Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Any advice on dealing with a toddler in a cast? My ~21 month old slipped this morning at daycare and twisted his knee - he's in a temporary cast for at least week, at which point they'll do another x-ray to see if he needs it for 3-5 additional weeks.

He was pretty upset this morning and throughout the doctor visit but otherwise seems fine now. We'll be following the instructions carefully to hopefully stave off any further problems. Mostly I'm just worried that it will stunt his physical growth and/or his energy - he's a really active kid and not being able to run around with his friends at daycare or at home like he usually does seems like it could be damaging in a lot of ways.

It’ll go fast and he will bounce right back.

Sarah posted:

I pretty much did it cold turkey. When she woke up I would turn her white noise / light machine on and it has a 20 min timer. Rock her until it was off, then put her in bed. If she slept, yay! If she cried, I let her cry for no more than 21 min. If she was still crying, rinse repeat. Never took more than 2 cycles. Took a few nights for her to figure it out. I was cranky and slightly sleep deprived for a few days.

We did it cold turkey as well around 11 months. Solid food at 5-5:30ish, bed time routine, bed at 6:30ish, and then no food until 7-7:30am. We started after the 9 month regression. At 13 months we do 3 bottles a day and 3 meals. Bottles come after naps and breakfast.

We went by this schedule and it made things much easier I’m sure there’s something similar for your situation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son was in a cast rather youngish, for a while (severed some tendons in his ankle in an accident, that required surgical repair), and he got over it real quick like. He figured out how to run on the thing, and while we tried to keep him mostly settled, he still ended up wearing the bottom off the foot of the cast before they took it off.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Well, we're in a bit of a pickle. My husband's a tall dude that sits with the driver's seat all the way back and a bit reclined. We have #2 coming late fall, and for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to get 2 car seats rear-facing side by side in a way that doesn't interfere with his seat. Just running a tape measure across the back seat, even the skinniest Dionos will overlap a bit (2015 Outback). I'm not super comfortable forward facing the 33 lb 2 year old just yet, we even got the 50 lb limit RF seats to keep him there longer. I miiiiiight be ok if he's closer to the standard 40 lbs come winter to FF just for daycare pickup/dropoff. Any longer trips would make me nervous. It's that or buy a 3 row SUV/minivan.

Thoughts?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

2DEG posted:

Well, we're in a bit of a pickle. My husband's a tall dude that sits with the driver's seat all the way back and a bit reclined. We have #2 coming late fall, and for the life of me, I can't figure out a way to get 2 car seats rear-facing side by side in a way that doesn't interfere with his seat. Just running a tape measure across the back seat, even the skinniest Dionos will overlap a bit (2015 Outback). I'm not super comfortable forward facing the 33 lb 2 year old just yet, we even got the 50 lb limit RF seats to keep him there longer. I miiiiiight be ok if he's closer to the standard 40 lbs come winter to FF just for daycare pickup/dropoff. Any longer trips would make me nervous. It's that or buy a 3 row SUV/minivan.

Thoughts?

Have you tried the Graco Snuglock 35? It was the only carseat I could get that would fit behind my seat. We have twins and I drive a Mazda CX-5 so there isn't a ton of room in the back seat but I needed one that would fit behind me. I'm also 6'1" so I'm tall but not that tall, so it might not work for your husband if he's any taller. Still I'd give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet. The manager at my Target let me take the floor model outside to my car to see if it would fit before I bought it, maybe you could do something similar.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 5, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

2DEG posted:

Thoughts?

Does he absolutely 100% have to sit with the seat like that. Is there a meet in the middle option where he makes himself a little uncomfortable?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

Have you tried the Graco Snuglock 35? It was the only carseat I could get that would fit behind my seat. We have twins and I drive a Mazda CX-5 so there isn't a ton of room in the back seat but I needed one that would fit behind me. I'm also 6'1" so I'm tall but not that tall, so it might not work for your husband if he's any taller. Still I'd give it a shot if you haven't tried it yet. The manager at my Target let me take the floor model outside to my car to see if it would fit before I bought it, maybe you could do something similar.

Oh, I forgot to mention that we do have a preference for convertible seats, but I'll pitch the idea of an infant seat as well. Husband is 6'4", and we went with convertible for #1 because he couldn't carry an infant car seat and walk with his cane without smashing his bad leg. But I suppose it wouldn't matter if we plunk it in the center and never take it out. Would have to reach over the toddler, but he could probably make that work.

I'm not confident stores will let us try out car seats right now here in FL, but things may cool down in a couple of months. You know, before they get way way worse again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

2DEG posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention that we do have a preference for convertible seats, but I'll pitch the idea of an infant seat as well. Husband is 6'4", and we went with convertible for #1 because he couldn't carry an infant car seat and walk with his cane without smashing his bad leg. But I suppose it wouldn't matter if we plunk it in the center and never take it out. Would have to reach over the toddler, but he could probably make that work.

I'm not confident stores will let us try out car seats right now here in FL, but things may cool down in a couple of months. You know, before they get way way worse again.

Ah well his bad leg probably answers my above question.

Honestly I'd probably look at starting to get a new car? Even after the car seat phase, that seems like it could be dangerous for whomever is riding directly behind dad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Disregarding other factors, buying a new car so a 2yo can face rear seems like an extreme measure.

I feel sorry for people with twins who probably have to buy a $40k vehicle just to have space for two pumpkin seats. Or, y'know, have to ride the bus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I’m tall too and it really sucks, we had enough space between kids that they were already in the forward facing but even with forward facing behind my seat I have to put it forward to a less than comfortable spot.

I will be so happy when I can ditch all the carseats and booster seats in.. 10 years or so :negative:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need to start collecting wfh tips while managing a baby. My inlaws have been helping out with the babysitting during the day, but they're apparently taking 2-3 weeks of vacation this fall in Octoberish and are going to fly like 4 times and see a shitton of people in several states who are all traveling and going to a huge wedding??????

So I now need to plan for watching the kid while working for at least 4-5 weeks so they can quarantine the hell away from us when they get back. I'm trying to talk my work into letting me take the rest of my paternity leave then, but I don't know if I can given our workload so I will almost certainly be wfh and only baby care person for a long time. Even if I get to take my remaining leave I will need at least 1-2 weeks of baby and work overlapping.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Disregarding other factors, buying a new car so a 2yo can face rear seems like an extreme measure.

I feel sorry for people with twins who probably have to buy a $40k vehicle just to have space for two pumpkin seats. Or, y'know, have to ride the bus.

Yeah, it was kind of tongue-in-cheek. Like, it would have to be unworkably bad to come to that. Hoping to put that off until they're teenagers when we'll really need all the room we can get. Oh god I just realized I'll have to feed two 6'+ teens, halp.

BonoMan posted:

Ah well his bad leg probably answers my above question.

Honestly I'd probably look at starting to get a new car? Even after the car seat phase, that seems like it could be dangerous for whomever is riding directly behind dad.

Yep, he has to keep it more or less straight or be in pretty bad pain after a while. On long road trips, he'll sit in the back seat (if we can fit doggo in the trunk) and prop it on the center console. We still do long road trips for camping and visiting family at least twice a year (at least, we did before Covid), so being able to figure out a comfortable seating arrangement for that will seriously factor into it.

Thanks Mind_Taker for the infant seat suggestion. For some reason I'd just completely blanked on those. I realize it's kind of a unique situation where there's not a lot of wiggle room :dadjoke:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think my daughter is getting a little too confident. I mean, I want her to grow up a decisive person, but I can't leave her alone for five minutes before she is punching holes in my boxes for a rocket ship or rummaging through the house crafting bugs. I'm spending a fortune on googly eyes and brass fasteners for her interstellar paper and tissue creature army.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I bought an Audi A8L to solve this problem and my wife and I are 5’8 or under.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well it's not a simple as that really. I mean he is tall, he has leg issues, having a second kid means a poo poo load more stuff on trips than just the second car seat. We upgraded just to be able to carry trip stuff for a family of four.

I mean we didn't flex to an 80k car but...

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

I need to start collecting wfh tips while managing a baby. My inlaws have been helping out with the babysitting during the day, but they're apparently taking 2-3 weeks of vacation this fall in Octoberish and are going to fly like 4 times and see a shitton of people in several states who are all traveling and going to a huge wedding??????

So I now need to plan for watching the kid while working for at least 4-5 weeks so they can quarantine the hell away from us when they get back. I'm trying to talk my work into letting me take the rest of my paternity leave then, but I don't know if I can given our workload so I will almost certainly be wfh and only baby care person for a long time. Even if I get to take my remaining leave I will need at least 1-2 weeks of baby and work overlapping.

How much flex do you have in your hours? I ended up working late evenings and into the night a lot when we were under lockdown for a month and a half with no daycare, but that was already with splitting the day with my husband also WFH, and it was exhausting tbqh. Do you have a spouse that can cover evenings and on their day/s off and you get some hours in that way?

It'll also depend on how old baby is. If they're not yet mobile, it should be much easier to plunk them in a playpen near your workstation to keep an eye on them than, say, watching your toddler like a hawk at all times because they are out to actively kill themselves.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I watch the kids for an hour in the morning, and 2 hours over lunch, and work until around 8pm. 3x a week that kiddo time is spent doing preschool (circle time, worksheets, crafts). My wife doesn't work currently but was extremely pregnant which is time consuming in its own way. I also enforce a 45min bedroom quiet time for the kids followed by an episode of TV for each, so that gives my wife like 3-4 hours while I squeeze in an 8 hour day.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Well it's not a simple as that really. I mean he is tall, he has leg issues, having a second kid means a poo poo load more stuff on trips than just the second car seat. We upgraded just to be able to carry trip stuff for a family of four.

I mean we didn't flex to an 80k car but...

Fake rich flex with a used one. Ours was $14k. Craigslist pays off sometimes.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

2DEG posted:

How much flex do you have in your hours? I ended up working late evenings and into the night a lot when we were under lockdown for a month and a half with no daycare, but that was already with splitting the day with my husband also WFH, and it was exhausting tbqh. Do you have a spouse that can cover evenings and on their day/s off and you get some hours in that way?

It'll also depend on how old baby is. If they're not yet mobile, it should be much easier to plunk them in a playpen near your workstation to keep an eye on them than, say, watching your toddler like a hawk at all times because they are out to actively kill themselves.

Not a ton of flexibility? The kid will be 5 months old when this happens. My wife will be home by 4pm in the afternoon, but I have a lot of stuff I have to be available for when my coworkers are available, so I can't only work when I have help at home. I could probably move ~3 hours a day of my work into the evenings or nights without losing productivity.

The other wrinkle is that I have to go into the office still usually for 3-6 hours a week at least to work with the equipment we can't take home, so that may cause the biggest headaches with all of this. I can do some of that at off-hours, but definitely not all of that since it's based on machine availability more than people availability.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

willroc7 posted:

Fake rich flex with a used one. Ours was $14k. Craigslist pays off sometimes.

:gently caress yeah:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

passenger seat is basically all the way back here. Had that massive radian rear facing for over a year as well and it still had plenty of room. I swear it’s the ultimate family car if you have 2 kids or fewer.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I'd do an infant seat even if you don't end up detaching it to take inside. It'll buy you some time for the older kid to get bigger/older before forward facing. The extra cost sucks but compared to buying a new car, it's small potatoes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

willroc7 posted:

passenger seat is basically all the way back here. Had that massive radian rear facing for over a year as well and it still had plenty of room. I swear it’s the ultimate family car if you have 2 kids or fewer.

They look reclined back but no way are they actually moved back (on the glide rails) right?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

They look reclined back but no way are they actually moved back (on the glide rails) right?

Laughing forever in 42.9” rear legroom.

Edit: A lexus LS is probably a more sensible choice but I have a raging boner for Audi's Quattro AWD and I live in a snowy climate. If you go this route, make sure you get one with extensive maintenance records, preferably from a private seller. Deferred maintenance will obliterate your wallet if you aren't careful or are simply unlucky.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 5, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jesus! And they are pretty affordable used too (none in my area but just skimming around).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tall significant other chat: My husband is 6 1/2 feet tall. His current car has been the ONLY car he's been able to sit upright and not have to hunch to look out the windshield. It's a Jeep Renegade. Downside is it has a shallow backseat so we're playing the carseat game too. I broke down and bought another Diono because it worked well with the first kid (with the angle adjuster) The latest model can rear face up to 50lbs! You can't rear face with the angle adjustor until they're a little bigger, but the bucket seat until then is probably going to be your best bet. The nice thing about bucket seats is if you have multiple cars, its much cheaper to have one seat and multiple bases.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Back when Toys R Us was a thing, I went and tried literally every car seat in the back of a VW Eos (lol) to find the smallest. It was the Chicco Keyfit 30, by like a lot. Your mileage may vary, but it’s also not a very expensive seat and might get you bridged over the 2-RF gap for another year.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

cailleask posted:

Back when Toys R Us was a thing, I went and tried literally every car seat in the back of a VW Eos (lol) to find the smallest. It was the Chicco Keyfit 30, by like a lot. Your mileage may vary, but it’s also not a very expensive seat and might get you bridged over the 2-RF gap for another year.

We actually used a keyfit 30 in the center rear for the infant stage. Great seat!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Having 3 kids now makes me wish we did get a minivan, the extra seats and sliding doors would be so useful. I have a 7 seater crossover and the far back seats are fine for kids in a booster but still a huge pain to get to especially with a carseat on the rear passenger side, the only side that flips forward. The oldest will now scramble in through the rear liftgate as the 3rd row splits, and he likes having a nice row to himself. But it’s not really convenient.

Hoping there are good options for plugin electric minivans when I need to get something new in 3-4 years.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm about to have my first kid and I have a 2006 toyota camry which I've kept in good condition, car seat's looking good thankfully.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Minivans may not be cool but they are good. Of course my wife drives the minivan on a daily basis and I have a much more fun RWD car to drive so I don’t have much to complain about. There’s no way I can fit all three carseats/boosters in the back of mine but if there’s a scenario where I need to drive them all we just swap cars.

The 8 person capacity will be handy when we get to the point of bringing friends along places or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Minivans may not be cool but they are good. Of course my wife drives the minivan on a daily basis and I have a much more fun RWD car to drive so I don’t have much to complain about. There’s no way I can fit all three carseats/boosters in the back of mine but if there’s a scenario where I need to drive them all we just swap cars.

The 8 person capacity will be handy when we get to the point of bringing friends along places or whatever.

Yah definitely, the practicality can’t be beat!

I hate that some dealerships have amazing deals on totally non practical fun cars these days dammit wait til the kids move out (haha I’ll be dead then)

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Minivans are super cool! Do what my parents did and give your kid the minivan for their high school car (after totalling the honda). It's got a great sound system, can fit all of your stupid friends, cops don't even see minivans, perfect for hot boxing, take out the seats in the back and it's basically a studio apartment, great for tailgating and drive-in movies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Minivans are super cool! Do what my parents did and give your kid the minivan for their high school car (after totalling the honda). It's got a great sound system, can fit all of your stupid friends, cops don't even see minivans, perfect for hot boxing, take out the seats in the back and it's basically a studio apartment, great for tailgating and drive-in movies.

Yeah my brother got the minivan for his car back in the early 90s. Threw some speakers in the back, blasted DJ Magic Mike endlessly as he and his friends drove around town on Friday nights. It was awesome.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is me we are about to have a third and I don’t want to get rid of my X3 :( the X5 third row option isn’t going to work. I like the Escalade but it’s not a BMW. Maybe I’ll just let my wife get a mini van and get an m3 I guess.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PerniciousKnid posted:

We used and still use a Yaris, I am 6'2". I moved the drivers seat forward a notch, it was a little uncomfortable. I also figured out that the back seats could be reclined even more so they had more leg room. Now they are almost 7 and sit on boosters, much easier.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
drat, y'all are making me feel like a bad parent. I'm 6'2" and drive a Mazda 6. Kiddo was fine in the middle until #2 came along, and the only viable option was to set her front facing behind me and the infant seat in the passenger side.

She's almost 3, but still has room to go before she's at the upper limit of rear-facing weight capacity.

She's still rear-facing in Mom's Forester, though. Only had to move the seat up like 1" for that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm hoping that it'll be my turn to get a new(er) car in a year or so. I had a 2008 Kia and I traded it in last year for....a 2008 Corrolla! I'm waiting for my husband's car to be paid off before we take on another car payment. I'm starting to grapple with the fact that I'll have to give up my little zippy cars and get either a mini van or SUV. Even with my husband's jeep, we can't fit a 3rd adult in the car. His car also doesn't have a lot of extra space. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but my next vehicle will need to be a 3 row. It seems like SUV's get better gas mileage than minivans. The Kia Sorentos look kinda neat. It seems like the last row folds down and just makes a bigger trunk when not in use and its not too expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Euros somehow manage to cart their kids around in like Ford Fiestas and poo poo, somehow having kids gives Americans car brain worms

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Americans just have fat asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
yeah I mean what do you need legroom for in a car it's not like having full control of your legs is important for driving