Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

R.I.P. Cyberthug Radio, Affirmation Nation, Earwolf Challenge, Eardrop

(Eardrop pretty much sucked from the beginning, but it was a grand idea. It could have been great if it was more than Doug Benson's plugs, airport noise, and Steve Agee's annoying "Cue the sound effect!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doesn't the intern/personal assistant job being advertised at the head of the latest Prof Blastoff sound like a ridiculous load of work to be asked to do for free?

Yes, but for a young aspiring comedian/actor looking to make some connections, it could be a good opportunity.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LesterGroans posted:

So, I've listened to a couple Fogelnest Files episodes now and I don't think I like it. It's a good idea, and would be really fun live, but it doesn't work as a podcast unless it's more a multimedia piece--watching the videos at your computer while listening--but it's hit and miss when you have it on your iPod. Also, Jake Fogelnest is hella-annoying.

I like it, but I'm usually familiar with most of the clips he plays. Also I don't find Fogelnest that annoying, but I don't think he's an amazing host or anything.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Greggy posted:

As a person who doesn't know anything about D & D, Nerd Poker seemed really rough to me. I'm going to give it more time, but the humor was not very good and I don't really care about the elfs and wizards. Were you guys who "get" Dungeons and Dragons way more in to it?

I played a little bit as a youngster. I was more into the paraphernalia of it -- the books, the modules, the dice, the figures -- than the actual gaming, which I didn't have the patience for.

So from the perspective of a former casual D&Der (and a former EverQuest addict, which is a similar thing), I found the show mildly entertaining, enough to subscribe and see where it goes. It may end up being a "not for me" show, but I'm willing to give it a chance for a while.

As a sidenote, my workplace security software blocks the Nerd Poker page at Earwolf because it thinks it's a gambling website. :ughh:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

xbilkis posted:

The biggest challenge will be preventing Garlin from talking for 90% of the show

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

Looking forward to this!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does anyone here listen to Fogelnest Files? I've seen a handful of shows now with guests I like but never got around to listening to them because I'm at best indifferent to Fogelnest as a host. This last one had Eddie Pepitone and Matt Oswalt (who writes the Puddin' shorts, and is the guy eating the pudding) so I might just have to listen.

Yeah I enjoy it a lot. The last one is actually a bit weak because, as much as I like Pepitone, he doesn't know a lot of the references.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah I love an Eddie Deezen reference and that one was wasted

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The quintessential nerd of the 80's, probably best known for WarGames

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also worth noting the last two episodes have absolutely nothing to do with Phish. It's Paul F. Tompkins, Howard Kreme and Shelby Fero talking about Jaws.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I like Fogelnest and I like his show. Maybe it's because I'm into a lot of the same esoteric poo poo he is. Anyone who sings the praises of "Night Flight" is a drat good fella in my book. I hope he drops a "Rock 'n' America" reference at some point.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I didn't know Rob Zombie was into Phish.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beeez posted:

Are they gonna put up the rest of the archive at some point? There are only eight episodes right now. I'd wanna check NNF out now that it's free, but I wouldn't know where to begin considering how many episodes there are.

Begin anywhere. There aren't a ton of "in jokes" on NNF, just a few quirky figures of speech that you'll catch on to quickly. I've listened to every single episode and I think the only one worth skipping is the Mark Vollman ep (and hey, some people like that one too).

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I don't see how. They have an existing fanbase that has proven it's willing to give them money for the show--they always provide these ridiculous bonus packages every season because people actually buy them. There will of course be people dropping off now that they don't have to pay, but I think that number will be smaller than you expect. Or to put it differently, I think the amount of people that still want to pay will be higher than you expect (I just signed up for the next two seasons :clint:).

To say nothing of the benefits of expanding their audience, which is of course where the real opportunity for growth is (both subscriptions and advertising). I think it's a very good move on their part.

Exactly. Almost everyone who is a current subscriber will continue to pay for the promise of a second episode every week plus the usual bonus content. Those who currently only listen to free feed will either keep listening for free, or once they see what they've been missing will be enticed to subscribe. And the Earwolf brand will attract at least a few new subscribers. I assume Brock Samson thinks the subscribers will quit buying the cow when they're getting the milk for free, but NNF subscribers are a devoted bunch. Most of them won't hesitate to keep paying for all that extra content.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More people making GBS threads on October :sigh:

It's the best U2 album, drat it!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Ape of Naples posted:

I don't know much about U2 or October so I looked up their discography. Apparently, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum were released on 8-track. :psyduck:

Unforgettable Fire doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I think I've seen that 8-track kicking around record stores.

Joshua Tree is a little surprising, but considering how huge that album was, it's not totally crazy that they released it on a dying format

Rattle and Hum is :wtf: Apparently one of the last 8-tracks ever produced.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The August Lindt episode may be the best podcast I've ever heard. I always delete podcasts when I'm done but this one I'm thinking of saving. Also, H.R. Giger needs to show up on CBB, if not have his own show.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, I have a hangup about holding on to too much stuff. And since I'm perpetually 5 to 25 hours behind on podcasts I haven't listened to yet (not to mention the hundreds of hours of music I've acquired and not listened to yet) it's very unlikely that I'm ever going to carve out some time to re-listen to old podcasts.

I like that you have folders for "other", "stuff" and "things" though. Must be very subtle distinctions.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thanks. I was worried that I'd made a horrible mistake by avoiding Superego all this time, but that's definitely not my kind of show

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

tnimark posted:

You are weird and bad and wrong but I sincerely hope you get better :sympathy:

Eh, I dunno if Conduit's clips are representative of the show as a whole, but they don't sound like they're having much fun. It sounds too planned and scripted, even though I know it's improvised. I like something looser. If I've gotten the wrong impression, then maybe I'll check out a full episode.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I hope they talk about the whole Negativland thing on U Talking U2 To Me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

jakefogelnest posted:

Peter Conheim of Negativland is on my show this Thursday.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I know they mentioned it early on, but they never devoted any episodes to Original Soundtracks 1, right? That's the album they recorded with ol' sour puss under the name Passengers.

They talked about it extensively on (I think) the Pop episode.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Filmspotting
Comedy Bang Bang
Walking the Room
Never Not Funny (plus Players Club)
NNF Presents: Rock Solid
TOFOP
Doug Loves Movies
Professor Blastoff
U Talkin' U2 To Me?
The Andy Daly Pilot Project
Analyze Phish
The Pod F. Tompkast
The Dana Gould Hour
Earwolf Presents

Only the first 8 update on a weekly basis. I still have problems keeping up with everything, but now that I work from home I don't have a commute to burn off podcasts with. Also, my job typically requires too much concentrate to really listen. I'm pretty excited to have my backlog down to only 6 hours, because I've got a ton of music on my iPod I haven't listened to yet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wait, is this a segment of "Let's Talk Apple"?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brock Samson posted:

Just for you being a massive dong about something you had to hear about once on a free podcast.

Not that I disagree with you about the massive dong thing, but I've heard Kulap tell the "he's not even your real dad!" story on at least four different podcasts.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Man, this latest ep of With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus is awful. Lauren doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with her character, and these other two ladies aren't coming up with anything good.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm pretty excited about the Spalding Gray series. I've heard/seen the first 4 and I've read Impossible Vacation, but the other 7 are all new to me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Adomian's impression of Bernie Sanders is based on only two things: 1) the voice (which, c'mon, is a pretty easy voice to do) and 2) the dude likes to quote statistics. That's the extent of it. Wow, comedy gold right there. It's just like his Gary Busey (oh boy, time for a shitload of bad acronyms!).

I do still enjoy his Leykis and Shindler, even though those impressions are equally one-note.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I like R.E.M. just fine but lol at the suggestion that The Velvet Underground was "long forgotten" and R.E.M. single-handedly revived interest in them. Pure fanboy fantasy nonsense. David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Suicide, Mott the Hoople, Joy Division, The Yardbirds, Bryan Ferry, The Runaways and Patti Smith had all recorded VU covers before R.E.M. came along.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

WerthersWay posted:

So now that the show is nearing its end, did anyone else get really into REM via the podcast? I only knew them through their mega hit 90s singles and never gave them a chance. But their output in the 80s is so good and it’s now impossible for me to not hear how nearly every indie band after was influenced by them.

Before , the only album I ever owned was Green (and I saw them on the Green tour). The podcast made me finally give the previous albums some attention. I also am surprised to find I'm not hating all the newer stuff.

I adore "U Talkin U2 2 Me" as a podcast, but it did absolutely nothing to improve my opinion of post-Joshua Tree U2.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It sounds like they don't want to do it, but man I would love it if Scott & Scott tackled Prince next.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

R.E.M. songs fall into two categories for Adam Scott: "incredible" or "unbelievable".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oh poo poo guys

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Middle left could be Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham

The woman with Scott and Scott resembles Stephanie Allynne or Jessica McKenna.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay HH fans, I find I have room for another podcast in my life and I'm wanting to give "the boys" a real chance to win me over (I listened to one or two episodes once about 4-5 years ago, had mixed feelings but I mostly enjoy them on Doughboys/CBB). It seems like there's a lot of inside jokes and lore involved, so I'd rather not jump around and cherry-pick episodes. I'm in no rush to catch up. Is there a certain point where the podcast starts getting "good", or should I just start from episode 1?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't know if I need to be that much of a superfan, but I'm firing up RSS episode 1 right now just so I can see where it all began. I'll probably end up cherry-picking from there, at least for the first few years. Thanks!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They should revive Eardrop.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bring back Professor Blastoff!!

This would make me so happy. There's no podcast I'd rather see revived.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

If you'd like a suggestion for a video game podcast that's 65% more of why the game/system sucked and 45% actual gameplay discussion, you can check out Retronauts. You may already know about it, but it's new to me.

Sounds like that podcast is giving 110%

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

fadam posted:

After a second runthrough of the HHPV, I'm officially out of stuff to listen to. I need some recommendations for stuff to play at work today: what are your guys' favorite episodes of Hollywood Handbook?

I'm doing a first-time listen of the entirety of HH. I just finished the Gilmore Guys episode and it was definitely a big highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

I can already tell that I am going to enjoy the "weird game" more than the "bad game" episodes of How Did This Get Played.

The Hatoful Boyfriend episode was funny. Everybirdy should give that one a chance.

Agreed. I hope for more weird game in the future.

However it annoyed me that Betsy and Mano just flat out rejected this style of game as a whole. I wish they had chosen someone more open to the experience. Also, although I have a lot of affection for Betsy Sodaro, I find she doesn't really contribute much. Half the stuff she ever says is just "yeah!" and/or repeating the last thing that was said. It's like she took "yes, and..." and boiled it down to just "yes".