Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Aatrek posted:

Maybe Olivia is off being a coffee table or something

Was this in a preview I missed or are you an Observer?

I have seen every version of the future, and in each you must become a coffee table.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

So it will turn into The Happening?

I just realized that we will never see Gene again :(

Maybe the observers took a sample of her DNA for preservation. Or perhaps Walter gave her and ambering device. :ohdear:

I know there's no time for filler this season but if we could have another episode like S19 of the previous seasons I'd wanted it to be centered around the hijinks busting up observers and liberating Gene from the amber. That observers line about "Resistance is Futile" gave me a bit of a nerd boner.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 30, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well that's not a problem for someone whose done acid.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Bell was in amber and the Observers have him now.Remember Walter took his hand?

If his fate was anything like not-desmonds then I'd say he's a gonner.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

ClydeUmney posted:

Random question I don't remember: what is special about the guns that can shoot Observers? That is, what makes them able to kill them? And where did they come from?

It was Bell, there was a line in the episode where September got shot about how Bell designed the gun that shoots faster than they can move.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Next Week Promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_GgRKnfmks

Peter might just turn into the Terminator before all this is done. I loved Olivia's little quip to the observer before she shot him. "Yeah, it is that kind of gun."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 3, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

October

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

Did it bother anyone else that the dimensional portal device was just a laser printer with the outside plastic removed?

On a show about a drug using mad scientist, multiple universes, and bullet-time time traveling dapper fellows, no I do not.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Wasn't there an episode in season 2 or season 3 where either the fringe team or someone else got a hold of one of the notebooks the observers write in? I'd have sworn I remember a line tossed in about how there wasn't a single repeating character and how that made it impossible to translate since all language is based on repitition or something to that effect?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Was it just me or were the head movements of the Oberservers/Peter really overplayed this episode?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

An Observer pulse gun was definitely used this season at least once, I don't remember exactly when.

Whle they were Iin the pocket universe. Oddly enough the name of the assassins the observers hired in that s2 episode was Donald.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Taffer posted:

Two hour finale? There is a god.

And his name is Walter Bishop

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Seriously when they pulled the cover off the first observer in the lab I'd have sworn it was William Bell

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

gently caress the world, Fringe as we know it ceases to exist in 3 weeks. December 21st my rear end, more like January 18th.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Anna Torv does a pretty good spock

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Fringe has had wildly inconsistent quality episode-to-episode since season 1. It got so bad in season 3 that the only reason I enjoyed some episodes was because they weren't nearly as bad as the previous week's. Without John Noble it would probably be about as well regarded as Falling Skies or Terra Nova.

That's pretty loving harsh man.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Gonna have to agree with this. John carries this show. Anna is okay and Joshua is god damned terrible. But John constantly owns. Without him I'm not sure I would have stuck around

How does it feel to be literally hitler

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

der juicen posted:

I hope we get one last new Fringe opening. :(

If we got a combination Red/Blue/1985/Observer opening I'd have to clean out my shorts

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

I'm betting all their heads will explode when Walter messes with their air machines and pumps LCD into everything.

I'm visualizing the sky filled with flying 22 inch flat panel Dells

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Old Dirty Custard posted:

I think you have the right idea although most of Season 3 was still in the 1-2 timeline. I think White Tulip's purpose in the series was to establish how time travel works in the Fringe-verse and what we've seen over the whole series is pretty consistent with that when you consider meddling from the future. Due to their ability to "run futures" I think the Observers are all working in such a way that the society they left always exists even when the events that lead up to it are changed.

I think of it kind of like a math equation:

2015 + 296 + 148 + 150 = 2609

Think of the numbers after 2015 like different eras in human history. So then the Observers travel back in time and change some things but then because they know the exact end result they're preserving they can just change some of the middle numbers(eras) and end up with the same result

2015 + 140 + 156 + 148 + 150 = 2609

So in this example they destroyed a 296 year period and created a new 140 year period that results in a 156 year period that ultimately leads to the same 148 + 150 year periods in the history leading up to 2609. The middle years don't need to be exactly the same as long as the result is the same and they're so far in the future that they can get away with some long-lasting changes. "They're just better at math than we are."

I think they're plan could be either:
1. Use the degredation units to make the Earth's air more hospitable to them so they can all move back in time from 2609 or
2. The environment degradation units (either on their own or in conjunction with other stuff their doing/building) results in the same basic 2609 but with a planet that can still support some sort of life.

Otherwise it could just be a Universe C curve-ball where they found our universe in 2609 but observed that our universe rivaled them technologically at that point so they traveled back in time to both eradicate their rivals in our 2609 and so as not to interfere with their own timeline. Or maybe they figured out how to cross between universes in 2609 and said "hey! there were 2 other universes here at one point and they destroyed each other by 2026 so lets get this Peter kid to stop that and then we can just take one of them!"

I think it was implied that September halted his maturation and his extraordinary abilities are there specifically because he was still in the child phase. It would make sense in the Fringe-verse since Walter and Bell were trying to harness the untapped potential of 1980s children with the cortexiphan trials. September observed how fathers care for their sons first and then later when a new observer was being created from his DNA he felt that connection and stopped it.

Yeah that's the way I see it: the air quality gradually deteriorated between the 2000s and the 2600s and with each new generation of humans they adapted to their environment which gradually had less and less oxygen. I think that when Walter said that in 2609 the planet was fundamentally uninhabitable he was right but by this point the Observers had structures/biodomes to live in. The problem they face is that because the planet is uninhabitable they will eventually run out of resources and die from lack of nourishment or they'll run out of oxygen which they do still need to some extent.

I'm pretty sure they showed Biodomes briefly in the last episode when Windmark went back to the future (:science:)

Also I'll be needing a change of shorts after that trailer. John Noble just deserves all the awards. Including the Congressional Medal of Honor.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Taffer posted:

But brace yourself, because unlike Fringe it has horrible acting and writing.

This is really wrong and nobody should be dissuaded from watching Continuum. It's never been bad and is only getting better. Why should you watch Continuum? Because its cool!

It's by no definition Fringe but good sci if is hard to come by and you can do far worse. I think Defiance is far worse for example. I don't hate it, and there is a ton of potential but its got noting on Continuum.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 11, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

macnbc posted:

I didn't understand what the point of rescuing Broyles in the last episode though. I felt they were setting it up to have him take down Widmark but he didn't really do much after that.

An excuse to unbox every weird thing Fringe ever encountered in five years.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Deakul posted:

Defiance is pretty great actually, far more scifi than Continuum could ever hope to be.
It just took a few eps pick up but once it gets going it definitely brings back memories of shows like Firefly and Farscape.

I've watched all of Defiance up to this point but haven't played the game. We'll have to agree to disagree but I'm pretty surprised to see someone put it on the level of either of those shows. Like I said I think it shows a lot of promise but to me it seems a lot more like a show that's concept has outpaced its execution to this point. I do agree it's getting better though. Certainly I see how the concept of Firefly and Defiance have some similarities but I just can not see the acting and writing of the former being even remotely in the same league as the latter.

Defiance sure as hell has a ton of potential but the execution to this point just hasn't impressed me. Defiance is more "sci-fi" for sure than Continuum I guess I just find Continuum to be much better by all measures. Irissa for example is totally replaceable or you could just get rid of her all together. Datak, Stahma and Doc Golfball are about the only ones at this point I think they couldn't out right get rid of and not be any worse off for it.

For example if they put a bullet in the heads of the mayor, her sister, the Tarr kid, Rafe and his family what would the show really suffer? They've set up a great world to explore but it just seems largely wasted. Certainly I understand the budget reasons but I think I'd find the story of how the world got the way it is rather than the artificial family drama they're manufacturing far more compelling.

Continuum has its share of filler characters, mostly on the "villain" side for me. For example I dislike most of the Liber8 guys, and the spelling bugs the hell out of me but thus far it seems everyone fills some purpose and there is a very serious moral ambiguity about the whole thing. The guys portrayed as villains could quite well turn out to be the heros as opposed to the mustachio twirling villains that is the E-rep.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 11, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

door Door door posted:

Awesome, glad to hear I'm not wasting my time on this show because I'm liking it more with each episode.

You'd be forgiven if you don't care for season 4 but honestly just power through all of it until you hit S4E19 then ride the train to crazy town. Why?

Because its cool!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Nichael posted:

I think she was meant to be someone new to the team for new viewers to latch onto. Then they obviously abandoned that idea. I'm not sure on the exact details.

If I remember right she was into some religious bullshit before she returned to her home planet.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

There's the grandfather of all dropped plotlines: Agent Jessup

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The alternate universe didn't seem to have any observers but they could get there as shown in the second to last episode when they rescued observer kid. For some reason they just didn't seem to have any interest. That reason probably being budget and time constraints but I'd have preferred to see the alternate universe deal with the observers instead of the bulk of season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

And one for LSD too

• Locked thread