Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

another all timer from Carl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

Bring back Shelby Fero

I’m listening to her first appearance (I assume since stitcher insists the episode is called “button”) and goddamn do I miss gmail roulette. I wish they’d actually bring back some other segments apart from teaser freezer. Maybe they just ran out of emails.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Besser finally got a treat for a centennial episode

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That rules.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Half the cake was a different consistency than the rest; it was just, like, mashed up Twinkies."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was a solid episode and a good idea, but man that whole cake bit goes on about 3x longer than it should at the end of the episode.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Got a timestamp for the cake bit for those of us that let improv4humons fall out of the regular rotation?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Got a timestamp for the cake bit for those of us that let improv4humons fall out of the regular rotation?

Around 1:18:50 and then, yeah, it goes on for 30 minutes when it could've been done in 15

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

JethroMcB posted:

Around 1:18:50 and then, yeah, it goes on for 30 minutes when it could've been done in 15

Thanks! (And having now listened to it, you're correct.)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Speaking of Besser, someone should mime guillotining him

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/upright-citizens-brigade-theater-finances-closing.html

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Is it really that much of a dealbreaker to charge more for tickets? Do they serve alcohol at these things? Pay your goddamn staff

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Terror Sweat posted:

Is it really that much of a dealbreaker to charge more for tickets? Do they serve alcohol at these things? Pay your goddamn staff

It might be, I mean you are going out to watch amateur improv. I don't know how much the average ticket is, but I doubt people would be willing to pay a lot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The government should subsidise long-form improv.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

UCB has always operated in the red so there's not a lot of wiggleroom, and looking at what happened with NYC attendance when they increased prices, it probably would be a dealbreaker, yes—though they also moved to a mediocre venue in the middle of loving nowhere so that didn't help either.

But yeah, part of the appeal has always been that broke 22 year olds could go to lots of shows, so $5/ free shows are fairly built into the culture. Is it better for the theater to exist and somewhat exploit performers and volunteers while fostering a comedy community, or to not exist and leave everyone to self-organize shows in lovely bars with almost no audience and support?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

celebritynetworth.com posted:

Amy Poehler Net Worth $25 Million

talk about pulling the ladder up behind you

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It is genuinely very funny that there's a brutal and cruel industry of exploitation, not to build railroads or whatever, but for this:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1142862274731769856

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How Did This Get Played has launched covering Sonic '06 right out of the gate

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JethroMcB posted:

How Did This Get Played has launched covering Sonic '06 right out of the gate

That is a very good choice for episode 1.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Hell yes

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The LA theaters don’t have liquor licenses. It’s low key byob.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The major improv theaters in the metro Detroit area are either nonprofits and/or pay their house performers for weekend shows (not a lot, but at least enough for gas money).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean I think there's a valid argument to be made for UCB not being a viable and ethical enough business to remain in operation.

In order to survive and thrive UCB really just needs to copy the time-tested Second City model of having a robust theater school and create classes in things beyond improv and sketch. At SC you can actually go into directing and producing classes and gain valuable industry skills, so it doesn't feel like you hit a dead-end after you take 401 and a handful of advanced study classes. It keeps people in the system longer, grows the community in an organic way, and allows for a lot more diversity of output—I love going to see improv, but I never need to see another straight Harold again and that's all the training center is churning out these days.

In the end, I can't see them surviving all that much longer anyway. They're just ridiculously top-heavy with talent that has nobody to perform for because they cater to a super niche audience. People other than comedy nerds actually go to Second City shows, even if their touring shows aren't exactly high-art.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I got so excited when I saw the advertisement for Wiger's new gaming podcast show up in The Boys' feed, and it did not disappoint

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like How Did This Get Played, and will probably become a regular listener.

My only complaint is that this is a pretty standard format for video game shows. I was hoping with Heather Anne Campbell's background in videogame journalism and Wiger's research he does for Doughboys would make them cover more of why, developmentally, the games are terrible or weird, in addition to describing the gameplay. Maybe they'll do that more with future episodes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't know if I'll check it out, it seems very loud.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I was hoping with Heather Anne Campbell's background in videogame journalism and Wiger's research he does for Doughboys would make them cover more of why, developmentally, the games are terrible or weird, in addition to describing the gameplay. Maybe they'll do that more with future episodes.

Saved me a listen.

e: I don't need this sort of thing to be Hardcore History, but I can't stand a podcast that's basically a reaction video like HDTGM. Put in a modicum of effort outside of showing up; these terrible things are fascinating trainwrecks and I want to know why.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 24, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Saved me a listen.

e: I don't need this sort of thing to be Hardcore History, but I can't stand a podcast that's basically a reaction video like HDTGM. Put in a modicum of effort outside of showing up; these terrible things are fascinating trainwrecks and I want to know why.

If you'd like a suggestion for a video game podcast that's 65% more of why the game/system sucked and 45% actual gameplay discussion, you can check out Retronauts. You may already know about it, but it's new to me.

That said, I think that Wiger and Campbell have good chemistry, and the show is legit funny. They do spend around 5 minutes discussing context for Sonic '06 and what Sega was intending to do with it, and how they were forced to release it because it was Sonic's 15th anniversary and also the '06 holiday season. But then they move on pretty quick.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'm going to listen to every episode until they dive deep on Wiger's time working on the Sopranos game.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

If you'd like a suggestion for a video game podcast that's 65% more of why the game/system sucked and 45% actual gameplay discussion, you can check out Retronauts. You may already know about it, but it's new to me.

Sounds like that podcast is giving 110%

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Also playing a game is a much bigger time commitment than watching a movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Sounds like that podcast is giving 110%

Got me dead to rights, fam.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The title is very bad but I'll listen when Sean's episode comes out and go from there

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Help Im Alive posted:

The title is very bad but I'll listen when Sean's episode comes out and go from there

:yeah:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What is Seth simons going to do when UCB closes forever

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

In non-Earwolf news, Demi announced he's leaving Punch Up the Jam. It slipped on a Flagrant Ones stream that both Sean and Hayes had both recorded episodes and that they were banking a bunch for some reason, and I guess this is why! They did say what their jams were, Sean's ep will be "Shallow" and Hayes' ep will be "You Get What You Give".

https://twitter.com/punchupthejam/status/1143708830250876928

A different livestream the other night (not the Flagrant Ones) inadvertently leaked that Jesse Farrar recorded an episode of Hollywood Handbook, but he seemed non-committal on whether it would ever be released?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He's not a big enough star for that tyrant Chef Kevin.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
That’s disappointing, but I’m looking forward to whatever he does next. He’s way too talented for his own good.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What is Seth simons going to do when UCB closes forever

He’ll go back to his home planet.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yelling "bateaser freezer" as kevin repeats "batis..." to himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Tom and Kevin 2 on this week's Pro Version was great. It's always weird/fun to hear Scharpling gleefully working blue, and he's got a surprisingly good chemistry with Kevin.