Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Euros somehow manage to cart their kids around in like Ford Fiestas and poo poo, somehow having kids gives Americans car brain worms

Euro car markets also focus a lot more on having a variety of small cars with practical interiors, unlike the US market which jettisons small hatches and compact sedan models every chance it gets, and only really keeps them around as the budget option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

DaveSauce posted:

drat, y'all are making me feel like a bad parent. I'm 6'2" and drive a Mazda 6. Kiddo was fine in the middle until #2 came along, and the only viable option was to set her front facing behind me and the infant seat in the passenger side.

She's almost 3, but still has room to go before she's at the upper limit of rear-facing weight capacity.

She's still rear-facing in Mom's Forester, though. Only had to move the seat up like 1" for that.

Nah, you're fine. Everyone talking about upgrading to an SUV or getting a massive car for 2 car seats is being absurd because

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

somehow having kids gives Americans car brain worms

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Nah, you're fine. Everyone talking about upgrading to an SUV or getting a massive car for 2 car seats is being absurd because

Its cool how if my sister in law wants to come to the park with us we have to take two cars because a third adult can't physically sit in the back seat between two car seats even though its supposed to be a 5-seater car and none of us are fat.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
It's absolutely fine to get a minivan with minimun 0 kids if you want to. You can fit so much poo poo in them it's insane. They have hybrid ones too if that's your bugaboo about them, soon it will be battery powered. After that the singularity happens and you can become one with your mvan.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Its cool how if my sister in law wants to come to the park with us we have to take two cars because a third adult can't physically sit in the back seat between two car seats even though its supposed to be a 5-seater car and none of us are fat.

Or what about if you want to take a week long vacation? Fitting car seats in a car isn't a problem. It's the boatloads of poo poo that comes along with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Alterian posted:

this is a good reason to spend 40 thousand american dollars, yes

BadSamaritan posted:

Euro car markets also focus a lot more on having a variety of small cars with practical interiors, unlike the US market which jettisons small hatches and compact sedan models every chance it gets, and only really keeps them around as the budget option.

the Fiesta was the same in both markets when it was on offer! euros are just different about cars and kids.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is a good reason to spend 40 thousand american dollars, yes

the Fiesta was the same in both markets when it was on offer! euros are just different about cars and kids.

Kia Sorentos aren't even close to that in price. Used 3 rows can also be reasonable.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Waterbed Wendy posted:

It's absolutely fine to get a minivan with minimun 0 kids if you want to. You can fit so much poo poo in them it's insane. They have hybrid ones too if that's your bugaboo about them, soon it will be battery powered. After that the singularity happens and you can become one with your mvan.

My coworker uses his old minivan as the beater car to go to Home Depot with. Pretty brilliant idea.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Euros somehow manage to cart their kids around in like Ford Fiestas and poo poo, somehow having kids gives Americans car brain worms

Eh we're not entirely immune, we've had a two door ford fiesta for a good few years and it's worked pretty well with two kids. However we did recently "upgrade" to a four door ford focus because A: twisting yourself into the back seats to sort the kids out sucks, and B: we needed a bigger boot/trunk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We've squeezed 5 people into the Yaris before, my SO got in through the front and between the seats and squeezed herself between the two car seats so (usually) her mother could sit in front.

It happens very rarely and is less an issue now when we've quit using car seats. Just not worth buying a new car for, we're gonna run this one until it just dies from wear and/or breaks down too much to be worth fixing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Super Slash posted:

Eh we're not entirely immune, we've had a two door ford fiesta for a good few years and it's worked pretty well with two kids. However we did recently "upgrade" to a four door ford focus because A: twisting yourself into the back seats to sort the kids out sucks, and B: we needed a bigger boot/trunk.

I like the idea of the Focus as the "big car" when the :911: in this thread are talking about stuff that is like, 20" longer, being Too Small

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like the idea of the Focus as the "big car" when the :911: in this thread are talking about stuff that is like, 20" longer, being Too Small

We have a (smaller, earlier model) Focus and are happy with it but it is definitely a pain in the butt with rear facing seats and my family tops out at 5’10”. We don’t want to get a new car, but would like something of a similar size that better prioritizes rear legroom.

Of course, Ford is no longer making Focuses or Fiestas in the US, so it’s not like it’ll be an option once this one goes.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Joy, both the twins have picked up a cold/runny nose thing at preschool. One of them climbed into bed with us at 3am, poor guy.

This is the first full week of school for all three kids, so I’m sure everyone will be a disaster this evening. Hey kids, family movie night!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
For 4 months during lockdown the kids were perfectly snot free. Then the first week back... boom... instant snot noses for the both of them. It's been over a month and it's just PERPETUAL SNOT NOSES

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kid is excited because for the first time since I started working again, as he's having several evenings and mornings in a row to himself because I'm working, and partner is out of town. Usually, even if we both have to work, partner is home by 7 am, and doesn't have to work at all on weekends. I was that teenager, who stayed up all night playing video games given even half a chance, so I knew well enough to tell him "Just because you can stay up, doesn't mean you should" but I know he's going to be dead to the world tomorrow.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Did anyone else's kid have a huge spike in interest in the family pet as they reached toddlerhood? Ours has always been interested in the cats since before she could sit up straight, and we gradually acclimated them to each other. For a while she was at a point where she could be trusted to gently pet them for several strokes before they moved away.

But now some internal switch has flipped and she's just krazy for kitties. She barrels toward them and screams, going through any obstacles like she's on American Ninja Warrior and the prize at the end is a handful of cat fur.

Does she just have a bad case of Being (Almost) Two Years Old?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

What do Euros do about 3 children?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

bomb posted:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wizzardstaff posted:

Did anyone else's kid have a huge spike in interest in the family pet as they reached toddlerhood? Ours has always been interested in the cats since before she could sit up straight, and we gradually acclimated them to each other. For a while she was at a point where she could be trusted to gently pet them for several strokes before they moved away.

But now some internal switch has flipped and she's just krazy for kitties. She barrels toward them and screams, going through any obstacles like she's on American Ninja Warrior and the prize at the end is a handful of cat fur.

kids love animals

hope that helps

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

bomb posted:

I have 3 kids in a Skoda Fabia. Not comfortable but it works.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bomb posted:

Ok Hans time to get into the trailer!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bomb posted:

Station wagons are very common here. Full size ones to more compact ones. Likely our next car, whenever that will be, will be a station wagon of some kind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We would probably be buying a 5 series wagon (used) if they had still sold them here in the US in the last 15 years

BMW makes a 3 series wagon, but it's so narrow

Probably going to end up with a 10 year old RX 350 which is basically a station wagon with a 4" lift kit and reasonable towing capacity

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

wizzardstaff posted:

I took in a stray cat exactly one year ago today that had two kittens outside my house. The mama cat has really grown to love my daughter (who is turning two in October). She is a constant presence and wants love and affection 24/7. Cat tries desperately for attention from her. Daughter sometimes will pet her, but usually ignores her.

We have another cat that is a massive chonk. Daughter can not get enough of him. And he is scared to death of her. This started maybe 3 months ago. She belly flop hugged him (he weighs more than she does, he was fine) and we have been slowly trying to undo his fear.

There are 2 other cats that don’t come around her at all (we spend most of the day in a play room that has a gate the cats can jump over if they want to come in). We think she only wants to harass the big guy because he wants absolutely nothing to do with her but comes around because he’s attached to me.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

wizzardstaff posted:

Our toddler used to love our cat and now she alternates between yelling/swiping at her and running after her yelling COME HERE.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What are car seat sizes like in Europe compared to America? I got the smallest seat at Babies r Us, and if I had it rear facing behind the driver seat I'd be steering my midsize sedan with my nipples.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All our kids have grown up with cats and dogs (who have always been incredibly tolerant of kids and no “dangerous” breeds) and we’ve really instilled into them to be respectful of the animals space and to let the animals come to them. Never had a bite or scratch incident except for an accident where a kid’s hand was just resting on the cat tower and the cat ran up the tower and gave her a bit of a claw from a back foot launch.

We would always have introductory interactions when everyone was calm and relaxed and even a little bit sleepy - after the dogs ate their evening meal was a great time because they were chill. Just gentle pats on the side while they were lying down. The most important thing is always give the animal an avenue to just leave if they feel stressed. No using the dogs as pillows or trying to ride them!

I have a niece who is obsessively dog crazy and has been nipped a few times because she just overwhelms the dog and tries to get it to stay while she is lavishing it with attention. Just too aggro. We put our dogs away when they visit, more for their sake. I am pretty confident they would not nip her (although I would break it up before it got to that point) but she obviously just stresses them out with her weird manic animal obsessive energy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are car seat sizes like in Europe compared to America? I got the smallest seat at Babies r Us, and if I had it rear facing behind the driver seat I'd be steering my midsize sedan with my nipples.

I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for, so here's a page full of infant seats sold in Sweden, sorted by popularity in that shop:
https://www.babyv.se/sv/articles/61/babyskydd?sort=9

Infant seats are rarely big enough to cause discomfort to the person in front, even in a compact car.

In contrast, here are rear facing toddler seats (which are mandatory here until the kid's head starts sticking out by more than 1/3rd, usually around 5 years of age).
(That's not actually mandated by law, it's just written in every instruction manual, recommended at drivers' ed and by insurance companies, and written out in bold text by the retailers...)

https://www.babyv.se/sv/articles/8/bakatvanda-bilstolar-upp-till-25-kg

I can sit fairly comfortably in front of one of those in a station wagon like WV Passat or a Saab 9-3. In a VW Polo, I wouldn't even try but I think it would work out alright in the long Golf model.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

I had a small car and I'm tall (5'10") as is my husband (6'1") and I kept our son rear facing in my tiny car until he was almost four and never had any issues.

There are a huge variety and sizes of car seats in the US too and you can almost certainly find one that works for your car.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Can anyone recommend a good brand or line of sippy cups?

My nearly 2 yo drinks only water or milk. For water, I don't care if she spills much and just use some cheap ones from Target. But for Milk, I want to avoid drips and spills all over my carpet. I'm looking for something that is at least semi-translucent, chew proof, and leak proof. With the cups I do have at the moment, the little beaver chews the nubs off and they start leaking. Just shameful.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I miss my wagon, it was a great car. Enough room to fit 2x4s in the back which was very handy. Sadly I hit a deer last October, fixed it up myself, and then the turbo started making bad noises.

Tons of room for family trips with the first kid, and way faster than it had any right to be. Unfortunately when you have twins your vehicle priorities change, but even so I managed to upgrade to a RWD Genesis G80. So far it’s also a good car, the auto hold feature is especially nice in the school drop off line.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cocks Cable posted:

NUK First essentials with the hard spout.

I believe they have a valve on the inside to prevent should but we've long list ours. Our four year old still rocks his for his morning milk.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cocks Cable posted:

My nearly 2 yo drinks only water or milk. For water, I don't care if she spills much and just use some cheap ones from Target. But for Milk, I want to avoid drips and spills all over my carpet. I'm looking for something that is at least semi-translucent, chew proof, and leak proof. With the cups I do have at the moment, the little beaver chews the nubs off and they start leaking. Just shameful.

Nothing we've tried is truly leak proof. Best luck we've had is with the Munchkin 360 cups:

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-2pk-miracle-360-trainer-cup-7oz/-/A-54256964

They come in a larger size as well and you can get them pretty much anywhere. They don't drip as a matter of course like other cups we've tried, but if you drop them they will splash a bit. Relatively easy to clean, too.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 9, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DaveSauce posted:

Nothing we've tried is truly leak proof. Best luck we've had is with the Munchkin 360 cups:

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-2pk-miracle-360-trainer-cup-7oz/-/A-54256964

They come in a larger size as well and you can get them pretty much anywhere. They don't drip as a matter of course like other cups we've tried, but if you drop them they will leak. Relatively easy to clean, too.

We use those too. They work pretty well, but yeah-when our son drops it from his high chair, you do get some leaks.

Don’t be like us-know that the silicon top comes apart from the plastic for easy cleaning. We didn’t realize that the first few weeks. Luckily we were only giving him water at that time.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

nwin posted:

We use those too. They work pretty well, but yeah-when our son drops it from his high chair, you do get some leaks.

Don’t be like us-know that the silicon top comes apart from the plastic for easy cleaning. We didn’t realize that the first few weeks. Luckily we were only giving him water at that time.

Also there's a removable gasket ring after the threads on the outside that seals the top against the lip of the cup.

We seriously did not know this for almost 2 years until one came off and we were trying to figure out where the hell it came from.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DaveSauce posted:

Also there's a removable gasket ring after the threads on the outside that seals the top against the lip of the cup.

We seriously did not know this for almost 2 years until one came off and we were trying to figure out where the hell it came from.

...gently caress. Time to see what gunk lies underneath that.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
+1 for the Munchkin 360 cups. They also make fine "regular" cups if you screw the top off.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

wizzardstaff posted:

+1 for the Munchkin 360 cups. They also make fine "regular" cups if you screw the top off.

If you use them for milk, the o rings get nasty after a few repeated uses.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We use cheapo parents choice brand straw cups for milk and water in the high chair, she has a camelbak for whenever water, mostly because she became obsessed with drinking out of mine (mine is still better, obvs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Apologies if this topic has been done recently, but I didn't come across anything in the last few pages. I've got a pair of preschoolers staying home during the pandemic and I'm looking to add a bit of structure and learning to their days. I'm not fixated on academics, I think general socialization and development is more important at this age, but right now it's just "dad goes into his office on weekdays and comes out to check in now and then and the nanny plays play-doh with us and cooks lunch and takes us to the park." I'd like to add just a few chunks of preschool-ish activities to that. I... gently caress, I should have a clearer request here, but honestly I'm kinda worn out single-parenting it, and I hope y'all can forgive me for the vague cry for help: How can I do better at this? Anyone found short streaming preschool lessons that kids engage with? Should I not be worrying about it? In general they're eating well and getting activity and they have each other to play with, so it's not bad, but I want to give them exciting introductions to bugs and outer space and whatnot, and age-appropriate practice with letters and numbers, the kinds of stuff they used to get in preschool.