Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

wormil posted:

It wasn't an unreasonable assumption and every Fringe episode review I've read along with many others on the internet made the same assumption. Whether it was the original plan or not, the Broyles traitor plotline felt rushed and awkward.

Obviously most viewers assumed he was a shape shifter, that doesn't mean that they changed their mind at the last minute. The story was better for it not being what we thought it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Klungar posted:

Weren't the missing pieces cooked down and injected into him last season? I clearly remember this happening, but couldn't tell you when it did.

It was the episode where they showed the future world controlled by the observers, he seemed to get all his brain functions back

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was a bit surprised to see Olivia still alive, after what Walter said during that last episode. I really hope the brain scramble thing is just temporary, it would be a perfect way to end the series for John Noble to get to play a new version of Walter, of course him getting any Emmy nomination would also help, but i don't have much faith in the people running that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Man, i have a real hard time seeing that this is Desmond, i know it is the same actor, i just don't see it.

J33uk posted:

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about the season so far? The acting and writing as per usual feel very very strong, but there are some other elements that just don't seem to click for me. The portrayal of the Observers so far (and hey, we're only two episodes in) is reminding me far too much of the Cro-mags from Sliders. They're a technologically all powered up race who invade, take over and then just seem to start doing evil poo poo for the sake of it. Is there any particular reason they're doing all this human experimentation?

I disagree, i think this is just about the best the show has ever been.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

General Ironicus posted:

The other simplest explanation is that the resemblance is coincidental and the look they give each other at the end is out of mutual confusion.

Yeah, I never got the impression that he was a kid observer, especially since they explain his origin in that episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

boom boom boom posted:

I know they're trying to maintain a low profile while they do this dumb as hell tape hunting bullshit, but come on people, this is Insurgency 101 stuff!

But the thing is that they only have a limited amount of time to find the plans before the earth is changed for good, an insurgency would take much too long.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, but remember they aren't actually supposed to be doing any resistance stuff. They're supposed to be waiting for Astrid to burrow her way to the next thing, then go get what whatever that thing tells them to get. Then they put all of those things together and something will happen, or not.
Probably not, so the stakes can be raised even higher!

They can either wait around in safety while Walter and Astrid spend a day or so getting the next tape, that leads them to the plan that will save everyone.

Or they can organise a resistance, and very likely get killed or captured in order to annoy the Observers who are going to disappear if the real plan works.

There is already a resistance, it doesn't need two extra people who are important in the plan to save the world.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Friendly Factory posted:

I think the majority of season 1 was just bad. It was boring and slow. From the point where Jones teleports out of the prison though, season 1 becomes pretty drat good and from then on I've loved the show. The fear of cancellation really made the show better. Apparently the alternate universe reveal from the end of season 1 was not meant to happen until like season 3. Can you imagine how boring and drawn out the series would be if that had happened?

I think the show started out really good, and by the 4th or 5th episode got great, i don't think the alternate universe had anything to do with the show hitting its stride.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't really care for most of the LSD parts of this episode, but the Monty Python sequence was pretty funny. There is one thing i find strange though, the entire episode seemed to go in a direction of Walter with his full mind intact is evil, when previously he has just been very arrogant.

Going to the observers with his knowledge would be both stupid and actively evil, the original Walter has never seemed to be either.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
While John Noble is undoubtable the best on the show, i think Joshua Jackson has been consistently great throughout the entire series. I don't know which show i like better, but Fringe has been more more even in terms of quality, given the reliance of flashbacks, i found Lost to be very uneven sometimes depending on how interesting the characters in the flashbacks are.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Without John Noble it would still be a really good show, he is simply the one that gives it the extra edge.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is a shame we never really got that much character development on Astrid, that episode last season was wasted.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
While i didn't loved every single episode, i think overall every season of Fringe was amazing (While i had some problems with season 4 when it was airing, it all went away when re-watching it), it was more consistently great than pretty much any other tv show i can think of. Also really liked the finale.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would say it is around episode 5 or so in season 1, the one with the observer, that is where I felt it really started getting great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know some people will disagree, but i don't belive in skipping episodes or seasons you have never watched, just because you are afraid you might not like them. Skipping ahead will always give you a lesser experience.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even if the series started up very similar to X-Files, I always thought it was a good X-Files "copy", and of course it quickly turned into its own thing..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I still think the show was good from the first episode, and even though it wasn't that spectacular in the first season, it was still a good show that was worth watching.

People tend to forget that very few genre shows have great first seasons, take Buffy, it is one of the most highly regarded genre shows ever, by both fans and critics, but if you had just stopped after the first season, you would probably not consider it anything special.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
John Noble's daughter wrote a script for a short film, which John Noble starred in, i won't spoil anything by saying what it is about : http://www.tvguide.com/news/fringe-noble-premiere-1064892.aspx

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

der juicen posted:

Awake was great. Day Break and Journeyman as well. All one season, very fun shows.

Awake really was a great show, and agree with what others have said about Day Break. I really want to watch X-Files again, but i am afraid that it might have aged poorly..

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think both season 4 and 5 were great

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
John Noble is going to have a recurring role in Sleepy Hollow : http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/fringes-john-noble-joins-sleepy-hollow/

The first episode of the series was good, so that is great news.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Fringe I don't recommend Almost Human because it's disappointingly boring.

I disagree, Sleepy hollow had a great start but the rest of the season was merely good. Almost human is in my opinion the best new show this season, it is rare that a show is that good early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I started re-watching the show recently, and in the very first episode there is a cat outside the lab windows, you just see its shadow walking along, and it makes a sound.
This is the first time I noticed it, and it just seems like an odd thing, since it has nothing to do with the show.

• Locked thread