Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Anyone have experience with "baby-led weaning" for introducing solids? Our baby is six months and starting to look at our food with interest, so we figure it's time. We like the idea of baby-led weaning because we don't have to get any particular "baby food" and can just feed him bits of whatever we're already eating. But we're not sure how to start and are concerned about allergies, since he's got sensitive skin and maybe has already been reacting to something I'm eating through breastmilk. Any advice for how to start on solids? Is it a bad idea to feed him eggs right away to figure out if he's allergic to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone have experience with "baby-led weaning" for introducing solids? Our baby is six months and starting to look at our food with interest, so we figure it's time. We like the idea of baby-led weaning because we don't have to get any particular "baby food" and can just feed him bits of whatever we're already eating. But we're not sure how to start and are concerned about allergies, since he's got sensitive skin and maybe has already been reacting to something I'm eating through breastmilk. Any advice for how to start on solids? Is it a bad idea to feed him eggs right away to figure out if he's allergic to them?

I think the main guideline for starting solids is to try a new food for about three days at a time before moving to the next, to allow you to pinpoint the problem if there is a reaction.

I really liked the book Baby Led Feeding by Jenna Helwig- she had a chill approach and good meal guidelines and ideas. We did a mixed approach. Some meals were purees, some were solids. We did introduce eggs, pb, and dairy products all by 6-7 mos, but we also weren’t dealing with skin issues. Our kid is now 14 mos and eating basically anything we put in front of her (usually the same dinner as us)- heavily spiced, lots of textures, no reactions. Frankly, BLW is pretty messy and sometimes we didn’t have the bandwidth after work to deal with messy solids/making sure she had enough to eat, and the purees can be convenient and healthy, especially in those early exportation stages.

At the beginning, our kid would only eat a few teaspoons of puree, or like, two beans at most. It’s easy to worry, but they grow into eating and are learning this whole time. The nutrition isn’t the point right now! Also, like a lot of the parent resources out there, I think a lot of BLW groups are too extreme and weirdly demonize purees. Your kid will learn to eat! It might take a while and that’s ok. They’ll move at their pace- you can’t really force the adaptation, and that’s a really good point that BLW makes. (But blogs will make you feel like your kid should be eating avocado with a smile and freshly steamed organic whatever and what’s wrong with you????)

It’s also ok to not feel compelled to make your own baby food and prepare special menus for them while they’re learning- sometimes life is busy and you can’t handle hosing the ikea high chair off yet again.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

boquiabierta posted:

We did that and it worked great. I will ask my wife about specific resources that she looked up but basically we started giving our kid pureed solids at each meal around 6 months. Eggs were okay too, just make sure you scramble them well or check that the yolk is fully cooked if you do hard-boiled. Like the other guy said, you want to stick to simple stuff and do the same food a couple days in a row to monitor for reactions or allergies. Initially we were making our own puree but honestly the food pouches that are a little healthier and thicker than the store brands are worth the splurge if you can swing it for the saved labor and time alone (we get those Plum ones in either the mighty veggie or protein & fiber variants).

By 8 or 9 months the kid was bored with purees, so we shifted to diced or chopped up portions of whenever we were eating, assuming that it wasn't too spicy and didn't have anything that was a high allergy risk. Worked great for us, my son eats a ton of food and is generally not too picky -although we're going through some meal time frustrations right now as he gets closer to two. We still supplement with a pouch if he doesn't eat a lot or is extra hungry, which is often because he's a hefty freaking child.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

boquiabierta posted:

I did it with both my kids. Never did purées. Just gave them long spears of things they could hold - I think the general rule was if they could pick it up they could put it in their mouths. So strips of steak, asparagus spears, sweet potato ‘fries’. Basically whatever we were having for dinner that was low salt and could be made into a long strip. We did eggs and rice and oatmeal not first, but not long afterwards. Peanut butter as well - kids love to dip, so we would put a glob of it and let them dip. I believe the current recommendation is early and often for allergens unless you have a counter-indication.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

boquiabierta posted:

We started with scrambled eggs because her pediatrician said to. And giving her small amounts of peanut butter every couple of days (also told to). She loves scrambled eggs with cheese and has it for breakfast every weekend (currently 20 months old). She doesn't get any peanut butter at daycare because it's a no peanut zone, but I give her PB&J on the weekends sometimes for lunch.

As far as BLW, I just used to hand her large, soft stuff, like a banana. That kid could tear up some bananas in the early days. Which was really awesome too because when we would go grocery shopping, Kroger & Giant Eagle have free fruit out for kids and a banana would keep her occupied.

I would get big blocks of cheddar and colby jack cheese and cut them into tiny cubes. And blocks of ham & turkey and tiny cube it too. One of the few times we went out to dinner while she was smaller, my husband let her try some couscous and she went bonkers for it. So much so that she put her mouth onto the adult sized plate and started shoveling it her mouth. After that husband would make batches of it for her at home. I think that's when wanting real food switch flipped. Trying to think of other things we used to do but can't really remember.

Even now at 20 months we know she won't eat certain things that we eat. We always offer it again, but have a backup ready. She's at daycare during the week for breakfast, lunch, and snack. They enter what they give her and how much she ate of it in their app, so I have a good idea daily on how her taste buds are changing that I can go back and reference, so that's pretty cool.

Edit: Just went back through photos and saw we gave her mashed potatoes a lot, that's a fun one to offer. And quesadillas! Used to give her a big slice of quesadilla to gnaw on. She loved that. Didn't each much of any of it at first, it will get all over the place. I highly recommend an easy to clean high chair!

Enjoying a banana at the grocery store. She always refused to sit in the cart like a normal kid. I would be pushing the cart and see tons of kids her age sitting normally and wonder what I was doing wrong. She just likes to be comfortable in her own way, I guess.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2020

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My kid loves them, but cleaning up cottage cheese or long grain rice is kind of my hell.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got home from our beach vacation this afternoon, which meant that it was time for the annual minivan vacuum. It only took two hours to get everything in decent shape and that was with weathertech mats through the entire thing.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Re: BLW, it's what we did more or less, but be aware there is some woo science around on mommy blogs and such. You aren't hurting your kids giving purees or by cutting food into smaller pieces as they get a pincer grip. That said, we took the feeding littles infant and toddler courses and it was very helpful, not just on what to feed but on structuring meals and food exposure in general to try and minimize picky eating as they age.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

marchantia posted:

Re: BLW, it's what we did more or less, but be aware there is some woo science around on mommy blogs and such. You aren't hurting your kids giving purees or by cutting food into smaller pieces as they get a pincer grip. That said, we took the feeding littles infant and toddler courses and it was very helpful, not just on what to feed but on structuring meals and food exposure in general to try and minimize picky eating as they age.

dirty epic
Feb 26, 2018
Like many six year olds, my kid is obsessed with Minecraft. We've got a time limiter set up so that she gets an hour on it every day, then it locks her off the xbox. We've had this in place for a few weeks now, since things started to get a bit more normal in relation to covid lockdowns in our area.

Even though kiddo knows that she gets an hour then it's time to go do something else, the meltdowns she has when her time runs out are truly epic. She cries until she's red in the face, shakes her hands around, sometimes she stamps her feet on the ground or does all of the above while hiding under a blanket. I've tried to use calming down exercises with her with limited success, sometimes she tells me that she doesn't want to calm down. I get that she's not old enough to really be much good at moderating her own emotions at this stage of life, so I don't get upset at her for reacting the way she does, but it's still kinda disturbing how intensely she reacts to this. Is this one of those things that you just have to wait for them to grow out of?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dirty epic posted:

video games meltdowns. Is this one of those things that you just have to wait for them to grow out of?

when my oldest plays games i'll ask her if she wants to play for 30, 45 or 60 minutes (whatever amounts we're comfortable with her playing that day), and she decides on one of the options and she tells our echo to set a timer for that time.

when it goes off, i'll ask her to shut it off. if she resists, i'll give her the option to shut it off now, or she can have another 2-5 more minutes to finish up whatever plan she was working on. if she wants more time she sets another timer.

after that time is up i tell her to shut it off, or I'm shutting it off in 10 seconds, then i slowly start counting to 10. i don't engage in arguments/pleading, just slowly count to 10 and then turn off the game.

she'll shut it off in her own 30% of the time in the first alarm, 30% on the second, and 30% before i reach 10. the remaining 10% of the times is me shutting it off, and that leads to tears, and sometimes meltdowns...

giving her options, and making it her decision on how long to play has cut down on meltdowns so much. she really responds well when it's her responsibility instead of something we impose.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I can reiterate giving them options even with my 3 year old- it really helps to give them at least the illusion of agency.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So my kid has learned to say no but he doesn’t know what it means.

Everything we ask him he just replies with “no” even when it’s something we know he wants. It’s great when he starts having a huge fit.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yeah, that seems like a good strategy, also try giving a 10 min and 5 min warning when time is almost up. Kids like being in control so if you can involve them in setting up the timer and pressing start and all that sometimes it can help. There are some fun timer apps that are visual so they can check to see how much time is remaining. Time is a hard concept still at six.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Me: You have two choices- you can either get dressed and we will have time to stop by somewhere fun before we go to daycare or you can keep running away and we wont be able to do anything fun and go straight to daycare.
Boy: Get dressed.
Me: Ok

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nwin posted:

So my kid has learned to say no but he doesn’t know what it means.

Everything we ask him he just replies with “no” even when it’s something we know he wants. It’s great when he starts having a huge fit.

We had the same thing. Eventually we learned to stop asking her questions that we wouldn't accept a "no" answer to.

My completely untrained armchair psychology explanation is that since kids have no theory of mind and think only in terms of themselves, "yes" is later to develop than "no" because it's the default. They don't need to say "yes" to indicate they're happy with something and want it to continue, they just assume everyone is on board with what they want. The only time they need to communicate their opinion is when it's negative.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 7 year old likes to spend the day wearing only his minecraft underwear. I bought him more so he'd at least wear a clean pair every day. If he wants to go in the backyard, fine, but he needs at lest pants for the front yard.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Four days back in daycare and the 1 year old already has a snot nose and someone in my wife's small 10 person office has tested positive for Covid. My nightmare starts.....

...now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wizzardstaff posted:

We had the same thing. Eventually we learned to stop asking her questions that we wouldn't accept a "no" answer to.

My completely untrained armchair psychology explanation is that since kids have no theory of mind and think only in terms of themselves, "yes" is later to develop than "no" because it's the default. They don't need to say "yes" to indicate they're happy with something and want it to continue, they just assume everyone is on board with what they want. The only time they need to communicate their opinion is when it's negative.

That’s a good idea.

He’s also started gnawing on his hand/fingers while watching tv. Drool everywhere. It’s disgusting

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
1st day back at daycare, things feel kinda weird

kinda worried that when they reconfigured the classes they put him in a younger class than he should be in but I guess we leave it up to them to evaluate whether he can be moved up later or not. I think their usual class mixes are all out of sorts

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

dirty epic posted:

Like many six year olds, my kid is obsessed with Minecraft. We've got a time limiter set up so that she gets an hour on it every day, then it locks her off the xbox. We've had this in place for a few weeks now, since things started to get a bit more normal in relation to covid lockdowns in our area.

Even though kiddo knows that she gets an hour then it's time to go do something else, the meltdowns she has when her time runs out are truly epic. She cries until she's red in the face, shakes her hands around, sometimes she stamps her feet on the ground or does all of the above while hiding under a blanket. I've tried to use calming down exercises with her with limited success, sometimes she tells me that she doesn't want to calm down. I get that she's not old enough to really be much good at moderating her own emotions at this stage of life, so I don't get upset at her for reacting the way she does, but it's still kinda disturbing how intensely she reacts to this. Is this one of those things that you just have to wait for them to grow out of?

Just an opinion here: a straight hour of screen staring seems kinda long.

I give my 5 year old 2-4 half hour periods per day, and personally give her time notices at 10, 5 and 1, and let her tie things up toward the end. She gets all grouchy when watching too much TV or playing games for too long, doesn't want to do anything.

Minecraft is a game designed to be endless, so you may need to collaborate with your kid on an endgame loop.

Every kid/parent dynamic is different, though. If your kid is really focused on the game, maybe help her develop a goal getting into the game, and when she meets that goal, she can play for a little bit longer if she wants, then transition out by keeping a journal about what she wants to do next, sketch it out, etc.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Levitate posted:

1st day back at daycare, things feel kinda weird

kinda worried that when they reconfigured the classes they put him in a younger class than he should be in but I guess we leave it up to them to evaluate whether he can be moved up later or not. I think their usual class mixes are all out of sorts

Our daycare is out of sorts, daughter is only 20 months and has been in the toddler room with the 2 year olds since May. They say she's doing great, and she likes to be around the older kids and interacts with them more. When she was in with the younger kids she didn't interact with them much and just wanted to be alone. I do worry about her though, because they have access to chairs in the toddler room. We don't let her have her play chair here very often because she's a maniac. She stands up on it every chance she gets and tries to put her back foot on the back of the chair and lean the chair and surf.

My kid is bonkers. She never sits still, she is always on the go if she's awake. When everyone here talks about how they read to their kids I'm like HOW are you sitting down and reading to your kids, mine will not sit still and listen to me read poo poo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah our kid has always been in a class up for the most part and might get bored being an older kid in the class...but we'll see how it goes. Hopefully they still have the flexibility to make changes if its obvious he needs to move up

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

boquiabierta posted:

Yeah we did this, and kind of still do (he's almost 2 now). He just eats whatever we do, haven't prepared 'baby food' or mush/puree once for him. His first solid food was liver and onion, he loved it. happily devours all kinds of 'adult food' like steaks, roasts of all kinds, burger patties, strong cheeses, salami, any kind of vegetable cooked in butter or fat etc
When they have no teeth just make sure you give them small enough pieces to gum and swallow

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Sarah posted:

When everyone here talks about how they read to their kids I'm like HOW are you sitting down and reading to your kids, mine will not sit still and listen to me read poo poo.

My 19 month old brings me books to read to him but is a page flipping maniac so now I only read what I have a chance to see before the page is turned. So his stories now follow some variant of:

"My hat is gone" "YOU! YOU STOLE MY HAT" "I love my hat" "The end!".
"5 little bugs" "The end!"
"Tucked in a hideyhole under the the stair..." "NO, not a bit!" "The end!"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone have experience with a camera for preschoolers? I'd like to encourage my 4yo with some back yard photography but kids' cameras look like low quality garbage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyone have experience with a camera for preschoolers? I'd like to encourage my 4yo with some back yard photography but kids' cameras look like low quality garbage.

Man they are straighttttt garbage. What we ended up doing was give our kid a leftover Nokia Lumia Windows phone and she loving *loves* it. It was an old thing that can be had for $24 on eBay but it's miles above any of the "kid cameras."

She's loved photography for years now so one day I hope to get a decent camera, but she also loves doing selfie vids like she has her own YT channel (she does not watch YouTube though) so the phone format has ended up just perfect.

And we're actually gonna drop $75 or so and get a better Lumia on eBay for her to use that. They had great little cameras in them.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Should teenager have snapchat on phone

I say no, but a quick bit of back and forth some people say maybe

I still say no

Discuss to my benefit

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hhhat posted:

Should teenager have snapchat on phone

I say no, but a quick bit of back and forth some people say maybe

I still say no

Discuss to my benefit

What do you think is happening on Snapchat that isn't happening on other apps?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

marchantia posted:

What do you think is happening on Snapchat that isn't happening on other apps?

The kid doesn't have any social media presence, just texting... so it would be a watershed.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

hhhat posted:

The kid doesn't have any social media presence, just texting... so it would be a watershed.

I don't think there's much you can do on snapchat you can't do in a group text, besides like turn yourself into a dog or whatever other filters snapchat has. OTOH I've watched Eighth Grade and it was terrifying.

My school district in Texas is going with you can send your kids if you want, or you can have them be remote, but the remote learning is them on a zoom call for the entire school day. Which is 7:45 to 3. My kid's going into PK4 in the fall and I can't get her to sit for like a 15 minute call let alone 7 hours a day. Really looking forward to it. I'd pull her out, but she's in a lottery school so I'm concerned I'll lose her spot for kindergarten.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hhhat posted:

How old are they? I personally think it's unreasonable to keep kids from using social media because they'll end up getting on it behind your back or when they eventually leave the house and you will have lost the opportunity to provide guidance and perspective on what is good or appropriate social media/internet behavior. It's a very abstinence-only approach to something that the majority of kids will eventually be using, for better or worse.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sleep training update:

It has been going great. 5 days in and she did nice long naps today and 20 minutes to go down to bed tonight at 7:00 pm. This means my wife is also now getting some sleep. Everyone is happy. That is all.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

marchantia posted:

How old are they? I personally think it's unreasonable to keep kids from using social media because they'll end up getting on it behind your back or when they eventually leave the house and you will have lost the opportunity to provide guidance and perspective on what is good or appropriate social media/internet behavior. It's a very abstinence-only approach to something that the majority of kids will eventually be using, for better or worse.

13. As a computer person I have a lockdown on what they can do behind my back. I just dunno about letting them into social media *yet* ... feels too young

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
One of my ~20 months cried himself unconscious. That freaked out my wife quite a bit. Reason for tantrum: was told it was time to go inside.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

hhhat posted:

13. As a computer person I have a lockdown on what they can do behind my back. I just dunno about letting them into social media *yet* ... feels too young

My 13 year old has a snapchat. She doesn't really use it much. All of her interacting with friends is over discord, for the most part. She has a facebook just to be able to share pictures with my dad, but is otherwise uninterested in it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gvibes posted:

One of my ~20 months cried himself unconscious. That freaked out my wife quite a bit. Reason for tantrum: was told it was time to go inside.

lol kids are so loving dumb

mine cried himself hoarse last week. Absolute heart-rending wails of despair for 20 minutes all the way from our house to the pediatrician. Reason: rejected his request to drive the car

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

UnkleBoB posted:

My 13 year old has a snapchat. She doesn't really use it much. All of her interacting with friends is over discord, for the most part. She has a facebook just to be able to share pictures with my dad, but is otherwise uninterested in it.

How do you police it, or do you?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

I don't know how you could give any reasonable oversight that wouldn't eventually be abandoned, circumvented, or lead to loss of trust.

Having talks and maybe some "walkthroughs" about what to expect and watch out for beforehand would be the best option maybe.

Unfortunately you have no idea what they are really going to encounter out there- its probobly going to be hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Being here for 20 years has given me a pretty good idea of what kind of hosed up poo poo you can find online

Youre not wrong, still I'm not compelled to let a 13 year old snapchat just yet. They can get on some games and friend people from real life only, so there's some freedom there. Snapchat just has that extra layer of 'nobody will find out what I did' on it. I dunno

Nobody's giving me a solid reason