Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

So if minds of those in trapped in amber remain active, how would Gene have behaved if they had gotten her out of the amber?

Standing in one spot all day is kinda what cows do, so I can't imagine she would have been too pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fast Luck posted:

Oh yeah and I'm not too sure how all the time travel paradoxes make sense but I don't really mind some handwaving.

Fringe's approach to them seemed similar to Stephen King's in his book 11/22/63. When asking the protagonist asks the guy who's been time traveling "What if you go back and shoot your grandfather?" the only response he gets is "Why the gently caress would you do that?". There's some situations going through the paradox thing works with, some things it really goddamn doesn't.

Actually, now that I think of both at the same time, anyone who likes the time-travelly last few seasons of Fringe should really read 11/22/63.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Diogenes Ex posted:

It's a complete cop-out for bad writing, and the most annoying thing is that some fans fall for it. It's like saying, "Well, the real point wasn't for the mechanic to fix the car, it was to watch him putting metal pieces under the hood and wonder..." while you're standing outside of your smoldering car 50 miles out from the Grand Canyon.

I think exceptions could be made if that mechanic was Walter Bishop. The characters were pretty much the whole reason i enjoyed the show so much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Tried to get my friends to watch it, and they watch like three episodes and say it's an XFiles ripoff... :smith:.

And bitch about the acting, too. They totally don't believe that none of that is remotely true if they hang in for a bit. Even when I explain about the episode where I thought they were saving money on actors by having all B-Universe characters... then realized it was the same actors, just in their roles so much they seemed like totally different people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

thedouche posted:

Me too. I'm seriously considering buying the complete bluray series and rewatching the show/the actors' pores in HD.

Hang in there with Walter; you're just on the tip of the Walter iceburg. Over the course of the show, all of the characters will take turns really pissing you off. All of the regular characters (even those on the periphery) really grew on me by the end.

Do you have a Netflix account and a PS3? Or Amazon Prime, for that matter- the first for seasons is available for streaming on both services, and I get waaay better picture quality on my console than my PC. It looks to be full HD.

Just started my series rewatch yesterday, and man, it's still so good the second or third time through.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Been watching this show again with my girlfriend, and I've been jumping around, and went back and caught two things:
At the end of season 4, isn't bell right to not include humanity in his new universe? They do go on to make the world unlivable and commit a genocide
Buuuuut...
I love how Walter and Peter becoming a father/son dynamic saves the world. He needed his time with Peter, Peter needed his time with him, but learning to be a father is how through Walter, Micheal learned to rewrite history, and how through Peter/Liv, Etta learned how to be, well, Etta. Also, White Tulip and the end of season 5 make me cry every time.

Actually, this show makes me cry a lot more than I thought I would.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 1, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrNonacho posted:

Season 5 is up on Netflix!

I have no idea why I'm so excited for this, since I own Season 5 on amazon already, but I am.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrNonacho posted:

Season 5 is up on Netflix!

Apparently that was an error. It's gone again now, but it'll be back on september 12th.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just rewatched the entire series on Netflix and I'm glad I did. S4 is a lot better the second time through when you know what it's building up to with the bridge scene.

Season 1 is still weak in comparison to the rest of the series, but once the parallel universe is in play, drat, I forgot how good this show can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ursus Veritas posted:

Guys Fringe is the best show but for what I hope are obvious reasons we really need to close this thread and create a new one to talk about it.

Most definitely. If there's interest in a retrospective/spoiler thread I can make an OP for it over the next couple days.

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, dealing with the consequences of harm visited upon children is a serious theme of the show.

:rimshot:

• Locked thread