Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think Talking Heads is a much better fit as they clearly didn't really give a poo poo about the red hot chili peppers. Also changing the name and subject of a show 4 minutes in is inherently hilarious and a great bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

The energy for their show has always been focusing their fanboy-ness into doing deep research, talking about their mindsets at the time and how the music effected them, and getting on guests that share a similar passion. To have them slog through a band where they couldn’t even get a 2nd episode off the ground floor would’ve been miserable.

One thing I am curious about is that U2 and REM are basically their lives from 10 - 35 so we’ve heard a lot of the context and memories from that period twice. REM had special charm because Adam was obsessed and had so many relations and deep connections there. I wonder if Talking Heads will be like that for Scott, or what may give this some listening power week after week. I found myself wanting to skip the beginning of some of the later eps when they would play the I Love Films bit or others into the ground by mispronouncing the same word for 2 minutes

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved when the ad for the RHCP shirt came up. That's gonna be a collector's item.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
ok but what do they think about Sir Psycho Sexy!?!??!?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's pretty cool and interesting that they're covering a good band for once, but I feel like RHCP made for a more fun podcast.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Should have been 2 Talking Heads Talkin' Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
catchphrase submission!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The best ep was the commentary ep IMO, that ep was loving hilarious and nothing else could really live up to it

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Noticed something real cute from the Stay F Homekins instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCxR7E_JchG/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCNLem6J8tb/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBpEgVKp4fh/

They light up candles to go with their weekend water and sit across a dinner table from each other. It's like a Friday date between two long time married people, how cute.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

They light up candles to go with their weekend water and sit across a dinner table from each other. It's like a Friday date between two long time married people, how cute.

Those mic stands are so PFT. Also a bit impractical but they look cool.

Also, I haven't been listening to it too much but I thought Bonanas for Bonanza was only supposed to be for 8 episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

Also, I haven't been listening to it too much but I thought Bonanas for Bonanza was only supposed to be for 8 episodes.

I mean, according to Earwolf, sure. But Dalton does not share their city-slicking opinion :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You have to remember that episode 1 of this season started with episode 3 of Bonanza because they already did the first two

piratepilates posted:

He did this for Spontaneanation too I think, I remember him saying on Todd Glass's podcast (is that still a thing? the early episodes were so good) that he got the idea from him

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

He did this for Spontaneanation too I think, I remember him saying on Todd Glass's podcast (is that still a thing? the early episodes were so good) that he got the idea from him

He did, because there's an HH episode where the boys steal the Spont mics and buttons and they joke about stealing all the candles too. I think PFT talks about it on Threedom, too?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

You have to remember that episode 1 of this season started with episode 3 of Bonanza because they already did the first two

A good excuse to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtBujEncAg

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Todd's hatred of overhead lighting is one of his most understandable eccentricities. I was surprised when I first saw Spont was recorded in candlelight because I figured PFTv was pretty much sane, though I guess candles aren't that expensive.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I love Todd, and I agree about the lighting, but hiring someone to play drums with your playlist of recorded music is insane.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a person with 4 smartbulb lamps in every room, Todd and I see eye to eye on lighting. And hey, I can even get behind going a little nuts with reverb. But the drums, man. The drums are too far.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Can we talk about reverb though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll be damned if Todd doesn't sound better every time he cranks that reverb dial

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I used to listen to Todd's podcast regularly and I got so used to his weird quirks. When he did Staind Glass and Adam Scott was so blown away by them it hit even harder. Amazing episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I adored The Todd Glass Show for a long time but when he switched from Blackhorse to recording out of his home studio it killed it. Plus I don't know if his bits started getting more repetitive or if I just started having less tolerance for hearing repetitive bits, but it got real old eventually. Would highly, highly recommend anyone whose never checked it out to give some PFT episodes a listen. Juice Bar Genie has a very special place in my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZqdg7k01lE

e: But when it's great it's great, and you're just listening to comics build amazing bits together in real time, then rework and refine them. If you have any tolerance at all for Pete Holmes, his TTGS episode is just brilliant back to front, finding someone who is so utterly delighted by Todd's shtick is just wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EriirT-4_k

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 21, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
how did this get played is so much better than how did this get made that its embarrassing

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

scary ghost dog posted:

how did this get played is so much better than how did this get made that its embarrassing

The hosts are still invested in the show, give it a few months until they realize that just screaming questions and repeating phrases is the real ticket to success

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

The hosts are still invested in the show, give it a few months until they realize that just screaming questions and repeating phrases is the real ticket to success

i think its the difference between a show hosted by writers and a show hosted by performers

edit: also, no live episodes even for the 10 months of episodes pre-covid. theyve had time to sink into the formula and theres been no drop in quality. both hosts are very knowledgable about games, theyre very funny and its well edited. the games they cover are always interesting and often either surprisingly or obviously good so theres no fatigue from playing lovely games constantly. its really an excellent podcast, especially compared to how did this get made, which has varied significantly in quality depending almost entirely on whether the guest is good

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 21, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I really don't like How Did This Get Made, they repeat the plot like beat for beat interspersed with a "this is crazy" like a child just getting out of a movie they just saw does, why not just watch Hell Comes To Frog town, and just have the experience Jason Manzoukis is trying to simulate for you

Do they screen their movies at the live shows? That sounds like it'd be fun, a panel of comedians being like "Hahaha, you see this poo poo"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 21, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, it's awful. A shame because I like everyone involved, but the show is just them watching fairly innocuous movies and acting as if they're the most insane, audacious thing that's ever been put on screen.

Everyone should listen to the episode where they get the Crocodile Dundee writer on, though. They just dunk on Paul Hogan the whole time and expose what a complete credit-stealing, egotistical rear end in a top hat he is.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

I really don't like How Did This Get Made, they repeat the plot like beat for beat interspersed with a "this is crazy" like a child just getting out of a movie they just saw does, why not just watch Hell Comes To Frog town, and just have the experience Jason Manzoukis is trying to simulate for you

Do they screen their movies at the live shows? That sounds like it'd be fun, a panel of comedians being like "Hahaha, you see this poo poo"

I like the rehashing of the plots. Especially if I haven't watched the movie and don't really feel like watching most of the movies they do on the show.

Their live episodes aren't usually great though because it's more playing to the crowd and repetitive between episodes as opposed to finding comedy in the discussion. There are exceptions, but I much preferred them when they were in studio. But, they've realized the money is in doing the show live and I can't say I blame them.

I also think it's a bit unfair to compare HDTGM to HDTGP. They aren't really the same except in name.

It's also been going on for almost a decade and I'm sure their heart isn't into it as much as at the beginning.

I will also admit I'm not a huge fan of June on the show.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Action Boyz is like if HDTGM was good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

I like the rehashing of the plots. Especially if I haven't watched the movie and don't really feel like watching most of the movies they do on the show.

Their live episodes aren't usually great though because it's more playing to the crowd and repetitive between episodes as opposed to finding comedy in the discussion. There are exceptions, but I much preferred them when they were in studio. But, they've realized the money is in doing the show live and I can't say I blame them.

I also think it's a bit unfair to compare HDTGM to HDTGP. They aren't really the same except in name.

It's also been going on for almost a decade and I'm sure their heart isn't into it as much as at the beginning.

I will also admit I'm not a huge fan of June on the show.

I agree with pretty much all this. I like both shows and I think outside the name there's not really any connection, but HDTGM has been on for literally ten times as long as HDTGP so I think comparing them at this point is also a bit unfair. I do think the pandemic has been a blessing for HDTGM as it's cut off the live shows and guests and I think the format of the three of them just talking more casually has been an improvement. I am kind of surprised that the show has kept going on this long, especially as there was a period when June ditched the show for a while and Paul Scheer started Unspooled that I figured it was setting it up to end. But it must be a money maker for Earwolf.

That being said I think the quality of HDTGP can vary too, though so far it's generally stayed pretty high. Though I think the big revelation for me from that show is Matt Apodaca, he's great.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree with pretty much all this. I like both shows and I think outside the name there's not really any connection, but HDTGM has been on for literally ten times as long as HDTGP so I think comparing them at this point is also a bit unfair. I do think the pandemic has been a blessing for HDTGM as it's cut off the live shows and guests and I think the format of the three of them just talking more casually has been an improvement. I am kind of surprised that the show has kept going on this long, especially as there was a period when June ditched the show for a while and Paul Scheer started Unspooled that I figured it was setting it up to end. But it must be a money maker for Earwolf.

That being said I think the quality of HDTGP can vary too, though so far it's generally stayed pretty high. Though I think the big revelation for me from that show is Matt Apodaca, he's great.

Yeah, the pandemic has 'helped' the show. I like the less manic version of the studio (zoom) shows.

I too am surprised that it's lasted this long but I think it's a pretty easy show to do/make. And for Jason and June it's only a small commitment every two weeks. Except for live shows but that's probably lucrative enough to make it worth it for them.

And Matt Apodaca is great.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

From past download estimates and all that, it is far and away their most popular and mainstream show, so imagine it’s a pretty easy paycheck to get and keeps both sides happy.

Like I get showbiz at a macro scale is feast or famine, but I feel like comedy podcasts are basically as lucrative as you can get for a host. You can literally show up with zero prep, talk for 30 - 60 minutes, and get paid.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Action Boyz is like if HDTGM was good.

the mean reason why i never started action boyz is i feared it would be too much like HDTGM

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

the mean reason why i never started action boyz is i feared it would be too much like HDTGM

No, it's actually good and funny, and they do slightly more research.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

It's a different dynamic. Both are good but besides being podcasts about movies they aren't really that similar.

E: To clarify, HDTGM comes from the perspective of a new viewer and Action Boyz usually comes from the perspective of people who've seen and enjoyed the movies. They can still be critical and just as bewildered by things though.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 21, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
heyyy buddy, my friend, my buddy

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Franchescanado posted:

No, it's actually good and funny, and they do slightly more research.

Mmmmm. Cum I will!

But yeah action boyz is right in a specific persons wheelhouse. Are you 30-45 and raised on vhs rentals and cable tv with a healthy dose of toxic masculinity? If so!!!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Mmmmm. Cum I will!

But yeah action boyz is right in a specific persons wheelhouse. Are you 30-45 and raised on vhs rentals and cable tv with a healthy dose of toxic masculinity? If so!!!

Yeah, it is pretty great.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m enjoying the talking heads pod more than I expected so far, probably because it’s the first band they’ve covered that I like and have owned a few of their albums for a long time but don’t know a ton about.

I’ll never understand Scott’s obsession with resequencing albums though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this fuckjng sucks about the rss feed thing