Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Steely Dad posted:

vague cry for help

my oldest has loved khan academy kids app. we have her tablet set to 30-60 minutes depending on the day. would 100% recommend for preschool aged. and just generally kids books you and nanny read to them.

but really get them some water colors and crayons and a heap of blocks. preschoolers are developing their fine and gross motor skills preparing them for things like writing, and wiping their own butts.

and schedule their days, with outside times, art time, reading time, app time, free play time. part of developing socially is developing the skills to work and learn within a schedule.

in the end give yourself and your kids some grace; no one is being their best selves during this, and your kids won't be ruined if they have one weird year without formal preschool. you're thinking about it, and trying, and that's going to be enough.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DaveSauce posted:

Nothing we've tried is truly leak proof. Best luck we've had is with the Munchkin 360 cups:

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-2pk-miracle-360-trainer-cup-7oz/-/A-54256964

singing this praise too.

one caveat is if you're kid bites the cup while they drink the silicone will crack in the edge, and once that happens the seal is broken and it just leaks, and you'll need a new lid.

also the oring is easily removed with a butter knife for cleaning.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 11, 2020

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

preschool.

There is a preschool teacher from Virginia that is doing a virtual preschool that our daughter is gobbling up. Comes with little downloadable packet of activity for each day grouped around a theme.

https://playtolearnpreschool.us/

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Steely Dad posted:

Anyone found short streaming preschool lessons that kids engage with?
We've been doing a few lessons here and there on outschool for our 4 year old with moderate success. The investment is low so you can try them and see if they work for your situation. Sorry I can't be more help with your question in general. Good luck.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Ok, time for "Are we overreacting?"

Last time daycare had a Covid case, they shut down for just over a week to clean and required everyone to have proof of a negative test to come back. Great! This is what I expect, even though it sucked for a bit.

This time, they're doing jack and poo poo. Just the positive person is under quarantine. No shut down, no tests required, even for the kids with direct exposure. I don't see how this is good policy; even though patient 0 is out, what about the kids they exposed? They're still around, possibly continuing the spread. Plus, they tend to consolidate the kids at the end of the day as they get picked up, so even if it happens in another age group, there's still a risk he'll be exposed.

We're pulling our son out for the week, but also probably for good from this place. Found another place with spots available that has separate classrooms and actually has a policy to close down any room with a positive case for 10 days. It's way more expensive, but so is a loving ICU stay.

I'm pregnant and my husband has a not great immune system, that level of risk is just too much for us. Are we overreacting?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

2DEG posted:

I'm pregnant and my husband has a not great immune system, that level of risk is just too much for us. Are we overreacting?

Nope.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

2DEG posted:

Hell no you aren't

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

2DEG posted:

Ok, time for "Are we overreacting?"

Last time daycare had a Covid case, they shut down for just over a week to clean and required everyone to have proof of a negative test to come back. Great! This is what I expect, even though it sucked for a bit.

This time, they're doing jack and poo poo. Just the positive person is under quarantine. No shut down, no tests required, even for the kids with direct exposure. I don't see how this is good policy; even though patient 0 is out, what about the kids they exposed? They're still around, possibly continuing the spread. Plus, they tend to consolidate the kids at the end of the day as they get picked up, so even if it happens in another age group, there's still a risk he'll be exposed.

We're pulling our son out for the week, but also probably for good from this place. Found another place with spots available that has separate classrooms and actually has a policy to close down any room with a positive case for 10 days. It's way more expensive, but so is a loving ICU stay.

Not overreacting in the least.

It appears transmissibility peaks before symptoms arrive. You have to assume that everyone else in contact with the infected person is also infected. You literally can’t know otherwise unless tested! Also it is spread mainly through droplets and the air, not really contaminated surfaces.

Think of your life in 1 year. Is the frustration and extra money now offset by knowing you avoided potential COVID? Or to look at it the other way, if you or your kid or husband get COVID will you feel better having saved the time/money? Not shaming those who do, but if you have the means I’d avoid COVID at all costs.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2020

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Thanks guys. It's been a real mindfuck lately, people are really blase about this and it's making me feel like a hypochondriac. On the other hand, I can't fault the families still coming in because for a lot of them it's that or miss rent, and it's horrible because they're the ones who are going to end up screwed the most by this lovely policy if they get sick. We're in FL, btw, so the risk of daycares seeing more cases is still very real, especially as schools reopen and after-care programs start up. Our county schools are planned to be all online for now, but who knows how that'll go after the first month.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Re preschool at home: this is a resource our nanny uses - it has little schedules all the way down to one year olds. They only spend a few hours on it which sounds like what you are looking for. It's not free, but if you are planning to be in for the long haul (we are!) it might be worth the investment.

1-2 yrs

2-3 yrs

3-4 yrs

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Does anyone have a tips for how to put a baby down for sleep when he only wants to be held? The longest sleep we've got our 1 week old Lenny to have in his cot is 30 mins! Unfortunately it's too hot to swaddle him up in blankets. Help! I'm terrified that I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and we'll still be stuck like this, which will not make for fun times for any of us.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Does anyone have a tips for how to put a baby down for sleep when he only wants to be held? The longest sleep we've got our 1 week old Lenny to have in his cot is 30 mins! Unfortunately it's too hot to swaddle him up in blankets. Help! I'm terrified that I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and we'll still be stuck like this, which will not make for fun times for any of us.

They're not really sleep trainable that early. Just be consistent, and never let him fall asleep on you if at all possible. Always set him down when he gets drowsy. In 6 to 40 weeks from now it might stick and he will sleep on his own!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There are some cooler fabric swaddle options that use velcro to get a nice tight swaddle instead of a lot of fabrics, those worked wonders for us.

Also whatever the replacement for those auto rocking cots are, our youngest loved those before they got recalled just when she grew out of them. With the music and vibration feature they were really great, I assume a safer solution is on the market now..

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Cheers guys. I suspect we might just have to ride it out! I think we're just spoiled because number 1 would just chill happily wherever we put him down, and would self settle to sleep no problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Cheers guys. I suspect we might just have to ride it out! I think we're just spoiled because number 1 would just chill happily wherever we put him down, and would self settle to sleep no problem.

Yeah our number 1 was an amazing sleeper (and still is 6 years later).

Number 2 hasn't slept through the night yet. He's 14 months. I am dying.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
My mom mentioned when I was a few weeks old, I would refuse to go to sleep while being held. I'd be all angry and screaming, and once she put me down in the cradle, I settled down and fell asleep.
Our baby was nothing like that, she had to be held and still at 21 months needs us to sing lullabies etc in order to settle down.
It's weird how differently this works between babies, it's like we're completely different species.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God drat are we getting frustrated with one of our twins with potty training. One of them figured it out pretty quick and is good to go, but the other one is just not having it.

He doesn’t tell anyone if he has to go or even has an accident. Positive reinforcement via candy isn’t a motivator, and neither has been an awesome Spider-Man action figure that he can have if he doesn’t have any accidents for two days. I certainly don’t want to start any kind of negative reinforcement, because that will just make the problem worse.

This is especially a problem now that they are in preschool, if he has too many accidents he’ll get kicked out. The kid is stubborn as hell so I look forward to working from home with a 3 year old in the future.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Steely Dad posted:

preschool.

My 4yo loves school. I get worksheets from https://www.allkidsnetwork.com and crafts from there and elsewhere. She and the 2yo and I gather for circle time in the morning before work (songs and practice colors/shapes/numbers with some laminated sheets), then worksheets. I take a 90 minute lunch and we do the craft after eating. We do that 3 days a week. I try to pick worksheets and crafts that fit a theme (bugs, watermelon, pirates, emotions, etc.), It's recommended by teachers and also makes things easier for me. I also call the library and ask them to pull a few books related to the theme for curbside pick-up.

It's hard to get started, but after a few weeks I can pretty much get the week put together in an hour. Practice makes perfect! My 4yo asks about it every day. My 2yo enjoys circle time and sometimes joins us to scribble on worksheets.

Edit: I work until about 8pm to fit all this in.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 12, 2020

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I was typing up a long response until I re-read and saw that your baby is only 1 week. At this age the only really safe thing to give them a big feeding and then correctly swaddle in a safe cloth. There are very thin cloths made specifically for swaddling. Make sure you look up how to correctly and safely swaddle. Wrap that baby up into a little burrito and they'll feel safe enough to sleep. Sleep sacks could also be an option - we used one after our kid started busting out of the swaddles: https://www.target.com/s/summer+sleep+sack I definitely wouldn't use blankets as a swaddle! You can look up safe sleeping tips for newborns to prevent SIDS. https://www.cdc.gov/sids/Parents-Caregivers.htm Finally, Maybe turn the A/C up if you think your newborn is overheating?

Also, I'm sure you know this, but newborns should not be sleeping through the night. Their stomachs are so small that they need to feed fairly often to grow at the expected rate. So yea, 30 minutes of sleep is certainly too short, but you have to expect that you will be up multiple times during the night.

Finally, the first month is insane, and the first 3-months are very difficult. It does get easier, slowly. I have a 2.5 year old now and she is awesome. Life is much, much easier compared to the first year.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

willroc7 posted:

We've been doing a few lessons here and there on outschool for our 4 year old with moderate success. The investment is low so you can try them and see if they work for your situation. Sorry I can't be more help with your question in general. Good luck.

Thanks for all the answers, everyone. I’m checking these options out. I quoted this one specifically to show how dumb I am, because I am literally interviewing for a job at Outschool tomorrow and hadn’t considered it. Kids gonna try this one today, partly as interview prep. Sheesh.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Love to dream and ergopouch both have summer tog options for their sleep suits and swaddles. It’s what I use in summer when the temp inside can sometimes reach 30 or higher. We don’t have air conditioning. Dress the baby in a nappy only and one those if it’s hot.

Also, in the first weeks, I found with my first that holding them until they had been asleep for 20 minutes meant that she was more likely to link sleep cycles once I put her down. That’s the amount of time it takes for a newborn to move from active to deep sleep. For her, and my current newborn, a sleep cycle is around 35 minutes, but each baby is different. Do you use a dummy or pacifier? I found that a good way to resettle after one sleep cycle to help baby keep sleeping if they wake early.

It sounds like you and I have the reverse experience where my first baby loved contact and to be held where my second baby is pretty good with settling herself. Loving my newborn experience a lot more this time!

Hope this helps and good luck!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We have a kid now! One week today! He's amazing and terrifying! And has decided that instead of latching onto mom he would instead prefer to wriggle and scream directly into her nipple. So that's not ideal. But other than that things are fine! As fine as newborns go? He'll sleep in his bassinet for a few hours at a time now, which is more than he was doing in the first couple days.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

overdesigned posted:

We have a kid now! One week today! He's amazing and terrifying! And has decided that instead of latching onto mom he would instead prefer to wriggle and scream directly into her nipple. So that's not ideal. But other than that things are fine! As fine as newborns go? He'll sleep in his bassinet for a few hours at a time now, which is more than he was doing in the first couple days.

Our kid does that. We think that the screams make the food taste better.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
From a page ago now, but in kinda surprised to see all the love for those munchkin cups in here. We have had a ton of issues with them leaking if our 2yo does anything other than set them down perfectly. We're definitely a Nuk household, but you have to make sure to wash/not lose the internal valve thing

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

+1 for Nuk First Essentials cups. Repeated slamming will dislodge the valve and it can leak, but they are the best I’ve used so far.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a nanny and use a payroll service they recommend? My wife is starting to look for work again and we're thinking of going the nanny route instead of daycare due to COVID.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have a nanny and use a payroll service they recommend? My wife is starting to look for work again and we're thinking of going the nanny route instead of daycare due to COVID.

nannychex works for us. we got one before COVID while waitlisted for daycare. then COVID, so, well, still no daycare.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
We use HomePay for payroll. They are pricey, but there were not a lot of options when we started. Zero complaints and everything has been totally smooth.

If you are paying above board, I would recommend just biting the bullet and paying someone. I can't imagine trying to do all the tax/withholding stuff myself.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My 15 month old just started daycare, and we got an e-mail about her not napping.

I work nights and sleep during the day. My husband works 1-9pm. He drops her off at noon for their lunch, and I pick her up at 5:30. Their nap time is 1-3pm.

At home, if we are lucky, she will nap for 30 minutes in the afternoon, and that’s it for the entire day. She hasn’t napped a full hour at a time since she was about 8 months old. Her not napping at all isn’t uncommon.

The email basically said, “We think she is arriving too late. Try not giving morning naps. Could you drop her off earlier so she can play and get worn out and then sleep with the rest of the kids?”

I COULD bring her in after I’m done with work, around 8:30, but that means my husband will barely see her for the entire day. Also, it means she’s at daycare for 9 hours instead of 5. The cost is the same, but I would feel bad for leaving her there for such a long time.

I’m not sure what to say to the daycare. There’s no way she will ever nap for an hour or more. I know most people leave their kids at daycare for 8+ hours, so why do I feel so bad about it?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
It's weird that they're so prescriptive about nap time (our daycare just puts the kids to bed when they're tired) and that they're trying to tell you the hours you need care for - clearly you chose these hours because this is what works with your family timetable. I'd just say that your daughter isn't a great sleeper and maybe with a bit more time in daycare she might start napping but don't expect her to go down for more than 30min or so, it's just the way she's wired.

I had reservations about going to a 8am - 5pm timetable when my son was about 7 months old, but we had to for our work commitments. This eased pretty quickly when my son made it clear that he loves being at daycare. He's nearly 2 now and adores his teacher and literally runs into her arms when he gets there. As soon as I get him dressed in the morning he runs to the door and starts waving/saying "bye" and packs a sad in the weekend when he doesn't get to go. I think if it's a good daycare and your kid has good relationships with their teachers and clearly enjoys being there its okay, but I totally get the emotional hitch you're talking about. If my son was not so demonstratively positive about daycare I might rethink the schedule.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wonder if nap time is when the daycare workers catch up with back office stuff, cleaning etc. Maybe only one person is needed to attend to sleeping kids during nap time, instead of two or three

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Koivunen posted:

I’m not sure what to say to the daycare. There’s no way she will ever nap for an hour or more. I know most people leave their kids at daycare for 8+ hours, so why do I feel so bad about it?

I don't think it's that unusual to only nap for 30 minutes at that age - they may get longer with time but who know?

If your kid is simply not going under at all, I can see how it could be disruptive. Maybe she's waking the other kids up? Maybe she fusses a lot when trying to sleep, taking a lot of time for the staff to handle?

I wouldn't put a 15-month old in for 8 hours, personally, so I would definitely go with your own preference here. Maybe arrange to try it for a couple of days, so the staff can see that it's not because she needs to get more tired?

Also, how long ago did she start? Lots of kids don't learn to nap at daycare until a few weeks in.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 14, 2020

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Tamarillo posted:

It's weird that they're so prescriptive about nap time (our daycare just puts the kids to bed when they're tired) and that they're trying to tell you the hours you need care for - clearly you chose these hours because this is what works with your family timetable. I'd just say that your daughter isn't a great sleeper and maybe with a bit more time in daycare she might start napping but don't expect her to go down for more than 30min or so, it's just the way she's wired.

I had reservations about going to a 8am - 5pm timetable when my son was about 7 months old, but we had to for our work commitments. This eased pretty quickly when my son made it clear that he loves being at daycare. He's nearly 2 now and adores his teacher and literally runs into her arms when he gets there. As soon as I get him dressed in the morning he runs to the door and starts waving/saying "bye" and packs a sad in the weekend when he doesn't get to go. I think if it's a good daycare and your kid has good relationships with their teachers and clearly enjoys being there its okay, but I totally get the emotional hitch you're talking about. If my son was not so demonstratively positive about daycare I might rethink the schedule.

My daughter is turning 2 in October and she loves daycare. She doesn't even say bye to me. She runs in and runs down the hallway without even looking back.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Hello friends, we have a nearly four year old daugter, a one year old daughter and now we found out we are likely expecting a third kid, becaues we are apparently too stupid to practice safe sex.

Any tips or encouragement how to survive having a third child so close to the second/having a newborn along with a 2 year old toddler? We would probably have to buy a bigger car, maybe start looking for a bigger place to live, and the whole scenario is fairly haunting, especially for my wife of course, because she was looking forward to not having a little baby to look after (and not having to endure another birth for a while) and going back to work.

Abortion is not off the table, but it would be nice to find a way to make it work. We have a lot of support from our family so it would not ruin us financially, but we were not planning to have another kid for at least several years, so the pregnancy is not what we needed at this point.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Koivunen posted:

My 15 month old just started daycare, and we got an e-mail about her not napping.

I work nights and sleep during the day. My husband works 1-9pm. He drops her off at noon for their lunch, and I pick her up at 5:30. Their nap time is 1-3pm.

At home, if we are lucky, she will nap for 30 minutes in the afternoon, and that’s it for the entire day. She hasn’t napped a full hour at a time since she was about 8 months old. Her not napping at all isn’t uncommon.

The email basically said, “We think she is arriving too late. Try not giving morning naps. Could you drop her off earlier so she can play and get worn out and then sleep with the rest of the kids?”

I COULD bring her in after I’m done with work, around 8:30, but that means my husband will barely see her for the entire day. Also, it means she’s at daycare for 9 hours instead of 5. The cost is the same, but I would feel bad for leaving her there for such a long time.

My kid is a notoriously tough sleeper at nap time, even at home there was a long stretch where if he slept for ~90 mins it was like winning the lottery. This carried over to daycare, which he's been in since he was...5 or 6 months old? In any case he eventually got into the daycare routine and will now sleep for about 90 mins to two hours, mostly because he gets to run around a ton in the mornings. The daycare obviously wants your kid to get rest, but they probably also need that time for admin stuff, cleaning, etc. Also having one kid who doesn't sleep or who wakes up early can sometimes lead to the rest of the kids having their sleep disrupted....which is obviously not something anyone wants. At the end of the day though you should make the best choice for your family and what y'all are comfortable with.

My wife had a hard time sending him to daycare for the full day at first (usually 8-5, though we make an effort to get him early whenever possible), so don't feel like you're out of the norm here. I think most parents have a lot of anxiety about it but the pressures of both people having to work doesn't leave a lot of other options unless you have money and/or a lot of family support. My son is near 2 now and absolutely loves daycare and usually runs (or rolls, for the time being) in there as fast as he can. Your kid would probably adjust just as well. Could y'all split the difference and take her in around 11 am? That's not a ton of time to run around but it's better than nothing.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Captain Jesus posted:

Hello friends, we have a nearly four year old daugter, a one year old daughter and now we found out we are likely expecting a third kid, becaues we are apparently too stupid to practice safe sex.

Any tips or encouragement how to survive having a third child so close to the second/having a newborn along with a 2 year old toddler? We would probably have to buy a bigger car, maybe start looking for a bigger place to live, and the whole scenario is fairly haunting, especially for my wife of course, because she was looking forward to not having a little baby to look after (and not having to endure another birth for a while) and going back to work.

Abortion is not off the table, but it would be nice to find a way to make it work. We have a lot of support from our family so it would not ruin us financially, but we were not planning to have another kid for at least several years, so the pregnancy is not what we needed at this point.

I’d say lean into those family resources, not just financially but also general help wise. Maybe hire a nanny if you can instead.

Also, don’t be afraid to let breast feeding slide. It’s good, but not worth their sanity. Lastly, don’t feel bad if y’all chose to terminate.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

Any tips or encouragement how to survive having a third child so close to the second/having a newborn along with a 2 year old toddler? We would probably have to buy a bigger car, maybe start looking for a bigger place to live,

Not sure if this helps but my 2yo and 4yo love sharing a room, which became necessary with our third newborn. Although there were initially some nights of resistance/regret on their part.

Having a minivan is a huge convenience.

We love having all three, but it's very understandable if your situation doesn't make it easy. I am very tired.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
There has been some construction going on across the road from our daycare and holy poo poo it is the single greatest thing that my kid has ever seen in his life. If there were a zoo for construction equipment I'm pretty sure that we would be there every weekend

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

John Cenas Jorts posted:

There has been some construction going on across the road from our daycare and holy poo poo it is the single greatest thing that my kid has ever seen in his life. If there were a zoo for construction equipment I'm pretty sure that we would be there every weekend

Our local zoo is constructing a new area and put up signs like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not sure if this helps but my 2yo and 4yo love sharing a room, which became necessary with our third newborn. Although there were initially some nights of resistance/regret on their part.

Having a minivan is a huge convenience.

We love having all three, but it's very understandable if your situation doesn't make it easy. I am very tired.

SO tired, 3 definitely takes a lot out of you especially for the “I thought I was done with this!” Factor.

We’re trying to figure out the room sharing too, right now the 8yo (B) and 5yo(G) share a room with a bunk bed and the 2 yo(G) has her own. We would like to put the girls together in a room but the 2yo is a complete tyrant and brutalizes her older sister who justifiably is really wary of her little sister.

That said the interplay between the 3 of them has been fascinating to watch and really quite heartwarming most of the time. I come from a 2 kid family so it was not something I was used to. We’re pretty convinced the youngest will be both the protector and tormentor of her older sister.