Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lugaloco posted:

Holy poo poo that What's Bother You? segment was loving dark. I'm glad Besser brings up poo poo like this and tries to make something out of it because it really highlights what monsters some people really are underneath. Every time a clip from the documentary played I was loving furious, those people shouldn't be allowed to even be near kids never mind have their own.

I'm going for a run to burn off the anger because sweet christ those jurors :stare:

It was horrifying but I completely saw the humor in everything they were saying. The jurors and teacher had such an absurd perspective and the only rational thing to do was laugh about it.

I've lived in the south, midwest, and west coast and it's always cracked me up how people on the coast think it's any different. There are terrible people everywhere, and it's just a matter of how comfortable they feel about expressing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

In the past I've rolled my eyes when comedians on podcasts talk about civilians, but man call ins are usually so terrible. I guess it's just an unfortunate fusion of unfunny people and internet accessibility.

Someone how Sean and Hayes are the perfect podcast duo for me. I never get tired of them and they never break their act beyond small laugh breaks. I can listen to multiple episodes and it's like canoeing on a funny podcast river.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I was debating buying a 3ds and the new Pokemon game, then I heard Besser's and Meadows' reaction to the Pokemon girl. It gave me the reality check I needed.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Hmm, I thought the Pokemon person sounded awesome and Besser and Meadows were just being old dudes. I may be on the wrong side of this, but I'll let history decide.

All it took was the question of why? I had no answer better than her's and I do enough things to waste my time.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Gotta get Bono on Hollywood Handbook. They can give him directions to the Scotts.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Tacier posted:

I hate reality shows so I always figured I wouldn't enjoy The Reality Show Show. Now I just started listening and I cannot believe how wrong I was.

Really should've been the tagline for the show.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

ArtVandelay posted:

Everything about Jessica St Clair is amazing.

One of my favorite things about these episodes is the exploration of how narrow St Clair's life experience is. It's hilarious.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Besser should show up on every insecure former UCB performer's podcast.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I wish Reality Show Show existed for I Wanna Marry Harry. This is all so terrible and I need Sean and Hayes on it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Hollywood Handbook has had a lot of great moments, but Teen Pope has probably made me laugh more than anything else this year. I can't even listen to it at the gym because it cracks me up every time.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I think in some interview they did they said RSS was basically way too much effort since they'd have to watch a ton of reality TV every week just to get enough material for like a 40 minute podcast (Plus we were the only ones actually listening to it)

That makes sense, but now I whenever I do watch reality tv I imagine their opinions on it. It's both a curse and blessing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

kidsam posted:

it's up!

I squealed.

Actually it sounded more like Enrico Colantoni in Galaxy Quest.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

The caveman scene on this week's I4H was the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

When they went into the premise I was prepared to be annoyed but it turns into magic so quickly.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

"He lives in a world without any books?" is a perfect moment for Hollywood Handbook.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

manyak posted:

lmao yeah

I kept waiting for Besser to make his turn but nope he just liked the guy.

It is funny that you can tell when the other improvisers don't necessarily agree with Besser when he goes off on things like that, but they respect the guy too much to argue.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Hollis Brown posted:

I think if I grew up with crap like this around the house I would end up a weirdo too. It's just the way he is.

I've listened to that episode multiple times and never looked that up. It's much more sinister than I pictured which makes it that much better.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

cams posted:

gently caress, this is really awful. Way back when I first started listening to Comedy Death Ray Radio, Harris was one of the first guys I really latched on to and got really into as a comedian. His issues with this stuff really strike me deep and I cannot say enough about how terrible it is tha
nm worth it

I'm in the same boat. Harris was a guy I immediately related to. Unsurprisingly I've also been to rehab, but hey at least I didn't relapse and upgrade to heroin. Hopefully he gets real control over himself again, he's only 30.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 20, 2014

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I think in Serial they should've broken that guy out of prison so at least there'd be a payoff.

If they had taken the last few episodes into a wild fantasy of breaking him out and escaping to Mexico it would have been much more memorable.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Trujillo posted:

Think she also said Detroit, the blackest city in America, had no black people.

That's the only episode I've listened to and that was hilarious.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

There's ads on something like five shows at the beginning of the episodes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Have any of the other improvisers ever argued politics with Besser on his show? I understand why they usually just let him do his thing or halfheartedly agree

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I really hope they do a live show with video of Bitch Sesh. They're amazement, admiration, and and shock about the Housewives would carry wonderfully.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Why hasn't Andy Richter done Hollywood Handbook?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

I also enjoy Bitch Sesh. The first episode I listened to was the one where they read the email chain between those parents re: photos for teacher appreciation day and somehow I lucked into the episode where Casey talks about making GBS threads herself as my 2nd episode.

e: Episodes 21 & 22 are the making GBS threads episodes, 23 is the email chain, for anyone who wants some good jumping off points.

Yeah the email chain is what introduced me to the show and it's a great episode to start with.

I love Bitch Sesh, but my girlfriend and I like to get drunk and marathon bad reality shows like Housewives every once in awhile so the show is very comfortable for me to get into.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

BTW that newer With Special Guest with some Wild Horses is great, if you're​ like me and skip eps.

I read Wild Horses stuck in space in the description and knew it was going to be good.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 25, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

That original trilogy will never be topped IMO, but the format is great and I'm glad he's going back to it. Plus, Gabrus Jessica McKenna and Eugene Cordero, it'd be impossible to not be funny.

Gabrus and McKenna are the best and I'm glad Besser recognizes it. Cordero's cool too but I love those two every time.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Finished both eps of Off Book. Even if it doesn't have another good episode those are real pro listens.

Off Book sold itself so well with those first two.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

The $3 I spent for a year is worth it. Beyond that I dunno there are a lot of podcasts.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Re: the high and mighty power hour thanksgiving ep: the more I think about it the more pissed I am about those two drunk idiots falling over each other to scream credit at each other for inventing a popular podcast that's existed for years

Thanks for reminding me about them. They fell out of my rotation and they are good.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

drat, Brandon Wardell is incredibly obnoxious on Who Charted.

Just looking at pictures of him and I know this guy has to suck.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I've relistened to the Mopes trilogy on improv4humans recently and I just listened to the Off Book with Jon Gabrus. If Gabrus and McKenna aren't involved with some one season ensemble comedy I'm going to be very disappointed in the world. I'm not asking for much here.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

My cheap year just expired and they got me. The Sticher app sucks but I'm used to it and I listen to enough of the premium content to not feel horrible about it. Old episodes of improv4humans are a huge go to for me too.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Fezz posted:

He got really real on last week's Wompler podcast during Listler's Love Lockdown about an older couple waiting to have kids and then having trouble conceiving. That part of the show has really evolved to serious heartfelt advice from ridiculous characters.

Jessica's surprise at his insights was legit hilarious.

I honestly have mixed feelings about the Lockdown segment. I appreciate it and they want to do it. They do it well and with open hearts. But the listeners they pick are depressing as hell sometimes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

anotherone posted:

for three people who are clearly very smart they're a pack of dummies

It's interesting seeing the gaps in other people's experience and knowledge. Also really frustrating sometimes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

It hit me recently how long I've been listening to some of these shows and these comedians. I recently listened to the I4H episode that was Drew Tarver and Mary Holland's debut on the show. Besser introduces them as being funny members of UCB halrod teams.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I'm very pro Jameela Jamil showing up in every Earwolf podcast.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Off-Books with Scott Auckerman, PFT and the HH boys should make for very easy listens if you like their shows.

Tawny Newsome and Nicole Parker episodes too for good intro shows.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay HH fans, I find I have room for another podcast in my life and I'm wanting to give "the boys" a real chance to win me over (I listened to one or two episodes once about 4-5 years ago, had mixed feelings but I mostly enjoy them on Doughboys/CBB). It seems like there's a lot of inside jokes and lore involved, so I'd rather not jump around and cherry-pick episodes. I'm in no rush to catch up. Is there a certain point where the podcast starts getting "good", or should I just start from episode 1?

There's really not a ton of lore it's just getting used to the tone of the podcast. And they've changed a few times over the years and dropped a lot of what was there in the beginning. I'd say cherry picking is fine with guests you like. The Doughboys and Scott episodes are always great, Sinbad is a classic older episode, and then the Jameela Jamil and Kate Miccui episodes were in the last few months and a lot of fun. Any episodes that focus on the engineers or Earwolf staff are about all you need for a lot of the inside jokes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

2018 was a solid year for HH, so really any ep will be good. The only “lore” you need is that a here are Pro version episodes, so you may miss references to jokes in that.

Just pick a year and a guest that you like and listen to that. Jump around. Listen to new episodes as they come out, as they tend to be more “topical” now (ie, they did a parody of Bandersnatch last week).

It’s more important to get a feel for the show rather than following continuity.

Yeah 2018 was a great year for HH. They know what they like doing at this point and they do it really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

drat Hollywood Handbook had a pretty terrific 2018.