Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Snowbot posted:

What the gently caress? I didn't know abuse of minors was even an allegation in this whole thing. Did I not read the thread carefully enough? Can I get a source?

Would love more on this. I, too, found the sudden "abuse of minors" thing a bit weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Larry_Mullet posted:

It's a little more formal than that apparently...

"You must conceal all the crimes of your brother Masons, except murder and treason, and these only at your own option, and should you be summoned as a witness against a brother Mason be always sure to shield him. Prevaricate [falsify], don't tell the whole truth in his case, keep his secrets, forget the most important points. It may be perjury to do this, it is true, but you're keeping your obligations, and remember if you live up to your obligation strictly, you'll be free from sin."

(Edmond Ronayne, "Masonic Handbook," page 183)

Completely unrelated to Hackgate, but how on Earth can you hold the notion that swearing on the Bible to tell the (whole/nothing but the) truth, then lying while under oath keeps you in God's good graces?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ACanofPepsi posted:

The Brook's thought formatting a hard drive meant throwing it away in a public trash can. These criminals aren't very sophisticated.

Kinda makes me wonder what incredibly moronic things our generation of criminals is going to do. I mean, all of us are aware of how to electronically remove information and sign up for a free email account.

ETA: I know these particular individuals aren't convicted yet. Shouldn't have jumped the gun there.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is it common for people to alert the subjects of articles to the upcoming publication of said articles? The letter from the lawyer made it seem like it was a personal failing of the author not to have asked for the go-ahead from all parties mentioned in that piece.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Guy DeBorgore posted:

We've already seen in this thread that US law enforcement is very willing to use inadmissible data in its investigations, and then construct a fake sanitized "chain of evidence" that makes no mention of the data. They even have an official program for it IIRC. I wouldn't write off the prospect of government keyloggers and trojans just because they don't show up in court.

Believe it or not (and I almost did the same thing myself), this isn't the Snowden thread.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does it bother anyone that people are excited about the prurient contents of the dumped bag rather than the stuff that actually relates to the guilt or innocence of the Brooks?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I don't have time to look at this myself, but is this suggesting that Brooks was a victim of hacking in addition to/instead of its supervisor? How does that affect the charges being brought against her and her husband?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TinTower posted:

So, after a trans woman was literally hounded to suicide last year by press intrusion into her private life, you would think they'd have learnt not to do it again, right?

Hahahahahahahahaha nope:

Why not say which newspaper(s) sent the journalist(s)?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

They tend to track it locally, so the answer is more like "I don't know, but you can find out by mining the records of every municipal, county, and state police organization in the country and hoping they're accurate!"

Which to be honest is not a better answer.

Don't forget that most of the organizations you're asking will put up a huge number of barriers and stall for as long as possible to avoid releasing this information at all. Enjoy fighting the same battle several hundred/thousand times!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I kind of find it hard to believe because I find it hard to believe that so many people want to have sex with kids - it's such a mind bogglingly weird thing.

But rationally I know the alternative (manufactured scandal) is more unlikely so I just have to get used to the fact that way more of the population wants to gently caress kids than I'd thought :(

I don't think it's that large a fraction of the general population, but rather a surprisingly large fraction of the ruling class of England. I wonder how much of it is attributable to the fact that most of the people in question (a) are men, and (b) come from the English upper class. British aristocracy (at least historically) sent their children to boarding schools, at least some of which were all-male. Spending one's prepubescent and pubescent years in the almost exclusive company of boys seems like it could have unintended consequences.

I'm pretty much talking out of my rear end here, though, so anyone with firmer knowledge should feel free to correct me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Byolante posted:

Its not just the English elite raping kids. Its a problem everywhere as demonstrated by Australia currently doing a massive investigation, Denmark having done one in the past and others mentioned upthread.

Oh. I either didn't notice those or forgot about them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can someone remind me how this thread went from phone hacking to an actual not-joking infestation of pedophiles?

• Locked thread