Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I really don't mind them breaking in Improv4Humans because it's normally something that's worth it, and that I'm already losing my poo poo over. The entire episdoe last week was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I feel I4H is at its best when Matt's angry about something, and everyone else rags on him for it.

e: I also like when someone misspeaks or uses an incorrect turn of phrase, and someone immediately jumps on it. I wish I could remember what it was in last week's show, but it kills me every time it happens.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

abraham linksys posted:

Man, I binged on some How Did This Get Made episodes that I was behind on, and I loving love that podcast. I wish that it was more than every other week (not counting the mini-episodes) :allears:

Oh, I hope you used Google to do that Binging. They're our sponsor, you know.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
That's quite a story. It's pretty interesting how quickly something like that can fall apart.

I can't say I felt "betrayed" in any way. I figure that ads will inevitably be a part of any weekly podcast somewhere down the line, and that pre-recorded ones will show up every now and then. It was just such a dramatic shift in quality and loudness that it was annoying. I'll admit to laughing the first time I heard it, and I firgured it would be either a rotation of several ads, or a shortened version every time after, but whatever. They're still some fantastic shows, and I won't stop listening over one dumb ad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Well that's just about the best list of people I've ever seen. That's fantastic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

jeffullrich posted:

I forgot Zach Galifianakis.

Yesssss. Even better.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

RandolphCarter posted:

Holy poo poo I4H is amazing this week.

Everyone should liste to it just for Ian Roberts' Kat Williams impression. Holy poo poo did I lose it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

scary ghost dog posted:

I really enjoyed Harris Wittels saying, "What's up... I'm Harris."

For some reason, Nick Kroll looks exactly like I imagined he would, but Harris looks nothing like I imagined and it's hard to hear his voice coiming out of his mouth.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

plastered quack posted:

It's Rodney to you. :colbert:

E: those of you who watch the Kroll Show, Fabrice Fabrice is debuting tonight.

Yessss. Every week is just turning into me getting excited for a character now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'd also like to point out many plastic surgeons have perfectly happy families and go to school for years to study their specialty. Get your facts straight, Kroll!

Cases like Dr. Armond's are a lot more prevalent among dog plastic surgeons, but they're not as well documented.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think we got spoiled by CBB doing two shows a week, with one being live.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I have a dream that one day, there will be an I4H episode with Poehler, Roberts and Walsh. I would absolutely love to see how that episode goes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Worst Case Ontario posted:

Just like Bestiality.

What if I put my hands up, close my eyes, and say a racist thing to nobody in particular?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Hmm, I thought the Pokemon person sounded awesome and Besser and Meadows were just being old dudes. I may be on the wrong side of this, but I'll let history decide.

I'm not against Pokémon or anything, but why is it awesome to suggest it as something to build an improv scene off of to 4 guys in their mid-to-late 40s? What person in that age range is going to have a good Pokémon story?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
When does the the release of the most recent Earwolf video podcast typically happen? I wanna watch the last I4H, but it's not up yet. I'm settling for listening for now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Besson posted:

Andy Daly's podcast is something special and we will cherish it for years to come. What a magical time.

Hail Satan.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Did Improv4Humans ever do a Crap on Youtube segment on a "What is hentai?" video? I remember this happening for some reason, and my sister just stumbled upon the video they used, and I want to send her the episode with that skit, but I can't remember which it would be.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Thank you very much. I thought it might be a VPN one, but this is one of the ones with no skit menu. Thanks again.

e: I think I might have been confusing this with something else in my memory. I don't remember this skit being about albinos at all. Hmm.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 26, 2014

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What? I'm a bit behind on improv 4 humans. I know trumpet guy but nothing else about this post makes sense to me.

It's a thing that actually happened in this week's I4H. Besser actually got Trumpet Guy to give Eric the Intern life advice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm only just now getting around to listening to YTU2TM after those recent animations, and wow did I completely misjudge this show from the beginning. I listened to the first episode awhile back, and it was way too U2 for me, but everything since then has been great. I just want PFT in the background of all of them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Eltoasto posted:

It's pretty hardcore about U2, they even know the names of the band members.

I hadn't heard of this U2 band before this podcast, but by the end of the first episode, I had. Bo No, Thedge, Larry Clayton Jr., Adam Mullen. Those are the members.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
What episode of Improv 4 Humans was it where there was a skit about driving to a guy's house to give him the finger? I could've sworn it was the 420 eipsode, but I just listened to it, and it wasn't in there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

mr.capps posted:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/their-name-is-korn/
One of my favorites. Proves musical episodes can be as good as the rest.

thefncrow posted:

It was a musical episode, but I don't remember which one. Look for a music episode with Huskey and Gemberling. Taking a quick look over the list, I'd guess it's #126.

Thank you very much.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

mr.capps posted:

Listen to this episode of I4H if you want to hear old people ask and discuss what shipping is.

But they also later talk to the Trumpet Guy, so anything nice about this episode is invalidated.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I feel like Gemberling just takes any chance he can get to talk about bestiality.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I get enough enjoyment out of the absolute mess that it almost inevitably turns into, because you can hear people struggling to move their view of the scene into whatever was just established. Times when an idea PFT has gets immediately subverted by someone else are some of the best times on the show. It's weird, but usually at least fun.

One thing I haven't been able to get into lately is I4H. I don't know what it is, but I seriously just can't even give it the time of day lately. I think the formula may have run its course for me. I guess the difference between PFT's absolute joy of doing improv vs Besser's grudging no-fun-zone is finally getting to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Being very talented doesn't preclude you from being a stifling dick. I basically feel he'd be better if he weren't in charge.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GobiasIndustries posted:

gently caress the Howl app. I'll keep the subscription for a bit because some of the originals have been good but I don't know why they decided reinventing the wheel was a good idea. Netflix was also a vendor-neutral distribution company that got into creating its own content, not the other way around; comparing themselves to Netflix as they did in the beginning was a poor comparison. It's not a surprise that many guests and hosts are making GBS threads on the idea and mocking it either during the shows or in the ads.

The amount of audible disdain the hosts have for it, even when they're not actively making GBS threads on it, is just about my favorite thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

soggybagel posted:

I liked how when he promoted it he was practically ashamed.

I also remember everyone else (was it on I4H?) just being absolutely baffled at the concept. It was pretty great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tarranon posted:

I think spont had a rough spot that I was afraid they'd never get out of but these days it's averaging at pretty good

a lot of the interview segments are super cringe tho. unless you always wanted to hear what LA comedians really think about GMO and whether social media is really bringing us closer together, or if it's just like a screen that, like is really keeping us separated

wsg is okay. it's never obnoxious so I'll put it in if I just want some affable background noise I can tune in and it of

A lot of the quality of the show depends on what kind of story the special guest tells, so getting someone talking about their ideas on conspiracy theories doesn't lead to much. But sometimes you get someone who's super-willing to make fun of themselves, like Jason Ritter, or someone who's just a delight to have on and hear speak, like Kristen Schaal. It definitely helps if the person is someone PFT refers to as a friend, because the conversation tends to be a lot looser, and thus funnier.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird how podcast ad breaks are longer than the ones on TV now

I think I would actually die without the ability to fast forward

I don't mind listening to an ad that's a minute, maybe a minute and a half. But there have been times on CBB and SPONT that feel like they're over, like, 5 minutes. There's no way I'm sitting through all of that poo poo to hear about mattresses and poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

wafflesnsegways posted:

I almost never enjoy "funny" podcast ads. It makes you raise up your listener defenses, and they almost never give you what you listen to the podcast for.

Exception: the Hollywood Handbook ads that are dripping with contempt for the sponsor. Those are exactly what I listen to the podcast for.

I feel like ads are always better with multiple people. Scott or PFT just extolling the virtues of a thing doesn't do much, regardless of how funny either of them might be. But in a show like HH, having the two people to work off of each other adds something to it. It's especially fun when the sponsor lets them add a lot to the copy. My Brother, My Brother, and Me is really good at this as well.

The only one-man ads I've ever liked were Bill Burr's and Norm MacDonald's.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Drunkboxer posted:

They send RAZORS to your HOUSE

"You're father's alive, isn't he?"
"No."
"gently caress."

e: You know what, though? I just realized Norm's are only barely one man. He just does them himself in a way to get his guest and Adam to laugh, and maybe participate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

JethroMcB posted:

"I like having people come in and give me free, private acoustic performances"

Do guests not get paid for their appearances? Or do you just mean free from Besser's point of view?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ElCondemn posted:

What is WSP?

With Special.... Pest?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of misleading. There was originally supposed to be this paywall where episodes older than six months would only be available on Howl. It was these old archived episodes behind the paywall that were supposed to be ad free, not the new ones

With the way they presented it I thought Howl basically = no ads but no (and since they never actually put up the paywall, I dunno if they ever bothered to edit out ads from old episodes either)

So what the gently caress is the point of Howl at this point?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

thexerox123 posted:

There are some Howl-exclusive shows.

I there anything on there worth listening to besides the Superego one? Even that doesn't seem to have updated since December.

e: And it's probably even more in question moving forward with Superego itself ending and all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This week's episode finally confirmed it, but my favorite thing in Spontaneanation is when Eban plays music that throws PFT off his game. Having him stop mid-sentence to tell him to stop playing a spooky version of the theme killed me, and the other times its happened were basically just as funny to me. The time that the Three Stooges theme made him incredibly upset is still one of the top moments of the whole run so far. I love it and I don't know why.

2nd to that is PFT getting thrown off his game in basically any other way. Someone saying something unexpected, someone making an eye-rolling joke, stuff like that. Him making himself upset at the prospect of a million episodes was good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ElCondemn posted:

I was going back and forth with their support over the lag and stuttering I get only from their website (netflix, hulu and every other streaming service had no issues). They just stopped communicating with me and didn't even offer a refund since their stupid site doesn't work. I wish comedians would learn to quit partnering with people/companies that don't know how to make poo poo.

I'm glad I read a post like this before subscribing. I can't believe how bad these proprietary comedy things keep ending up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I actually kinda want to listen to this one in particular, because my favorite Besser rants are one where nobody else in on board.