Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, over all Fringe had pretty loving horrendous long term plotting, as evidence by the poo poo storm that was Season Four.

Answering the criticism by saying that it was a failed experiment ('but at least it was an experiment') is all well and good but I can't imagine why any good writer would seriously consider removing all of the major characters from a series and replacing them with alternate versions.

I'm going to remember Fringe for all the things it did right (mainly Seasons One and Two) and ignore all the horrendous mistakes it made. In all fairness they were always under a lot of pressure from the shadow of cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I really did not mind season 4 since it made it possible for Universe B was able to be redeemed. If the reset did not happen then Walternate would remain a horrible person and not the sympathetic guy we got in season 4. Also we would not have gotten the gate closing scene.

I wish Walternate had been written as sympathetic but driven by revenge from the very beginning. My problem with Season Three is that I didn't give a poo poo about our Olivia being stuck over there or their Olivia being evil over here. It was so cartoonish and broad to me, just waiting for the inevitable returns.

I think it would've been cooler to see Peter purposefully stay in Universe B at the end of Season Two, and have that be the catalyst to A Olivia and he's relationship problems. That way Peter could've grown genuinely attached to all the people over there, and only came back when he realized what Walternate's plan one - it could've played out like a tragedy, and Peter's eventually sacrifice in the machine would've truly been for the best of both worlds.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Personally, I enjoyed the first season of Fringe, but the 2nd and 3rd were better. (It was all downhill from there... Sorry, my unpopular opinion).

I think the first and second season of Fringe where the best, while the third, fourth and fifth were pretty lovely from beginning to end. It just fell apart the more ambitious the writers got, because they didn't have the ability to pull off their own concepts well, or those concepts were flawed to begin with.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So you think the while war with the other side was lovely? Since it really only occured in season 3.

Well I think the first and second season did a good job of establishing the stakes involved and setting up the eventual war, but then Season Three decided to trade that in for;

An overly long imposter storyline (I just didn't find that at all interesting, and would've preferred the writers found a more natural way to include B-Fringe Division stories, one that didn't make the A-team look like morons).

The machine and it's confusing, ill-thought out storyline (the explaination of its origin was okay, though a little bit boring as it was all told to us but not really shown). This machine, by the way, was entirely forgotten about in subsequent seasons, and despite having several episodes dedicated to explaining how it functioned the writers felt no need to even mention in passing how it continued to do so in season four.

The storyline about Sam Weiss which had a pay-off far more mundane than the series had built it up to be (I'm taller than I look, etc). Remember that Sam Weiss was a character built up for nearly the entirely of season three only to die off-screen, acknowledged with only a passing remark, in the future timeline.

The William Bell possession storyline (which existed only to tell Walter things he'd already learned about himself and to give Anna Torv a chance to impersonate another actor, despite the series speeding towards a finale they thought might be there last). Soul Magnets.

B-Olivia being pregnant (complete with previously unseen rapid gestation drugs and a silly, prophecy-lite motivation).

LSD, an episode so devoid of any real meaning that even the one future hint was brushed off as meaningless, and given the reset universe in which the pay-off occurred, confusing. Not only that but the episode was ugly as sin, with animation at the same level of quality as a cheap flash web game.

The very ending, which led into the worst reset in recent TV history.

So yes, overall I found Season 3 to be pretty lovely, especially seeing as the war with the other side never really happened, it was just built up to again and then eventually stopped in the finale. If nothing else Season 3 began the steady slide into awfulness that befell the last two seasons.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Honestly I think the writers had a plan for Agent Jessup but realized that it was a dumb plan and stopped before any real story damage could be done

The writers decided to drop or pick up stories on a whim happened all the time on this show, it's just a shame that after the first two seasons they basically decided to pick up all the poo poo ones they could imagine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Exploder posted:

I feel the same way, but looking back on it, I don't see what else they could have done. It was the Observers' plan to erase Peter from the timeline anyway.

You know that it was actually the writers plan, don't you? It's bullshit to treat fiction like an historical document when the writers could've taken literally any direction and made it work within the larger fiction because they create both of them from scratch.

Also Fringe went downhill from the end of Season Two onwards.

The main problems with the changes Peter found in the Season Four timeline is that it felt like the writers came up with the differences and then worked backwards to how Peter dying caused them, rather than it being a fluid, meaningful line of change.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 30, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Stargate was way better at that than Fringe. Frankly I don't think Fringe ever did a good job of having a consistent story, let alone mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If you make that thread the title should be 'Fringe Retrospective - As suspected… It's airtight' in reference to the scene in Parks and Rec when they give the show a shout out.

• Locked thread