Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Well it's rather unfortunate that what you wanted to happen isn't actually what happened. They set up a pretty minor twist there though by taking the expectation that Broyles was a shapeshifter working with Jones, because all of Jones's previous subordinates were shapeshifters, and instead treating it as a coercion.

Plus, if you were following spoilerland at the time the showrunners even said essentially "Not all the bad guys are shapeshifters, and there are some surprising allegiances coming up this season." They were pretty clear that someone (or multiple someones) were actually playing for the other team, and not just plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
That actually got wrapped up too, in episode 17. They found the vigilante shapeshifter and convinced him to turn on Jones and alternate-Nina, and he infiltrated Nina's base while transformed into the shapeshifter sniper that tried to kill him. At the end of the episode, they had access to the tracking network that presumably allowed them to capture all remaining shapeshifters, though this action probably took place offscreen.

I agree it was a very swift end, but the way they had it written any further exposition would have been filler, which this thread has always been so quick to call out.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

WhoIsBarryBostwick posted:

I was fully expecting Etta to shoot the loyalist in the back after she finished talking to Olivia.

I was expecting an observer to bloop in from somewhere and off the dude, or a sniper from offscreen. So glad he survived.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

I think it was implied they've gone into kind of hibernation rather than been completely deleted, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a bit of a reactivation later, maybe using more cortexiphan. Would be a good hook to get more of Nina and whatever is left of Massive Dynamic. Also Etta has a magic brain too (can't be read by observers), add fresh cortexiphan to that and who knows what might happen.

Also, in the original timeline (when Peter jumped 12 years into the future and deleted himself from existence) Olivia had developed her powers such that she could catch falling boxes with her mind. In this timeline, Olivia was given massive doses of Cortexiphan and she's only had 3 years intervening, so it's a crap shoot whether she'll have any kind of powers yet.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
The episode with the mathematician that was going around and gassing people in his acts of mercy killings was when they established that tech was important. It came out during the course of the episode that the guy was pretty normal until one year when he went to Reiden Lake, and then he became a recluse obsessed with a formula.

Then, later we're shown a glowing blue cylinder and one of the observers notes that it was September's. It was insinuated that the cylinder was the source of the mathematician's obsession and future-predicting abilities.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the one I was talking about. What season was that in?

Fourth season, "Making Angels."

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
Well, there is the small matter that Peter pulled his chip out of that Observer's brain and it pretty clearly killed him, so they'll have to magic up more explanation than that.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
In the beginning Fringe events weren't happening all over the world, and they explained pretty cleanly why that was the case. One of the big reveals of an earlier season was that The Pattern was actually centered around one place, Reiden Lake.

I do agree though that it would have been nice for the rest of the world to have some significance, because the Observers presumably invaded everywhere and not just Boston. I seem to remember a throwaway line from either S4E19 or the season premiere, but aside from that the rest of the world has been incredibly invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm willing to accept the "Walter and Michael stop existing in this timeline" hand waving thing. It just makes no sense how he sent the letter. In order to send the letter, he'd have to know about the invasion before 2015, figure out the whole plan with September and write the letter and put the tulip in and mail it a few days before the invasion.

Or, from the tapes, he managed to complete a plan in 2015 in an alternate time line. In that, Walter would step into a machine in 2015 with Michael, instead of simply proofing from existence.

Then he'd be plenty capable of dropping a letter off in the mail before hopping into the machine, and Peter would get that letter after he was gone.

• Locked thread