Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Man I love it when the guests go antagonistic. Banger of an ep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wow. The Peps.

Wow. I... Dunno about this one.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

We could just finally be getting the Peppermen podcast.

i still play this song for people and can sometimes convince them it’s a real rhcp

http://rhcp2014.com/

Edit: lol it’s really the peps. I’m on board, if only for the inevitable Jon Daly ep

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Get Sean Clements on and he can retell his story of watching some rhcp fans assault someone.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh man I hope Scott and Scott will do a band that doesn't completely suck this time

Shot loving fired, what the hell

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

JethroMcB posted:

Wow. The Peps.

Wow. I... Dunno about this one.

I was into them in high school over a decade ago so at least I'll get why they like some of it. They're an easy band to make fun of even if you like them so that could work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EL BROMANCE posted:

Presuming they're in the image, my gut feeling tells me it'll be the Chili Peppers. Tough name scheme to implement, mind.

My theory behind this grounbreaking prediction? "What would be the most 2020 result". And here we are.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm listening to the first ep and I must say -- early RHCP sounds like a parody lmao.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Seaniqua posted:

I'd like an entire season of Staind Glass

A full season of the spinoff game show, "Is this U2?"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oh man I hope Scott and Scott will do a band that doesn't completely suck this time

Besides "R.E.M." completely sucks" being a WILD take... isn't the podcast more fun when the band sucks? I actually like U2 but they've done so much goofy poo poo over the years. Same with RHCP; so much good music IMO but lots to make fun of.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

WerthersWay posted:

Besides "R.E.M." completely sucks" being a WILD take... isn't the podcast more fun when the band sucks? I actually like U2 but they've done so much goofy poo poo over the years. Same with RHCP; so much good music IMO but lots to make fun of.

Yeah exactly, plus it's not like they've ever acted like everything that U2 or REM has done is great. They've been super critical at times and I'd honestly expect that to ramp up with the peppermen show

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ArtVandelay posted:

R U Fightin Foo With U?

Why R Foo Fighting With Me?

I'd love them to do Foo Fighters. Smashing Pumpkins would be an AWESOME choice as well. Large catalogue for them to explore there. RATM would be cool, as I love everything that they've done.....but I'm not sure there's enough.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

WerthersWay posted:

It's not fun to listen to people go into great detail lovingly discussing music that is bad imo.

I skipped most of the U2 show and all of the REM show because I didn't like the music, and I'll most likely skip the RHCP show. I like Scott Aukerman as a person, sure, but I can't handle his music taste.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's not fun to listen to people go into great detail lovingly discussing music that is bad imo.

That’s like the last 25 minutes of each 2 hour episode

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Casey Finnigan posted:

I skipped most of the U2 show and all of the REM show because I didn't like the music, and I'll most likely skip the RHCP show. I like Scott Aukerman as a person, sure, but I can't handle his music taste.

ok

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Casey Finnigan posted:

You're doing yourself a disservice! I have no interest in U2 or REM so I also find the earnest music discussion to be mostly boring (which also describes the music itself, heyo) but the rest of the show is so good it's 100% worth sitting or skipping through

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah Scott and Scott aren't on their third show because they have some special insight into these bands.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
That's fine, I like listening to Scott's podcasts so I'll just listen to different ones. :shrug:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'll throw out one more recommendation to at least give it a shot. They usually don't switch over to actually discussing the music until about the halfway point of an episode, and it's very easy to tell when they're moving in that direction and it can be cut off then. The first part of each episode is full of bits and stories that are absolutely worth listening to and very rarely involve the bands.

If nothing else, the two Staind Glass episodes are absolutely required listening for anybody even remotely interested in comedy podcasts. Here's hoping #3 is on the docket!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I like them and don’t want to get mad about their dumb opinions.

Where's the fun in that?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not just that I don't like the bands in question, it's that I don't care about them. Hearing these guys go on and on about them, whether it's praise or bits or criticism or mocking, is not interesting to me. It's the same reason I can't get into The Flagrant Ones—I know there's plenty of fun stuff that has nothing to do with basketball in there, and I know I'm missing out on a lot of funny bits, but it's all framed in a way that just doesn't do anything for me because I know nothing about basketball and don't care to. I couldn't get into Reality Show Show, either, because I lack both the interest in and context for reality shows. I need something to be more than just funny to connect with it. Subject matter is an essential part of podcasts for me.

e: I know I'm the one missing out here, but I need more of a hook than just "some funny people I like talking." And that's why Threedom is out for me, too. Not everything's going to click with everyone.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 2, 2020

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
one cool option is to listen to something else

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, and that's what I do. It's just irritating that people in this thread seem to be talking down to people who don't want to listen to a podcast for their own reasons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They should do a podcast about Sparks. Sparks would love to have a podcast about themselves.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mr. Squishy posted:

They should do a podcast about Sparks. Sparks would love to have a podcast about themselves.

I would also love for them to do this. And for Sparks to have that.

And plus they can have Edgar Wright back on to talk about his Sparks documentary (if he ever finishes it)!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yep, and that's what I do. It's just irritating that people in this thread seem to be talking down to people who don't want to listen to a podcast for their own reasons.

I'm with ya, buddy. I listen to every aukerman podcast but not these. I honestly tried, but I ended up getting so bored every time I attempted to listen. But I loved Analyze Phish, not because I like Phish and not because the format was slightly different. I think the reason must be that I, for whatever reason, don't find Adam Scott funny or interesting. Yes I do enjoy Farts and Procreation but I think again it's mostly Harris and Chelsea driving that. He seems like a nice guy and I really liked Party Down, I really don't know what it is about him that I don't enjoy.

Anyway, you aren't alone! Solidarity!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I know (knew) very little about U2 and REM and I never finished the REM podcast but for the most part they are fun listens. The appeal for me was hearing them get excited about their favorite albums/bands and be huge nerds about them the way I am about my favorite albums/bands. Like everything else Scott has done for long enough they sometimes get mired in bits which were very funny the first 50 times, but it's still a fun listen most of the time. It's always OK not to listen to a podcast for any reason, but if you're a big fan of Scott you will probably like it.

Anyway, nothing will ever top Analyze Phish.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I really liked the U2 podcast because even though they were huge fans, they weren't afraid to call out the band on all the stupid poo poo they did, which made for some very interesting discussions. I gave the REM podcast a listen, but it was clear from the first few episodes that Adam Scott couldn't really critique the band much since he was such a huge fan. That made the entire podcast sounds much more fawning.

This is speaking as someone who didn't give a poo poo about U2 or REM (although I kinda developed an appreciation for U2 at the end of it).

Hopefully RHCP will be more like the former, which it is already sounding like it is.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I will tap out on their podcast if (when?) they do Billy Joel

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do they still do those "is this an episode of i love films?" bits every 5 minutes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Senator Giroux posted:

I will tap out on their podcast if (when?) they do Billy Joel

I will tap in, my veins

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drainpipe posted:

I really liked the U2 podcast because even though they were huge fans, they weren't afraid to call out the band on all the stupid poo poo they did, which made for some very interesting discussions. I gave the REM podcast a listen, but it was clear from the first few episodes that Adam Scott couldn't really critique the band much since he was such a huge fan. That made the entire podcast sounds much more fawning.

I'd say the second half of the REM series is Aukerman getting fatigued and pissed at Adam Scott's inability to critique the band, to the point where they get into full-on argument(s) about how 1) Aukerman resequences the tracks on half of their discography to improve the albums and 2) how Adam Scott considers resequencing some of the albums heresy and insulting. There was one episode that Aukerman just gives up, and you can tell that there is unspoken animosity in the room. It's great.

I think the unspoken attraction to the REM podcast and U2 podcast that no one's really brought up, is how they use the albums to springboard into oral histories of pop-culture. You get a sprawling personal history of Aukerman and Scott's growing up and becoming adults and entering the entertainment business, which they relate through music, albums, concerts, music videos, and what it was like being a fan of a band in the 80's, 90's and 00's. Both series had guests (and Aukerman) loving a band and then having a falling out with a band, and kinda tracing how a music fan can feel betrayed by a band's success and fame. You also get to see the changing landscape of music history from the perspective of a fan of a specific band (which is especially interesting with U2 and REM since, even ignoring and individual's opinion on the quality of music, the identities of the band, its members, and their sound evolved so drastically over three decades) and eventually the perspectives from people who worked with the bands and then the bands themselves! So even though the crux of the show is to listen to an album track by track, the majority of the show is a weird insight about how personal histories can be defined (and remembered) through pop culture by it's creators and participants.

Not that this is to shame or pressure anyone into listening to a podcast they don't care about, but to share that there's more happening in the show than just the Scotts listening to REM and saying "This is good rock n roll, uh...music."

I can say that I now have two or three U2 albums I genuinely like, and I can now say I'm a legit REM fan, where before I only liked two albums and some singles. I don't care much about RHCP, but for the above reasons, I'd probably listen to whatever silly band the Scotts picked.

Help Im Alive posted:

Do they still do those "is this an episode of i love films?" bits every 5 minutes

Oh hell yeah they do. Too bad Talkin' 'bout Turtle got cancelled, though.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Franchescanado posted:

There was one episode that Aukerman just gives up, and you can tell that there is unspoken animosity in the room. It's great.

lol that sounds awesome. Do you remember which episode it was?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drainpipe posted:

lol that sounds awesome. Do you remember which episode it was?

It's been a while, but if I had to guess, it's probably "Up", "Reveal", "Around the Sun" or "Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage". Aukerman's not really a fan of REM past 2000, so pretty much any episode with an album from that era ends with him getting mad at Adam Scott, who has to defend his favorite band no matter what.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Franchescanado posted:

Aukerman's not really a fan of REM past 2000, so pretty much any episode with an album from that era ends with him getting mad at Adam Scott, who has to defend his favorite band no matter what.

Aukerman was pretty critical of the band throughout; I'm specifically remembering him dragging a few tracks off of "Green" while Lance Bangs was there talking about working with the band in that era and how Michael Stipe provided him with a lot of opportunities. Meanwhile:

(I didn't listen to the last few R.E.M. eps because they kept getting people associated with the band in studio, to talk at length about the band, and what the podcast taught me was that I do not like the music of R.E.M.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Aukerman was pretty critical of the band throughout; I'm specifically remembering him dragging a few tracks off of "Green" while Lance Bangs was there talking about working with the band in that era and how Michael Stipe provided him with a lot of opportunities. Meanwhile:

(I didn't listen to the last few R.E.M. eps because they kept getting people associated with the band in studio, to talk at length about the band, and what the podcast taught me was that I do not like the music of R.E.M.)

Yeah, I think Aukerman's criticism is what keeps the show grounded and listenable.

Oh man, the other funny thing that happened in one of the last REM episodes was the saga of the Scotts getting an REM cover band to play for them at a live show, only to surprise the cover band with Peter Buck, the actual REM guitarist, to come out and play with them.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

There's tons of podcasts i don't listen to and i take the radical approach of just not talking about them

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
someone absolutely must know that I don't care for The Neighborhood Listen

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Seaniqua posted:

someone absolutely must know that I don't care for The Neighborhood Listen

gently caress you this is war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The fun thing about RHCP is that there's going to have to be another 3 episodes talking about the early 13 track albums where every song sounds like they threw it together in the back of the tour bus before we get to Blood Sugar Sex Magik, where Rick Rubin finally told them how to make music that isn't terrible.

Also I have serious doubts that Adam Scott is going to read all those books about the band and also provide decent and timely commentary using what he's learned.