Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relsha - Marysville Station

Mayla sighs. "Nonsense. Complete nonsense," she mutters to no one in particular.

Weird buildings, rude males, people with strange ears and unrecognizable ethnicities, strange words and places, and that walking, talking monster. As strange as it was, it was too consistent to be a hallucination from bad food. Mayla just didn't want to have to deal with this right now. She walks back to the bench and sits down and begins to finish her meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Laguna Casador

"Kansas, doc." Laguna corrects Dr. Bishara quietly, "We ain't in Kansas anymore." With a bit of a sigh, he makes sure his weapons are all safely tucked away before speaking again, shaking his head at the idea of listening to orders from a talking raptor.

"Right, I'm Laguna Casador, as some of ya already know. Can't say I'm part of any special department, but that don't mean I don't know my shootin' irons." He glances at the newcomers, the astronaut and police officer who looked more like sci-fi heroes. "And I gotta say, all of us bein' dead 'n' in the boneyard's own waitin' room is probably the most sensible idea I've heard since I walked in." Especially for me, he thinks for a moment. "Certainly explains how y'all got here from all over tarnation, 'n' why half of ya don't seem t'know where anyplace is!" Of course, it didn't explain why those two seemed to be wearing stuff out of a movie, or why there was a talking dinosaur here!

Seeing one of their number walk over to the newspaper machines, he turns and follows. "Looks like this place has some local rags. Guess it wouldn't hurt to crack one open. See if the weather pages give any idea whether we've landed in Oz or not. Better'n just waitin' around fer the Pale Riders t'show up."

Jeez, how fast do you people post?! Following Phoebe over to the newspapers.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

She nods as the others introduce herself, only puffing up slightly at being called a lizard. "Pleasssssse I clearly have feathers, lizardssss do not. And are tiny, assss are sssssquirrels." Tilting her head, she chirps in thought. "Sssso many of thessse placessss make no ssssenssse. I was on the continent of Amerigio, there usssssed to be a Union of Ssssstates there. But the entire continent is together now after the fusssssion treaty." She pauses, looking at the newcomers. "I sssstill think you are all aliens. Or perhapssss I had a sssstroke."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan - Marysville Station

Looking around at everyone else, Morgan slides his laser pistol into the back of his pants, takes a step back into the restroom. Not turning around, he grabs his backpack and duffel bag, picks them up, and walks out into the room with everyone else.

"I am unsure what is going on, but I know I did not die, I am not hurt, and I am not sick. I was just walking through the countryside on the Italia Peninsula when the fog rolled in, and I lost GPS signal. So, you may continue with whatever strange drug induced party you are having. I must continue my travel... I will find a GPS signal soon enough, if I get walking. It is not as if I am in any hurry."

Nodding his head to everyone except Mayla, Morgan backs his way towards the entrance, keeping an eye on everyone as he goes. The robo-dog stands up and follows him, cheerfully.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 20, 2012

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin glanced around as each person spoke, trying to take in as much information as possible. "I don't think any of us are dead or hallucinating. If I had Cicero I would probably have a splitting headache and a high fever.". He glanced over at the doctor for confirmation. "Right doc? I'd know if I had stage two Cicero?". He asked quizzically, keeping an eye on Morgan as he backed away.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Karima

"Kansas, Iowa, close enough," she says dismissively to Laguna before getting back to work. It takes the doctor a second to realize that she is being spoken to from another quarter as well as she focuses on Astra - whose name she still didn't even know. But after a second or two Karima pops her head up. "Cicero?" She thinks about this for a moment. "...does it have another name, maybe? A proper Latin name of some sort? Headache, high fever, that could be anything...I've spent almost ten years working in Africa and Gaza and the only Cicero I've ever heard of is an old dead Roman."

Suddenly, she stops what she's doing, and takes a step back. A thought occurs to her - not the space idea, and not the ultimately correct idea either, but at least in the right direction. "Okay, everyone stop. You too," she demands loudly, looking at Morgan and hoping he stops before he leaves. "What...what is today's date? Does anyone know?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Laguna Casador

"Pretty sure I ain't an alien," observes Laguna with a shrug as he tries to decipher one of the newspaper headlines. "and that everybody thinks they ain't dead. Can't say I heard of Cicero, though, not as a disease, at least. That what they call the flu, now?"

"As fer what today is...." he stops and thinks for a moment. "well, I hit the dusty trail out of Tucson 'round first moonlight of May 13th. Year was 2012, if it matters."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 20, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Marysville Station

Mayla finishes chewing on a mouthful of salted hay, swallows, and puts down her chopsticks. She looks over at the doctor and smirks. "That is a silly question. It is the 36th day of the Season of the Sun in the 4365th year of the First Mother. Or maybe the 37th, if it has passed midnight."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Right, Guiana," Astra says to the doctor, her stance loosening and a visible sigh from her. "Centre Spatial Guyanais, it's a been a major spaceport for over a century," she says. "ESA started launching there back in the nineteen seventies."

She tugs her gloves off and tucks them into an appropriate pouch on her belt. It lets her rub her temples with her bare hands, which badly need it. She turns and perches on the edge of a bench, letting Karima examine her. "Bumps and bruises," she says. "I got very very lucky. I think. Tell me I'm not wrong," she says with a fatalistic little smile.

While the doctor pokes at her, Astra holds out her arm towards the man with the big duffel bag. "No signals," she says. "I figured it was antenna loss on Peregrine but...." a dark thought crosses her mind. "Maybe this is a prison?"

Her head snaps over to look at Laguna, standing up too. "It's 2109," she says. "Were you frozen?" she guesses. A pause. "Do you all have names? I'm Astra"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

Looking to Astra, she shrugs. "Well, unless there's internal bleeding that I can't find signs of, you don't seem any worse off than the rest of us. Would do an MRI, only...I'm afraid those don't travel," she says with a smile. "You seem lucid, at any rate. Suppose you're very lucky. If you have symptoms of anything more than that let me know."

As the everyone begins to report on dates, the doctor laughs. "It isn't, though. Or at least it wasn't. It's September of 2004." Shaking her head slowly, Karima chuckles oddly, disbelieving. "Axra mik kida mafiis. We are all on...what was that program? Twilight Zone?" Another head shake. To Astra, she responds, "Dr. Karima Bishara, and I don't believe I have ever been frozen.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Pausing, Morgan listens to the reply about the date. "It is the third of Iunius, 2783 since the First Founding of Rome. What calendars are you using?"

Curiosity fills his face. Something was going on here... but... maybe, just maybe, he had someone escaped? Without following the directions that felt burned into his mind, telling him where to go, who to talk to?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Good to know. Thanks, Doc. You can MRI me whenever you want. Can't take chances and let my brain explode. I'd get my flight status yanked for sure," Astra says. Astra leans again to perch on the edge of the bench, legs stretched out, sitting mostly up. She taps her gauntlet a few times. "So...twenty-thirty?" she suggests. "If you're not just crazy," she says flatly. "If /I'm/ not crazy. Or dead."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

"You know, Cicero? Airborne human to human mutated west Nile virus. Idiot who named it confused Cicero and Nero. 2/3 of the worlds population wiped out? Ring a bell?". Austin stopped at the date question and glanced around as the different answers came through. "Oh loving poo poo you have got to be kidding me!!! April 4th, 2073!". Yeah something was seriously hosed up right now. He leaned against the wall, bracing himself with one hand and bending over to put his head between his legs in an attempt not to vomit as the room began to spin. Realization was a bitch.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

"Assss I sssssaid. I am Captian Vri of the Continental forces. A paratrooper." She looks back at the first squirrel and shrugs. "It issss the first of May 2015. Your planetssss are called earth assss well. Ssssstrange." Her large head swivels rapidly, and she stares at Austin. "We have his Nile disssssseasssse. All our children are given the vaccine for it at a young age. It isssss quite deadly to us asssss well."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla rolled her eyes in bemusement as she finished the last of her flower petals. These fools can't even agree on such minutiae as the time and place. With her meal finished, she pushes the wrapping paper off the bench and onto the floor.

She then walked over to the front door and peered outside. Still dark, still foggy. Returning to the bench, she removed her toolbelt and bandolier and rested them next to her rifle and backpack. She then pulled out a blanket from her backpack and lay it over the bench and sat on it. Finally, she removed her boots and placed them on the floor before laying down on the blanket. She wasn't yet tired, but had decided that she may as well get comfortable in the hours it would be before daylight.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 21, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Oh, West Nile? Genus Flavivirus. Transferred by mosquitoes and other insects. That I know, yes. Severe symptoms in humans are fairly rare, though. In fact most infections are asymptomatic in humans, it's much more severe in avians and reptiles, who collectively make up the primary hosts as I recall..." replies Karima in a near-monotone as she puts her instruments away. After a moment she goes completely still, then slowly turns around to look at the dinosaur. "...oh. Right. Yes, I suppose it'd make sense that your people would have developed a sophisticated vaccine for it, considering the susceptibility of even the largest reptilian species...not your fault; just a quirk of nature that it works out that way." Hopefully no offense would be taken.

She turns back towards Austin. "Anyway, yes, if you had advanced West Nile - mutated forms of it or otherwise, you'd know." Shaking her head in bewilderment, Dr. Bishara adds, "What I'm more concerned about is that none of us seem to agree on how we got here, where we got to, or even when exactly this is, or what direction anything is from here. And all the explanations for that seem to be...well, in the realm of fiction."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin- Marysville Station

Austin nods to the doctor, somewhat glad for the reassurance. "Yeah, I figured. Never been sick a day in my life so it'd be one helluva time to happen now. Hey I'm gonna go check out that room." He said, nodding to the Transaction Window door. He holds his rifle with one hand, opening the door and heading into the room as the others check the newspapers.

Search 15, Perception 15

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 21, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bus Station

One newspaper, the New York Times has as the headline, “Chancellor John Robert Bishop assassinated by Resistance fanatics. Dated 2004” A different box also has a New York Times. The headline on this paper is, “30th year anniversary of Dr. Paul Van Zandt’s Journey across worlds.” This one is dated 2025. The third newspaper is the Dagens Nyheter. The headline proclaims something that only someone who knows Swedish could read. A picture on the front of the paper shows an atomic mushroom cloud emerging over a city. Another box has a different looking New York Times and on its cover the lead story is about, “The million woman march in Washington D.C. for equal rights.” The last dated 1970. While the dates on all the newspapers are different from each other, the newspapers themselves look like they were all printed recently.

Austin checks the door to the transaction window. It too is locked. Austin sees the newspapers. All of them are dated before his time.

For anyone who speaks Shikaku-Mon Swedish: Excelsior destroyed by atom bomb. Its dated 2027.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 21, 2012

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador - Marysville Station Newspaper Stands

Hey, Laguna recognized that typeface! He didn't recognize the stories though...who the heck were Chancellor Bishop and Dr. Van Zandt? The third one must've been something on atomic testing or something, given the mushroom cloud picture. And the fourth...well, he recognized the words, but that wasn't right at all. Wasn't that in Philadelphia?

"Hang on, that ain't right," notes Laguna aloud. He turns towards the rest of the group in the bus station. "Three of these rags make no sense; and I think this last one's crooked. And they all have diff'rent years on 'em; 1970, 2004, 2025...this ain't helpin'."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 21, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

With a clean bill of health from the Doc, Astra wanders away from the discussion of medicine, something she's eminently not qualified to handle, to one she might fare passably better on, history.

Astra steps up next to Laguna. She too recognizes the printed newspaper, and this particular paper to boot, with its distinctive masthead and its blaring banner headline. She'd seen images of that one front page since childhood. "It's a newspaper," she says with a touch of surprise. "This one was called 'the paper of record'. They printed anything considered important..." her tone betrays wry amusement at the concept. "And the dates...." she presses her lips into a line. "They all look real. I'm not sure I could hallucinate them. If they're real....who'd fake them?"

Astra opens one box, the 1970 edition, and pulls out an issue. Her scanner detaches from her belt and with a little luck, she might be able to date the paper.

Ultrascanner, Electronics Operation/Sensors -13 and maybe Chemistry -12 to try to date the paper. If it works, Astra will conduct similar tests on the other papers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador

Laguna jumps for a moment as Astra the astronaut pulls open one of the boxes and begins examining it with a funny light. The papers were free?! Well then!

He pulls open the 2025 box, extracts one of the papers, and begins to separate out sections, looking for the weather pages. With any luck, they could at least figure out which of the many city names that they'd just thrown about were real here.

Is this even a skill roll?

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

Sighing at the aliens, Vri lowers her head to the ground and starts systematically sniffing the room. Starting with the funny squirrel that was sleeping. "Don't mind me. Just getting the sssssscentsss."

Discriminatory Smelling, Search 14, Tracking 14

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla ignored the chatter across the station. Especially Laguna. Men get so excited about silly things. Of course it doesn't make any sense. It took him until now to realize this? She sighed and closed her eyes.

Then she felt some breathing on her skin. Opening her eyes, she sees Vri sniffing her. She yelps in surprise and slips onto the floor trying to get to her feet.

"What are you doing?!" she cries as she staggers to a stand.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

Vri tilts her head to the side. "Ssssmelling thingssss."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Alright! Great! You've smelled me! Now please don't do it again!"

Still quivering from the sudden excitement and a little sore from the fall, Mayla walks over to the front door to take a look outside. Her bare clawed feet click-clack against the floor as she steps. Peering through the glass, she saw that it was still dark. This is going to be a long night.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 21, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bus stop

Astra checks the paper with her scanner. The scanner says that the paper was printed within the last week and the paper itself isn't much older. The other papers have similar dates.

Laguna looks at the 2025 paper. He quickly finds the weather section. In the weather section there is a map of the United States. He looks at the cities on the map. He has heard of all of the cities.

Vri sniffs the air. She can pick up the scents of the hairless apes. There are five distinct, fresh smells. She picks up on smells of Laguna, Austin, Karima, Astra, and Phoebe. Their smells are quite distinct and very memorable. Vri then picks up the scent of Mayla. Mayla is not like the hairless apes. She is a different kind of species. The closest animal that comes to mind are rodents. Lingering near Mayla, Vri determines that Mayla's smell is similar to that of a capybara. The scent of Morgan is unlike anything she's smelled before. There's something wrong about his scent. It isn't natural.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

She perks up, and looks at each person in turn. "Ssssso you are monkeyssss and not ssssquirrelsss. Very rare animalsss." She turns to Maya. "But you are a big rat." She turns to Morgan in turn. "And you aren't right at all, what are you?" The question is said without malice, and she tilts her head at the mystery creature.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla's eyes narrow for a moment. Then she smirks and arrogantly upturns her nose. "Comparing me to a rat would certainly be a compliment to the rat."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Monkeys would be quite accurate, 'Captain.' Humans evolved from the great apes of Earth. Though it was Allah that made all, in the beginning." She casts both Vri and Mayla a quizzical look at the mention of the one being a rat, but decides that isn't important right now. Instead she looks over at the two poking around the newspapers. "Anything interesting over there? They don't happen to have a copy of Le Monde, do they?"

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2012

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station Newspaper Stands

She only hears the conversations of the others as a quiet murmur, distant waves washing over an empty beach. When she'd ducked down to examine the contents of the newspaper boxes, she hadn't expected to be frozen while she stared. Even as the Japanese pilot and the man in the leathers dived into the other boxes, she didn't move. She'd seen it in broken photographs, she'd felt it in nightmares. An atomic weapon? Exploding over Virginia? Was it just the first? Were they moving, now? Had she just barely avoided--

Be calm, Phoebe, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. The headline and the photo were stark enough, but--they didn't make any sense! All that was supposed to have happened barely thirty miles away, and with the time that would've been needed to put the paper together and distribute it, she would've been even closer. She doubted she would've missed something as bright as an atomic attack, or that there wouldn't have been any news over the sparkset or any panicked callers on her vox.

Neither was Dagens Nyheter particularly well-known for journalistic integrity, unless one counted integrity as "running Second Directorate propaganda unedited." She wouldn't have put it past the Swedes to fabricate the news entirely, to invent a quiet little war far from the heartland to distract the masses from their grinding oppression.

It wasn't true.

It couldn't be true. Unless she stood in the rubble and saw it with her own eyes, it wasn't true. She took measured breaths in and out, in and out. Be calm, be calm...

Instead, she went to one of the other boxes. There was a two-year-old paper in there, thankfully written in English--the New York Times? Where the hell was New York?

"Journey across worlds..." she whispered, and a chill ran down her spine. She retreived a copy the 2025 box, stood up, and looked through it for answers, any sort of answers at all.

Phoebe will work her way through from the front page, reading carefully, looking for information about what a "journey across worlds" entails.

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 21, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Now that Vri's attention was diverted toward someone else, Mayla considered laying down again. But she wasn't tired, was rather bored, and she didn't want to leave herself open to another sniffing in any case.

Looking around the room, her curiosity was piqued when she took note that Phoebe, Astra, Karima, and Laguna were holding bundles of papers and seemingly reading them. Phoebe in particular seemed unusually rattled, quite a change from her previously-relaxed self. So Mayla begins to saunter over to the group, her claws tapping against the floor along the way.

"What are you doing?"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 21, 2012

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station Newspaper Stands

"All the News That's Fit to Print" - nice bit of self-assurance there. This weather forecast, it looks like what they'd get up the coast...

Phoebe hadn't had much chance to figure out what the New York Times was about when Mayla approached with a click-click like high heels. She divided her attention between the paper and the woman. She didn't want to be rude, but she needed answers.

"Looking for things that make sense," she said. "I don't suppose you've ever heard of New York, or a journey between worlds."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla - Marysville Station

"I... no, I have not heard of York, new or otherwise. Or any journeys between worlds, unless that is a metaphor for crossing the ocean. My Clan was the first to sail to the new continent."

Mayla grabs and tugs on the corner of the newspaper Phoebe is holding. "What is this? Why would anyone waste a printing press on such cheap paper? Let me see it."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station

"It's a newspaper," she said. "It's supposed to be cheap, so people can buy it and read about what's going on in the world. You can have the International section if you'd like... there are complete copies in the boxes over there, though. You must not have them in your... world..."

It sounded like rank scientifiction. So had atomic weapons, back in the days of the Pyrrhic War. So did a talking miracer, mecha or no. She'd been keeping an ear out to what everyone else had said, their misunderstandings, their facts that stubbornly refused to agree. What one person took as true was a pack of wild imaginings to another.

What if it was all true?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan stared at Vri in annoyance. "No. I am not... natural. But I am free. And that is all that matters. Now please stop sniffing me before I take offense."

Not waiting for a response, Morgan walks over to the nearest unoccupied seat, sets his bags down, and waves the dog over. Then, very carefully, he removes the pistol from the back of his pants, and puts it back into his bag.

"So. Sounds like we all somehow got taken... elsewhere? I don't think this is where..."

His head twitches for a moment, and an expression of pain crosses his face. "Ah, my benevolent benefactors, meant to send me. Still... It means nobody is looking for me. Exactly what I wanted..."

Looking around, Morgan observes the people pouring over the papers, and shakes his head.

"But now what do I do?"

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin tries the locked door, then checks his assault vest for his lockpicks. "Dammit, left them in the car." He mutters, giving the door a kick at it's base out of frustration. He goes back to the main room and stands to the side, watching everyone mill about and go through the papers. Well something was wrong if people hadn't heard of New York, and especially if all the dates were different. The room started spinning again and he stepped outside for some fresh air. "gently caress gently caress gently caress oh god what the gently caress" he muttered as he tried to catch his breath, bracing his hands on his knees. This poo poo was just getting weirder and weirder. The whole talking lizard wasn't helping his adjustment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"You mean your people mass produce reading material... for commoners? Your commoners can read? What ever would they need to learn how to read for?"

She accepts Phoebe's offer for the international section and skims over it. More nonsense. More places that do not exist. Mayla had studied geography - she would have known if these places existed or not. She gets frustrated and drops in on the ground.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"It may surprise you to learn, Your Nobleness, that I wasn't born in a castle and my blood isn't particularly blue either. If you even have to ask those questions, I don't think I could give you answers you'd take seriously."

Phoebe sighs and bends down to pick up the papers Mayla had dropped, as if she expected someone to just scurry up and deal with them--just like I am, she realized in mid-motion. She gathered it up but stopped when she got a good look at Mayla's feet. She wasn't wearing high heels... she wasn't wearing anything on her feet, feet that didn't look like anything human.

"Your feet..." Holding the newspaper in the crook of one arm, she took off shoe and sock and wiggled her toes. "One of these things is not like the other. One of our... worlds isn't, either."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla looks down at Phoebe's feet, and her eyes widen. So these people had more than just weird ears. The feet, too.

"Your feet are hideous! They're like malformed hands. How do you even swim with those?"

She stopped and narrowed her eyes. "Hold on... So that's what the creature and doctor meant by 'monkeys.' You have monkey feet and ears. You are not simply strange looking Keshani after all. You are some kind of monkey people."

She pauses to take this all in. "Now you keep saying things about 'worlds.' What do you mean?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Like I said, I'm human. As for what I mean, it's just a theory," Phoebe said. Theory? Half an hour ago she was riding a velo away from all her worries, plunging into the crisp forest. It hardly seemed proper for it to be a hunch, but she couldn't ignore what was in front of her, what she'd heard and what she'd seen. "Think about how none of us can agree with each other. You've never heard of my country, I've never heard of your city, none of us except the ticktock have heard of this Cicero virus, and there's the minor matter of our feet not exactly matching. I hardly think we're all of us crazy."

She took a deep breath. "That newspaper mentioned something about journeys between worlds. I know it sounds ridiculous, but maybe that's what's happened to us... we're all from the same Earth, but different worlds. Where things happened differently."

• Locked thread