Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur so this whole thing looks pretty good to me :3

It would look even better if I could actually purchase it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neruz posted:

Also I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur so this whole thing looks pretty good to me :3

It would look even better if I could actually purchase it :colbert:

So yea, 24 hours since the store went down? Sort of reduces your confidence in a person when you can't even throw money at them to play their game. Earlier people were talking about if the game would have benefited from release on Steam and at this point I'd say definitely.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd rather he takes more time to make sure it's all working properly, but yeah I would have thought the traffic issue could have been solved by now.

Then again it depends on who is hosting his site; some ISP's have a 'turnaround' time measured in weeks.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Reason posted:

So yea, 24 hours since the store went down? Sort of reduces your confidence in a person when you can't even throw money at them to play their game. Earlier people were talking about if the game would have benefited from release on Steam and at this point I'd say definitely.

You can't really blame a guy for his store exploding from people spamming it in a mad rush to buy the game. I don't see how that would reduce your confidence in him.

I'm honestly not surprised about the downtime, this isn't a situation like with Mojang where it is an "indie" company that is drowning in cash, but wont spend it on upgrading their staff.

Wolfram hasn't made his money yet, the team consists of himself and his wife. They just got the website this morning switched over to Amazon S3 to deal with server load and he is probably in the middle of getting the store switched over as well. He also said that the store wouldn't be open again until they 1) know that it can handle the stress and 2) he is able to make sure that everyone who did purchase it in that small time window actually got their copy. Both those things take time to do and actually increase my confidence that Wolfram wants to do things properly (he wants to make sure people get their poo poo and that the store doesn't burst into flames immediately after reopening). If this was Mojang, it would be some server box in a closet that only one person had access to and you'd have to wait for them to come into work the next day to flip the switch on it and they wouldn't upgrade it for years (this was a thing with their authentication servers, even when they had reached something like 7 million users before they upgraded to Amazon).

Wolfram should be judge by the quality of his game, not the fact that he got taken by surprise with how popular his game turned out to be. :/

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Reason posted:

Yeah those two people who made a game sure are incompetent. I mean it's not like server issues cause issues for massive AAA publishers at the top of their gam...oh wait, SimCity, Diablo 3...

I am being rude to you for effect.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah those two people who made a game sure are incompetent. I mean it's not like server issues cause issues for massive AAA publishers at the top of their gam...oh wait, SimCity, Diablo 3...

I am being rude to you for effect.

I am a little surprised they didn't anticipate this sort of thing from the beginning though. I would have started with an Amazon server from the get-go with a game as much hype as he's got, as well as a managed shopping experience, even if it does eat a bit into the profits.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Solvency posted:

I am a little surprised they didn't anticipate this sort of thing from the beginning though. I would have started with an Amazon server from the get-go with a game as much hype as he's got, as well as a managed shopping experience, even if it does eat a bit into the profits.

It's very easy to say things like this in hindsight. The popularity and demand caught them by complete surprise, and they're doing probably the best they can given the situation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Indeed, hindsight is much better than 20/20. If the store comes back up and falls down again then it will be time to complain.

Every indie dev gets one fuckup at release. It's only polite.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I hope he fixes it today because I want to play this game

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Lumis posted:

It's very easy to say things like this in hindsight. The popularity and demand caught them by complete surprise, and they're doing probably the best they can given the situation.

I think it's popularity would be pretty well known before he released it. The amount of email and twitter followers, people watching live-streams, and accounts created on his site should have given him an indication of the amount of people seriously interested in the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Solvency posted:

I think it's popularity would be pretty well known before he released it. The amount of email and twitter followers, people watching live-streams, and accounts created on his site should have given him an indication of the amount of people seriously interested in the game.

You would be legitimately surprised at how easy it is to underestimate poo poo like this.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Get instantly notified the moment it is available for purchase, also reduces server load on picroma:

http://direct.cyberkitsune.net/canibuycubeworld/

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Solvency posted:

Wolfram comes off as kind of humble and this is his first time doing this from what I can tell. So lack of experience would point towards a lot of the hiccups so far.

Also the Google trends image someone posted up thread is an indicator to me just how huge of an explosion this was suddenly.

If I would hazard a guess, a lot of the people who know about this game only just recently found out about it because of things like the Yogscast and what not getting closed Alpha access. I mean, he didn't even have a website until just recently. :v:

But yeah, as others are saying, I'd rather let him get it fixed now then have the store crash again an hour after restart. Gives me more time to convince others to get this game. :shobon:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Patience is a virtue goonlings.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Enzer posted:

Wolfram comes off as kind of humble and this is his first time doing this from what I can tell. So lack of experience would point towards a lot of the hiccups so far.

Also the Google trends image someone posted up thread is an indicator to me just how huge of an explosion this was suddenly.

If I would hazard a guess, a lot of the people who know about this game only just recently found out about it because of things like the Yogscast and what not getting closed Alpha access. I mean, he didn't even have a website until just recently. :v:

But yeah, as others are saying, I'd rather let him get it fixed now then have the store crash again an hour after restart. Gives me more time to convince others to get this game. :shobon:
Man, this guy is gonna make like, a bazillion dollars once he works out the payment options.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Indie guys really like to make their own store systems :pwn:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This could be so much cooler with good graphics. What is with the recent fascination with taking strides backwards in graphics: using big ugly atari-looking squares? He said that one of his influences was Diablo, which had great graphics. Actually, all of the games besides Minecraft had really good graphics.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

SERPUS posted:

This could be so much cooler with good graphics. What is with the recent fascination with taking strides backwards in graphics: using big ugly atari-looking squares? He said that one of his influences was Diablo, which had great graphics. Actually, all of the games besides Minecraft had really good graphics.

Because then it would just be a regular RPG? I honestly don't even see what currently makes it any different than any other RPG but whatever.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

SERPUS posted:

Honestly, I think the simple gradient shading works the best with how this game is rendered.

The fact that the terrain is so modular in shape and that things such as weapons have their model physically edited by players as they upgrade poo poo, would make applying textures to the game really hard.

If the dirt, grass and stone had applied textures, with how the terrain is, I think it would look like rear end.

Simple gradient shading gives the game a more whimsical feel, which I think best suits it. The game is bright and looks fun.

Just my opinion.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

SERPUS posted:

So more people with low-quality and cheap computers can play the game with a good framerate.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

hitze posted:

Indie guys really like to make their own store systems :pwn:

Good ones are expensive.

SERPUS posted:

Making 'randomly generated' content hold up to high level art standards is really loving hard and requires a lot of people pumping out assets and content.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I think you're confusing art direction with graphics. These may be cubes, but from all the vids and whatnot I've seen, it has a lot more polish to it than minecraft. Seems more artsy-fartsy to me and less "bad graphics".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Graphics and art don't always need to march towards total realism; stylisation is a perfectly valid art direction.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
No. In the grim darkness of the far gaming future everything is poo poo brown and dull grey.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SERPUS posted:

Voxels are ten times as futuristic as shaders and bump mapping. That's a fact.

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010

SERPUS posted:

With the same amount of time and the good graphics the game would look like a dull copy of Skyrim with 3 dungeons,3 armor and weapon sets,5 different monsters and only the forest landscape and nothing of the ramdomly generated and almost infinite parts

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Enzer posted:

Simple gradient shading gives the game a more whimsical feel, which I think best suits it. The game is bright and looks fun.

Just my opinion.

This sums it up really well, I feel.
Waiting eagerly for when I can buy it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So what sort of structure is this game going to have? My friends and I combined exploration with crafting and that drove both Minecraft and Terraria for us. I saw some discussion that this doesn't really any building tools per se so it's more like a procedurally generated adventure game or something? Trying to puzzle out what the gameplay is like is a bit confusing. I don't mind losing some of the sandbox components but I hope the enemy variety, exploration and loot stuff is compelling.

I don't know, watching some of the videos it seems a bit like multiplayer Zelda.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

So what sort of structure is this game going to have? My friends and I combined exploration with crafting and that drove both Minecraft and Terraria for us. I saw some discussion that this doesn't really any building tools per se so it's more like a procedurally generated adventure game or something? Trying to puzzle out what the gameplay is like is a bit confusing. I don't mind losing some of the sandbox components but I hope the enemy variety, exploration and loot stuff is compelling.

I don't know, watching some of the videos it seems a bit like multiplayer Zelda.

Multiplayer Zelda isn't far off. The big draw is supposed to be the infinite world, it will keep generating new areas with sets of monsters as you explore, new dungeons with bosses and loot, new towns and cities for you to visit and find (currently very simple) quests at. "Endgame" if you could call it that would be collecting cards to build your own big fancy mansion somewhere to display all your trophies in and store your loot. Crafting is cute in that you add little blocks to your items to increase their effectiveness but you control where on the item they get added so if you want to ad 30 +damage blocks to a sword you can make them into spikes along the side so now your sword is a serrated sword.

Levelling is infinite, everything is on a scale of 1-100 but the closer you get the 100 the less each level gets you and actually reaching 100 takes an infinite amount of levels. Supposed to feel like you're never "finished".

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Good (storefronts) are expensive.

The Humble Store only take a 5% cut, and handle payment through multiple sources, all the distribution, back-end, and it all ties into a larger Humble Bundle account if you want, so you get an easy page to access all previous purchases.

More indies need to go that way.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Death Himself posted:

Multiplayer Zelda isn't far off. The big draw is supposed to be the infinite world, it will keep generating new areas with sets of monsters as you explore, new dungeons with bosses and loot, new towns and cities for you to visit and find (currently very simple) quests at. "Endgame" if you could call it that would be collecting cards to build your own big fancy mansion somewhere to display all your trophies in and store your loot. Crafting is cute in that you add little blocks to your items to increase their effectiveness but you control where on the item they get added so if you want to ad 30 +damage blocks to a sword you can make them into spikes along the side so now your sword is a serrated sword.

Levelling is infinite, everything is on a scale of 1-100 but the closer you get the 100 the less each level gets you and actually reaching 100 takes an infinite amount of levels. Supposed to feel like you're never "finished".

Awesome, thanks for the info man. One quick question, do items have durability?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Gunslinger posted:

It seems more like a prettier WoW without the lovely MMO parts, but keeping the fun MMO parts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info man. One quick question, do items have durability?

Nope.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DatonKallandor posted:

It seems more like a prettier WoW without the lovely MMO parts, but keeping the fun MMO parts.

Combat is action based though (press button, sword hits bad guy) ala Zelda, as opposed to WOW "auto-attack and press other buttons at certain times as numbers pop up"

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Combat was very attack-dodge-attack-dodge when I played it a bit. There is a whole class for jumping and dodging around attacks too if you really like doing that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For those interested it seems they're posting more in-depth info about game systems while they fix things.

Mission structure/systems and warrior skills.

E: Apparently this game has dodge invincibility frames. :magical:

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 3, 2013

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Orv posted:

For those interested it seems they're posting more in-depth info about game systems while they fix things.

Posted June 22nd. Newer posts are at the top of the page. :ssh:

Orv posted:

E: Apparently this game has dodge invincibility frames. :magical:
..and enemies can dodge :D

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Orv posted:

Even though that was posted June 22nd, look at how many comments it has.

30,701 comments.
:stare:

Orv
May 4, 2011
My bad! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Dominic White posted:

The Humble Store only take a 5% cut, and handle payment through multiple sources, all the distribution, back-end, and it all ties into a larger Humble Bundle account if you want, so you get an easy page to access all previous purchases.

More indies need to go that way.

The Humble Store doesn't have autopatching.

• Locked thread