Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«148 »
  • Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Laguna Casador

Laguna blinks as the lightstick lands next to his boot. Seriously? You're all yellow, swear to god. He reaches down to pick it up, then begins to wave it over his head.

"Kid! Ya see this movin' light here? Head towards it, it's safe here!" He glances back towards the station light, and decides to take one step deeper into the fog. Just one--what possible harm could there be? "Kid, can ya hear me?!" drat cowards...I got half a mind to go right in there and get 'im myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Front of the bus stop

Laguna takes the light stick from Astra. When he turns to find the shadow in the fog, he sees nothing. He cracks the stick to light it up.

"I'm scared to move!" The voice pleads with him. Looking in the direction of the voice with the light stick, he sees only fog.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 02:25

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Laguna Casador

Dammit, dammit, dammit, thinks Laguna as he waves the light around. Everybody else had been adamant that this was a trap. But then, hadn't they all come through the fog the same way? And if there was a lost little kid out there, and he just abandoned him...he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

Well, no harm in taking precautions. He draws a revolver and pulls the hammer back. It snaps into place with an audible, distinctive *click*. Now if it was a trap, Laguna had a weapon handy.

"Sorry, guys," he calls back to the little crowd by the bus station, "but I ain't leaving a kid in there alone. For all we know, he's jes like us, lost 'n scared." With handgun ready at his side and lightstick ahead, Laguna plunged into the fog bank.

I'm assuming that the loading action on the revolver is loud enough to hear from where everybody else is. But, yep, Laguna (and I) can't resist this.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Fog Bank

"I think I can see you." The voice says. Laguna can still not see any sign of the the owner of the voice. He can tell he's getting closer to the voice though.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Laguna Casador

Still tense and tenative as he moves towards the child's voice, Laguna manages a few comforting words, even with his revolver ready for a snap shot.

"It's all gonna be alright, kid. Yer gonna be fine."

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill

Austin

Austin is now waving the flashlight around, his grip on it tightening as he begins to get impatient. Impatience becomes frustration as he clenches his jaw. A few seconds later he lets out with "GOD DAMMIT TURN THE gently caress AROUND!!" He shouts. Giving him one last time to come back to the flashlight beam.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Front doors of the bus station

Mayla opens one of the front doors and takes a sniff. There was a light chlorine smell but nothing dangerous. It was safe.

"It's safe to go back inside. I think we should..."

She calls out. "Laguna!"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

"Everybody back in. I will block the door and help that monkey if he comes back. I am the biggessssst after all."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

"Back in?" Phoebe didn't take her eyes off the fog. "Forget that. I may not want to take my chances in that fog, but I'm not going to pike off when Captain America's in there with whatever it is."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

In the fog

Laguna walks towards the voice and then out of the corner of his eye he sees something appear from the fog. He then feels claws piercing his leather coat and chaps and digging into his skin. A moment later there's an even worse pain in his leg. One not caused by the claws.

The thing that attacked him is a scaly dark grey bipedal creature with dark black eyes and sharp claws.

First fight of the game. Laguna wasn't surprised, but the the thing attacked first. First attack missed, second attack hit. The claws did 4 points of damage and then something on those claws did nine more points of damage. Laguna is now at half move and half dodge. He passed his stun check. The next turn he'll have to roll to stay conscious and suffer a shock penalty (-4 to DX and IQ).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Laguna Casador - Deep in the Fog

"Alright, kid, come on out, it's all gonna be--AAAGGHH!" Laguna screams in agony as something sharp and pointy goes straight through his coat and leg. He turns and makes out a scaly squat thing before the poison sets in and makes things worse. "poo poo, what are you?!" he cries at it as he fires his revolver. He hobbles back to the station, moving as fast as he can.

Move and attack back towards the station. Think it's 17 to start at the shot; not sure what the penalties are.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - bus station front doors

"Laguna! Get inside!"

Mayla raises her rifle and points in the direction of Laguna's scream. Looking down the sight, she tries to make out something... anything.

Aim maneuver at whatever she can see in Laguna's direction, but she will abstain from actually firing if she can't tell what it is. Acc 3, Per 15.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 03:30

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

For an instant she was back in a familiar world, rainy and grubby and smelling of blood. One of her squadmates had taken a bullet from an accidental discharge once after a long squelch through the mud. His agonized shout hadn't been quite as loud as what crashed out of the fog.

"Laguna!" Phoebe took a few careful steps toward the fog, but remaining well away from it for now. "Get back here! What the hell's going on in there?"

Per-15 for any sign of Laguna or his attacker in the fog. Phoebe's pistol is up and ready.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Morgan

It looked like things were just as dangerous here as in the woods near New Newrome... maybe one of the roaming Huntbeasts had followed him? Morgan dives for his bag as the scream starts, and fumbles for the zipper, wasting precious time, until he manages to get a hand in and grab the gun set in a side pocket, and a small flashlight.

Taking the next few turns to retrieve weapon and flashlight. Once Morgan is up and able to look, Perception of 12

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

Heaving a hissy little sigh, Vri raises her gun.

Will shoot if I can see anything

ST 15 DX 14
IQ 12 HT 15

HP 15 FP 15
PER 14 WILL 14

Basic Speed: 7.25
Basic Move: 7

Thrust 1d+1
Swing 2d+1

Ambidexterity
Sharp Claws 2d+2 Swing 1d+2 Thrust cutting
Talons Like above but impaling/cutting
Combat reflexes
DR 2
Extra Attack
High Pain Threshold
Fit
Night Vision
Sharp Teeth

Brawling 14
Pistol 14
Rifle 14
Soldier 12
Wrestling 14

Tactical Suit full suit DR 20(cutting and piercing)/10(all other damage types)

ICW, 6.8mm 6d pi 4+2 700/4,000 12/1.5 15 25+1(3) 10 -5 2
With Integral Targeting Laser 750-yard range.

Armor-Piercing Hard Core Ammo x10 clips

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Astra

Distracted by her scanner, Astra's a few seconds later than the rest. She drops down to her knee, stuffing her scanner away and getting out her pistol instead. "Laguna? You okay!? Can you find us!?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

"Ibn Himar! Merde! May Allah destroy your house!" The doctor watches helplessly as Laguna ignores her advice, Mayla's advice Austin's advice...everyone. "Captain America! Hang on!" She slowly and deliberately draws her pistol. To the others, she shouts. "Line up and let's move! We're not letting him die!"

Ready action to draw pistol. PER 14 to see where it is?

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 03:53

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill

Austin

Austin tosses the flashlight to Karima. "Doc, keep the light moving so he can see. And grab him if he comes out, I've got you covered." Austin brings the rifle up, activating the scope with a flick of his thumb and bringing the view up on his HUD. "COME ON MOTHERFUCKER!!!" He shouts excitedly, bracing the rifle with his finger on the trigger.

Combat reflexes, Rifle 16, +1 accuracy from the HUD, +2 from the scope on an aimed shot

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

In front of the bus stop

Laguna decides to run from the thing. As he runs he fires at the thing and misses it. He moves slowly compared to the creature. The pain in his leg slows him down. When the creature closes the distance it attacks him, it goes for his leg again. The thing tears into his other leg now. Again his leg feels an intense pain not from the claws.

The others hear his scream. They look into the fog to see what happened and see Laguna shooting at something behind him. They try to find what it is that Laguna sees. Most do not. Vri, Austin, Karima and Phoebe see a short dark grey creature chasing Laguna.

Laguna shoots and misses. The creature claws Laguna again and he takes 10 points damage. He passes his stunning check and unconsciousness check. He is now at -10 HP, rolling every turn to remain conscious and next turn is suffering shock again. Laguna can now only move 3 yards per turn. He is seven yards (21 feet)out.

Vri, Austin, Karima, and Phoebe see the creature. It is behind Laguna currently, so they can aim, but firing right now would require firing through Laguna or taking a shot with a major penalty.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Bus station front doors

Mayla blinks a few times. This fog... It's so frustrating to hear Laguna's screams but not being able to do anything about it. She keeps her rifle up and continues looking for the creature.

Looking for the creature. Per-15

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 04:22

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

"Monkey! Run fasssster!"

Will shoot next turn.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

It was a monster, a shadowy beast looming in the fog. More than strange newspapers, more than outlandish people, more than Mayla's feet, it was confirmation that the idea of worlds beyond worlds wasn't just scientifiction. There were monsters out there... but she'd dealt with monsters her whole life.

Breathe in, breathe out.

She just needed a clear shot.

Aiming. Will shoot next turn.

pre:
ST 11	HP 13
DX 11	Will 14
IQ 14	Per 15
HT 10	FP 11

Damage: 1d-1/1d+1
Basic Speed: 6 [15]
Basic Move: 6.25 [5]
Dodge 8

Fearlessness 2
Fit

Brawling-14
Crossbow-14
Guns/TL8 Pistol-14
Guns/TL8 Rifle-14
Guns/TL8 Light Anti-Armor Weapon-14
Soldier/TL8-16

TL8 Auto Pistol .40, 2d pi+, Acc 2, Range 150/1,900, weight 2.1/0.7, RoF 3, shots 

15+1(3), ST9, bulk -2, Rcl 2, cost $640

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 04:27

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

Catching the flashlight from Austin, she braces it against her pistol, and tries to sight the creature accosting Laguna. It had been a while since she'd shot in a life-or-death situation, instead of a range, but she'd have to do it right. At least one life counted on it. "Get down, Captain America! We have you covered!"

Aim (Acc2, ES 16) on the mysterious creature.

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill

Austin

Austin raises the rifle and takes aim at the creature, firing a single shot whether or not Laguna moves. "GET THE gently caress DOWN HAYSEED!!"

Shooting an aimed shot with Laguna still in the way Rifle 16, +1 from bracing with the gyroscopic mount, +2 from the scope, +1 from the HUD link, Storm Carbine, 7d pi++, Acc 4, Range 700, Weight 8/2, ROF 10, Shots 50+1, ST 10 Bulk -4 Rcl 2

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


Laguna Casador

"God...loving...dammit..." pants Laguna as he drags himself along. Was this how it was all going to end? Killed by some grey squat thing with the voice of a child, as far from home as he could get?

Hey, you got here by driving off a cliff, remember? Guess that'll make you doubly dead...heh heh...

He hears somebody yell "get down, Captain America! We have you covered!" Sounds like drat good advice. He dives down to the ground ahead of him, lands on his back, and fires one more shot at the creature. He gasped raggedly--only hope now was that everybody else at the bus station was a good shot...

Dive and fire at the creature. 17-any penalties; I'm not entirely sure what they are, so it might just go down to 9.

pre:
ST 11	HP 11 (current -10)
DX 14	Will 11
IQ 12	Per 14
HT 12	FP 12

Damage: 1d-1/1d+1
Basic Speed: 7
Basic Move: 7 (current 3)
Dodge 10 (current...5?)

Ambidexterity 
Combat Reflexes 
Danger Sense 
Extra Attack 
Fit
Weapon Bond (Guns (Pistol, SAA Reproduction 1)) 
Weapon Bond (Guns (Pistol, SAA Reproduction 2)) 
Weapon Bond (Guns (Rifle, Winchester 1892)) 
Weapon Bond (Guns (Shotgun, Winchester 1897)) 

Brawling DX/E - DX+1 15 
Double-Loading (Fast-Draw (Ammo)) Tech/A -  16 
Dual-Weapon Attack (Guns (Pistol)) Tech/H -  16 
Fanning/TL8 (Guns (Pistol)) Tech/H -  14 
Fast-Draw/TL8 (Ammo) DX/E - DX+2 16 
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Draw (Knife) DX/E - DX+2 16 
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Draw (Long Arm) DX/E - DX+2 16 
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Draw (Pistol) DX/E - DX+2 16 
	includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Firing/TL8 (Guns (Rifle)) Tech/H -  14 
Guns/TL8 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+2 16 
Guns/TL8 (Rifle) DX/E - DX+2 16 
Guns/TL8 (Shotgun) DX/E - DX+2 16 
Knife DX/E - DX+0 14 
Targeted Attack/TL8 (Guns (Pistol)/Weapon) Tech/H -  14 
Targeted Attack/TL8 (Guns (Rifle)/Weapon) Tech/H -  14 

2  Colt M1873 SAA reproduction (Very Fine)*, .357 Magnum  LC:3  Dam:3d pi+  Acc:4  Range:120 / 1300  
    RoF:1  Shots:6(5i)  ST:11  Bulk:-2  Rcl:4  $5000  Wgt:6  Notes:[2]

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

In front of bus station

Laguna dives and fires. He misses the creature. The creature moves up and slashes at Laguna's throat. The thing's claws rip into his throat and shred his muscle, skin and cartilage away. Laguna falls to the ground dead.

The thunderous roar of guns can be heard. The creature having gone for the killing blow on Laguna had no chance to move before it started to get hit with a variety of different bullets. The bullets tore through the grey scales of the creature black ooze pours out of a half of a dozen different bullet holes. Large chunks of its torso are even missing. There is no doubt that the creature is dead.

R.I.P. Laguna. He was too heroic for his own good. The others did a good job of avenging his death by killing the fog beast.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 05:16

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

She watches in disbelief - everything happens so fast, and before she can even fire more than once, both Laguna and the creature have dropped. "What," she begins, but Karima can manage no other words. Holstering her pistol, she stands, then starts walking out to the pair of prone bodies. "Cover me. And someone get my bag. Hurry! I can save him. I hope."

First Aid 17, or 20 if single-minded applies. Even though Laguna is very dead, she has to try.

Jenkem Delivery
Feb 8, 2005

Death created time to grow the things that it would kill

Austin

"HOLD YOUR FIRE!" Austin yells, holding an arm up. Once he is sure everyone has done firing he goes and gives Laguna a once over, shaking his head. "loving moron." he mutters. He then goes and checks the creature, trying to get a better look at it. After he gets a good look at the creature, he drags Laguna's body back and leaves it by the steps to the station.

Jenkem Delivery fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 05:57

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

"Oh god... doctor, do what you can... whatever you can. I've got you. Let's hope there's only one of these clapperclaws around."

Phoebe moves forward to give Karima cover. Per-15 for anything else moving in the fog.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bus Stop

Looking around, there are no other threats.

Karima goes over to Laguna. She kneels down next to him to see how bad the wound is. A large area of his throat is now missing. Checking his pulse reveals that he no longer has one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - In front of bus station

Mayla works the lever on her rifle, ejecting a spent shell casing onto the ground and chambering a new round. Aiming again at the creature, she sees that there is... not much of it left. And then she sees Laguna's bloody body. Not moving. Not even a little.

"Oh.. oh no..." She felt dizzy. So much blood. She averts her eyes. Don't look. Don't look.

She kneels to pick up the two spent casings on the ground and her lantern. She snuffs out the lantern and goes inside as quickly as possible. She sits on the bench, on top of her blanket, puts the lantern down on the floor, and remains there quivering and clutching her rifle.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 05:22

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

Vri looks at the dead monkey and then the doctor. "Humansss can be fixed when they nearly losssse their headssss?" Dutifully, she follows behind the doctor.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

It is obvious as soon as Karima gets close that it is hopeless. But, trained as she is, she goes through the motions. This particular injury she hasn't seen often; but she has seen plenty of bad ones, so somehow the doctor keeps her cool in spite of seeing a man's throat be ripped out by a mysterious mist monster. After a moment, she looks up at the dino-soldier, her experssion vaguely disappointed. "No. No, they cannot. He is...gone."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!


RIP Laguna

Wait, what? Goddammit, I thought I'd hit him!

Oh crap oh crap don't come over here don't raise your claw not loving aga--

Huh.

Well.

It's dark again.

Well, this was what you wanted, wasn't it? You weren't really expecting to land outside a bus station you didn't know about when you drove off that cliff, right?

So, it took a little longer than expected--had a bit of a holdover in who-knows-where and had to get something else to do the dirty work--but the result's the same. You're dead. Pretty messily too.

Guess that's what you get for trying to play the cowboy hero, huh? Thought shooting those three neo-Nazis in that liquor store made you all high and mighty? Thought you'd go out and find the little lost child, even when it seemed like the world had turned on its head?

Guess not.

Oh well.



Well, so much for playing the manic-depressive part of Laguna . Farewell for now, then!

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround

Vri

"Oh." Her tail droops, and she puts a taloned claw onto Karima's shoulder. "I am ssssorry then. You did what you could. Let ussss go back insssside."

NoControl fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 05:40

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Outside Marysville Station

It wasn't the first time Phoebe had seen blood. Seen death. She'd never been at war but it had crossed her path just the same. One minute a self-assured pistoleer trying to save someone in distress, the next a lifeless husk of meat and gore. It was such a narrow, softly-drawn line, so easy to step over without even realizing it.

Laguna had taken one small step, and now Laguna was dead. That his murderer lay torn apart by bullets didn't make it any easier.

"I'm sorry, doctor," she said. "Once the fog lifts, we need to do the decent thing and bury him. For now, more of those things might show up. Let's get going."

Once she's confident everyone else is heading back into the station, Phoebe will bring her bicycle inside and join them.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Karima

It takes her a moment to respond to the attempts at being comforting, for the doctor is too busy being angry. "Ibn Himar! Axra min kida mafiis! Coos okt al laglesh...gently caress!" After a moment, Karima finished venting, then looks to both Vri and Phoebe. "...yeah. He didn't deserve this, but...yeah." Standing, she turns towards the bus station. "You're right...we should go."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004



Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station

Once inside, Phoebe propped her velo against one of the walls and sighed. It hadn't needed to be that way. No one needed to have died--died so brutally, at that. She hadn't had a chance to get to know Laguna, but she felt like his absence left a hole in the fabric of the station.

"I'll keep watch," she said. "Someone has to keep an eye out in case any more of those buggers try their luck."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

Fun Shoe

Mayla Relshan - Marysville Station

Mayla's mind was racing. She tried to help Laguna. She really did. I guess it couldn't have been helped that he just didn't listen to her repeated warnings, but he died mere meters in front of her and she couldn't even see his killer until it was too late.

Thinking about it just made it hurt more. She needed to take her mind off of it. So she did whatever busywork she could think of.

She reloaded her rifle, remembering to unchamber it for safety. She drained the lantern oil back into its bottle and hooked it back to her backpack. She put the two spent casings in the pouch designated for them. Wait, why was she doing that? So she could reload them... but what if she couldn't get home? That's where her workshop was. What was the point if those monsters will eat her if she tries to leave? Even these mindless tasks were making her think about her situation.

Mayla wanted to weep, and the only thing keeping her together was that she refused to show weakness to the strangers around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Morgan

Well, that went... worse than he had expected. Apparently, the local... if it was local, creatures were intelligent and lethal, like the worst of the huntbeasts that the Patricians released into the woods. Hopefully they were the most lethal things around. Perhaps it was time to move on?

"They seem to prefer luring prey out so it is alone. I'd assume that all but one of us being asleep would be the same. I'd suggest we all remain awake, and... walk. Follow this road until we find a town. It has to go somewhere."

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2012 around 07:14

  • Locked thread
«148 »