Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm convinced that multiple people responsible for that game are Fringe fans.

It's funny, because in the original announcement and teaser trailer there was nothing about those Fringe-y elements. It was only after season 2 of Fringe ended that they released the footage and said "Oh yeah, opening rifts in the fabric of reality is a gameplay element and by sheer coincidence the visual effects are almost identical to the ones Fringe used."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I recently watched my way through Alias and it's ridiculous how many concepts from Fringe seemed to get a dry run in Alias first. I know that JJ Abrams' involvement in Fringe wasn't super in-depth, but off the top of my head:

-Both heroines were selected as children for top-secret experimentation due to innate biological factors, Sydney due to her gifted spatial reasoning and Olivia due to her Cortexiphan tolerance.
-Both of them underwent experimentation and programming that they consciously forgot but was subconsciously an asset, and which they later remembered after investigating the programs that led to their programming.
-Both shows had ongoing plots about a race to collect ancient artifacts that could be assembled to create a giant, mysterious device that promised world-destroying power.
-Peter Bishop and Sydney Bristow were both the subject of ancient prophecies complete with drawings of their likeness made centuries before they were born.
-The relationship between Walter Bishop and William Bell is very similar to the relationship between Jack Bristow and Arvin Sloane, where both of them are gifted in their field and start to turn to the dark side but one has a change of heart and pulls out (Walter by removing chunks of his brain, Jack by becoming a CIA informant) while the other descends into full-blown megalomania and ultimately winds up a villain despite multiple turns as a good guy.

I'm sure that this was all super-obvious and pointed out/discussed when the show was airing, but it was still a total :monocle: realization for me. If anything, I'm glad that I watched Fringe first because I liked its handling of the concepts so much more than Alias and it would suck to have the character beats and plot devices somewhat spoiled by a show that didn't embrace the crazy sci-fi nature as much as Fringe did.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DarklyDreaming posted:

Honestly I think the writers had a plan for Agent Jessup but realized that it was a dumb plan and stopped before any real story damage could be done

I'm pretty sure Agent Jessup was supposed to be an audience surrogate so new viewers would have the show's premise and events explained to them. They didn't have anything for her after that so she just vanished.

Think of it as the entirety of season 4 in a microcosm.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I finally got a friend to start watching Fringe because they're absolutely gaga about Sleepy Hollow and that show shares a lot of its DNA with Fringe. :dance:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Peter's shady past and possible connection to organized crime/terrorism are one of the plot threads they dropped when they decided to skip right to the alternate universe plot halfway through season one when the ratings were less than stellar.

Thank gently caress for that. Joshua Jackson trying to look tough was always laughable, right down to the last season when they thought that painting him grey and having him make the :mad: face constantly made him look like a badass.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did the writers even have a plan for the parallel universe at the start of season 1 or did they make it up halfway through after John Scott went back to his home planet?

The official line is that it was the original plan but they were going to drag it out for years before they revealed that the parallel universe was behind it all. When the ratings and critical reception were underwhelming they (badly) tied up the ZFT plotline and jumped right to the parallel world stuff.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed...I also didn't like how that threw so much out the window.

In interviews at the time the showrunners were hyping it up as an opportunity to attract new viewers, but even at the time I thought that was bullshit. If you have a cult sci-fi TV show that's given a 4th season in spite of traditional television wisdom because it has a hardcore fanbase that consistently tunes in even on Fridays you thank your lucky stars and keep doing your thing, you don't get greedy and throw out the things your hardcore viewers are invested in in the name of attracting a new audience that didn't materialize the first time the show started.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

John Noble has been made a regular on Sleepy Hollow. I now have to watch it.

It's also created by the same people who made Fringe, only they learned their lesson because it hits the ground running and has an even better balance between MotW and plot with the 13-episode seasons.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Fringe is right up there with the X-files as two of my favorite shows ever and Sleepy Hollow is well on its way to join those. The leads have fantastic chemistry and all the actors look like they have a blast making the show; check out Orlando Jones' twitter feed sometime.

Orlando Jones makes Joshua Jackson reading fanfiction at ComicCon look downright quaint.

Regy Rusty posted:

Sleepy Hollow is literally all about seeing what crazy thing is going to happen next. It's exactly like Fringe in that respect.

To try and compare Fringe's pacing to Sleepy Hollow's: imagine if they revealed that The Pattern was the result of an alternate dimension in the pilot, that Peter was from said alternate dimension 8 episodes in, and the season 2 finale occurred at the end of episode 13.

That's Sleepy Hollow. They didn't need to spin their wheels for a season and almost get cancelled to light a fire under their rear end this time.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the lack of follow up on the 'Peter turning into an observer' thing was odd. A lot of threads on that show got dropped very fast. They never really continued the story arc they seemed to be setting up for the more human version of the Shapeshifters after they did the universe reset.

It was pretty funny that they went to the trouble to humanize shapeshifters before having Peter go on his mass-killing spree of them that went nowhere.

But nothing is going to top "this is the man who kills me" when it comes to dropped plotlines.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I just marathoned this show over the course of a month or two from start to finish. It was a fun show when it was a pseudo-X-Files, with weekly mysteries wrapped around a smaller meta-plot. As it got towards the end I almost completely lost interest but I have a hard time dropping a show I have committed to so I saw it through. The ending left more holes than I care to get into. It was probably one of the worst TV show endings I have ever seen.

That being said a majority of the seasons were really good, but when they started focussing solely on the meta-plot is when it got boring for me. It did fill my X-file want pretty good. I always hated Olivia. Astrid and Walter ruled. Peter was ok. Gene was the best character of the show. September was cool.

Fringe: "Because its cool (before the last couple seasons)!"

I didn't think the ending was that bad but it still slays me that Olivia goes Super Saiyan and drains the power out of the entire city to just kind of shove a car a few feet and smash a dude.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I just got to the fourth season episode where "Welcome to 23 years in the future the Observers rule and poo poo" happens and I immediately stopped the episode. Where does this show go from this point? Does it suck or is it worth continuing?

Almost everybody would agree that you're past the show's peak, but if you're enjoying it keep watching it. You pretty much have to watch that episode if you keep going since all of season 5 is a continuation of it, but even if you don't like that direction then you can finish up season 4 since it never comes up again for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

One of the things I disliked about the end was that it took away the concept of the trial of Walter Bishop for his crimes against the two universes.

Because season 3 of Battlestar Galactica was so great.

• Locked thread