Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Go Earwolf! Agreed on Gelmania, it's got great content but the effects and mixing take it to another level.

Also, does anyone think Sklarbro Country should be in the OP (since its thread has slowed down)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hello Jeff, thanks for getting all this amazing comedy to us and keeping it free (however that has to happen)!

I've been digging Startup School, and if you want to talk to Something Awful Goons about entrepreneurship then check out our thread in the "Business, Finance, and Careers" subforum:
"Hey guys, let's found a startup thread!" by snagger
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438506

Would also like to throw in a vote for more Bob Ducca and Mike Detective, but patience is probably the name of the game there.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This Chainsawsuit comic is a nice companion to the current I4H:

The interview guy seemed to be acting out of a need for safety (personal and that of his community), and it was great that Matt & co addressed how gun proliferation doesn't lead to that outcome.

And that was probably the funniest episode too.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Hey, you know, D&D and TFR both have threads where people are happy and willing to talk about guns, so maybe give them a look and keep this thread for discussion about what the episode. I'm interested in reading about the podcasts and comedians, not reading :smug: off-the-cuff gun control editorials (from either side of the debate, to be clear).

If you want interesting & relevant Earwolf-related comedy discussion then read this:
http://nymag.com/arts/comics/features/upright-citizens-brigade-2011-10/#print

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

little munchkin posted:

Brett Gelman posted:

brilliant conceptual comedy
The best part is fans of Gelmania would probably have guessed it was him anyway.

Also, this quote is pretty crazy considering how tight the comedy profession can be:

New York magazine posted:

In 2005, the UCB opened a theater in West Hollywood that quickly became populated by UCB alumni who had gone to L.A. for work on such shows as Community, Parks and Recreation, and Childrens Hospital. The New York hub has grown to include two theaters, a training center, five touring troupes, and eight Harold teams. About 8,000 students are taking classes this year [2011], on both coasts. On any given night, you can find a group flailing around the 26th Street basement, exposing their strangest comedic impulses (or worse).
UCB already casts a huge shadow on modern comedy, imagine what the landscape's going to look like ten years from now!
(I'm imagining it'll be even funnier BTW)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

How are u posted:

There's a lowtax v uwe boll fight reference at the beginng of this weeks how did this get made, that was goofy.

It would've been fun if someone at Earwolf recognized Rich or Something Awful.

I could see Pete Holmes reading E/N for hours at a time though, mumbling "laser accuracy" at every other response.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Where are people hearing that I4H is in danger?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, by have you guys seen Inside the Master Class?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GVe391EFxA

It's a self-parody of a "high-level" UCB class, featuring Matt Besser, Neil Campbell, Paul Rust and others. It's really hilarious, wish there were more videos.

It's really good, did they improvise the dialogue?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Trainer to non-stars, though

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

About time! He said in an interview that group improv intimidates him but we all know it's going to rock.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Gabrus' bit about Tim Ferriss and drinking urine was genius

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

So is PFT starting an Earwolf podcast or what

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

he was in the best episode ever, There There My Bear Bear. Colton Dunn is also amazing in that one

That episode also has the "Matt Besser loves sound and movement exercises" running gag

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

tnimark posted:

I'm usually very pro background laughter in podcasts, but I kinda wish PFT was alone for the Spont intro ramblings like he was with the Pod F. Tompkast. It was more endearing when it felt like he was only trying to make himself laugh.

Edit: The show is great and I still enjoy the intro a lot. Just a minor quibble.

This is the correct opinion. Why do people hate laugh tracks? It's not because of the laughter. It's the lack of nuance/subltelty/timing in the audience, and PFT's guests have hosed it up twice now.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The Nick Nolte bits were by far the best thing on Spontaneanation so far.

With some beautiful D&D deep cuts

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hardcore Game of Thrones is perfect. Holy poo poo did the host nail Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The voice, the mannerisms, the questionable metaphors, it goes on and on. And now I don't need to read the books! I think it's specific to the Howl app, so keeping multiple episodes downloaded is impossible though.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Hardcore Game of Thrones is absolutely Dan Carlin. [I was watching this classic film, Terminator 2, the other day...] But is it worth it if you already know, generally, what happens in GoT?

I've laughed way more at this podcast than expected. The combination of subtle potshots at Martin's occasional lazy characterizations and worldbuilding are complemented by the absolute nailing of Carlin's weird analogies, references to Kahn/Alexander/Hitler, and vocal ticks.

He covers Westerosi history and all the stuff leading up to the series, and then begins going through the book version of the story. So it seems like a great compliment to the show.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The 2015 Outside Lands episode on the Howl app is great, especially their contempt for the audience

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

tnimark posted:

Yeah I should definitely check that out.

My favourite Mike Mitchell story that I've heard on another podcast was when he was a working on some show and had to take a poo poo in the office late at night when he thought nobody was there. He was sitting on the toilet and the motion sensor lights went out. He waved his arms and nothing happened. He stood up and waved his arms. Still nothing. He opened the stall door, walked out into the main section of the bathroom waving his hands in the air with his pants around his ankles. That's the moment somebody else walked in and the lights came on.

Doodie Calls! They have stellar episodes with Jon Gabrus, Paul Scheer, Curtis Gwyn, and Anthony Antamanauk.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I just want more Hardcore Game Of Thrones damnit

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Brett did an awesome job with the robot voice quoting A Christmas Carol

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

It was a nice change from Gabrus talking over and cutting off his guests. The show is awesome each week but the other people need more breathing room.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

del was comedy Jesus, besser is comedy mohammed

100 years from now the UCB 4 will be comedy prophets, who delivered interpretations of Del's words to their own apostles, who walked the Earth spreading a new comedy theory, taught from their multi-hundred page bible. And by 100 years I mean now.

And it's great! We're alive when an industry was changed by a grassroots movement.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

When is PFT's "Crying and Driving" going to be released as an uncut iTunes/DVD release? It's been 6 months already.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

It was on the WSGLL feed too, with the second epi on the Earwolf Presents to boot.
I almost didn't listen to the Tompkins/Gabrus thing because I was afraid the real Webber was going to show up.

What's the PFT/Gabrus thing?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ashpanash posted:

He's Del Close's closest protege, for better or for worse.

His voice is gradually shifting towards Del too

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Any improv fans in NYC for the Del Close marathon this weekend?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Yeah the app is super useful (outside of occasional crashes)
https://appsto.re/us/w-tcG.i

Seems like UCB East is winning again in the "funny shows without bullshit lines or terrible seats" award. The Chelsea wait time is ridiculous for what you get.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I have an extra wristband for the DCM if anyone wants it tomorrow. Send me a PM if you're interested! (it was loose and I took it off before bed then forgot it & had to buy another :P)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

If you're a fan of the books it's actually super helpful and interesting. And the host Alex Berg is super funny and doesn't get nearly enough recognition. If you're in LA, you should definitely go see him in Convoy, which I think is the best improv group at the UCB.

I got to talk to him after a show at the Del Close Marathon, and yeah he's very funny and a nice guy. Super humble about HCGoT and insisted on giving most of the credit to Jason Greene. It took them a huge amount of time to make it and they're not sure about doing more.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Worth every cent of that 150 smackers baby

Somebody didn't buy "The Signal and The Noise" and doesn't listen to "What's the Point" or "FveThirtyEightElections" with Jody Avirgan

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Also, Leesa amd Casper are lifestyle companies. Imagine living in SoMa, Echo Park, Brooklyn, or Manhattan and getting laid in some measurable part due to your mattress brand. This is the reality of their target market.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Echo Park is about the quality of your Tibetan prayer flags.

Hayes and Sean did the Doughboys and man, that's the level of quality I'd expect from people who eat at Red Lobster 4x in a month. They seem insane.

Don't know anything about the Williamsburgs of LA, is Silverlake one of them?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Just found out The Hooray Show has a pseudo I4H episode:
http://pca.st/episode/bb7a46d0-fef4-0133-9c92-59d98c6b72b8

It's interesting to hear their improv with occasional effects and edits, feels a bit more like Superego.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The Doughboys Patreon is up to $3k/month, can't believe they waited this long to monetize. Completely worth $5

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

They could have done it like Crossballs, where you lie about the premise and record a whole season worth before airing anything. But then you get the whole "second season is hosed" issue

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I love raised by TV, but I was an ADHD kid who watched 4-8 hours every weekday and remembered+repeated tons of specific details. If you don’t get a small physical rush hearing them “oh-my-god-do-you-remember” about tangential topics then this podcast will make no sense.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

shes one of the greatest standup comics of all time

now THIS is comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

It's much simpler than that: Mira is the unfunny one.

If someone is being funny, you can bet that it's not Matt Mira. Easy!

Matt Mira is a tedious abrasive unfunny Goon, pathetically ungrateful for his luck in being anointed by Chris Hardwick

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think RBTV essentially suffers from being a side show where nobody is really going to put a huge amount of effort into it beyond pressing Record, which is a shame.

This show is ADHD distilled. Like, the real brain disorder, which Lapkus and Gabrus clearly have. There's a characteristic high-speed-low-depth conversation rhythm that happens when people like this sperg out together, and wouldn't you know it's exactly what this show is for an entire hour holy poo poo I love it yeah I remember that did you see that episode sure but what about "classic quoted line" omg yeah that line but what about "deeper cut quoted line" or that cooler show that was only aired on BBC in 1999 that came before the trilogy which you can watch on youtube but the quality is bad so you should torrent but yeah who torrents nowadays oh yeah I remember torrenting all the time in college and-

That is BEAUTIFUL MUSIC to the ears of ADHD people, who have to constantly suppress energy and listen to boring lovely regular person conversations. Long live RBTV