Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Look at this guy, thinks he's a journalist! It's a good article, agree with most of it. Really surprised by those ad numbers, especially since podcast advertisers seem to be a fairly small group. If ad revenue has gone up like that, then it must be effective for them. I hope the TV stuff ends up with a full fledged network just so Besser can have his own 30 minute show of him screaming at the Jets and Razorbacks.

We've already had that meeting with Besser. He wants to add people from the Earwolf Forums to that list as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

indigi posted:

I guess Legendary buying Nerdist doesn't count?

I didn't include Nerdist/Legendary there because they weren't really buying the podcasts. They were buying Chris, the Nerdist brand, the YouTube channel, etc. Chris and the Nerdist brand are so far ahead of us and most podcasters, it's not really the same thing. I thought about mentioning it, but I had already hit 1,200 words and I would have had to write too much to explain the difference so I left it out.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mob posted:

"Podcast listeners are sticky."

It's like you know me.

We have a new show coming out Thursday and we're really excited. http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/01/08/jeff-garlin-arrested-development/

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

FitFortDanga posted:

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Looking forward to this!

Here it is https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/by-way-in-conversation-jeff/id592632438?mt=2

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Dark Weasel posted:

Anyone else notice that Analyze Phish has its own page and logo now?

and feed...https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/analyze-phish/id592235667

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jyrka posted:

I bet it's going to look like a bunch of people sitting in a room talking.

Any other expectation will be met with disappointment. Hopefully they are well received, we'll see.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Conduit for Sale! posted:

So when is the first CBB on this VPN thing? I too am afraid of accidentally watching an Adam Carolla podcast.

Friday night, 5pm PST!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

From what I've gathered from various comments the way it will work for the Earwolf content is that every Thursday there will be a stream that rotates Earwolf shows. That's probably a better idea than having a CBB every week. Though I wouldn't really complain about that either. The first one that just ended was pretty great.

It's late here and I'm about to turn in, but here's what I can say:

1. We'll be doing one live show per week to start, Thursday's at 6pm PST and the shows will rotate, so it won't be any one show all the time. But which show it is will depend on scheduling and such.
2. It looks like a lot of the shows will be released later as regular eps. However, that may not always be true and will be up to the artists to decide on a case by case basis.
3. None will be for sale in our store.
4. The video archives will be available after the fact (some clips as well) on youtube.com/earwolf
5. VPN is not run by Carolla, he is one of the content partners. It is run by a different group, some of whom have worked with him in the past on Loveline and The Man Show.

Does that cover it? Let me know if I missed a question, I'm about to pass out.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jyrka posted:

"I heard your religion is weird nonsense. Does that ring a bell?" - Chelsea Peretti to mormons.

This was amazing live.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

urk the quack posted:

They've had the website up for awhile but only recently started using it. I think Jake Fogelnest and make Jeff Ulrich are streaming shows, taking callers ect.

Sorry I haven't been responding much. Busy, busy, blah, blah.

We are doing a live episode of The reality SHOW show on Saturday at 11am PST. The best part, you can call in! Sean and Hayes are looking for callers.

347-514-WOLF

Listen on https://www.earwolf.com/radio

Have fun and stop patent trolls!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Nemo posted:

They are saying Lemonaded at least some of the time. The description for episode 13 mentions them talking about a "lemonation" on Top Chef.

They're just making fun of how some reality stars pronounce the word.

Just got word that they'll be doing the show live every Saturday at 11am PST. Which is all kinds of exciting for me! I love those guys so much.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The Wolf Den has a new episode up. And a new logo (I think?) that hopefully means a more regular schedule. Come back to SA, Jeff!

Thanks for listening! I'll be doing it regularly again. Just finished with the producer of WTF, Brendan McDonald.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

Hi Jeff, Hollywood Handbook is the best show on Earwolf please be nice to it

I just spent several hours of my Saturday afternoon on the show giving them a chance to make fun of me. Isn't that nice?!?!?!

They really do cost us a lot of money with no hope of turning it around and we still do it, so that should say something. We're on our SECOND money losing show with those guys. I think we've proven our devotion.

Thanks for listening.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

isnt that right posted:

But... but i just donated four dollars and twenty cents to them the other week. Surely that will right the ship. Right?

Many thanks! (I mean it, that helps.)

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Riptor posted:

hey jeff. earwolf makes me happy. it makes me extra happy that never not funny is part of earwolf too. anyway thanks for making good podcasts

Thanks! That's nice to hear. It's a group effort, lots of people involved to make it all happen. Plus, Andy Daly.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Hey Jeff, if you're around, could you explain the rationale behind the Snus ads? Is it just a case of $$$? I'm not trying to be rude, it's just a little... odd.

Thanks for asking. I decided to write this tonight after reading your post and getting a few other similar questions.

http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/16045-general-snus-ads-on-earwolf-shows/

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

Does it really have a small listenership? I thought Jeff Ulrich was being facetious. It's easily one of their best podcasts.

Our smallest, by far.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jeffullrich posted:

Our smallest, by far.

Except for The Wolf Den, which I don't really count as an Earwolf show.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

While I personally didn't care about the Snus ads I do appreciate that you, stood up for doing what you believe is right and also took the time to explain your position.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

nah, just post a thread in SH/SC

a few more off the top of my head... newegg.com: pretty much everyone knows they are the best online source for computer equipment and electronics (or at least the benchmark for all other sites). They give 2.5% of sales which could really add up. http://www.newegg.com/info/affiliates.aspx

For cloud services I'd go with Rackspace: https://www.rackspace.com/affiliates/ You really can't go wrong by recommending the company with the absolute best customer support in the IT industry.

I wouldn't say never (and yes, we do it with Amazon), but it's a hard way to make money. If we had a more narrow vertical, it would work better.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

jeff ulrich now that you're posting here please never cancel hollywood handbook because it would break my heart to pizzas. thank you.

There are no plans to cancel the show. Seriously.

But I'm curious, if we lose $15,000/year doing the show (and our production expenses are not high), why should we keep doing it? Instead of, say, investing in another show with greater potential, using it for employee bonuses, etc. Or I could take some money for a change, I have a young daughter and living in LA is expensive. For that kind of money, I could send her to the best international school in the city. Or upgrade from my Hyundai to, well, most anything else (I would of course choose the school).

Again, I love the show and don't have plans to cancel it, but your comment made me feel like it was fair for me to ask the question. There are real costs to real people to make these shows.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SavoyTruffle posted:

Hollywood Handbook will be rolling in donations pretty soon anyway once all of their listeners start kicking butt and taking names in the red carpet lined back hallways of this industry we call showbusiness.

This is by far the most compelling argument.

Thanks for the (mostly) earnest responses. All good points. And as Conduit said, it's complicated. If we did cancel the show, we don't get our money back, we've already invested in the staff and studio to do it. It merely prevents us from adding a different show.

I love the show, love the guys, and have no interest in canceling it. I just thought this was a good place to ask the question.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

I really want to listen to the latest episode of UTU2TM but haven't listened to any of the others. Am I missing out on anything by going straight to the end or are there any I really need to listen to?

All of them, sorry.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

Jeff big ups to you on this Midroll Media stuff. When is the name change coming?

Thanks! Name change? Still Earwolf, still Midroll. It's just that Midroll Media is the parent company to both. Is that what you mean?

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

Jeff big ups to you on this Midroll Media stuff. When is the name change coming?

We've got some pretty big news coming Monday. Excited to share.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

whens hollywood bowl analyze phish

I don't know. I thought Scott told me he had finished editing but then I didn't hear anything after that. That was a week ago Monday night.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

jeffullrich posted:

We've got some pretty big news coming Monday. Excited to share.

Here is my news: http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/16918-announcing-earwolfs-new-ceo/

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I am nervous and I think you are only doing this for the sweet "Chairman" title, but I can't blame ya for that.

Nervous, like nervous that I'm not really leaving?

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

No, nervous in that I think you and Scott were a really good working partnership. You could be the bad guy when need be, and he only had to worry about those trademark puns. Will this new guy have that? Time will tell I suppose, and I doubt you would hand it off to someone who couldn't do it.

Thanks. Scott is the best. New guy will be fine. We are so much more than Scott and I at this point, there is a lot more too it than that (which is part of where this comes from).

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

this sucks, imo. bad move for the cmpany this point forward

Why?

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

for one, I domt see this higher budget helping anyone. all I see is a cool underground hipster joint transforming into a fearsome corporate company, just like uhhh..... Gary Sinise in Snake Eyes

Well, we now have benefits, which allows our studio manager Savannah to have a baby (according to her, not me), which I am really proud of. We have new studios with furniture that works, allowing everyone to both feel safe and be proud of their workplace (it was really bad for a long time). It allows us to fund things like the Andy Daly Pilot Project Podcast, which we didn't make any money on, because we think it needs to exist in this world. That is in addition to the well-documented investment we make in that terrible show that you all seem to love so much, Hollywood Handbook.

And, it lets me move on to not killing myself with work, because I can afford to pay other people to help out.

I understand the sentiment, I do. But we are not changing all the podcasts. We're not canceling anything. But you are right, it will continue to become more of a business, though not a corporation. I believe there is a difference and that we've been a business this whole time. Our budget was $1,700/month as recently as August 2011. I'm glad it isn't that way any more, those days sucked. And I'm proud of the business I've built. And it's not a fearsome corporate company.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it. I'm glad you care about Earwolf.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Where's that one poster who thought Nerdist being sold to Legendary was the beginning of the end for podcasts? Probably somewhere having a coronary.

And just to be clear, we haven't sold.

Not saying we wouldn't, but we haven't. In fact, we turned down an offer 2 weeks ago.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Politicalrancor posted:

Jeff, you've really built something great and you have earned this rest. Enjoy it, man. Look forward to anything you do in the future, with Earwolf or without. I think this is the part where we all stand on our desks.

Thank you so much. It really means a lot for you to say that. I will try and enjoy it, while not driving my wife crazy.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

There is no justice in this godforsaken world :negative:

To be fair, we could only charge advertisers for 1/4 of the downloads because we had no idea how many people would listen. And since it was limited run, we never had a chance to make up for that. But...I would have done it even if it cost us $10K, just to be able to hear it myself.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

I have no idea what this means. But I'm happy for them.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Enjoy the rest Jeff, you earned it! Apart from doing a fantastic job at Earwolf I'm really glad you took the time to reach out to us fans on a completely page outside of Earwolf (how did you come about finding us by the way?). It has been very meaningful to have shows like CBB and I4H to look forward to each week during a couple of years of ups and downs.

(I'm going to let that comment about Hollywood Handbook slide :colbert:)

I don't remember how I found you, I think someone told me maybe?

This is a great group of real fans and I'm glad I did find you!

Also thanks to Alikchi, Riptor and The Ape of Naples. I was afraid no one would care, I appreciate you going out of your way to say otherwise.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

tnimark posted:

Nothing I can say that others haven't already, but I just wanted to throw my thanks and congrats on the pile. Good luck with whatever you do next, Jeff.

Thanks guys! I didn't expect so many kind words, but I very much appreciate them. I'm confident things will keep getting better and better!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You're a good dude, Jeff. Thanks for spending time with us and answering our dorky rear end questions about podcasts. Long Live Love, Dad!

Thanks everyone. It's been a difficult day, but I'm glad I'm doing this. I miss Love, Dad too.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

All the best, Jeff! You're an official Good Dude in my book!

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Devonaut posted:

There's a new Wolf Den episode up, featuring Hot Saucerman himself:

http://www.earwolf.com/show/wolf-den/

Hi everyone - I wanted to stop by and say thank you for everything. Over the past few years I've been able to come here and read how people really feel about what we do - what you like and don't like - and have been able to participate and engage when it made sense. You made me feel welcome and I appreciate that very much.

I'm really excited for Earwolf's future, there is a ton of new stuff being worked on right now, and I'm sure I'll check back in later to see how you all feel about things.

In the meantime, enjoy HH and I4H, go easy on Fogelnest and prepare for some changes. Adam and the rest of the team are hard at work right now to keep pushing the envelope on things.

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm already bored as hell.

Best,
Jeff