Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

prefect posted:

In the US, we have "country club" prisons for white-collar crooks. Does the UK have the ssme kind of thing?

Yeah, Cat D open prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Welp, Leveson has gone in hard on the press, it's all sounding grimly excellent so far.

EDIT: And the police and politicians appear to be getting off pretty lightly.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Is it fair to characterise Leveson's proposal as statutory regulation one step removed? It sounds like he's recommending a self regulatory body that is itself subject to statutory regulation.

No, If anything it is closer to the current model of self-regulation, but with less direct influence from the press themselves. This is combined with a threat that if they don't play ball (Like Richard Desmond pulling his papers out of the PCC) then there will be a 'backstop' of regulation through an independent body like OFCOM.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Leveson has bowled a slow full toss at Cameron, and he and the Tories have contrived to trip over their own bat and knock the bails off.

Leveson's report is very much at the easy going end of what he could have suggested, yet Cameron is floundering and basically refusing to implement it. Ridiculous and maddening.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Munin posted:

You mean par for the course for that lot surely.

Yes, in the sense that everything they do is ridiculous and maddening :v:

Plavski posted:

What'd Clegg say?

The political equivalent of white noise.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

So the two major changes suggested by Leveson seem to be in regards to regulation and data protection. From by reading I understand that the changes are:

Regulation: The PCC+ will basically be the PCC but it will be more independent (less editors on the board, etc ) and will (hopefully, if Cameron doesn't poo poo himself) have another independent agency like the OFC making sure that it doesn't get corrupt and self-interested.

Data protection: The exemption for journalists won't be basically a carte blance exemption to override an individuals right to privacy where journalists can completely excuse themselves from privacy concerns based on the fact that they are journalists, but will have to cover themselves under more specific exemptions that are pretty much already catered for.

Thankfully, this isn't completely true.

A lot of the focus and debate has been on the 'big ticket' items like whether there should be statutory underpinning, who should draw up the guidelines, etc.

But everyone (important) has agreed to the 'Leveson principles', and the stuff he's set out is quite different from the PCC. Off the top of my head: 3rd party complaints allowed (makes it less easy to bash gays, muslims, etc. as a group), power to fine and censure (the PCC were literally toothless) and specific investigative powers.

It is not just the 'PCC2' that Lord Black and the papers wanted.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

:siren:Breaking News:siren:

Five UK phone hacking defendants, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, lose bid to block their prosecutions

I wonder at what point canaries start singing? Will they ever? Even when it becomes totally obvious that they're going to do time?

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ACRB posted:

The words used in RIPA "do not extend to cover voicemail messages once they have been accessed by the intended recipient".

So basically, they were arguing that a communication cannot have been 'intercepted' after the recipient had listened to it.

It's probably true that RIPA is unclear on this, and that this is one of those letter versus spirit of the law deals, but fortunately Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge (which is indeed the best title/name combo ever) told them to get hosed with that nonsense.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

rejutka posted:

After Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman and Randy Quaid saved us from the aliens, we listened to Bill and the whole world celebrates our Independence Day.

They'd still be shite against genetically-engineered shark people though.

This makes me wish desperately that Watson's resignation letter had just been the text from Bill Pulman's inspirational speech from ID4, completely unedited.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I do quite like the "Error 451 freedom of speech not found" page if you try to access the article in question without a proxy.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

While I wish nothing but harm on The Sun and all who sail in her, it's received wisdom that erecting a paywall on a previously free website is expected to result in around a 90% reduction in traffic.

These numbers for The Sun actually seem disappointingly positive, so let's hope it does eventually prove disastrous.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ewe2 posted:

What do people think of David Mitchell's defence of Paul Dacre and Rupert Murdoch? He seems to think a baby is being thrown out with the tabloid bathwater, and I'm uncertain whether this is a balanced argument.

It's your typical liberal bollocks and should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

The idea that Dacre or Murdoch are part of some mythical 'free press', worthy of having their transgressions nullified by their good deeds, would be laughable if it wasn't for the untold suffering and misery they have both caused to millions of people around the world.

Mitchell is a fantastic comedian, but on this issue he can get hosed.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

HRH Hero Harry hacked? Horrific!

Hallegedly.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TinTower posted:

Political parties are also required, under PPERA, to include similar information. Which often leads to expensive pulping operations when they forget. It's not a laughing matter.

If the scum get done for a billion quid over it, I don't think I'll be able to stop laughing.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I'm launching a new website on July 14th which plans to teach everyone about all sorts of open source investigation techniques, so some of you might find that interesting http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/brown-moses-announces-bellingcat-open.html

Apart from anything else, I loving love the name, and that logo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

notaspy posted:

Hats off to the PM, he is announcing an enquiry BUT it'll cover the NHS and the BBC along with government. Can anyone guess which organisation (s) will come off the worse? To the point they will need total root and branch reform, something best handled by the market.

Depressing how blatant and accepted this method of deflection is, to the point where the BBC report actually leads news of the enquiry by name-dropping itself and the NHS "as well as other major institutions" rather than any focus on Westminster.

• Locked thread