Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tempo 119 posted:

Eureka's good too but I never got any Fringe from it beyond the pseudoscience angle.

W13 has a dour lady with a photographic memory, a guy who's tough but actually kind of a sap, a grumpy old man with a shady past and a techo-genius from a mental institution (yeah Walter's such a good character they had to split him between two actors). They form a ragtag secret agent team and fight supernatural crimes. Now check out this sweet car!

No cow, no buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tempo 119 posted:

Anyone else think Warehouse 13 is basically a campy, budget version of Fringe? It ends next week, I've been watching through it and it really strikes me as being very Fringe-esque. It even has the same kind of awful product placement for cars, but on the plus side they actually re-use some of the cool poo poo they find pretty often. It can be a bit rubbish sometimes, but I'm enjoying it on the whole.

They're both following The X-Files, I suppose.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tempo 119 posted:

Eureka's good too but I never got any Fringe from it beyond the pseudoscience angle.

W13 has a dour lady with a photographic memory, a guy who's tough but actually kind of a sap, a grumpy old man with a shady past and a techo-genius from a mental institution (yeah Walter's such a good character they had to split him between two actors). They form a ragtag secret agent team and fight supernatural crimes. Now check out this sweet car!

They do have an entire alternate universe that becomes a major point of the latter seasons. :v:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

computer parts posted:

They do have an entire alternate universe that becomes a major point of the latter seasons. :v:

Oh yeah I forgot they did the whole season 4 reset thing as well! It worked better on Eureka than Fringe IMO.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Are the videos from the op available anywhere other than the links?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
just watching season 3 episode 2 (30 min mark). Olivia's bathroom is tiled with no fall towards the drain. Immersion ruined. :spergin:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever explicitly link together the autistic genius dude that could calculate the probabilities of anything happening and the Observers doing the same thing?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Did they ever explicitly link together the autistic genius dude that could calculate the probabilities of anything happening and the Observers doing the same thing?

No, but I assume that was because the genius was from Over There, which didn't seem to have any Observers.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The alternate universe didn't seem to have any observers but they could get there as shown in the second to last episode when they rescued observer kid. For some reason they just didn't seem to have any interest. That reason probably being budget and time constraints but I'd have preferred to see the alternate universe deal with the observers instead of the bulk of season 4.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I started re-watching the show recently, and in the very first episode there is a cat outside the lab windows, you just see its shadow walking along, and it makes a sound.
This is the first time I noticed it, and it just seems like an odd thing, since it has nothing to do with the show.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

No, but I assume that was because the genius was from Over There, which didn't seem to have any Observers.

It's weird, because it's literally the same thing, down to the guy's brain being incapable of processing emotions.

I wonder if they were going to link them somehow and then just didn't have time/money/forgot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm up to mid way through season 3 again.

Just realised Fuaxlivia boyfriend is Stonebridge from Strike Back

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

It's weird, because it's literally the same thing, down to the guy's brain being incapable of processing emotions.

I wonder if they were going to link them somehow and then just didn't have time/money/forgot.

That's actually a really good idea, but I doubt it even occurred to them. A 5th season where both Fringe Divisions were fighting an Observer invasion in the present would have been better than what we got.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, its not like fringe to just drop plot lines or anything.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

I thought it was just implied: "Look, here's where technology is taking us." We're A, Observers are Z, and genius guy was filling out one of the steps in between.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I thought it was interesting how they just took it as a given that people should be genetically altered, just that they were altered "wrongly" in the future.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I just got to the fourth season episode where "Welcome to 23 years in the future the Observers rule and poo poo" happens and I immediately stopped the episode. Where does this show go from this point? Does it suck or is it worth continuing?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It ramps up to excellence of the highest order.

:getin:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
An unexpected thing happened in an episode of a tv show I was watching, so I stopped watching it.

Internet, should I continue watching it?

YES / NO

Every vote counts. Please help.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I just got to the fourth season episode where "Welcome to 23 years in the future the Observers rule and poo poo" happens and I immediately stopped the episode. Where does this show go from this point? Does it suck or is it worth continuing?

Almost everybody would agree that you're past the show's peak, but if you're enjoying it keep watching it. You pretty much have to watch that episode if you keep going since all of season 5 is a continuation of it, but even if you don't like that direction then you can finish up season 4 since it never comes up again for the rest of the season.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Almost everybody would agree that you're past the show's peak, but if you're enjoying it keep watching it. You pretty much have to watch that episode if you keep going since all of season 5 is a continuation of it, but even if you don't like that direction then you can finish up season 4 since it never comes up again for the rest of the season.

Okay that's all I needed to hear. The sudden switch was pretty jarring and I was worried I'd lose all the silly banter between Walter and the cast.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 5, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It is very jarring. The last season is really different, but it's got some really great moments in it (and the current thread title). It's a neat shift to the shows established style, and it's only thirteen episodes long. If yous kip out on it, I'll be happy to fill you in and show you the neat things to look up on youtube.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I just watched the episode. The bar scene and the notGestapo were a bit cringeworthy, but the reintroduction of half the cast was enough to make me enjoy it. I guess I'm in for the long haul.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I just watched the episode. The bar scene and the notGestapo were a bit cringeworthy, but the reintroduction of half the cast was enough to make me enjoy it. I guess I'm in for the long haul.

Season 5 is great (better than season 4 in my opinion), but it's essentially a miniseries too. It's its own plot. It also provides a much more suitable resolution for the characters than season 4's attempt at that, which felt rather rushed and pat to me.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Really? That's what lost you? If you've watched all of Fringe up to this point and you think that's too crazy, you probably might as well quit yeah

Season 5 is strange as hell but they did certain things better than they ever had before. But it also constitutes Fringe getting to end on its own terms, in a way only Fringe could pull off. It rules.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah the finale is awesome and if you've enjoyed Fringe at all, you owe it to motherfuckin Walter Bishop to stick with it until the end.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'll miss the animated episode... you don't want to do that!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Rocksicles posted:

You'll miss the animated episode... you don't want to do that!

That was season 3. Unless you're talking about that one short sequence during Walter's Final Trip™

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Almost everybody would agree that you're past the show's peak,

Nope, sorry, not when season 5 dishes out poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdKRiD4TJs

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hard Clumping posted:

That was season 3. Unless you're talking about that one short sequence during Walter's Final Trip™

Forgot about season 3.

Yeah WTF WFT!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah the finale is awesome and if you've enjoyed Fringe at all, you owe it to motherfuckin Walter Bishop to stick with it until the end.

One of the things I disliked about the end was that it took away the concept of the trial of Walter Bishop for his crimes against the two universes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V-Men posted:

One of the things I disliked about the end was that it took away the concept of the trial of Walter Bishop for his crimes against the two universes.

That sort of went away when they closed the bridge though, especially when the two Walters sat down together.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show deserves lots of credit for not backing down from making Walter's indefensible selfishness responsible for destroying the other side. A lesser show would have had the other Walter be the driving force for most of the damage. Also, it would have made him less responsible for keeping Peter somehow, like making crossing too infeasible or a legitimate problem he couldn't solve. Really he was just weak.

I'm equally impressed with them keeping the other Walter a victim wracked with genuine grief for the most part, and that they worked so hard to properly redeem him--even if it was kind of a cheat. I just love that the show kept compassion for everyone and made genuine human error the real villain. At least outside of insane Leonard Nimoy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

If that loses you then you may wish to reevaluate your taste in television.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

The heartbeat of Season 5 is the redemption of Walter Bishop. While it would have been fun I guess to deal with some sort of courtroom drama involving a half insane man Emoting, The Wyman chose a wildass alternate future hellscape of honest to God full-on network sci-fi chock full of character moments.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

V-Men posted:

Yes, the one thing missing from the show about futuremen smogging up the present and ghost typewriters and float bullets and a cow with an FBI jacket: prolonged courtroom scenes

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 6, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Hard Clumping posted:

Yes, the one thing missing from the show about futuremen smogging up the present and ghost typewriters and float bullets and a cow with an FBI jacket: prolonged courtroom scenes
Yes, because that's totally what he meant. A literal trial. Not, y'know, an important thematic element of the show or anything like that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

Yes, because that's totally what he meant. A literal trial. Not, y'know, an important thematic element of the show or anything like that.

The only thing he could have meant was a literal trial, because Walter's entire Season 5 arch was an metaphorical trial. It was about a man finally coming to terms with what he had wrought in a very real sense, and sacrificing himself in order to redeem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still think the two dumbest things they did plot-wise was during the reset universe making Bell into a ridiculous villain with crazy motives, and turning the Observers into the main antagonists at the end, which I still say doesn't work for them.

• Locked thread