Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna Briggs

The fog came on quickly. Too quickly to be natural. It could have been the wizards chasing her, but there was no way they'd caught up that quickly. Thistle was one of the fastest horses in Caithness and wouldn't lose to anyone, Silver Hand or Ministry, right out of the gates. Maybe she ran into an ambush. That would be bad. But then she felt a strange sensation, familiar but different, as if a memory from a dream from long ago, and she knew this was any wizard's doing.

The realization didn't have long to sink in before her horse started going crazy. After a few seconds of jumping and bucking it reared up nearly vertical, sending both rider and saddlebags to the ground. Jenna managed to land on her feet, but only barely. She reached out to grab the reins, but her horse ran off and disappeared into the fog before she could grab it. “poo poo.”

The fog was strange. Last time she traveled between worlds it had been a much more violent affair, but the fog didn't seem to carry her away like the storm had. Still, there was no mistaking that sensation. She thought the banestorms only went one way, but maybe this meant she really could get back to her old world. Not that there was anything for her there anymore, not after this long, but it had to be better than dodging loving wizards all the time. Since it didn't seem like the fog would take her anywhere on her own, she hoisted her bag over her shoulders and starts walking.

Eventually the ground gave way to asphalt, and the fog disappeared to reveal the familiar facade of St. Adalbert's Church dimly lit by the moonlight. She started to laugh with joy but was quickly choked up when she caught wind of the horrible stench. She covered her nose and mouth with her cloak while she dug through her bag for an old wool scarf she kept handy for if she ever had to hide out in the mountains. It didn't do much to block the smell, but was better than nothing.

As she worked to protect her nose from the olfactory assault, she took in the rest of the scene, and everything seemed off. Cars were parked poorly, with some sticking into the street and others up on the sidewalk. None of the streetlights worked, so the only light she had was the moon. She was used to that by now, but this wasn't Yrth. Something had definitely happened while she was gone. Something big.

She didn't have time to ponder this, however, as the creaking of the church door drew her attention, and a sickly looking man in tattered robes stumbled out. He moved strangely, in a way that reminded Jenna of something she'd seen once in the swamps of the Orclands. But if something like that was here, things were very, very wrong.

The priest let out a shriek and charged at her. Her instincts taking over, she sidestepped the clumsy charge and diverted his momentum with her staff, sending him crashing into an illegally parked car. She then swept her weapon under his feet, and his head smashed into the side mirror on the way down. He didn't even seem to notice the blood and broken glass in his face as he hurled himself once more at the young woman. Without hesitating, she swung her staff down hard, meeting with the forward momentum of the priest's lunge squarely on his throat. His windpipe crushed and his neck broken, the crazed man stopped moving. But his shriek had draw the attention of the whole neighborhood, and gray-skinned people started pouring out of every house. She did the only sane thing to do; she ran.

She took a right down Paulina, heading towards the train tracks and hoping to get away from the residential area, as there seemed to be no end to the crazed people pouring out of houses. Ahead of her the tunnel under the track was pitch black, save for the telltale glow of a trash can fire, and the glint of hungry eyes standing around them. Just great. Luckily someone had left their car well over the curb, and running as fast as she can she was able to vault off roof, catch the railing, and throw herself over the top without losing her pack, staff, or guitar. Her pursuers attempted to follow suit, but few are able to make the jump, and the one that almost did got a face full of lead for his trouble.

Jumping over rooftops to the other set of tracks, she put as much distance between herself and the horde as possible, until she could no longer hear their clamoring in the distance. It was too dark to get a handle on the situation, so she found a train car that she could lock from the inside and set her gear down to wait for dawn. “Just my luck, I'm gone for a few years and a zombie apocalypse breaks out,” she said to herself after she caught her breath. She didn't expect to sleep, just to wait for dawn, but somehow the last hour of running for her life on two different worlds exhausted her enough that she drifted off to sleep.

--

She awakes to the full light of day steaming through the cracks of her impromptu shelter. Leaving her pack and Saul where they lie, she swings the door open hoping for the best. She see's three people in wildly different outfits, but all of them in better condition than the priest, but that's not what really draws her attention. Her shoulders drop.

“Bracht Deo, Y dasil an toimhorlagirt nach e marsul.”

There is a despondent looking woman in a hooded cloak with a scarf over her mouth holding a quarterstaff standing before you. She looks like an extra from Lord of the Rings.
pre:
Name: Jenna Briggs
Height: 5'8"	Weight: 135 lbs.
Extra CP: 8

Attributes:	[150]
ST	11			[10]
DX	12			[40]
IQ	14			[80]
HT	12			[20]

HP 	11/11
Will	14
Per 	14
FP 	12/12

Basic Speed: 6
Basic Move: 6
Basic Lift: 24

Thrust	1d-1
Swing	1d+1

Languages	[6]
English (Native)		[0]
Anglish (Native)		[6]

Advantages:	[103]
Gifted Artist 2 		[10]
Musical Ability 4 		[20]
Medium				[10]
Voice 				[10]
Spirit Empathy			[10]
Combat Reflexes			[15]
Very Fit			[15]
Quick Sheath (Pistol)		[1]
Grip Mastery (Staff)		[1]
Signature Gear			[1]  (Saul, an ordinary wooden bowl)
High Pain Threshold		[10]

Disadvantages:	[-60]
Curious 			[-5]
Xenophilia (15)			[-5]
Wealth (Poor)			[-15]
Low TL (8)			[-5]
Sense of Duty (The Party)	[-5]
Insomniac (Severe)		[-15]
Nightmares			[-5]
Intolerance (Wizards)		[-5]

Quirks:		[-6]
Imaginative			[-1]
Congenial			[-1]
Distrusts Trees			[-1]
Likes Jazz			[-1]
Dislikes Corn-on-the-cob	[-1]
Dislikes the Road		[-1]

Skills:		[150]
Acrobatics		DX-1/H	11	[2]
Acting			IQ+1/A	15	[4]
Armoury/TL4 		IQ-1/A	13	[1] (Small Arms)
Artist  (Drawing)	IQ+1/H	15	[2]
Artist	(Painting) 	IQ+0/H	14	[1]
Body Language		Per-1/A	13	[1]
Brawling 		DX+2/E	14	[4]
Camouflage		IQ+0/E	14	[1]
Carousing		HT+0/E	12	[1]
Climbing		DX+0/A	12	[2]
Dancing 		DX+0/A	12	[2]
Detect Lies		Per+0/H	14	[4]
Diplomacy  		IQ+1/H	15	[2]
Disguise/TL3		IQ+0/A	14	[2]
Escape			DX-2/H	10	[1]
Engineer/TL4 		IQ-2/H	12	[1] (Small Arms)
Fast-Draw (Pistol)	DX+1/E	13	[2]	+1 (CR)
Fast-Draw (Knife)	DX+1/E	13	[2]	+1 (CR)
Fast-Talk		IQ+2/A	16	[2]
Filch			DX-1/A	11	[1]
First Aid/TL3		IQ+0/E	14	[1]
Guns/TL4 (Pistol)	DX+2/E	14	[4]
Hiking			HT-1/A	11	[1]
Holdout			IQ+1/A	15	[4]
Knife			DX+2/E	14	[4]
Lip Reading		Per-1/A	13	[1]
Lockpicking/TL3		IQ+1/A	15	[4]
Meditation		Wil-2/H	12	[1]
Mimicry (Speech)	IQ+1/H	15	[2]
Mimicry (Bird Calls)	IQ+0/H	14	[1]
Musical Composition  	IQ+2/H	16	[1]
Musical Instrument  	IQ+4/H	18	[4] (Guitar)
Musical Instrument 	IQ+2/H	16	[1] (Flute)
Musical Instrument	IQ+2/H	16	[1] (Lute)
Musical Influence	IQ+2/VH	16	[2]
Navigation/TL3 (Land)	IQ-1/A	13	[1]
Observation		Per+0/A	14	[2]
Pickpocket		DX+0/H	12	[4]
Poetry 			IQ-1/A	13	[1]
Persuade (Music)	Wil-1/H	13	[2]
Public Speaking  	IQ+1/A	15	[1]
Riding (Horse)		DX+0/A	12	[2]
Running			HT+0/A	12	[2]
Savoir-Faire		IQ+0/E	14	[1] (High Society)
Savoir-Faire (Military)	IQ+0/E	14	[1] 
Search			Per-1/A	13	[1]
Sewing/TL3		DX+2/E	14	[1]
Shadowing		IQ+0/A	14	[2]
Singing  		HT+7/E	19	[2]
Smuggling		IQ+0/A	14	[2]
Staff			DX+4/A	16	[16]
Stealth			DX+0/A	12	[2]
Streetwise  		IQ+1/A	15	[4]
Suggest (Music)		Wil-2/H	12	[1]
Survival (Woods)	Per-1/A	13	[1]
Survival (Plains)	Per-1/A	13	[1]
Survival (Mountains)	Per-1/A	13	[1]
Sway Emotions (Music)	Wil-1/H	13	[2]
Swimming		HT+0/E	12	[1]
Thrown Weapon (Knife)	DX+0/E	12	[1]
Tracking		Per+0/A	14	[2]
Urban Survival  	Per+0/A	14	[2]
Wrestling		DX+0/A	12	[2]

Counterattack (Staff)-5	Base-3	13	[3]
Evade (Acrobatics)Base	Base+2	13	[2]
Sweep (Staff)	Base-3	Base+0	16	[4]

Equipment:					lbs.
Acoustic Guitar "Saul"			---	5
CU Mk. III JB Custom, "Mage Killer"	$300	5
Ammunition, 19 Shots			$40	1.9
Gun-Cleaning Kit			$20	0.5
Holdout Holster	(-1 to Fast-Draw)	$50	1
Large Throwing Knife x5			$200	5
Small Throwing Knife x10		$300	5
Very Fine Quarter Staff			$150	4
Balanced Fine Stiletto			$160	0.25
Balanced Fine Rondel Dagger		$320	1
Balanced Fine Long Knife		$960	1.5
Heavy Cloak	DR 1-cutting		$90	3
Boots		DR 2, Feet		$80	3
Leather Jacket	DR 1-felxible		$50	4
Leather Pants	DR 1-flexible		$40	3
Tailor's Kit				$95	2.75
Personal Basics TL3			$5	1
Lockpicks				$50	-
Covered Lantern				$40	2.5
Oil, 1 Pint				$2	1
Sulfur Matches	(20)			$5	-
Makeup Kit				$5	0.1
Flute					$100	1
Art and Writing Supplies		$10	0.4
Blanket					$20	4
Compact Feather Pillow			$50	1
Wineskin x2 w/ 1.5 Gallons water	$20	12.5
Bottle of Fine Wine x1			$50	3
Backpack, Heavy Compartentalization	$125	12
Climbing Gear				$20	4
Padded Grappling Hook			$30	3
3/8" Hempen Rope, 60 yards		$30	9
Trail Rations, 2 days			$12	3
Whetstone				$5	1
Wool Scarf				$10	0.5
Fur-Lined Leather Gloves		$75	0.5
An Ordinary Wooden Bowl			---	0.5
Wind-proof Water-proof Lighter		$30	-
Large Electric Lantern (crank powered)	$30	3
Compass					$25
Luger LP8 Parabellum	x4			11.6

$2481 in Precious metal coins, unkown exchange value
Cufftape, 1 spool, slightly used		0.5
Mini-Rappel Kit.				3
815 in nu-coin

$3519

Damage	Acc	Range		Weight	RoF	Shots	ST	Bulk	Rcl
"Mage Killer"	1d pi	1	10/50		5/0.1	1x10	1(40)	11	-4	1
Large Throwing	thr imp	1	x1/x2		1	1	T(1)	6	-1
Small Throwing	thr-i imp 1	x.8/1.5		0.5	1	T(1)	5	0
Luger LP8 	3d-1 pi	2	160/1,800 	2.9/0.5	3	8+1(3)	9	-3	2

Damage		Reach	Parry	Weight	ST
Rondel Dagger	thr+1 imp	C	-1	1	6	+1 to Knife, -1 to Breaking, +2 to Chinks in Armor
Stiletto	thr imp		C	-1	0.25	5	+1 to Knife, -1 to Breaking, +2 to Chinks in Armor
Long Knife	sw cut		C,1	0	1.5	7	+1 to Knife Skill, -1 to Breaking
	or	thr+1 imp	C,1	0			
Quarterstaff	sw+2 cr		1,2	+2	4	7	-2 to Breaking
	or	thr+2 cr	1,2	+2				

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“An asal dasha...” Jenna mutters, then loosens her scarf a little so she can speak clearly. “Hold on, you're a dinosaur with a rifle who speaks English?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“That's uh...” Jenna hesitates for a moment. The last time she told someone she came from another world she almost got mindwiped. Things seemed to have changed a lot on Earth while she was gone, but it was best to play it safe. “That's a long story. More importantly, do you know what the hell happened here?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“Nukes huh? Figures.” Jenna hops off the train car and starts slowly walking towards the group. They seem a lot friendlier than the people she met last night, at any rate. “I, uh, just got into town last night. Guess I've seen what that disease does. I didn't get bitten or anything.” She stops about 15 yards from the group and looks at the raptor. “So that explains the welcome committee and the wreckage, but, if you don't mind my asking, what sort of Jurassic Parking led to you?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“The truth? Like I said, it's a long story, and you probably wouldn't believe it anyway. But then, you are a talking dinosaur. So you tell me the truth first. The dinosaurs died out millions of years ago, and yet here you are in the middle of Chicago. How did that come to be?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“Wait, all the other worlds? I mean, I knew there was, like, an orc world and a dwarf and all that, and I suppose whatever world that thing from that Blackwoods came from,” a slight shudder runs through her, “but I thought there was just the one of each. Didn't think you could go from one to the other, either, but I guess until last night I thought the banestorm was a one way trip.”

Realizing she's started rambling she looks at the group and smiles. “Anyway, I'm Jenna, I just got back from one hell of a trip,” she extends her right hand and adds, “you guys aren't gonna try to brainwash me or anything, are you?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Well, that wasn't the strangest greeting she'd ever gotten. With a small shrug, Jenna leans in and takes a quick sniff of the dinosaur's head. “I guess I can take this test, if you guys are going first. But like I said, I didn't get bitten, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about.” She turns and starts walking back to the train car. “Guess this car is as safe a place as any. Got me through the night at least. So what are you all doing out here, anyway?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Airborne? That's cheating." It was then that she took in that the four of them were all wearing gas-masks of some kind. "I guess it'd be too much to hope for that you'd have a spare gas-mask somewhere." She tightens the scarf around her face all the same, hoping that fine craftsdwarfship counted for something.

The test is much less painful than she expected, and starts to remind her how much she missed technology.

"Plan to do? Well so far I've only had time to get to 'don't get eaten by an angry mob' so I guess I'm doing just fine on that one. Suppose I didn't really have anywhere to go on this side anymore, less so with the whole apocalypse going down while I was away. If you can't tell me what mission you're on, could you at least tell me where you're headed? I've been out of town for a while, but I still know Chicago pretty well. And if things get dicey I can handle myself." She gives a showy spin of her staff. "You can't find a better guide to the mean streets of Chicago."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Yeah, university medical center should just be a few blocks north, the L tracks should get you there no problem." As she's talking, she throws her wrapped guitar across her back and pulls a small bundle of ropes and hooks from her pack before throwing it over her shoulders.

Then she gestures at the dinosaur that was also a Captain with her staff. "Trust me, I've tangled with much worse than zombies with this thing and come out alright. I do have a gun, but my staff has a better effective range. And if I need long range," she lifts her arms apart revealing the array of throwing knives holstered on her chest and thighs, "I come prepared."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

This issn't right. Weren't the L tracks supposed to be a few blocks west of here? Sure she'd been gone a long time, but it was still strange. Why would they move the tracks just a few blocks like this? Maybe build a new line, sure, but even that would be odd so close to the other one. But there wasn't any sign of the old tracks, either.

The view is strange, too. She didn't have a chance to really look around before, but now with all the walking she can take in the scenery, and it wasn't quite right. Not just the obvious signs of the nukes. The buildings that are still standing look strange. The downtown skyline, or what she can see of it from her slightly elevated vantage point, is all wrong. Did something happen in the past decade to make them rebuild the whole city? Would they have even had time for that? She hadn't been gone that long. Did time flow differently on Yrth, maybe?

She is so distracted by all of these thoughts that she doesn't notice when the group comes to a stop and she nearly runs into the doctor from behind. This must be the place they're headed. The others are all fiddling around with their electronics, and Jenna realizes that she'd been so distracted looking at the city that she'd forgotten the whole zombie situation. Wanting to make herself useful she crouches low to the ground and starts scanning the tracks heading into the station and the street, sidewalks, and university lawn below for any signs of people, or things that used to be, nearby.

Tracking 13

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Well there's certainly plenty of traffic in the area. Probably not a good sign. Jenna is about to fill everyone in when the tall woman in the... is that a space suit?... starts talking. “So just how important are these people? There's only one cure for this sort of thing, and I think we're all carrying it.

“Unless maybe you want to fill me in on what exactly this mission is about? I can tell you that this is a pretty high-traffic area, so whatever we're doing we want to be super careful.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“So if they have a cure, there's no problem, right? And if they don't the guy is already gone. If they want to go down to the wire on this I'm not gonna stop them, but once someone turns you put a bullet in their head before they can take anyone else with them. That's how survival is. You can't sacrifice the living for the sake of the dead.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna leans against the railing while she waits for radio contact to be made. No point making plans without hearing from the people they're meeting up with. Then Vri -- who is apparently the leader, which makes perfect sense -- starts talking into the radio.

"So, are these people expecting, uh... this sort of rescue team?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“So we've got a gunshot,” Jenna exaggeratedly looks around the ruin cityscape, “and this should pass as a war zone. If this other team is bringing the truck, sounds like you should be all set, doc. As for what you all came here for,” she adds, casually spinning a grappling hook in her left hand, “I may have never been on the outside of a space station, but getting into a third-floor window undetected? Done plenty of that.”

She takes a moment to survey the buildings around them. These people seemed to know which one the researchers were holed up in, but everything was just wrong enough to give Jenna some trouble. “Now I'm not exactly sure which of these buildings we're looking at. They must have done some remodeling since I was here last. Half of the buildings in the medical district could pass for a hospital anyway. At any rate, there's no point sitting around doing nothing.”

I edited Jenna's inventory a bit when I realized that "Climbing Gear" is not nearly as comprehensive as I thought it was.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Maybe save the fireworks for when we're on our way out? Don't want to draw the whole city to us. If we can get the people on the inside to make some noise on the north east end of the building, that should be enough. Assuming you all know how to move quietly.

"Don't know if you have the equipment to rig some sort of remote detonation, but crawling around inside other buildings sounds like a whole lot of risk. The area looks pretty populated, but the outside is clear, which means they're all hiding inside. If you want to go in looking for 'em, I can't stop you, but there are plenty of more pleasant ways to kill yourself.

"Now how good a shot are you three?" She indicates Karima, Vri, and the guy in the riot suit who had yet to share his name. "Might want some cover fire on the way across the lawn in case anyone decides to pop out of either of those two buildings."

Sharing a helpful image from IRC:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/dzxhU.jpg][/timg]
I figure we'd go a bit south before getting off the tracks to have a straight shot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

While the two teams are talking, Jenna has some time to think. If transport out was already here, no sense wasting time with stealth that could go very bad very quickly. Better to just pile everyone in the truck as quickly as possible and sort it all out later. They'd need the cooperation of the researchers for that. Leaving the doctor to coordinate with the other team, she turns to the others. “Alright, I've got a plan. If you can get me on the line with the researchers, we might be able to get through this with only minimal time spent near that zombie hive.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna ignores the stirring vote of confidence from the raptor. “Well the good news about this plan is the researchers do most of the work. We just have to wait until they're ready and park this truck next to the building while they climb out a third-story window. Hopefully after causing a big distraction, because if we can hear that from Van Buren everything inside that hospital is sure gonna hear it, too. And while the researchers are getting ready, doc can handle that gunshot. Just tell them to turn down Damen and they should spot us easily enough.”

There is a brief moment of hesitation at Vri's last comment. “Water rat?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"If they don't have any rope we can throw some up to them quick enough. Three floors isn't that high. If they can't find anything explosive on the top floors of the hospital one of us can try to rig something up out here, but I think top priority right now is to get the researchers preparing to bug out. If the infected one hasn't turned yet, we can deal with them once they're in the truck. If they have turned, they're going to be just one more zombie to watch out for."

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 11, 2012

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna gives the dinosaur a quizzical look. "If they're in such bad shape that they can't go down a few flights of stairs, I don't know how we're ever going to get them out of there."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna is agape at Austin's plan. "Clear them out? That sounds like a good way to get us all killed. Or worse. I believe the number of zombies hiding out on the first two floors is somewhere in the vicinity of a gently caress load. The upper floors are completely sealed off, according to the researchers, so they should be safe. I see no reason for us to go climbing up there at this point just so we can climb right back out. These are adults we're rescuing, right? Not children that need their hand held for every little thing?"

She lets out an exasperated sigh. "Whatever we're doing, there's no reason those people over there shouldn't be preparing to leave as quickly as possible, and they need to know that. So if someone could please get me a radio and patch me through to them, I can make sure they're doing something useful while we hash out the finer details."

Catching her breath, she turns to the Captain. "Sure I can get a grapple up there, though you look like you've got a better arm than me. Throwing a grapple isn't really that hard, especially if there's someone waiting up top to catch it."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna sets her staff down and looks over the rifle, pointing it down the road and looking down the sights. “Man, where the hell were you yesterday? This would've shown those Eyreaþ fuckers what's what. Should probably keep it in the truck, though,” she says as she sets the gun back down. “I've never shot anything like that before, couldn't do much more than spray and pray.” She picks her staff back up with a flourish. “I'll be more helpful with what I'm used to for now. If they get so real thick or real far, I'll give the rifle a try.”

Then she turns to the arrogant lady in the fancy clothes. “I'm Jenna,” she extends her hand in a friendly greeting, “are you the water rat?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna reaches out, grabs the stout woman's hand and gives it a firm shake. “Well nice to meet you Mayla of the Relshan family of Clan Resharro. And hell, the circumstances could be worse. People speak a language I know, nobody has tried to sell me out to a bunch of brainwashing wizard assholes, and I've been here at least twelve hours and only one thing has tried to eat me. So I'm doing better than the last time this happened.”

Turing to the woman lying on her back. “Virginia has their own defense force? Did you guys secede again while I was gone, of is that just what they call the National Guard down there? As for where I came from, well that's a long story, but I'm originally from right here in Chicago. Was in better shape last time I was here, though.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna gives the red-head a puzzled look. “What do you mean my Chicago? Chicago is Chicago. They did a lot of...let's say redecorating since I was here last, but that was over a decade ago. You should probably sit still while the doc works, don't worry about the radio. I think the astronaut has the frequency, anyway.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“Wait a second, just hold on,” Jenna sits down on the edge of the truck and is lost in thought for a while. By the time she speaks again, the bullet has already been removed from Phoebe's shoulder. “No, no it doesn't make any sense. This multiple Earths, multiple Chicagos talk. Yrth, where I just came from, the name sounds similar, but it's not the same. The geography and everything else is completely different. Sure, they've got a Jerusalem there, but they named it after the first one. Unless you came from another world that got populated via Banestorm, which I suppose it possible, but it'd have to have happened after Chicago existed, and you'd think something that big within the past few hundred years would've made it into a history book or two. Certainly it would have been mentioned in your histories, or at least in legends, right?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“But this is Chicago. It's got the same streets, it's got St. Adalbert's church right where it should be. I've known about other worlds for years. I've met plenty of people and,” a small shudder runs down her spine, “other things, from different worlds. But why would two different worlds have the same Chicago? How could two completely different, unrelated peoples build the exact same city? What are the odds of that?”

She lets out a long sigh. “But I suppose there are more pressing matters at hand. So could someone get the researchers back on the line so we can at least make some fully informed plans?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“Ah buí Críst,” Jenna exhales as she quickly grabs the protective gear and puts it on, pulling her hood back up and leaving the scarf around her neck. It felt like every bit of protection would help. Finally she turns to the woman that offered them and looks her directly in the eyes. “Thanks.”

Then she turns her attention to the dinosaur. “With all due respect, Captain, perhaps we should hold off on finalizing any plan until we have a better grasp on the researcher's situation.” Then she turns her head and calls to Astra, “Ask them to look for anything they could use as rope. Tell them to tie bedsheets together if they have to. The faster they can get out of the building and into the truck, the less likely anyone gets eaten.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

On the cop's advice, Austin was his name, apparently, Jenna does her best to secure the mask with what she has. Then she carefully stows her pack and guitar under one of the seats of the truck. No point in carrying all that weight around if things were about to get busy, and if she was getting out of here alive, it would be in the truck. Then he tosses her the roll of tape. “Uh, thanks,” is all she can come up with as she searches for a way to affix the roll to one of the many straps and holsters on her body.

Then there is more talk of plans, talk of climbing into the hospital, but no clear plan for how to get out. With a sigh she digs around in her pack before coming away with a piece of chalk and stars sketching on the sidewalk beside the truck.

“Ok, look, I've extracted people from hostile territory plenty of times before. We can do this, but the escape is going to be messy, and I don't see any way around that. Anyway, here's us,” she indicates the circle at the corner of her drawing, “and here's the hospital. The first arrow is the infiltration team, me, the Doc, and whoever else thinks they'll be useful.” She looks at Captain Vri. “The X here is where we get someone inside the building to go down to the third floor and start stomping around, making lots of noise. They said they've got the place secured, so it should be safe enough for them, and hopefully they can make enough of a distraction so none of the zombie notice us tossing up the grapple and climbing in a third-floor window.

“Once we're inside, we can start helping the researchers get ready, gather supplies, and prepare for phase two. This,” she points at the red scribble at the corner of the building, “is the start of phase two. Somewhere inside there we need to find oxygen tanks or anything else we can make explode from three stories up. Should probably bring a grenade or two for backup. Once we've got everything we're taking, researchers included, gathered at a suitable window on the north side third floor, and our escape ropes prepared, everything we need to get out that window as quickly as possible, we radio to the team back at the truck that we're about to start the party. Those of us who are fit enough to sprint from one end of the hospital to the other will chuck the tanks out the window, start the fireworks, and hopefully get every zombie in the building to come running.

“At this point the truck,” she points to the red arrow, “guns and parks right up beside the building, beneath the waiting team. They start lowering down anyone who needs to be lowered, then the rest climb down, and hopefully by then whoever set off the explosion will have made it back to the escape point just in time to climb into the truck themself. Once everyone is in the truck we drive away as fast as possible. The zombies will probably notice us by then, but they shouldn't be able to catch up once we start moving, and there will be plenty of guns in the truck besides.

“Optionally, we can leave some sharpshooters on the train tracks here,” she indicates the yellow marking. “They can provide cover fire, and once the truck starts moving they start moving north for the rendezvous. The truck can circle back around, and turn north on Damen, slowing down enough for the snipers to hop in. There will probably be a nice crowd following the truck still, so they'll have to jump in from the tracks. It won't be more than ten feet though, so they should be alright. And then we leave the angry mob in the dust.

“If anyone has a problem with that plan, please try to come up with a solution. It's not perfect, but there's no way we can do perfect in this situation without a helicopter or some gryphons.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"We have flashbangs? Those might stir up some commotion, but I don't think we can climb fast enough to get up before the shock wears off, so we'd need to toss them away from where we're climbing, and this is all getting even more moving parts." As she speaks she begins winding her rope with the grapple attached loosely over her left shoulder.

Then she turns to Astra. "We'll want to get back in touch with the researchers, see if any of the healthy ones are up for stomping around on the third floor to help us sneak in. Probably the safest way to make a distraction we've got."

Turning to Mayla she adds, "If you're a good shot, you should probably find a good post for now, at least to cover us when we go in in case something goes terribly wrong. For the final escape it'd be faster if you just gunned from the back of the truck, but point is we've got options."

To Ethan she says, "If you can set up a remote explosion ahead of time, that would certainly remove a lot of chance from the 'hope there's something inside that can survive a three-story drop that we can get to explode from that high up' part of the plan."

Finally she turns back to Vri. "A gryphon is sorta like you, but with wings and a beak."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"That is the plan, Captain. You should probably carry the grenades, though. I'm not used to that sort of thing. And I don't know what sort of space pitons those are, but I will take the rope. We're going to need as much as we can get for the dramatic exit." As a final thought, she takes the rappelling kit from the box 'Section Eight' gave her earlier and attaches it to her belt.

She takes a deep breath as she prepares herself for heading directly towards danger. "Alright, no sense waiting. Doc, turn the radio low. Austin, let us know when they wander away from the windows. Let's do this."

Relevant skills for phase one: Stealth 12, Climbing 12, DX 12 for grapple throwing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna nods in agreement with the plan, not wanting to make any unnecessary noise this close to hostile territory. With half the rope still coiled over her shoulder, it only made sense for her to go up last.

Stealth and Climbing 12. The maximum load for Jenna's rope is ~300 pounds per 10 yards, so it should easily support Vri's weight, as long as we all go one at a time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna holds her breath when the zombie wanders outside, but continues climbing as she was before. She is close enough to the window that even if these things can climb, she'll get to the top before it gets to her, especially if the two sharpshooters do their job.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Suddenly the rope becomes a good deal less stable. poo poo, she curses to herself, and begins to take the climb more carefully. There is no way a zombie is going to beat a dinosaur at tug-o-war, and there's only a few more feet to go if it knows how to climb. And all that is only if its head doesn't explode in the next few seconds. Nothing to worry about, no need to do anything reckless.

Climbing 12, taking extra time to keep an effective skill of at least 13 after whatever penalties are produced by rope-pulling antics.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

After hauling herself into the building, Jenna spares a glance down at the screaming zombie. "Well there goes stealth. Hopefully our shooters can slip away. Lets do what we came here for before things get any more complicated. Someone ring up those researchers and try to figure out where they're hiding, alright?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Nice to meet you doc, let's get moving. Sooner we get out of here, the less likely that our friends in the truck get eaten."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"You've been studying these things, right? You know how long it takes for someone to turn, and if there are any warning signs? Or will he just be walking down some stairs one moment, trying to crack open our skulls the next?" She reaches for the roll of tape strapped to her leg. "Either way, we've got our own restraints that should keep him in line. Will probably have to tie the end of the rope around him and lower him down when we make our exit, though. Don't want him turning halfway down the rope.

"As for Jon, how much upper body strength would you say he has? I guess that goes for all of you, really. I doubt they teach rappelling in college."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

“Yeah, we've got an escape plan worked out. It'll probably wake up every zombie in the university, but if we move quickly we'll be on the road before too many notice us.

“Just one more thing before we get moving,” she says as she takes the tape in her hand and moves toward the one in the hazmat suit. “Can't imagine this will be comfortable, but I'm sure you understand.” The cop had said something about putting pieces on specific muscles, but Jenna hadn't really been able to follow it all, and she doesn't figure it would work through the suit anyway. Instead she takes a long piece of tape and wraps in around the zombie-to-be's torso and arms twice, just below the shoulders. Then she does the same over his hands and wrists. She does all this while trying not to look at his face; no reason to get attached with someone already on his way out. Once she's confident that his arms are completely immobile, she turns back to the rest of the group.

“Alright, let's get to the third floor and find a good place the set the ropes. You think you can give him a lift down the stairs, Cap?”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Hillary Clinton? The name sounded a little familiar, but she couldn't place exactly why. It was something from her childhood that now seemed little more than a faintly remembered dream. But what drew her attention more was Dr. Clinton's response, about being something else on another world. Certainly Jenna had a different career on Yrth than before she left Earth, but for the doctor to say she'd only heard of it, that didn't make any sense.

She thinks back to what the red-head in the truck had said about multiple Chicagos, and then something catches her eye. It's a calendar hanging on a wall. While the others are arguing about the dead-man-walking, Jenna crosses to room to get a closer look. She pulls it off the wall and examines it thoroughly. It seems new enough, dusty from the bombs and all, but not decades old. The year reads 2006. This building wasn't even a hospital in 2011, no way somebody would hang up a calendar that was over 5 years old after the place was rebuilt. And if the calendar is accurate, she would have remembered Chicago becoming a nuclear zombie wasteland when she was 14. All the evidence was mounting up, and there was only one explanation that made sense.

“Lobdah soiþghin sceit,” she curses, and throws the calendar to the ground. She must have the worst luck in the worlds at interdimensoinal travel. But this is not the time to dwell on such things. She takes a deep breath and puts on her game face before turning back to the group and the matter at hand. “Yeah, let's get ready to move out first. If we all get on the road before he turns it'll be a lot easier to make sure he's not a threat.”

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Gotcha Doc, I'll run ahead and get the ropes set up." With that she vaults over the railing to next flight down on the other side of the stairwell, getting ahead of the rest of the group and begins dashing down the stairs, heading for the third floor. There she hopes to find a window on the north side near some good pillars she can use to secure the ropes for climbing down without having to worry about knots.

Basic Speed/Move 6, Acrobatics 11, Running 12. Gogogogogo.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

As soon as the others get to the exit point, Jenna begins securing the tying the ropes around the waists of those that will need help going down. There's enough rope to secure two people to each rope with about ten yards between them, slightly less on the astronaut's rope, but a dinosaur ought to be able to handle two humans for the short time they'll both be on the weight of the rope.

The explosion goes off sooner than expected, but Jenna keeps her calm as best she can. No sense rushing and screwing something up. Once she has the less physically able of the group as secure as she's going to get them, she indicates a simple knot secured in front of them. “Once you're in the truck, you need to undo this knot as quickly as possible, or else you'll be stuck tethered to the building when we drive off. And don't forget to help him out,” she indicates the zombie-to-be, “because the rest of us will be busy holding off the farewell party. Once you've got the one end of the rope loose you should be alright, but you might want to undo the rest of the knots and get out of the way if you don't want Captain Vri climbing down on top of you.”

Once she's done with that she takes her position at the rappelling set-up Rags gave her. She'd never used anything like it before, but it seemed simple enough, and sliding down a rope wasn't exactly complicated. All that was left was to watch the neighborhood run by and wait for their ride show up.

Setting up the ropes as follows: Clinton----Other Researcher on Jenna's rope, Zombor----Legs on Astra's. Priority is on the unhealthy ones, if there isn't time for everyone.

pre:
ST 11/DX 12/ IQ 13/HT 12	HP  11/Will 13/Per  13/FP  12
B.S. 6/B.M. 6/B.L. 24	Thrust 1d-1/Swing 1d+1  
Active Defense: Parry 14 (Staff)
Adv: Combat Reflexes, Very Fit, Quick Sheath (Pistol), Grip Mastery (Staff)
Skills: Acrobatics 11, Brawling 14, Climbing 12, Staff 16, Wrestling 12
Fast Draw (Pistol/Knife) 14, Guns (Pistol) 14, Knife 14, Thrown Weapon (Knife) 12
Weapon: Quarterstaff sw 1d+3 cr Reach-1,2
			thr 1d+1 cr Reach-1,2
Armor:
Face: Filter Mask - DR 10
Torso,Legs: Leather Clothes – DR 1-flexible, Heavy Cloak – DR 1-cutting
Feet: Leather Boots – DR 2

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Yeah, no sense alerting anyone that might still be hanging out beneath us that we're coming down."

• Locked thread