Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m a long time HH ads enjoyer but I couldn’t take this week’s, 30 minutes of ads are too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
For me if the ad is a repeat I just skip it, if it's new (or very funny) I listen, and if it's something I'm interested in I use the promo code at checkout.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I will NEVER buy something because of a podcast ad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been subscribed to Harry's for a long time originally using the HH code but I've been delaying the next box every time for the past like year

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i might actually have to get the videos because this bit killed

https://twitter.com/flagrantonespod/status/1357477083627180035

you can see the moment where hayes recognizes exactly where sean is going lol

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terror Sweat posted:

Every once in a while I hear an ad for something that actually sounds...good...to me, and go to check it out and use the promo address and everything. Then I see that My Sheets Rock sheets are $170 for a set. And I close the tab.

Podcast ads seem to be targeted at people who make, at minimum, double my annual income.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Terror Sweat posted:

harrys razors are genuinely great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I forgot to use the HH promo code when I finally ordered something from a podcast ad. Whoops!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Harry's razors sent me a refund before the box even shipped because I said I was going to shame my head with them. They still sent the box, but said they were not for head shaving.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Terror Sweat posted:

no more sweaty balls, ba dum dum.

completely unrelated but meundies are now the only underwear I own 👀

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

piratepilates posted:

I always wondered if they were named after that guy in The Room who talks about "me underwears."

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

piratepilates posted:

no more sweaty balls, ba dum dum.

Me too. Meundies 4 life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I can't remember where I said this before, but years ago (I think over 5 now) I wanted to get my mom a birthday gift when I wouldn't be able to see her in person. This was when every podcast was shilling Sherry's Berries. So I get her some chocolate-covered strawberries and some other things, use a pro code. When she gets them, she asks how much this was and I tell her. She then sends me a link to another store that sells the same stuff, but gives you more and costs less, even with the promo code.

Besides Stitcher free months that's the only time I've bought something from a podcast ad.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Glad that HH went to Patreon. Good to be getting back into the Flagrant Ones. It's even worth going back to ones I missed.

On a side note....not an Earwolf pod....but does anyone listen to Mission To Zyxx? Can't recommend it enough. Very much in the vein of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I really like Mission to Zyxx! I know they've put out a couple one off things over the last few months but have they said when the next season is supposed to start?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I really like Mission to Zyxx! I know they've put out a couple one off things over the last few months but have they said when the next season is supposed to start?

Not that I know of. I've actually been catching up on the last season because I had fallen way behind. Always really impressed with how funny and well done that show is.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the music on the flagrant ones is getting too good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

the music on the flagrant ones is getting too good

lol i loved the ending where they're all like "why does this guy listen to our show"

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
why is conan shilling long john silvers

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/LilyYily/status/1361771920442621953

goongrats to lily and tim also going deep is very good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i got to the part in the Reality Show Show where the boys' excuse for not putting out an episode for the past month was that they were George Zimmerman jurors and then go on for like 15 minutes in-character as the dumbest pieces of poo poo you can imagine

i feel like this is the point you can really see the genesis of Hollywood Handbook

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That's definitely when the "characters" of Sean and Hayes really start to emerge. I believe they start doing the "Wrapping up a story as they get played in" bit around then too, starting as just making idiotic small talk over the theme before becoming full-blown namedropping bull sessions by the finale.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/manicfailman/status/1361761263139889155

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HDTGM just did a special episode where Paul and June had a straight interview with Leha Remini and an ex-Scientology enforcer. It was pretty interesting, but also kind of tonally weird to have on the HDTGM feed.

I definitely got the impression that June wishes she could just have a podcast doing those sorts of things. Though I did find this one a lot more compelling than when she talks about the Jane Club or her book on how to win elections, which I still find really funny that she not only wrote but got Hilary Clinton to endorse.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I hate to say it:

We're two months into 2021, and I just don't think the Closing of the Plug Bag theme can be salvaged. There's just no way to make it cohesive, despite some valiant attempts. They are just too out of sync.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

eke out posted:

i got to the part in the Reality Show Show where the boys' excuse for not putting out an episode for the past month was that they were George Zimmerman jurors and then go on for like 15 minutes in-character as the dumbest pieces of poo poo you can imagine

i feel like this is the point you can really see the genesis of Hollywood Handbook

What episode is this. I'd love to relisten to it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

What episode is this. I'd love to relisten to it.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/surprise-surprise/

im almost to the end and got to the one where Sean and Hayes spend the whole first segment talking about being tricked into auditioning for SNL and having to repeatedly refuse the jobs Lorne desperately wants to give them and feel like it has now fully grown into being hollywood handbook

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I hate to say it:

We're two months into 2021, and I just don't think the Closing of the Plug Bag theme can be salvaged. There's just no way to make it cohesive, despite some valiant attempts. They are just too out of sync.

I think that's at the top of my list of bits I wish Scott would drop at this point, though the month names are probably second.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Honk honk

Truck's birthday

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know the HH where someone maybe says something about someone's makeup looking like a clown and then Hayes says "actually to me, all makeup is for clowns"???

e: it was the patton oswalt episode

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 26, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have nowhere else to complain about this, so I apologize for some CineD leaking into RGD: I really enjoy With Gourley and Rust and find the podcast really sweet and fun and relaxing, but their Prometheus take is monumentally bad. It's obviously a very divisive movie and I can't fault them for not really digging it, but they take the most bland surface-level look at the movie and just nitpick it to death. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing, it was like reading Reddit talk about a movie.

At least in the Covenant episode they start off by apologizing and saying they feel guilty about it, but still :colbert:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Prometheus sucks, but is somehow better than covenant. Raised by Wolves is where it's at

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The craziest thing about it is that they both seem to like Covenant a lot more than Prometheus. That is not a common take.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

feedmyleg posted:

I have nowhere else to complain about this, so I apologize for some CineD leaking into RGD: I really enjoy With Gourley and Rust and find the podcast really sweet and fun and relaxing, but their Prometheus take is monumentally bad. It's obviously a very divisive movie and I can't fault them for not really digging it, but they take the most bland surface-level look at the movie and just nitpick it to death. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing, it was like reading Reddit talk about a movie.

At least in the Covenant episode they start off by apologizing and saying they feel guilty about it, but still :colbert:

what was the crux of their takes on prometheus?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The same old same old—"These characters are unlikable", "This is all too vague", "Why would the Engineers want to do this?", etc. Nitpicking the surface level stuff so much that they never got beneath it.

Also, on a totally different note, does anyone remember any specific HH episode where Sean goes into mocking detail about how much he loves the crystals on weed?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The same old same old—"These characters are unlikable", "This is all too vague", "Why would the Engineers want to do this?", etc. Nitpicking the surface level stuff so much that they never got beneath it.

Also, on a totally different note, does anyone remember any specific HH episode where Sean goes into mocking detail about how much he loves the crystals on weed?

I agree with them in that I dislike the stinger ending and I agree that some of the characters feel pretty broadly drawn but I disagreed with everything else they said. It all fits neatly with my theory that the people who got excited to see Prometheus and assumed it was going to be a xenonorph origin story were frustrated and the people who went to it relatively blind liked it ok. They seem to understand that on some level but kept circling back to trying to figure out how it didn’t make sense as an alien origin story. They were obviously also bouncing off the nihilism of the story a bit. The only part that really annoyed me was them thinking that it was ripping off AVP because they’re both clearly ripping off At the Mountains of Madness -and at least Prometheus didn’t do the idiotic ancient aliens pyramid thing.

feedmyleg posted:

The craziest thing about it is that they both seem to like Covenant a lot more than Prometheus. That is not a common take.

I’ve seen this opinion a lot actually. Nerds just wanted another episode of the Alien show, Covenant blandly gave it to them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think its unfair that Sean and Hayes were planning on getting Andy and Kevin a PS5 and not me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Reality show show is so fun, the boys are figuring out their personas but they are super assholes from the jump.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the first moment i remember it totally clicking is where they cut together a big montage of how top chef judges were super racist to sheldon (make any kind of asian food and it's "playing it safe," make european food and it's "not him" even when it's good) and both of them get legitimately mad

i just finished listening to them all, it was worth it

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think my favorite RSS moment is the Top Chef recap where they play a clip of Padma slurring her words repeatedly before Sean finally says something like "Now, listen again, while keeping in mind that Padma was............completely loving plastered"

Runner up, when they compare Trevin Hunt's performance on The Voice with his opponent's, and for the opponent they just keep playing "Scotty Doesn't Know" from Eurotrip until the last instance when they play a clip of somebody's absolute dogshit karaoke performance of "I'm Yours"