Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«458 »
1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

My 5 year old would cry out and scream hysterically like someone was just beating the poo poo out of her. Let me tell you, that hasn't gotten any less terrifying in the 3 years since she started having terrors.

My son is almost 21 months and his night terrors just started. His are more that shrill 'oh poo poo I am alone' type of wail. They are just so sad and break my heart. I am secretly pleased they aren't murder shrieks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

How do night terrors manifest for a toddler? Is it just (haha, "just") inconsolable crying or is there something unique to it?

My mother-in-law gets something like that and it's extremely unsettling. In the middle of the night she'll start screaming in a high-pitched voice helllp meeeeee!!! over and over again without waking up.

It's bad enough to hear an adult do that when both you and she know she's safe. I really don't look forward to the same experience with a small child.

He came out of it and went back to sleep so thatís good, but itís basically thrashing and screaming. They will do this for up to a half hour sometimes and not respond to parents attempts at comforting, can hurt themselves too. Basically we only go in there to make sure he doesnít hurt himself because thereís nothing we can do about it or for him.

Itís like a waking nightmare, except nightmares are in REM sleep and night terrors are in non-REM and happen about an hour and a half after they go to sleep. So they will even seem awake and open their eyes and look right at you but not actually be aware that youíre there. They arenít supposed to remember anything in the morning, but if you wake them up during it they will be really confused and have a hard time going back to sleep so you wait it out. Itís the scariest and worst thing weíve gone through with him. Our kiddo threw things tonight, both his pacifiers he just flung in the air. Then he just came out of it and looked at us like, ďOh hey, what are you guys doing in here? Not that I mind...Ē This was his second episode and it was worse than the first. Still didnít see it coming tonight even though he refused a nap and has been sleeping like poo poo the past month. Can be brought on by stress or depression or lack of sleep, ours is most definitely that last thing. Sucks because he just seems allergic to sleep lately and weíve tried so many things, so I am surprised that I was surprised it happened again tonight. It sucks horribly to watch your kid go through it and know you canít do poo poo about it, you feel really bad for them but all you can do is keep them from hurting themselves and then they just wake up and donít even know it happened. Your kid may or may not ever have night terrors I think? Apparently itís a smaller fraction of kids that get them and can sometimes run in the family, if so my wife is the main factor there. So I donít think itís like an inevitable thing for kids to experience it, we just happen to have a kid who is somewhat prone to them. Edit: from what weíve read and observed, they are really asleep during this and since they donít remember, who knows gently caress all of what they see during this. Broke my heart tonight to imagine how we looked to him as he had night terrors and we stood over his bed trying to comfort him to no avail.

What also sucks is that I was this close to getting laid tonight and now nope, that poo poo is a mood killer

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 31, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

poo poo, that sounds absolutely terrifying on at least two or three levels. I hope it works out for all of you. And that it doesn't run in the family. My wife is fine at least.

and good luck next time on the sex-having

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My older one had a couple episodes of that when he was a toddler. The other terrifying thing is you worry there's something physically wrong with them and question if you should take them to the ER.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's the sleep deprivation. Same thing happens when you go through military training - they deliberately keep you so worn out and leaving sleep that your brain starts to short circuit, which makes it easier to engrain whatever training you're doing and modify behavior.

Sleep deprivation is also traditionally used for cult indoctrination, brainwashing, and interrogation/torture. Much the same thing, really.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I mean, sleep deprivation in the military can be used in training, but in my experience itís purely per case. One example would be the US Armyís Ranger School, where the intentionally deprive trainees of sleep and send them on patrol to gauge their decision-making under battle conditions and whether or not they can even make coherent decisions when deprived of sleep and lives are on the line. Infantry officers are by and large expected to attend Ranger School and get tabbed, NCOs and anyone else can attend but mostly I havenít heard of lower-enlisted troops going (maybe E-4 or anyone of whom leadership and responsibility is expected). Overall my experience in the Army was one where even in Basic they gave ample opportunity to sleep because long days of training and physical activity were ahead. All in all, itís not so much they think youíll learn to make decisions because no one is absolutely at their mental best with little or no sleep, but in a sense, lots of things that are trained into troops by repetition can be easily repeated without a lot of complex thought, even when they havenít had enough sleep. It all just goes back to, train how you fight, and when in battle youíre not always going to get the sleep you need but youíve still got to function as needed.

BUD/S in the Navy is similar, theyíre trying to break new recruits and weed out people who simply canít handle the stress to push through, moreso than theyíre trying to gauge decision-making under sleep deprivation (I donít have experience with SEALs or the Navy, just from what Iíve read).

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2020

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My son today (paraphrasing since heís 2): Oh I had night terrors last night? Sucks for yíall, let me show you how much I care about sleeping by taking a nap that barely stretches to an hour the very next day

Like, my thumb is hovering over a button that would order some melatonin

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Just buy the goddamn melatonin.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

My 10 year old was a sassy jerk all day and promptly passed out at 7:30 after being sent to his room to read a book (after losing video game privileges)

And yet here I am, composing an email to the social worker, asking about a 13 year old boy that needs a home. Am I stupid? Does yelling at sassy jerks fill some unearthly demonic need within me??

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

Iím lucky enough that I donít think my kid has night terrors but man has his sleeping and eating been poo poo since the move.

He pretty much only eats fruit, unless I make pizza-then heíll eat three slices without batting an eye.

His sleep-heís back to waking up once or twice a night and demanding we go down and feed him whatever he wants. We have into that the first few nights because he was stressed from the move but tonight is the first night weíre putting our foot down. God drat I hate it. Pretty sure heís not even hungry-itís just comforting to him.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: Ours (also 18 months) is having some sort of sleep regression, or whatever you want to call it. I suppose it's related to starting pre-school/daycare last week. Some evenings, she flat-out refuses to go to stay in bed after her goodnight storybook. It devolves into a wrestling match where she gets more and more upset, and if I break it up and let her go back out of the bedroom, she just wants to keep playing with her toys or looking through books. (She's too tired, though, so keeps falling over/hurting herself and rubbing her eyes trying to stay awake...) Eventually she gives up but it takes an hour and a half past her normal bedtime. Really sucks the energy out of us when every day has to end on a sour note. I really hope this is over once she gets used to the new daytime environment! Yesterday was fine, but the other nights this past week have been p/ horrible.

Wow, has it been five weeks already?

Yesterday something seems to have clicked. If it's in me or her, I don't know. We suddenly went from "no, I refuse to lay down and sleep after the bedtime story" to "Oh, the story is over? I guess I'll lay down on my back and wait for sleep now."
She's done this for bedtime yesterday and today, and today's nap. No wrestling and only a single demand for a drink of water! From 2-hour bedtime to 30 minutes, overnight. Hoping it's a trend...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 1, 2020

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wow, has it been five weeks already?

Yesterday something seems to have clicked. If it's in me or her, I don't know. We suddenly went from "no, I refuse to lay down and sleep after the bedtime story" to "Oh, the story is over? I guess I'll lay down on my back and wait for sleep now."
She's done this for bedtime yesterday and today, and today's nap. No wrestling and only a single demand for a drink of water! From 2-hour bedtime to 30 minutes, overnight. Hoping it's a trend...

Well done, rejoice!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I give up. I donít understand why the gently caress I canít get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I get that breast rejection is a thing sometimes but my 5 month old now wont even latch on the right side for my wife. Even the sight of the bare cursed titty from a distance makes him yell like Goku powering up until she puts it away. No trouble at all with the left.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

life is killing me posted:

I give up. I don’t understand why the gently caress I can’t get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

That is a pretty standard young kid thing for a lot of kids.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kecske posted:

I get that breast rejection is a thing sometimes but my 5 month old now wont even latch on the right side for my wife. Even the sight of the bare cursed titty from a distance makes him yell like Goku powering up until she puts it away. No trouble at all with the left.

I think that's about the age one of my sisters was when she stopped nursing. No idea if it was accompanied by screaming at the sight of the boob, though.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It seemed like my 12mo old was weaning from her two daytime feeds a couple weeks ago. Now, at 13mo Iím suddenly having to deal with her reaching into my shirt and trying to nurse all the time, and throwing tantrums when I donít let her. Iíll offer her food/cow milk/water snacks at those times, but she usually rejects them. Eating and growing fine otherwise.

Where did this come from? Is it just that she figured out how to access The Boob without it being offered and is now testing that boundary? I donít intend on returning to a newborn nursing schedule right now, but this is exhausting. I feel like I canít pick her up or sit on the floor to play without causing a meltdown. And even if I were going to nurse her on demand, sheís gotta learn that dragging a boob out of a crewneck shirt via the nipple is NOT OK. Any suggestions for dealing with this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I give up. I donít understand why the gently caress I canít get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

friend you consistently seem to expect your child to operate by rules of reason and logic which is never gonna happen. your kid is not a rational actor. being a kid is hard, they aren't doing this to spite you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How are you guys deciding when it's going to be safe to send kids back to school / daycare? How am I supposed to make a decision about risk to my family? I'm scared as hell because the schools are going to be huge infection vectors and there's nothing I can see to prevent it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

MAMAMOO STAN

Dinosaur Gum

I kinda expect that virtual learning well into the fall. I'm in the same boat in that I don't know when to send my kids back to school. I'm so worried about the second wave of this virus.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

How are you guys deciding when it's going to be safe to send kids back to school / daycare? How am I supposed to make a decision about risk to my family? I'm scared as hell because the schools are going to be huge infection vectors and there's nothing I can see to prevent it.

We didn't have a choice in the matter. But despite us living in one of the hardest hit places, there's only been one positive cast at the daycare, a teacher who self quarantined and didn't spread it into the building.

I mean, I wouldn't send my kid to school if I could avoid it for as long as possible. But eventually real life gets in the way and you may not have a choice. And at that point, as long as the school is doing the best that it can, what else can you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

HEY LITTLE SIDNEY WANT TO SEE MY CANNOLI?

Basically you have to decide if youíre ok with sending them back or waiting a year or more until thereís a vaccine.

«458 »