Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the comments they mentioned it was recorded 14 months ago.
What would cause the wait?

The most impossible scheduling of 6 people ever known to podcasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012
I'm new and screwed up by posting this in a new thread. It's about FOD's first podcast coming out tomorrow...

It's being launched exclusively by The AV Club at 8am CST and we'll put it out at noon CST. Here is the info in advance.

Show Description:

Owen & TJ Read the News

Every month Owen Burke (Funny or Die) and TJ (Adam McKay) read the news and get into the culture of Jacksonville, a.k.a J-Ville. Aight?

Episode 1:

No Homo

Welcome to the first episode of Owen & TJ Read The News! Every month Owen Burke (Funny or Die) and TJ (Adam McKay) read the news and get into the culture of Jacksonville, a.k.a J-Ville. On their first episode they discuss the looming fiscal cliff, Papa John’s raising their prices due to Obamacare, and the Hostess bankruptcy.

I've listened 3 times already and it's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. It won't be for everyone, though. I'm really excited.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lemmi Caution posted:

Why did it not go out over Earwolf Presents?

And welcome to the forums.

We found that our strategy of debuting a new show on EP was hurting the new shows; people weren't as likely to subscribe to the real feed the second week. Now we launch with the show feed first and then put out the first ep after the fact on EP for those who didn't hear about it and like the potluck nature of that feed. Then, if they like it, they can go subscribe immediately to the show feed.

And thanks for the kind welcome, this is a scary place for a new guy.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Whoa! Hi Jeff Ulrich. We like your network.

Thank you! I hope I'm welcome here. I've seen a lot of people commenting and thought I should join and listen to what's being shared here.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

burmart posted:

So, is this where I can say I really want more episodes of Mike Detective?

No one wants a second season more than I do. And Scott and Neil want to do it too. It's just been the same old story of not enough time. My prediction - it will be a long time before there is anything new but I do think it will happen.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKULE123 posted:

Glad to have your perspective! It's hard to quantify how getting into podcasts through CDR/CBB re-awoke my love of standup and has lead me to travel far and wide to see live comedy.

Earwolf shows are a big part of that, as are the other networks that popped up - before the podcast rush, it was super-hard to know who to see when you're a fan who lives on the outer reaches of comedian tours.

Thanks for the kind words, it's great to know things have opened up for you with comedy. I think that's one of the best parts - the broader access to content - that people in LA and NYC don't really think about.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lord Wexia posted:

Yo when can I get some new episodes of Cyber Thug Radio, boss man?

I think that ship has sailed. We enjoyed doing the special 3rd ep with them early this year, and they enjoyed doing it, but Jerry is really busy with other projects these days. Sorry.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hey Jeff! Love, Dad is one of my favorite new podcasts despite me not being a dad or anywhere close to one (though I think that's part of why you guys made the show). Are you allowed to say what Koechner is filming that's keeping him away from the podcast?

Thanks! To be honest, I can't keep up with Dave and have no idea where he is. But I do know he'll be shooting Anchorman 2 in late February/early March for 3 months! I'm concerned about the future of the show.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Max22 posted:

Don't forget about the Comedy Bang Bang! thread -- this one spun off of that one.

So I have an honest question for whoever wants to chime in...I signed up for an account because there seem to be passionate Earwolf listeners here and I thought I could contribute. But...I don't really understand the culture and don't want to be where I don't belong. I also don't want to show up and take over the whole thing. But I don't want to ignore questions I could answer. So, the question is, am I useful to this thread or should I go away and stick to our own forums and leave this for you guys? Thanks for the help.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Evil Agita posted:

Jeff. Analyzing Phish. Tell me there is more to come!

Not sure. Similar to Mike Detective, there is much love for it with us and Scott and Harris - but I'm not sure where it goes from here. We'll see, but it gets discussed every so often so I feel like there is hope.

On the bad news front, Affirmation Nation is officially retired and I don't know if Bob with appear on CBB in the future. Very sad. I worked hard with Seth to make that happen and it continues to be one of my favorite things to listen to.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Lots of people with games or comics or podcasts or whatever come here, just don't be a huge shill who only comes here to repost press releases and stuff. The only other big thing is to try not to take the Lord's name in vain. The mods are pretty forgiving about that though, they know we all stumble now and again. Oh and make sure not to vote until the floor is closed.

I can definitely live by those rules, I have no intention of using this as PRNewswire. Thanks!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

traveling midget posted:

Nobody takes anything too seriously, feel free to relax. Show up, answer questions, comment, tell people to gently caress themselves; it's all good.

Just don't go to "FYAD". Trust me.

Or "ADTRW".

Just so I don't overload the thread with individual responses, I'll just say thanks to everyone for their guidance and advice on how to participate here in a good way. I'm excited. Feel free to ask me anything. I won't be here daily (I don't think!) but I'll be checking up on this thread. I probably won't go to any of the other threads though.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mob posted:

Am I to believe that on any given week I am just $100 away from Kulap saying my name at the end of Who Charted

This is definitely what we'd like you to believe...

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

traveling midget posted:

Pepsi Next. Never do that to us again.

Here is the previously untold story of Pepsi Next...

It started off great. They were buying a pre-roll for every third Earwolf show in April, May & June. We were going to have say in the copy and I hired the hilarious Chris Cox to do the VO. I was really excited. We could make some money and have a feather in our cap when it came to recruiting bigger sponsors. I was feeling pretty good.

Then they came to record. Great guys, great copy. But it was too long (100 secs to start) and didn't have the same production value or personal voice that we would want. By that time I realized it wasn't really for me to say how it went and the best I could do was to get it down to 65 secs. Which was the bes I could do. Still way too long and didn't really feel like something we would normally do. I was worried, but at that point felt my hands were tied.

The next part was what I think really screwed it up and caused us to have some listeners lose trust: they didn't approve the final file until May 29th or 30th, instead of the end March when we originally planned. When I finally received approval, I said "Okay, we'll start running June 1st through August 30th." I was told that the original timeline couldn't be moved and I was obligated to deliver 3.5 million impressions by June 30th, within Q2. So we had to run a spot that was too long, not enough in our own voice and with a lower production level than we would like...on every show, sometimes more than once, for a full month. It was rough. And the fans were pissed, rightfully so. Many were happy that we had the opportunity, but many were not. They felt betrayed. I understood but didn't think pulling them was a good idea either.

So we all endured. I couldn't say anything publicly because that would be unprofessional, and at the same time the guys we worked with were great and I didn't want to throw them under the bus. I really think it was all of these factors that didn't work, not their copy. So I shut up and took it. Even now, I still hear about it but I learned a lot and won't put myself in a position for that to happen again.

And the listeners have for the most part forgiven us, based on the fact that we are pretty careful about our ads now and vet all the sponsors and spots to make sure they are relevant to a big enough part of our audience so that it makes sense. The key I think is this: Not everyone who listens to Sklarbro Country are interested in buying $90 pants from Bobonos.com. But they understand that plenty of the people in the community are interested. It's when you do spots (reverse mortgages, shady divorce attorneys, et.c) that NO ONE feels the community would benefit from, then it's selling out and no one feels good about that.

Thanks for giving me a chance to explain after all this time!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Al! posted:

Yeah I liked it a lot as a once a week show but just can't get into the 10-15 minute format and therefore don't subscribe. It's just not what I listen to Podcasts for and they never have time to get into an interesting conversation like he had with PFT.

Basically the tribe had spoken. We thought switching it to once a week and still having Andrew put them out on his blog daily was a great idea. Until we did it. LESS people listened to the one long ep than listened to ANY of the daily shows. So we switched back. Sorry, I wish it worked both ways.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Kodo posted:

Great to see Earwolf reaching out to the community at large. It's great how active and vibrant earwolf has come these past months (years?).

Was wondering about any word on Glitter In The Garbage? Drew Droege kind of left us hanging with whether he'd be back or not. With Improv4Humans now a regular show, I can see why GITG might not be coming back. But hopefully he'll be a guest on I4H someday.

Also I bought the episode of cyberthug radio and god do I wish that was a regular show. Jerry Minor and Miles were hilarious together.

Unfortunately GITG won't be returning. Matt books his own show so I'm not sure if he'll have Drew on or not. Thanks for the kind words!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

What's the update schedule of Nerd Poker? Is it weekly, or bi-weekly, or what? Is my question going to be answered automatically in a couple of days?

We've got 3 more in the can and they just had to cancel Tuesday's recording session. I think the huge response to the show will help ensure it keeps going, but they didn't commit to a full-time, weekly show. We agreed that we'd be okay if it was more of a 6 episode "mini-series". They WANT to do it, but 6 people who are all busy make it really, really tough.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I have to say shots fired is seriously my new must listen to show. As a big hip hop fan it's cool to listen to a show that gets into the more absurd aspects of it. I also saw Jeff Weiss had an article in la weekly about the chronic and thought it was a pretty good article.

I'll let them know, thanks for the kind words!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Oh cool, 53 new posts in the Earwolf thread, I hope it's not a derail about poo poo noone cares abo-:stare:
Cool to see you here Jeff! Like said before, it's really neat you reached out to a forum outside of your own.

Anywho, I'm listening to the Best of Improv4Humans 2 and laughing all over again to the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe and Eric The Intern at the Beverly Hills polling place.
Would love if Eric got an account here as well, I'd love to see a writeup on how he actually got where he is. He just casually mentioned once that he was from Alaska or Washington originally, signed up for an Improv sketch intern (despite only watching "that one show") and now he's a genius programmer for a facial regocnition software?
I mean, what?!

Although I guess he probably already posts in TCC.

Thanks Zsinjeh!

I don't have time to tell the Eric story, but maybe someday :)

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Auritech posted:

Jeff -- much respect to you. No matter what's ever happened, you and Scott have made it possible for a lot of funny and interesting things to enter my ears during the arduousness of work, and it's great to see you here.

I was curious most about Totally Laime -- the year since they won the Earwolf Challenge has passed. Does that mean TL is pretty much part of the Earwolf family for good? I think Elizabeth is a charming and endearing host, and I've stayed with it, and it completely belongs on the network.

Thank you.

Originally Elizabeth emailed me saying they were going to leave when their year ended. I said we should meet to discuss. Turned out, they didn't want to leave but wanted to create their own website, add a podcast, do their own shirts, etc. She didn't think we'd be interested in that. I said HOGWASH! I don't care about any of that and am happy for them to grow into their own thing and still let us put their show out. She was thrilled about that and now we'll just keep going for as long as it makes sense for both sides. Which should be a while (knock on wood).

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

ZackHoagie posted:

Hey Jeff, when it comes to Yo, Is This Racist could we find a way to have it both ways and have one compilation episode of the week beforehand or is it just redundant to do something like that?

That's essentially what we tried. The issue is feed related. It's too confusing to have two feeds (in iTunes and elsewhere) and unless you have two, subscribers would have redundant content that would annoy the living you know what out of them. Sorry, we tried and failed.

Had the same conceptual problem with Ducca.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Max22 posted:

Don't forget about the Comedy Bang Bang! thread -- this one spun off of that one.

Ok, we're going to tweet this very, very soon, but I wanted to come here first with some cool news. We recorded the comedians from the final live Comedy Bang Bang on Tuesday night interviewing each other about their 10 years and 500 shows of CBB memories. It was fun. We're editing now and it looks like we'll release it as an Earwolf Presents on Sunday at 11:59pm PST (that's the plan anyway). It's close to an hour and a half long.

It's pretty cool for anyone who ever wanted to be backstage at a CBB live show. Scott will do the intro but has not heard the file and I won't let him until it's released! I hope everyone enjoys it. It looks like we'll have a sponsor and 100% of the ad revenue will go to The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank. Podcasting for good feels great. I can't wait to hear the reaction on Monday!

Participants

Patton Oswalt
David Cross
Chris Hardwick
Doug Benson
Brian Posehn
Joss Whedon
Paul F. Tompkins
Steve Agee
John Hamm
Tim Heidecker
Neil Hamburger
DJ Douggpound
Kurt Braunholer
Kristen Schaal
Anthony Jeselnik
Tom Lennon
Jimmy Pardo
Jenny Slate
Nick Kroll
Chelsea Peretti
Rikki Lindhome
Kate Miccuci
Jeff Ullrich
Kulap Vilaysack
Mike Rosenstein
Jake Fogelnest

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Can't wait. And donating the profits is a nice thing to do. You guys are great!

Thanks, I'm very excited!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

Joss Whedon does standup?

No, he was just backstage.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Well that's just about the best list of people I've ever seen. That's fantastic.

I forgot Zach Galifianakis.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Dark Weasel posted:

THE RETURN OF JON HAMM

If Harris Wittels were on this list, the podcast would just be too good to be sustainable.

Too foamy.

Harris's phone went dead before the show and he couldn't find his charger so he had to sit this one out.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Politicalrancor posted:

Who was the terrible guest scott mentioned on Kevin Pollack? Pretty please Jeff, I need to know.

I haven't listened, sorry, no idea.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

As another dirty Swede I'm fairly sure it was "just" a standup show

Yes, just a stand up show. Some sketchy type bits too.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jeffullrich posted:

Yes, just a stand up show. Some sketchy type bits too.

Any feedback on the backstage show? I'm fairly insecure and it ended up being a lot of work. We're not getting a ton of feedback on our forums or Twitter. Be honest!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey Jeff. What's with the censoring on the CBB special? Is Presents a feed y'all want to keep free of the explicit tag in iTunes or something?

It was funny to hear posehn getting beeped so much in casual speech.

There is a new file up without the bleeps. What happened was that we had a company interested in sponsoring the ep but they were concerned about vulgarity. So in my initial pass, I put in bleeps in my editing notes. But as it went along (and as the night got later and later), it was just too much so I stopped and put a note in for the engineer that said - disregard the bleeps. And then told the sponsor it wouldn't work.

He didn't see that note in the email. So they went in. When I heard on the forums this morning that they were still in and asked him to fix. He sent out the new file an hour or so ago and it was swapped out (I think). So if you delete and re-download, you'll hear the uncensored version. Thanks for asking!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKULE123 posted:

Felt like an awesome gift from Earwolf to CBB fans, and also a bit of a deserved tribute to the Choctaw - I hope you guys felt it was worth the effort in the end.

I hope to make an LA comedy roadtrip in 2013 (pretty much because of how podcasts like CBB brought me back to standup), and was really sad to hear CBB was coming to an end before I get there - but having this at least made me feel like I got to live it once, vicariously through others.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it!

I'm working on a state of the union/2013 predictions article I can't wait to share. I'll keep you posted and would love your thoughts.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Greggy posted:

Man, Reality Show Show is so good I feel like actually watching the shows would take away some of the magic. Shark Tank is the only one that is kind of tempting me, but I think if I tried watching a whole show instead of listening to 3 minutes of it I'd get bored quick. All the bits were great, their guest was a teenage twitter star yet somehow that wasn't terrible, and Sean did a surprisingly decent Old Dirty Bastard impression, so all in all an amazing episode.

This is the first podcast there's no possible way I would have found on my own that I started listening to based only on the "podcast network" it was part of. Great job Earwolf!

I love that show too. Thanks for the kind words!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. I'm Canadian, so I've been watching Kevin and Robert on the Canadian version, Dragon's Den, for years. Shark Tank's the only show they talk about that I actually watch and I still loving love Reality Show Show. Hayes and Sean have a great rapport and the last segment of the latest episode is a great example of them being funny and off-the-cuff. That ODB impression alone is worth listening to it.

Thanks!

Here is our holiday video. Thanks for listening!

http://blog.earwolf.com/post/38313566973#notes

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jyrka posted:

Hey, Jeff? Thank YOU for the hundreds of hours of quality and free entertainment!

Our pleasure!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Brock Samson posted:

Thanks for putting the engineers in there too. Neat seeing them.

Thanks! The original plan was to only do staff but then we decided to grab hosts as they came in the studio too so SOMEONE would watch it!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Thank you Jeff! This has been a fantastic year for Earwolf and that recent Facebook news about a new big show coming sounds interesting. Got through a tough move and leaving some people behind, and listening to the great shows that came out around Christmas really helped me power through it.

Big thanks to Matt Besser for the Gun Control episode of I4H! Really awesome mix of a nice talk about the horrible incident in CT and managing to get some laughs in the darkness of it.

Thanks! I hope things are settling down post-move, that can be tough. Besser...well, he's Besser. Gotta love him.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Heeeey Jeff Ullrich, I hear Ronna and Beverly is your favorite Earwolf podcast. Well, I love it too. Please encourage it in whatever way your position allows you to. I know I should put my money where my podcast desires are, and I promise I will soon...

Hey everyone, the new Ronna & Beverly podcast is live and really good. It features Paul F Tompkins (of course) and two other people (Paget Brewster and Angela from the Office).

Never miss an episode. About to listen to the new one right now!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Besser looks more and more like Tarantino every day, especially with those glasses.

Or Dave Anthony.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

tnimark posted:

No I noticed that too. It sounded like he was about to proclaim something about the future of the TV show, then changed his mind and quickly moved on.

We're hopeful but no word yet. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKULE123 posted:

Not to steal Jeff's thunder, but I thought his post of 6 podcasting industry predictions for 2013 article on AllThingsD was super-interesting, especially the info about how Earwolf is doing financially.

http://allthingsd.com/20130104/six-podcasting-predictions-for-2013/

Thanks!