Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«148 »
  • Locked thread
Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill

Austin

Austin glances at the door, ignoring crazy claw lady while taking up a position to cover the room with rifle fire in case anything comes out, activating the hud visor on his helmet.

tactics 14 using the enhanced vision on the visor

Jenkem Delivery fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2012 around 20:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bus Station

The room has no light on it nor does it have windows making it very dark inside the room. Where the lights from outside the room manage to brighten the interior, a little can be seen. The floor is an industrial tile of a grey color. A mop bucket is near the door as well. As the group looks into the door, a very fine green mist begins to creep out of the room at ground level.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"poo poo! Chlorine!" Astra yelps. "Everybody back!" She jumps back herself and even as she speaks is slamming her helmet down over her head, tugging her gloves back on.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

"Huh. ...anti-climactic. Looks more like a cleaning closet than anything," announces Karima loudly. Shaking her head, she audibly adds, "Some sort of gas or mist, though." Looking back and forth between Astra and Austin, she takes a step back. "...I'm a doctor, not a chemist. Is this a problem?"

Astra's reaction convinced her it was, and so she quickly moves to shut the door again before backing off.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station

"Ruddy hell," Phoebe says as some kind of mist seeps out from the broken door. "Whoever that is out there, I think we need some air. Come on, whoever's coming."

Phoebe unholsters her pistol and steps outside, alert for trouble.

Soldier-16 to provide a difficult target and find any kind of concealment outside.

Per-15 to look for whatever she saw before.

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2012 around 20:39

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Laguna Casador

"Hold up, partner," says Laguna as he steps out the front doors. "And my name ain't Captain America, jes fer future reference."

He might not be a soldier, but he knows enough about firearms to keep his shotgun pointed out into the fog.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

The raptor watches the others with a bemused attitude as they try to explore thier surroundings. "Perhapssss we ssshould ssssstay put for now. I honessssstly think any actionssss we take have a greater chance of harming usssss then helping. Besssssides if this is a transssssport sssstop, sssssomeone will likely arrive at sssssomepoint." In spite of herself, she unslings a rather large rifle. "Pleasssse do not anger interdimensssssional creaturessss unlessssss you mussssst. Ssssstay close to the doorsssss. You alienssss sssseeeem fragile."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

quote:

"poo poo! Chlorine! Everybody back!"

Morgan turns around, confused, and sees the green gas leaking out, and alarm rings in his head. His implanted memories know what this is. Its bad, it will burn, and he needs to get away. He races over, grabs his bags, and barrels for the doors, robodog happily following.

He forces her way through the front door, and runs out onto the road, before stopping and turning to look back.

"HOW MUCH IS THERE?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Marysville Station

Mayla hears the commotion by the closet and glances over. She sees the green gas an immeditely recognizes it. "What is chlorine doing here? The Aeshari use it as a weapon! It's heavy and will stay near the ground, but if you breathe it in your lungs will be destroyed. Get outside!"

She follows Phoebe and Laguna outside, not wanting to chance exposure. Just what she needed, chemical weapons on top of all the other weirdness.

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin moves back away from the door as the green mist comes out. He keeps rifle pointed at the door as he heads out the front doors again, using the hyperspectral vision on his visor to see any threats.

per 15, combat reflexes

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"It might just be cleaning supplies, reacting," Astra says, her voice modulated by her suit's communications system. "Outside is good..." she agrees, backing towards the front doors with the rest.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Outside the bus station

As the building evacuated, Mayla could not resist a chance to scold people for their random act of vandalism.

"Excellent work, everyone. In your haste to do... whatever you were trying to do, you damaged some chemist's lab and released dangerous chemicals."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Zayy iz-zift." After throwing the door closed she curses, but then calmly walks over to her pack, takes a pistol and holster out of it, and clips it to her belt. She'd not thought to be traveling with it openly on the road to Jerusalem - especially for a Palestinian of any gender, it was a good way to get shot. She is, however, wearing a vest under her shirt - that was a habit she had gotten into in warzones as far back as Rwanda.

Feeling a bit more ready, she wanders over towards the front door, but does not draw her gun. She laughs at Mayla at first: "Ha ha. Very funny. I wasn't aware that janitors are chemists now." Seeing the display of armaments, though, her voice takes on a more serious tone. "And what in Allah's name do you all think you're doing, anyway? If there is something out there you're just going to antagonize it waving guns around like that."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

"Hmmph. I don't know what a 'janitor' is but the fact remains that the room was locked for a reason and now there is a dangerous chemical in the air inside this building."

Mayla sighs. This certainly rules out an invasion force. No army would be this stupid.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Give it an hour," Astra says from within the safety of her sealed suit. "It'll vent out and we'll be fine." She's back outside for the first time in a little while, and turns, looking around.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bus stop

Phoebe notices the roughly human shaped darkness move again. When it stops it disappears into the fog, as though the fog itself was trying to hide it from those in the bus stop. The thing is across the road Austin peers into the fog. His HUD alerts him to technical difficulties. The visor's heightened vision capabilities are being hampered by something unknown.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

She turns to stare at the others, letting out a hiss that turns into a growl. "Sssssssssh. We cannot ssssse what is there, so we must use other ssssensssesss. Quiet." Lifting her snout, she sniffs the air experimentally.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

"Hello?" Phoebe asks, crouching near the glass. She'd feel better if there was something solid she could be behind, but whoever had designed this building hadn't done so with concealment in mind. "Who's out there? Are you all right?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

That's right. Mayla was too busy being amused at the stupidity of the others that she had forgotten about whatever was outside. She closes her eyes and tries to identify any smells. In particular, she wishes to confirm whether or not the figure out there is a Keshani.

Discriminatory Smell and Per 15

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2012 around 22:34

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

Not being blessed with superhuman senses, Karima decides to simply wait and snark. Softly, she says, "For the record: this idea may be just as dangerous." Aside from that, she tries to listen.

PER 14.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Laguna Casador

Dropping his shotgun to his side, Laguna steps to the other side of the doorway from Phoebe and cups his hands around his mouth. "Hey! Someone out there?" he calls out. "We ain't gonna hurt ya; shoot, I reckon we're 'bout as lost as you are!"

If this guy is hiding, then Search 14. Maybe Diplomacy 13 will work, if it's sentient.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan - Outside Marysville Station

Morgan nods at Laguna and turns around to face the fog. "I'm glad to see someone here besides me chooses to not shoot first."

With that said, he raises his voice and calls out. "Come out! Its safe, and the fog may be dangerous. We don't want trouble, we are all just lost."

Diplomacy 14, possible +1 from charisma

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bus Station

The enhanced noses of Mayla and Vri pick up the scents of those around them and other scents of the immediate area. There is the faint smell coming from the road of oil, gas, and other petroleum distillates. The two can pick up smells of other humans who passed by this area, but those scents are very old and weak. Further out the smells begin to decrease until they pick up on the very faint smell emanating from the fog. The odor is so slight no one with a strong sense of smell could pick up on it. The smell is a combination of ozone, fresh asphalt, and something else that neither of them could identify.

Karima spots a dark shape past the road. The shape looks to be about four feet or five feet high.

"Help me!" The cry sounds weak and the voice seems feminine. "I'm lost!"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Finished taking in the scents, Mayla opens her eyes. Nothing that she didn't smell coming in earlier except...

"Wait!" She says in a hushed tone, and raises her right hand. "I smell something like... the aftermath of a thunderstorm, and something else that I don't recognize. I don't smell a human or a Keshani up ahead. I don't think... This is strange."

She pauses and gulps.

"Let it come to us, don't go out after it. Let's see what it is..."

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 00:26

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

Peering closely into the fog, she spots a shape. "It could be a person. A child? Looks short..." Tentatively, Karima takes a step or two forward. There was lingering doubt in the back of her mind thanks to all the strangeness that's happened...and despite her contempt for Mayla, if she was right that there wasn't a human being there...Dr. Bishara couldn't be sure what it would be instead of a person, but it wouldn't be good. And yet, if there was someone out there in need of help, Karima couldn't turn her back. So she needed confirmation.

Looking over at Mayla, head tilted, Karima asks the most important question. "Are you absolutely sure? If there is someone out there we need to help them. If you are positive there is not, then...something is seriously wrong."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Still hushed, Mayla replies to Karima.

"I don't know, it could be... no, I don't like that smell at all. It is lost, not injured, let it come to us. Into the light where we can see it."

Will they listen to her? They didn't listen to her about the closet. And now she's stuck between a who-knows-what and some noxious fumes. Wonderful.

Mayla sighs. She crouches to put down her lantern, then stands and puts her hand on her rifle.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2012 around 23:48

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Wise." To the others, she motions for them to move back, and speaks softly. "Back off, make a line in front of the door. If it is a person and it does not try to kill me, then relax. If it does try to kill me, I trust you know what to do. I would hate to leave you all without proper medical care, so please do not hit me." She smiles. "Either way, we will find the truth soon, insh'Allah."

Dropping to one knee - both to look less threatening and to present a clearer firing line - Karima cups her hands to project her voice. "Hello? Can you hear me? If you're lost, follow my voice!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

Morgan looks around for a moment, and then gives a stiff nod.

"As much as I dislike her, I have to agree. The light is here, and the fog took us away before."

Raising his voice, he calls out once again. "Come out here. Its safe, there is light, and there is shelter. Don't stay out in the wet when you don't have to."

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 01:22

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador - just outside the front doors

Ah crap. Laguna thinks to himself hearing the voice out there. That's never good.

Laguna turns to the man at his side; had he given his name yet? "Leave a light on fer me, would ya, partner?" he tells him. "I'm gonna see what I can do for that poor lost soul out there." Slinging his shotgun on his back, he runs a few more steps out into the fog, towards the child's voice. "Yer gonna be fine, kid! Jes keep callin' out and head towards our voices! Ya hear me, kid?! Yer gonna be fine!"

If this were FATE, that'd be a compel of Selfless, or maybe Charitable, or even Overconfidence . Sorry if this doesn't work out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Her mouth agape and her eyes wide in horror, all Mayla can muster is "You idiot!" as Laguna runs off.

She raises her rifle, just in case.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 00:09

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

The raptor looms over the human doctor. Funny to think monkeys had them. "All monkey smellsssss but you people's are old...that doessss not ssssmell like monkey, or like the unnatural monkey either. Don't go to it..." As she says that the funny monkey runs forward. She shakes her head and remains stationed by the woman. "I hope if it issss hostile it isss tasty."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Wait, come back! That is not in a line at all!" Karima facepalms. If she'd been familiar with the phrase 'herding cats,' she would recognize its applicability here. "Ahbal," she says instead - though even stronger language comes to mind as well.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

"Dammit, Captain America, do you want to get lost too?" Phoebe shouts. "Both of you, come on, this way, toward the light!"

Phoebe steadies her grip on her pistol. None of them had had any trouble finding their way through the fog, and if Mayla's nose could be relied upon--it didn't seem right at all.

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin scoffed as the people ran out into the fog, shaking his head. He gives the visor a quick tap on the side of his helmet with his hand to see if that fixes it. Nope. "Welp, whatever that fog poo poo is, it doesn't want you looking into it." He groaned and raised his rifle as Laguna ran into it, following towards where Vri and Karima are. "God damned that guy is even dumber than he sounds." He muttered, moving the rifle to one hand and raising his flashlight, clicking it on and off a few times. "HEY COWBOY!!" He shouted, "COME BACK TO MY LIGHT BEFORE YOU GET loving KILLED!!"

Mini flashlight, 15 yard beam

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

Astra winces as Laguna goes running off. "Ugh. It's like my mother always said, she said, 'Astra, just because your friend didn't check his suit seals don't mean /you/ go launching yourself out the airlock.'" She takes a few steps towards the fog, stopping well short. Curious, she yanks out her scanner and see what it can see.

Electronics Operation/Sensor 13

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

In Front of the bus stop

The others watch as Laguna goes out into the fog to find the missing 'child.' They watch Laguna go to the other side of the road and into the fog. He doesn't go far into the fog, which allows the others to see him still. Austin shines his flashlight out at Laguna providing a beacon should Laguna want to come back.

Astra checks her scanner. The scanner picks up Laguna, but the fog doesn't show up on the scanner. When the scanner scans the fog itself, it tells Astra that it can't analyze it. Astra tries again, but the scanner can not make sense of it.

Laguna goes towards the voice. He sees a shadow across the road and in the fog. As he walks towards the shadow, he hears the voice again.

"I can't see you!" The voice tells him. Before he can respond the silhouette where the voice comes from moves. Instead of moving towards Laguna, the shadow moves away.

"Where are you?" The dark shape moves away from the bus stop and deeper into the fog. Laguna begins to wonder if he should keep going after the voice.

The others no longer see the dark shape the voice comes from.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador - Across the road from the Bus Station

As Laguna makes it to the other side of the road, he stops just inside the edge of the fog. He can see what appears to be a kid's shadow some distance away from him, but he's not moving right--he seems to be moving INTO the fog?

"Hey, kid! Yer headed the wrong way! Kid!" he calls out again. Every instinct tells him to press forwards into the fog, to find the poor kid and get him back safe, but his cooler side prevails. He stays where he is, and turns his head back towards Austin's beacon.

"Tarnation, someone get a light over here! This kid's all turned around! I can barely see 'im as it is; he looks like a shadow from 'ere!"

He breathes heavily, looking back and forth between the moving shadow and the flashlight beam, and continues calling out.

"Kid, head TOWARDS my voice! The station's over here!"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 01:55

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Bus Station Entrance

Mayla lowers her rifle. "Laguna!" she calls out. "You're crazy! Get back here! There's something very wrong!"

In her frightened state, Mayla was actually concerned for Laguna - though she probably wouldn't admit it.

Mayla glances back through the glass doors. The gas appears to be all clear, there must not have been much of it at all. A slight relief, as now there was a well-lit escape route if necessary.

Clear as per IRC: <~DocBubonic> BM, the inside is clear and there looks like there's no danger inside

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 02:01

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

The raptor's feathers bristle as the dumb monkey wanders further into the fog. She could see it was a trick, how could he not. Growling, she lowers her body slightly, preparing for a fight. "It trickssss him, like a ssspine bird feignssss injury to catch prey. He will die if her perssssists I think."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Hold on, hold on!" Astra calls. She grapples with her pack and detaches one of the emergency sticks. She snaps it quickly and it starts putting out a bright, clear, if somewhat white-blue, light, with no head. She tosses the stick over to Laguna, then takes out another in just in case. With her other hand she takes out her penlight and adds that to the effort as well.

• Locked thread
«148 »