Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

a_big_dog posted:

Matt Besser has the worst music taste of anyone in the world.

He likes some real cool garagey stuff but overall, ya kind of an old guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Improv4Humans was excellent today. The music was just so much less lame then that Ben Lee episode. And the cast was just unstoppable.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

IMO it's the best episode yet.

Ya I feel that. They certainly cracked themselves up.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Lapkus is great, just next level. Should I watch House of Lies? I saw one episode and it was super heavy and didn't seem like a very funny show, despite having funny people in it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

Have you enjoyed Lapkus on podcasts enough to watch her in the new Adam Sandler film Blended?

I didn't even finish Funny People. Blended seems like it'll be super racist and set in a fake country made up of stereotypes. So ya, I may watch it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

I decided to toss on U Talkin U2 to Me? at work for the first time, and while most of the time I just need something for background noise, this conversation about pooping has me completely engrossed. Is every episode like this?

You really should start from the beginning, like 75% of the show is running jokes.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Beeez posted:

If only how much we like Sean and Hayes translated to dollars. Or pounds. Whatever currency Earwolf uses.

Loonies + Toonies

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ha, I just complimented @jongarbus on the perfection that is the 4/20 I4H episode: "@DJCrabhat thanks man. i didnt remember half of it"

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Rest in peace, Harris Wittels.

I didn't get why they kept saying that, can someone elaborate?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

anotherone posted:

They made the joke that Harris died in I think the Rattle & Hum episode.
ohhh now that i think about it I definitely forgot to finish that one, thanks. He wasn't bad on who charted today. He is a dude I feel on a deep level, from the misanthropy to the raving and heavy drug use (don't understand phish at all, though)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tnimark posted:

Oh my god. You guys. Scott playing songs and asking Todd if it's U2. This is the best.
For real. I cackled so loud when Weezer and the Fat Boys came on.

Why the gently caress does Scott have The Rembrandts on his ipod?

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 28, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Beeez posted:

What kind of stuff does Besser say?

Just hates on him relentlessly as a host/comedian/person

I never really loved WC, but it's obvious now that Howard really makes the show.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm just the opposite. I'm not a fan regularly either but Weitzman's residency has been appointment pod. I just find Howard annoying but Armen's insecure incompetency really compelling.

Howard is great because of the shotgun approach: only 30% of what he says will make me laugh, but 10% of it is high-level comedy

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

soggybagel posted:

I'm half way through the podcast and it honestly doesn't seem particularly scathing.
When they talk about him dropping out of UCB, and the satire vs parody part, it sounds like Armen is dying with embarrassment. But I don't know how you can't get the vibe that Besser absolutely loathes Armen. It's not like joking around with friends, it's just "*sigh*" and "think about what you just loving said".

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

OMG they literally play songs on a computer and then have live drums and a trumpet. Amazing!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Jeff big ups to you on this Midroll Media stuff. When is the name change coming?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jeffullrich posted:

Thanks! Name change? Still Earwolf, still Midroll. It's just that Midroll Media is the parent company to both. Is that what you mean?

Ya I was wondering if you were gonna lose the Earwolf name.

jeffullrich posted:

We've got some pretty big news coming Monday. Excited to share.
:cool:

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Big on you, bro. You know you've created something truly endearing and that has touched so many people. And not only a place for fans to listen, but you created a venue for new comedians to shine in. You've earned the time off. Keep on keeping on, and I'm sure we'll hear big things from you soon.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 16, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

moot the hopple posted:

I'm watching season 1 currently, and it's pretty good. The weakest part is definitely the whole underground anarchist secret society conceit, but I've enjoyed many of the actual bits.

Lol it was the 90s. The idea of "culture jamming" resonated much better. I think it's a great premise to tie together a bunch of disparate scenes of people acting like weirdos.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cams posted:

Harris didn't need to be confronted on his status as not a chiller like this :(
Ya, that was pretty devastating. And then Scott being like "hey when the hell am I going to get my amends?"...so heavy.

cams posted:

EDIT 2: My favorite part of every Phish song is where I have a visceral reaction to how lovely the lyrics are.
I winced at the "World's Greatest Dad" part. But my lord, the rap was so gloriously horrendous.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jakefogelnest posted:

I directed Traci Lords and Dave Foley in a Ramones tribute sketch this week
siiiiick

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I love Topics but that kind of humor is laser-beam focused on my personal taste. I'll give anything a chance that has more than one member of The State involved. Or even just one, really. I'm rarely if ever disappointed in the outcome.
I have a real soft spot for Stella and that deep anti-comedy, but Topics really is a chore to listen to. You almost gotta force yourself to be like "ya, this is funny".

The only non-Earwolf podcasts I listen to are I Don't Even Own a Television (the latest episode with @Mobute on Bill O'Reilly is amazing) and Men In Blazers. I really tried to like My Brother, My Brother and Me because my wife loves it, but it just feels so un-professional to me: it just sounds like some guys riffing in a basement.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 21, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jyrka posted:

Finally got around to listening to the Sinbad ep. Holy poo poo.

It was perfection. But I don't know when I heard this (years ago), but I think Sinbad really does believe he was abducted.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

He's also in the 3rd spot, behind Maggie Gyllenhall and Lee Pace :smith:
May have to do with those people being remarkably more famous.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 30, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Well, yeah. I was more lamenting the fact that the 3rd spot is always the one that risks being bumped/reduced to a 2 minute "Alright, who are you and what's your plug" appearance.
Oh, word. http://splitsider.com/2014/07/scott-aukerman-and-seth-meyers-talk-comedy-bang-bang-and-between-two-ferns/ he's pretty charming on this. I know he was so super nervous, but get came off well (if slightly "on").

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Crazy how Jerry Minor was almost the third co-founder of Earwolf AND was going to be the only one putting in money to start it. I imagine him running it like his character in Delocated.
Hahah I loved that. I can imagine how crazy that would've sounded 5 years ago. "Ya, you know I thought about actually writing you a check to make a bunch of podcasts... and it seems kinda risky"

I really liked hearing Jeff and Scott as bosses. That idea of having professional standards, and "this shouldn't rise up to me" is so true. And how it really is interesting to be that one stop shop for podcasts, where comedians can just come and have this venue, utilize those resources.

And Jeff really sounded quite anxious about the future, as much as he tried to be excited about the prospect. I can't imagine how scary that'd be, not being there every day, not tending to your baby. It was a great episodes and I'm appreciative to have heard it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jeffullrich posted:

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm already bored as hell.
You are truly an inspiration. I can't imagine how hard it is to switch gears like that (do you have to fight the urge to react to every email beep on your phone?), but you have to be super proud of everything you did, and know that you're gonna go on to do even more amazing things. Just know that I am supper appreciative of what you were able to facilitate, and that earwolf has brought a whole lot of joy to my life. (And that it's so cool that you're so accessible and hang with us plebs)

I mean, I am sitting here reading the UCB Improv Manual because you gave Matt Besser, one of the dudes who shaped my whole comedic outlook, a venue for me to hear him again, just soak in his brilliance every week, and to stay connected with contemporary comedy and find all these amazing comedians. Earwolf is like finding a record label you really love, you just know there's a standard of quality there, something you vibe with, and that you'll probably enjoy whatever they're putting up.

soggybagel posted:

Honestly, my least favorite design of the bunch
But it plays off the most iconic catchprhase, but it is kinda lame. I thought #2, blue turtling was the best balance of joke to design.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 10, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

arsachs posted:

Best,
Adam
This is awesome and I thank you for engaging with us.

Also can you make sure every time Jake Fogelnest ever mentions his XMU show around a Midroll employee, everyone in the office in earshot boos and hisses at his track selections/taste/inability to have good radio banter.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I think that's the new stupid newbie av

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya I'm not buying this "too busy with showbiz" garbage. Scott is famous AND a boss and he still produces content!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

erezaka posted:

that was such a great ep i want to listen to it again, which one was it though.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/there-there-my-bear-bear/ lmao the asher roth 1st skit

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Fantasy football is scummy? Dumb, sure (I'm a former player) but scummy?
This type is where every week is a new draft and you pay to play. And I think there's upgrades and crap you can sink even more money in. A small handful of people made buco dollares, everyone else doesn't. Basically online gambling.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jialiangzhong posted:

From the Ep 9 of U talkin' U2 to Me...

I think I might have brain problems.
The crazy makeumup world where this lanaguage that sometimes needs param types, other times doesn't is the real brain problem. And who wouldn't define it STRAIGHT_UP_1900_WIZARD_WOLF ? It's an important as hell constant.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Scott is deeply lame, this has to be accepted. He had questionable taste back in his day, and loves all the most NPR-esque contemporary music. Dude was a huge Scritti Politti fan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7Jy2y-33A

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tacier posted:

This clip really illustrates your point a lot better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JG_TLdPSY
lol thank you very much. Like get me, I like that postpunk era just like any self music fan, and I forgive a bunch of dated sounding production. but god when I think of Scritti I think of like just a dude just picking the absolute worst sound for every instrument and that breathy whisper-singing...god it is just peak lameness to me. I may give them a second chance because of your promises of genuine weirdness.

The funny thing to me has been that 2 of the musical guests are indie rock dad-followups of 2 legendary pop punk bands: All and Lagwagon. I really enjoyed the Hallelujah The Hills songs, turned me on to them. But ya they can all be pretty obnoxious.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 12, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Conduit for Sale! posted:

#10 sounds good: Andy Daly, Joe Wengert and Horatio Sanz.
I listened to this last night, and you will not be disappointed. Horatio is in great form.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It's super heavy. The whole point of the podcast is to get deep and uncomfortable, but the host has a real knack for it. It's also only like 20 mins, well worth it for Scott's deep, serious voice.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I used to work for Tim & Eric's production company that makes CBBTV.
That's awesome! It's amazing to me how deep Absolutely is in to the comedy world. Them or PFFR have made like every show I have adored over the last 5 years.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Someone in the biz, how much would I would've been paid for a speaking roll on CBB (and it seems I would've had to join SAG)?

(after a little more research, this would be an under-5, AFTRA, not SAG, and probably would've been ~$300)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 18, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I don't know if you have to wait to have more seasons of your show than seasons in the year for those to start coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

SAG-AFTRA is the same thing. They merged a few years ago. You'd be paid very little. Less than $500 is my guess. When I was at Abso, CBB was going into its third season and they, like most of their shows. were not a union show (by which I mean all the crew, not just actors).

While you would be eligible to join the SAG-AFTRA for a speaking role, there would be no reason to do so. You would eligible for residuals but your new member dues would dwarf whatever checks you would receive. My mom is a character actress who has been in some of the highest grossing movies of all time and she's received residual checks for literally a penny before. They decrease over time.
Lol thanks for the explanation, I obviously had no idea about any of it. I saw this on the page "SAG/AFTRA members must be current on dues. Non-union actors must join SAG/AFTRA if they have acted or will act within 30 days of appearing on the show" and assumed wrong things. The actors may be union, but not a union show. Thanks for that.