Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

R.I.P. Cyberthug Radio, Affirmation Nation, Earwolf Challenge, Eardrop

(Eardrop pretty much sucked from the beginning, but it was a grand idea. It could have been great if it was more than Doug Benson's plugs, airport noise, and Steve Agee's annoying "Cue the sound effect!")

Eardrop was great, but I seem to recall a few comics saying the reason they aren't using it much anymore is because people would complain that they were using it too much. So of course they stopped using it because the vocal minority had a problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

So I've been catching up on shortwave today, so far I'm digging all the artists on it. So much that I've bought a couple albums already, this is going to be an expensive podcast for me if they keep playing stuff I like.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Greggy posted:

As a person who doesn't know anything about D & D, Nerd Poker seemed really rough to me. I'm going to give it more time, but the humor was not very good and I don't really care about the elfs and wizards. Were you guys who "get" Dungeons and Dragons way more in to it?

I haven't done a lot of role playing but I dug it, campaigns usually start kind of slow but they get more interesting as the story progresses. I think it'll get better, once the characters are more fleshed out and people get comfortable playing while being recorded.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

"That was the right call right?"

So loving great, I had to rewind because I wasn't sure I heard what was happening right.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That's a good guess but I thought Jay was strangely subdued for that episode. At least for Jay Mohr.

I've noticed from listening to podcasts that Jay Mohr has really changed in recent years. He's a lot more mellow and seems a lot more humble than he used to be. He's also a lot funnier when he's not making GBS threads on people.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Taking a real stand here, I know, but I don't like Chris Hardwick! I'd watch if it Besser was on though. Do they only air once/can you watch them online?

I can see why people don't like him, but I'm really digging @midnight. Watch it for the comedians, it's basically the same premise/show as Bunk, but it moves quicker and the bits are easier for the comedians to roll with.

I wish it were more of a panel style show, but I'll take what I can get. Maybe they could focus less on points and winning. I don't get why they eliminate funny comedians during the show, the best parts are when they're just riffing. I guess American TV networks just don't want that kind of programming.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GraPar posted:

Ooh, Sean Conroy hasn't been on in ages, love that guy

Love him on i4h, kind of mean and unlikable on his own podcast.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Riptor posted:

jeff have you ever considered just having all the podcasts play simultaneously and only releasing that

It's this kind of thinking that wins awards!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

This is my situation too. It turns out that you need no context to understand The Challenge

I too didn't listen because I don't care about reality shows. All the comments about it also don't make me want to listen to it. It's not even that it's something I don't care about, I listen to U talkin U2 to me and James Bonding and I don't care about either of those subjects. I think it's just the fact that the discussions seem to revolve around current reality show events and I think I'd feel out of the loop if I wasn't watching/listening to it.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2014

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Politicalrancor posted:

you're the problem.

Yeah I know, sorry!

Politicalrancor posted:

It was a bummer that sean and hayes couldn't rag on Juan Pablo for being a total dickbag weirdo, because I would have killed for that

But it's posts like this... Who is Juan Pablo? I suppose I'd know if I were listening to RSS.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Well jokes on you, because they also sometimes talked about classic episodes from years past.

BRB, watching all those seasons of every reality show I've never watched. Did they by chance cover The Real World? I remember there was some kind of pool, and a camper.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know though, maybe I'm wrong and Besser just loves him.

I think he identifies with him, I can imagine if Matt's life had gone a bit differently he'd be screaming at trumpet players on the street too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I guess Kyle is the jewy one who's always talking about his mother and his diet issues. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything he's legit extremely funny and I used to love blastoff when it was him and tig talking over david and the guest nonstop and telling stories and doing bits and stuff but I stopped listening because it kind of stopped being that.

Things got serious after Tig nearly died, death is no joke.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

piratepilates posted:

The comedy stylings of Ashley Tisdale.

I am kind of confused as to how the top-billed performer on that show does not have a Wikipedia article, it's also a bit odd when Lauren Lapkus (no offense) has more legitimate credits than your lead.

I saw the @midnight with the cast, I knew it would be a terribly unfunny show when Lauren's weakest jokes were treated like home runs compared to Tisdale.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tavarin posted:

The third cast member on the show, Ryan Pinkston.

Lauren was robbed with a "8===D~~~~"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

a worthy uhh posted:

For the hours of entertainment I already get, I'm going to pay for Howl whether I use it or not.

This is exactly what I want from all the media I enjoy, I don't want ads (even if sometimes they're funny) and I'd love a way to support them that isn't t-shirts and hot sauces. I think they should've done a patreon model though, let people pay per episode if they want, give bonus poo poo for contributing.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I mean maybe archives being gated is ok but I'm not downloading a podcast app other than the one I have, which currently can play every single podcast in the entire world. As far as I'm aware the Howl app lacks that critical functionality.

I use beyondpod with feedly, it's really convenient and I can keep track of what I've listened to regardless of how often I switch phones or flash a new rom. The deal breaker for me will probably be the fact that I can't just get a private/keyed RSS feed or something (even if they had an android app). Maybe they'll add that functionality at some point?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Isn't that the donation model they had in place? You could donate to a show, or to the studio, one time or recurring. Bonus was random, getting a shout out or something personal from the show.

I never donated because I don't want a shout out or anything they provided, the bonus poo poo wasn't guaranteed and there was no incentive other than good feels. Instead I just have like 6 earwolf shirts and hot sauce and I paid for a couple of the live shows. Patreon is different because it has milestones and stuff to guarantee you're getting something for your money.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Spraynard Kruger posted:

The JavaScript for the page isn't even obscured, it's pretty trivially easy to remove the paid membership checks and enable the web player.

This appears to be brought to us by the same folks who wrote the Earwolf store, which is served over unencrypted HTTP, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

This is the kind of poo poo that happens when non-technical people are put in charge of technical problems. Either way I think it doesn't matter too much, pirates are going to pirate, there's little you can do to prevent people who want to do it from getting it for free.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Why was Gelmania taken off Earwolf anyways? Stuff like the apple sisters is still on there.

It's all IP poo poo, the Earwolf contracts have ownership poo poo in there that some people don't like (probably for production/marketing reasons). That's why some podcasts prefer to be on networks like feral audio, because they don't do that kind of thing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I also highly recommend High and Mighty. The Taco Bell episode was disgusting but hilarious.

I signed up to start cross fit after his fitness episode, but I had to wait two weeks before the next beginner class. I ended up going to taco bell for an assortment of burritos and the crunchwrap supreme instead. The show is a success!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mr.capps posted:

I dislike it when this thread shits on Matt, because while I do recognize his faults and they are legitimate, my personality and sense of humor is very similar to his so I feel like you guys are picking on me :smith:

(i am not nearly that debate-y though)

Same here man, I'm on board with Besser pretty much 100% of the time. I don't get the hate, I think I4H has staying power. Unlike all the other podcasts I started listening to and loving only to give up on them a few months later (like Who Charted, The Todd Glass Show or HH). CBB and I4H are my mainstays.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I had the same reaction at first when I tried it about 6 months ago, but recently I tried again with the Sinbad episode and I've been hooked ever since. Maybe give it some time and you'll come around to it like I did.

I really tried to keep up with HH because of you guys, but even only listening to my favorite guests wasn't enough to keep me around. It's so hit or miss for me and has the whole "cringe humor" thing which just makes me feel bad.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tarranon posted:

what's funny is I actually agree with almost all of the negative stuff people have to say about the show in their ehhh wrong segments, but whereas they think those things make the show bad, I'm all about them.

I get the joke, it was funny at first, but it's just the same thing over and over again. After the Nth time Sean and Hayes mispronounce a famous name or misunderstand a guest it just gets a bit tedious.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Thanks for this. Holy poo poo indeed.

Every episode of I was there too is great, Matt Gourley is just a pleasure to listen to. He really captures the fun exciting part of being in movies/hollywood that you don't hear about too often anymore.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Besson posted:

Except the Scheer episode. That job sounded like the opposite of fun.

The job itself may have sucked, but it was one day and he got paid. Plus he seemed really excited to have been able to have a conversation with Eddie Murphy, one of his idols. Regardless of how "fun" the actual job was, I meant it's "fun" to hear real "show biz" stories. You don't really hear stories like these very often, every so often you hear one on a podcast or in an interview on TV, but this show is just all these kinds of stories. I really enjoy it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I subscribe to Howl right now but I just consider it a monthly donation to Earwolf. As soon as I got through the exclusive content there was never another reason to open the app, and the past 2 months of content hasn't really jumped out to me.

I really doubt it's doing well at all, or could ever. They just wildly misunderstood the market and had poor strategy going in. Which is a bummer, because there is a good idea there, they just didn't nail it.

They should have done a content-first launch with premium feeds that users could put into the podcast apps they already use, then rolled out the ad-free archive and Howl app once they were ready.

Based on the quality of their apps I'm going to bet they had in-house devs with little experience develop them, they really just need to outsource or spend some real money on some competent developers.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Kroll Show was great all around but man, if they had done a season 4 that was nothing but Pawnsylvania I would've had no problem with that.

I'm kind of glad Nick Kroll ended it on a high note, you could tell he didn't want to repeat characters or let them get stale, like the too much tuna guys have. Me and my wife still quote/imitate the ghost bouncers and wheels ontario, but had they overdone them I could see it getting repetitive and boring.

I really love Jon Daly though Pawnsylvania was great. I loved him on the christmas womptacular too, probably the best part. "I'm a racist"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

unprofessional imo
swearing for laughs is pretty cheap

If only swearing could make him funny

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

re: I Was There Too.

Reruns of a podcast? Really?

I get so excited when I see the "new" label in beyondpod, only to be let down by Mr Gourley. It wouldn't be a problem if this was a long running podcast, but I feel like I just recently listened from the beginning. TOO SOON

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

n8r posted:

That was a bit, but the episode was pretty weak. I enjoy the show still, Howard is a true character.

I tend to only listen to episodes with guests I like, in more recent episodes (that I've caught) I feel like they adhere to strictly to the format for my liking. I think they've just kind of worn out the format, list shows just get repetitive. They create new weird list categories specifically because it's repetitive.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Don't forget Lootcrate, holy poo poo that is some depressing ad copy. It's transparently for morons that don't care what they spend money on, need a friendship simulator, and/or are so desperate for some kind of excitement that they will settle for the "excitement" of getting garbage in the mail.

Lots of people love collecting things, LootCrate and other services like that cater to those kinds of people. To you it's garbage, to them it's cool toys and poo poo they like.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sarcasm is the last refuge of a weak mind.

Maybe he should've been more direct. You are a weirdo and you sound bitter. It must suck for you that she gets to be surrounded by very talented people and you live the neckbeardy goon life of commenting on other's success. Also you're untalented.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

looooooooool oh yeah he`s that guy in the Tig documentary who had the wife that was gonna be Tig`s surrogate

I'm so embarrassed! A mentally ill person on the internet?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there anything worthwhile on Howl? I signed up the day of the announcement because I love earwolf but after burning through a few originals and some Maron stuff, I got tired of the lovely app and lack of original content. I feel like they've stopped talking about it during the ad segments, plus they still haven't made the old eps paywalled yet so....

Everything that was worthwhile was available at launch, maybe it'll get better but until they improve the app I'll just keep buying shirts.

As for podcast app recommendations, I dig BeyondPod, mostly because it worked with Google Reader and now Feedly. It makes it easy to re-download only the shows/episodes that you haven't listened to after upgrading or formatting your phone.

Also has anyone actually tried out Seeso? I tried to stream the UCB show last night and was getting all kinds of artifacts and stutters, didn't have any trouble playing netflix or any other streaming services. What's with all comedy based services running like poo poo?

The audio was alright so I kept watching. Overall the UCB show is hit or miss, but much like any comedy show not everything is going to be gold, lots of really funny stuff.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 11, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

For anyone keeping up with Spont, have any recent ones been exceptional? It's hard keeping up with that one, when it's mostly a stable cast of players with no week to week changes aside from the special guest.

In return, I'll tell you which episodes of Womp it Up have been good recently. The Job Daly one. That is all.

I'm nearly caught up on SPONT, I didn't like it initially due to the longer narrative format. It's hard to improvise a long cohesive story like that, especially when everyone gets confused about what's going on. But I really feel like it's been awesome for a while, Paul and the regulars are getting better at it every episode. Especially the ones with Matt Gourley and the rest of the Super Ego crew (when they're all confused it just gets funnier).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

:siren: WILD HORSES BACK ON WSP :siren:

It's basically them as the Kimmy Schmidt Mole Women but without the apocalypse part. Probably my favorite WH episode yet.

What is WSP?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the Wild Horses I4H episodes. I love all of them individually, but every scene with them all on I4H goes to an over-the-top place very quickly or is a super slow burn that doesn't work well with the I4H format.

I loved this episode, I can't get enough of them. I loved the police bit.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Then what would this thread be about?

Funny podcasts.

Howl also has like a hundred comedy albums up, so it might be a better deal than you'd think. If you likeistrning to comedy albums.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I like I was there too specifically because you get to see "normal" people's perspective on the whole hollywood thing. It feels very inside/old school hollywood to me, so hearing anything about the making of ET was alright in my book. I really enjoyed the Spielberg guy too, lots of really cool inside info/perspective.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 10, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

padijun posted:

I would subscribe to seeso in a second for the UCB show and bajillion dollar properties, but the player is still wet garbage

I was going back and forth with their support over the lag and stuttering I get only from their website (netflix, hulu and every other streaming service had no issues). They just stopped communicating with me and didn't even offer a refund since their stupid site doesn't work. I wish comedians would learn to quit partnering with people/companies that don't know how to make poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I'm glad I read a post like this before subscribing. I can't believe how bad these proprietary comedy things keep ending up.

The apps tend to work alright for streaming, but as everyone else said, the apps and even the website have a horrible UI. Every time you visit the page or open the app you have to login, unlike every other loving app and website on the planet. The playlist functionality is a joke, you can't re-arrange anything and any time you reach the end of your playlist they play something random. They don't even show air dates or episode numbers so there's no way to know what the gently caress you're watching. There's also no way to tell if anything is new or already been watched.

I'm still subscribed but only because I want more UCB show and I'm waiting for Harmonquest, I hate supporting the platform but I want the performers to keep being able to make poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Puella Magissima posted:

Please tell me you're referring to her Kim Cattrall impression.

I hear she loves loving.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tacier posted:

Lol at Matt Besser on the latest live I4H talking about Bernie Sanders like he's a fringe joke candidate. He's reacting to a recorded interview with a Sanders supporter who wasn't the most articulate, but who expressed his belief that health care and higher education should be rights and that campaign finance reform was important. Besser then turns back to the audience and is like "Oh my GOD, what a loving moron...am I right??" and is met with complete stony silence. Is he really so out of touch that he doesn't realize a majority of his young UCB audience are likely strong Sanders supporters?

Very weird, people cheered after the recording, he definitely misread the reaction to the interview. I'm surprised all the improvisers just rolled with his interpretation, I'm guessing they probably didn't want to start a debate on a comedy podcast? An argument probably doesn't lend itself to good improv. The whole scene didn't even end up being about Bernie vs Hilary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I actually did like it until he called him in to give advice. It seemed like he was just having him on to spite the people who didn't like him as much as Besser thought they should.

Besser has this attitude about his own opinions that I just plain don't like, and hearing those opinions met with confusion, or better yet negativity or silence, is a pretty decent source of entertainment for me.

I think he really liked the guy and valued his opinion. I think he wanted to give him a platform to talk because he liked him so much.

I don't mind Besser's opinions, I just think he's pretty dismissive of others opinions, he's a contrarian with strong opinions, what do you expect?