Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

nwin posted:

Same. We were in Massachusetts for the winter with our newborn but he gets insanely hot. We had one of those front carriers where he hung out in it maybe twice and then hated it all the other times.

Baby K'Tan has an "active" version that has an athletic-wear type fabric, so it breathes real well. Our structured carrier is the Lillebaby all-season, and even with the thing un-zipped it still runs hot.

nwin posted:

In other news, gently caress my decision to get rid of our dock-a-tot a year ago because we didn’t want one more thing to move. Those fuckers are expensive and now with #2 on the way we were just remembering how useful it was. We also had one of those rockers and used that a few months before they banned them all.

The rock n play was the only way we got our first to sleep for the longest time. Naturally we had to throw it out once we had #2 on the way. We were not happy.

But he took pretty well to the bassinet, and we started sleep training him last Friday and he's doing loving OUTSTANDING in his crib. Like the first night was maybe a couple visits and he was out. Slept through the night on the 2nd night, but every other night since has been 1 or 2 wake ups. Never takes more than 2-3 visits at most to get him back to sleep. But Mom is still OK with nursing him once at night so it works out. She has to get up to pump anyhow if he doesn't eat, so either way it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My god, hipp ha formula is a miracle. 86% hydrolyzed and it actually tastes normal. It’s amazing that nutramigen and alimentum are the only game in town when it comes to hypoallergenic formulas in the US.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Add us to the expecting #2 club, due March 10

nwin posted:

In other news, gently caress my decision to get rid of our dock-a-tot a year ago because we didn’t want one more thing to move. Those fuckers are expensive and now with #2 on the way we were just remembering how useful it was.

Was it worth it? Legit asking, I am realizing that maybe I'm dumb as hell because I just sorta laid the baby wherever I wanted him to be? Idk maybe it's because my kid didn't roll over for like 5 months. But I remember seeing a bunch of patterns for homemade versions on Etsy or whatever if you want to try to DIY it to save money

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Add us to the expecting #2 club, due March 10

Was it worth it? Legit asking, I am realizing that maybe I'm dumb as hell because I just sorta laid the baby wherever I wanted him to be? Idk maybe it's because my kid didn't roll over for like 5 months. But I remember seeing a bunch of patterns for homemade versions on Etsy or whatever if you want to try to DIY it to save money

Congrats!! We’ve got an appointment October 6th to confirm with the doctors. They won’t see us here in Virginia until 8-10 weeks I guess. Massachusetts wasn’t as long.

Re: dock a tot:
It was a baby shower gift-we never would have spent $200 on something like that ourselves.

It was great because he couldn’t move from that spot and we felt safe keeping him in there when we were doing laundry/cooking/whatever and he was within reach. It was great for him to sleep in too because he wasn’t rolling over at the time.

It loving sucked whenever he puked though, because taking that thing off was bad enough but putting it back together after washing it really sucked.

Thanks for the tip on etsy/pinterest for the diy versions

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of puking on beds (and other fluids) we have a couple peapods that go on top of the sheets for a real fast change out after an accident and they rock. Then under that the regular fitted sheet then mattress protector for more layers of protection.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

At what age did you / do you plan to implement an allowance for your kids (if at all)?

Our 4yo daughter has a responsibility chart that she loves to use. At bedtime, she puts a star on the things she did that day, and is very excited when the chart is full at the end of the week (and bummed and reflective when it's not). Currently, we half-rear end a reward with a couple M&M's for a mostly full board, but she's turning 5 next month, and we're thinking of implementing a system that would teach the concept of saving at that time.

Our basic plan was to give her some sort of token (maybe a quarter) when she has some stars on the board at the end of the week, and 3 tokens if she has a full board. And then provide her a list of things she can purchase with her tokens. She can choose to use her earnings immediately, or save up for a few weeks to get something better.

Does that sound overly complicated for a 5 year old?

It sounds great! What chart do you have and where did you get it? I tried to pinterest one myself, but it was a definite fail.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

nwin posted:

Same. We were in Massachusetts for the winter with our newborn but he gets insanely hot. We had one of those front carriers where he hung out in it maybe twice and then hated it all the other times.

In other news, gently caress my decision to get rid of our dock-a-tot a year ago because we didn’t want one more thing to move. Those fuckers are expensive and now with #2 on the way we were just remembering how useful it was. We also had one of those rockers and used that a few months before they banned them all.

Dock-a-tots aren’t safe either, they just fly under the radar. The risk of death is small, but if you google it you’ll see it’s not zero.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

in_cahoots posted:

Dock-a-tots aren’t safe either, they just fly under the radar. The risk of death is small, but if you google it you’ll see it’s not zero.

I feel like anything designed for kids has killed a kid at this point.

That sucks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DaveSauce posted:

Baby K'Tan has an "active" version that has an athletic-wear type fabric, so it breathes real well. Our structured carrier is the Lillebaby all-season, and even with the thing un-zipped it still runs hot.

The rock n play was the only way we got our first to sleep for the longest time. Naturally we had to throw it out once we had #2 on the way. We were not happy.

But he took pretty well to the bassinet, and we started sleep training him last Friday and he's doing loving OUTSTANDING in his crib. Like the first night was maybe a couple visits and he was out. Slept through the night on the 2nd night, but every other night since has been 1 or 2 wake ups. Never takes more than 2-3 visits at most to get him back to sleep. But Mom is still OK with nursing him once at night so it works out. She has to get up to pump anyhow if he doesn't eat, so either way it works.

Those active ones are all but in stock right now.

How hard are they to put on? My wife was against the wraps because they seemed like a huge pain.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

In other news, gently caress my decision to get rid of our dock-a-tot a year ago because we didn’t want one more thing to move. Those fuckers are expensive and now with #2 on the way we were just remembering how useful it was.

My god, $195 for one of those? Talk about a markup. I'm sure you could make do with a cheaper brand?

My mom sowed one of them for us, and I'm finding instructions online that don't look complicated at all if you know your way around a sewing machine.

in_cahoots posted:

Got any references I could look at for that?
I just don't see how it would be less safe than the recommended options (ie a crib) for shorter naps, as long as you're not being an idiot about it. (By, say, putting it on a sofa the day your baby decides to learn to flip and roll out of the sofa)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 16, 2020

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

cailleask posted:

It sounds great! What chart do you have and where did you get it? I tried to pinterest one myself, but it was a definite fail.

We bought this calendar / responsibility chart combo. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DGIKIFO

On top of enjoying the responsibility chart as previously mentioned, our daughter loves to help change the calendar every month and gets excited for upcoming activities. We use a magnetic push pin to let her keep track of what day it is.

They're also whiteboards, so we bought some dry erase markers for her to color on them with.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

nwin posted:

Those active ones are all but in stock right now.

How hard are they to put on? My wife was against the wraps because they seemed like a huge pain.

The traditional wraps (e.g. Moby) are a massive loving pain. I hear they're great once you learn how to use them, but who has the time with a screaming baby around?

The K'tan is way easier. Not as easy as a ring sling or a structured carrier, but not bad. It's basically a few panels sewn together to emulate what the Moby wrap does when it's done right, then there's a separate piece that you just wrap around and tie.

Look up some youtube videos, there are plenty out there that show how it goes on. It takes practice to get everything positioned just right, but it's not like you have to unwrap and re-wrap everything just because it's off an inch.

Biggest issue my wife has had with the K'tan is making sure the "cross" in the back is centered right. If it's off, the weight distribution will be wrong, and it won't be comfortable after a while. And it's not a set-and-forget type thing like with buckles on structured carriers, you have to get positioning right every time.

I'm probably making it sound harder than it is, but I don't want to give you the impression that there's zero work involved. But that's the trade-off, of course. If you want something cool and lightweight, it's not going to have all the buckles/clips/straps that structured carriers have, which by definition means that it's harder to adjust properly. In our experience the K'tan hits a nice middle road.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
If you Google "dock a tot safety" you'll find a whole bunch of information

Consumer Reports

At least two deaths associated with this specific brand are discussed in this article, along with additional deaths from other similar products. Anything with a soft surface is considered to be unsafe for infant sleep. Crib mattresses are required to have a specific level of firmness to help prevent suffocation. Any sleep positioner is unsafe per AAP.

"And as the CPSC data revealed, precarious scenarios do happen, far too often. “It’s not just a theoretical problem,” Hoffman says. “More infants die in their sleep in the first year of life than all kids die of cancer every year.” And research shows that the risks of sleep-related infant deaths increase when babies are put to sleep in unsafe products."

I'm not here to demonize its use, but I think it's important to at least be aware of the risks to make an informed decision. We take educated risks all the time as well informed parents, but I think it's important to have the intentional thought of "the increased risk of suffocation is worth it to me and my family to get better sleep".

marchantia fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 16, 2020

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Also to double post, I looooovvvved my hand-me-down beco baby carrier. They are structured but can be used from newborns up thru toddlers. The straps cross in the back to help distribute the weight and I found it easy to use.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

marchantia posted:

If you Google "dock a tot safety" you'll find a whole bunch of information

Consumer Reports

At least two deaths associated with this specific brand are discussed in this article, along with additional deaths from other similar products. Anything with a soft surface is considered to be unsafe for infant sleep. Crib mattresses are required to have a specific level of firmness to help prevent suffocation. Any sleep positioner is unsafe per AAP.

Oooh, so it's considered an "in-bed sleeper"? Yeah then I can totally see a potential for SIDS/suffocation. Thanks, just the kind of info I was looking for.

Putting one of those in the parents' bed basically means "co-sleeping but with somewhat reduced risk because you're less likely to roll over onto the baby". The authorities here also don't officially have a recommendation about that, but I've seen an interview where a spokesperson for them said "if you do this, make sure the baby nest is above shoulder height of the parents, to reduce suffocation risk". Something to think about. I know the products are massively popular so I hope it's not too many people using them to co-sleep.

That said, the article cites 12 deaths in six years, over a nation the size of the USA that's a miniscule risk, still any increase over 0 should be avoided.

We used ours mostly to let her nap on the floor near us during daytime. Put that thing on a carpet and it's a nice firm napping bed. Once she could roll over onto her belly she was massively unhappy about not being able to peer over the edge, so it basically wasn't used much after that.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 16, 2020

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That said, the article cites 12 deaths in six years, over a nation the size of the USA that's a miniscule risk, still any increase over 0 should be avoided.

"Several infant in-bed sleepers meant for bed-sharing with an adult caregiver are linked to at least 12 deaths that occurred between 2012 and 2018, according to a Consumer Reports investigation. The findings are based in part on incident data that CR received from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which inadvertently disclosed information about the specific products involved in the incidents."

My understanding is that CPSC doesn't release information about products related to infant deaths unless issuing a recall. The dataset they were sent was not intended to include the product information. The actual number is likely higher, but that's impossible to verify.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 16, 2020

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
It’s not just unsafe for cosleeping. Anything with a soft side or bottom poses a suffocation risk, either directly or due to lack of airflow.

The only 100% safe sleep solution recommended in the US is Alone, on their Backs, in a Crib (ABC). Anything not labeled a crib or bassinet is not regulated for safe sleep and has probably caused at least one death. This means sleepers, napping devices, crib bumpers, and even car seats (out of the car) aren’t actually safe for sleeping. The risk is small but it’s not zero.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

There’s a thing about letting perfect be the enemy of good-enough. If you’re struggling with infant sleep to the point where the ADULT isn’t getting enough sleep, then it’s okay to evaluate risks and make a slightly less optimal choice. A sleepy adult is far more likely to get everyone in a car crash!

Pick something, make it as safe as you can, and then you have to survive. These blanket all-or-nothing recommendations is how adults just end up napping on the couch while holding a newborn, which is literally the most dangerous by a LOT of all the possible ways to sleep with / by an infant.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I dunno, I don't feel like using a proven-dangerous and unregulated sleep device is really an acceptable alternative.

So yes, an infant sleeping on a parent who is sleeping on a couch/bed/chair is very dangerous. But that probably happens WAY more frequently than is reported. Certainly more frequently than each of these individual products are used. I would guess that if you had proper reporting and normalized everything to a "per hour of sleep" metric, then these devices suddenly look a lot worse.

Ultimately these companies are exploiting desperate parents. Maybe not intentionally, but that's the only reason they get sales. Getting a baby to sleep safe and on its own is loving HARD, and being sleep deprived yourself makes it all that much worse. So they promise that these things can do just that, and that they're "Perfectly Safe (as long as the baby is supervised at all times and doesn't sleep for more than a few minutes)."

It all really boils down to this: a crying baby is a breathing baby. If you can't stay awake (or if you're at the end of your rope), put the kid down somewhere safe and walk away.

In any case, there are plenty of safe options that may take some effort, but they will work eventually. I don't think you can really conclude that you HAVE to pick the unsafe option in order to avoid other risks.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

“If you tell people not to do X they will do Y, which is worse” is the reason the recommendation is to do ABC rather than not to do specific things.

Products marketed towards infant use minimize the risks and throw in a “talk to your pediatrician” comfortable in the knowledge most people probably won’t, at least not before making a purchase decision. They should all carry the AAFP recommended advice (what the pediatrician is going to tell you) about ABC and the risks of co-sleeping. Instead they foment the belief that co-sleeping can be done safely so that people plan to co-sleep (and accessorize for that plan) rather than resort to it because their particular infant has sleep trouble.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

kaschei posted:

Products marketed towards infant use minimize the risks and throw in a “talk to your pediatrician” comfortable in the knowledge most people probably won’t, at least not before making a purchase decision. They should all carry the AAFP recommended advice (what the pediatrician is going to tell you) about ABC and the risks of co-sleeping. Instead they foment the belief that co-sleeping can be done safely so that people plan to co-sleep (and accessorize for that plan) rather than resort to it because their particular infant has sleep trouble.

Totally agree. We chose not to bedshare because of the safety risks, but I also get the reasons people choose to do it, especially when breastfeeding. I think as long as people are aware of the heightened risks of infant death and take steps to reduce risk as much as possible, I'm not going to sit and say they should do it differently. We have an in home caregiver during covid with other kids coming in, that's definitely an increased risk but it's what we need to do to keep our family running.

I do wish that these products were more upfront with the risks of their use. Dock-a-tot has historically been lovely with their advertising re: safety, they've had instagram posts in the last few years with the dock-a-tot in a hammock or in a plush bed with other children or pets sleeping curled around it. It also was pitched until recently as an addition to a bassinet or crib which is probably the most unsafe way to use the product. This site gives a good breakdown of the cluster gently caress that is dock-a-tot marketing claims over time.

Unless you are doing your own research, why would you know that "nappers" or "sleepers" aren't considered to be safe? If they are unsafe, why would they be allowed to sell them? It's just frustrating from a consumer standpoint. Anything not safe sleep certified in the US should be required to carry a blunt warning label in my opinion.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 16, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

in_cahoots posted:

It’s not just unsafe for cosleeping. Anything with a soft side or bottom poses a suffocation risk, either directly or due to lack of airflow.

The only 100% safe sleep solution recommended in the US is Alone, on their Backs, in a Crib (ABC). Anything not labeled a crib or bassinet is not regulated for safe sleep and has probably caused at least one death. This means sleepers, napping devices, crib bumpers, and even car seats (out of the car) aren’t actually safe for sleeping. The risk is small but it’s not zero.

OK, so, you're absolutely right. Avoid soft stuff and use the approved products. Except keep in mind a certified "safe" bassinet or crib is not necessarily a safe place to put down a baby, either. SIDS is the trickiest diagnosis: it's used only when all other causes of death have been ruled out.

That means, every SIDS death is unexplained. When a baby is found dead in the parents' bed, the cause of death is unlikely to be classified as SIDS and more likely to be "accidental suffocation". Likewise, if they are found with a blanket wrapped around their neck, it's not SIDS. So, we know doing ABC reduces risk of death while sleeping, yet still there are cases of SIDS even with correct practices. The science is just not there yet, where we can say "do this and your baby will live through the night". Which sucks, BTW, for a control freak like me... So as long as there are 4000 SIDS deaths annually across the US, it's not necessarily correct to say that approved cribs have not "caused" deaths, or that there exists a "100% safe sleep solution".

I don't mean to play devil's advocate for those selling unsafe products, such as the baby nests and reclined sleepers pinpointed in the article. I'm 100% sure that they are worse options from a safety perspective, and I'm even open to the possibility that they are very bad indeed, though clearly there is no publicly available data to base that conclusion on. In any case, let's all stick to approved methods and products.

marchantia posted:

Dock-a-tot has historically been lovely with their advertising re: safety, they've had instagram posts in the last few years with the dock-a-tot in a hammock or in a plush bed with other children or pets sleeping curled around it.

Not only historically, they have some pretty lovely stuff on their web site right now... drat!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
This should not be taken as statistically sound endorsement or pediatric advice but we co-slept for the first 14 months with a similar "nest" product that was much less soft and squishy while doing our best to keep blankets and other suffocating surfaces away. It was also extremely handy for putting the newborn down while awake. As first-time parents we did not have any experience but felt we were doing our best to make consciously safe decisions.

Mostly right now I'm just incredibly grateful that our child has matured past the "can die randomly at any time for any reason" stage and onto the "can die at any time for very specific reasons, cover up all the outlets NOW" stage.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That means, every SIDS death is unexplained. When a baby is found dead in the parents' bed, the cause of death is unlikely to be classified as SIDS and more likely to be "accidental suffocation".

Well, yes and no.

Atlantic Article Link

This is potentially behind a paywall so I'll quote the relevant text. SUID stands for sudden unexplained infant death.

quote:

Seven years ago, public health officials at the CDC launched a case registry to log SUID deaths. The idea was to track deaths at the state level, monitor trends, and to gather data that could improve death-scene investigations and might ultimately help prevent future deaths. Since 2009, the registry has expanded from five states to 18.

Despite that growth, it is still a fairly “junior surveillance system,” says Sharyn Parks Brown, an epidemiologist at the CDC who manages the database.

“We are just getting to the point where we have the capacity to conduct a lot of analyses,” she told me. “In the next decade, we may be able to start to do genetic-type analyses of cases to see if there’s something underlying [linked to SUID deaths].”

In the meantime, though, there are many challenges. For one thing—and this is perhaps the biggest thing—there are stark differences in how various states, and even separate jurisdictions within the same state, handle death-scene investigations and classifications. “That’s one of the inherent challenges,” Brown said. “There have been a lot of differences in how ‘SUID’ is defined. There is not a standard state-by-state definition.”

There are also cultural factors at play. Some infant deaths that are eventually explained—a baby who suffocates because of loose bedding in her crib, for example, or when an adult rolls onto her in a shared bed—are sometimes classified as SIDS deaths anyway, out of sensitivity to traumatized parents grieving the death of their newborn.

“We definitely know that coroners and medical examiners have tendencies to certify deaths differently—and particularly when we are working with the coroner population, because they’re elected officials and oftentimes they’re working in smaller communities where they may be on first-name basis with these families,” Brown said. “It’s difficult for them in some situations to work on a case, and say to the family that something the family did or did not do led directly to the death of their child.”  

“A really important part of a SUID-scene investigation is doing a doll re-enactment,” she added. But it’s difficult to ask a grieving family to participate in such an exercise.

For these and other reasons, many death-scene investigations are not as thorough as they ought to be. Some jurisdictions may simply lack the resources to consistently handle such investigations properly. And although the CDC offers guidance on best practices for death-scene investigations, it has no authority to mandate how such examinations are carried out. Further complicating an already murky situation, is that sudden unexpected infant death does not have any clear biological markers.

“Unlike most causes of death, you can’t do an autopsy and say, ‘Yes, the baby died of SIDS,’” Brown said. “Even suffocation, unfortunately, does not have solid biological markers. There’s huge variation in what takes place during autopsy and death-scene investigation. And because determination of SIDS and SUID are so dependent on those investigations, we’re kind of in a catch-22 here.”

So autopsies alone are not enough—but in most sudden and unexpected infant deaths, there are no witnesses. To begin to unpack the variances in data that flows into the CDC registry, scientists designed an algorithm to help standardize information, and tested it by applying it to hundreds of cases from the registry in 2011. The way it works is by running each case through a series of questions—things like: Any unsafe sleep factors? and Factors for suffocation present?—then using the answers to determine a classification for the death. In a 2014 paper about the algorithm, researchers found that 88 percent of the cases remained unexplained, but that most of them—73 percent—also occurred in an unsafe sleep environment.

In a separate study, published in the journal Pediatrics in April, scientists took a closer look at death scene investigations and autopsy practices among 770 infant deaths across seven states in 2013. Though the vast majority of cases involved an investigation of some kind, comprehensive information about the sleep environment where the baby was found was produced in only 85 percent of cases. In most of the states examined, for instance, investigators noted the status of the baby’s airway when he or she was found less than 80 percent of the time—including just 35 percent of the time in one of the states, which wasn’t identified.

“Right now, things that are getting labeled as SIDS are kind of a mixed bag,” Brown said. “We suspect that the SIDS category is over-inflated because there’s so much variation in what’s getting put into that category. Having a very clear decision matrix to classify [deaths] will hopefully help.”

For now, the CDC registry for Sudden Unexpected Infant Death in the United States has reinforced the importance of existing guidelines for sleep safety. In 2011, a pediatrician at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., told NPR that, despite intense fear of SIDS among parents, it had been years since they’d seen a “true SIDs case,” in the District; all the babies who had died suddenly and unexpectedly in recent years had been in unsafe sleeping environments. In other words, their deaths could have been prevented.

“Our key takeaway in general is risk reduction,” Brown says. “Making sure babies are always in a safe sleep environment, on a safe surface, on their back.”

marchantia fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 17, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

cailleask posted:

There’s a thing about letting perfect be the enemy of good-enough. If you’re struggling with infant sleep to the point where the ADULT isn’t getting enough sleep, then it’s okay to evaluate risks and make a slightly less optimal choice. A sleepy adult is far more likely to get everyone in a car crash!

Pick something, make it as safe as you can, and then you have to survive. These blanket all-or-nothing recommendations is how adults just end up napping on the couch while holding a newborn, which is literally the most dangerous by a LOT of all the possible ways to sleep with / by an infant.

We co-slept with my kid. My wife initially wanted to get one of those Dock-a-Tot things or something similar, but after reading a lot of the same research about the suffocation risk I said no loving way and we ended up getting a really thin futon mattress (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKJHVIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to put on the floor in their room and we co-slept that way.

Like others have said, there's no completely "safe" product, you just have to figure out what works for your family and what level of risk is acceptable. But anything that is squishy or soft or talks up how "adjustable" it is you're probably better staying away from.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

We co-slept with my kid. My wife initially wanted to get one of those Dock-a-Tot things or something similar, but after reading a lot of the same research about the suffocation risk I said no loving way and we ended up getting a really thin futon mattress (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKJHVIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to put on the floor in their room and we co-slept that way.

Like others have said, there's no completely "safe" product, you just have to figure out what works for your family and what level of risk is acceptable. But anything that is squishy or soft or talks up how "adjustable" it is you're probably better staying away from.

I'm no fan of that soft stuff either - I think the dock a tot is pretty predatory. We also co-slept on a bed with no pillows and sheets pinned down to waist level. There's just cascading levels of risk - the dock a tot is probably still safer than sleeping with a parent on a couch, but certainly not even close to the safest choice you could make.

I just wish we could talk about choices freely with relative risk - unsafe, safe, safest.

The point I was trying to make is that by far the most dangerous activity any parent does with an infant is driving in a car. It's important to try and evaluate risks with their relative size in mind - we cannot eliminate all risk from our lives, so being able to have a frank discussion and weigh relative probabilities is key! I've seen a lot of new parents (and felt the tendency in myself) to over-optimize my life around a risk that FEELS huge but is actually statistically very small, while ignoring ones that are statistically far more likely.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

cailleask posted:

The point I was trying to make is that by far the most dangerous activity any parent does with an infant is driving in a car.

I really don't mean to be pedantic, but more infants under 12 months in the US die from SIDS than from all accidental deaths combined. (source - fig. 4) :eng101: I do agree on thinking of all risks as relative, life is full of risks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We never co-slept because we were afraid of rolling over on him and also our parents were all “don’t do that-they’ll never leave your bed.”

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I was extremely anti co-sleeping for the same reasons - it's one of the few serious arguments my wife and I have had at all since the kid was born. The floor mattress was the compromise because I was/am really worried about rolling over on him or him rolling/crawling out of the bed that we have, especially because it's fairly high off the ground. It hasn't been great, although I do appreciate getting to spend more time with him despite all the midnight kicking and flopping around and random wake-ups. He turns 2 next month and we're just now getting him to consistently sleep in his toddler bed every night and for naps - although we're still working on getting him to sleep alone. Not ideal and definitely not what I had in mind but that's life I guess.

For the next kid (whenever that happens) we're going to try a sidesleeper bassinet/crib in our room for breastfeeding convenience and sleep training once the baby hits 6 months. Doing this extended co-sleeping thing again is not something I even want to think about.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mat Cauthon posted:

I was extremely anti co-sleeping for the same reasons - it's one of the few serious arguments my wife and I have had at all since the kid was born. The floor mattress was the compromise because I was/am really worried about rolling over on him or him rolling/crawling out of the bed that we have, especially because it's fairly high off the ground. It hasn't been great, although I do appreciate getting to spend more time with him despite all the midnight kicking and flopping around and random wake-ups. He turns 2 next month and we're just now getting him to consistently sleep in his toddler bed every night and for naps - although we're still working on getting him to sleep alone. Not ideal and definitely not what I had in mind but that's life I guess.

For the next kid (whenever that happens) we're going to try a sidesleeper bassinet/crib in our room for breastfeeding convenience and sleep training once the baby hits 6 months. Doing this extended co-sleeping thing again is not something I even want to think about.

Yeah we did a bassinet in our room for the first two months and then our pediatrician gave us the best advice: put him in his own room ASAP.

He was constantly making little noises through the night and since we were new to all this, we were hypersensitive and not sleeping because we’d hear him all night. Moving him to his own room with the baby monitor helped all of us sleep a lot better, plus there wasn’t as much difficulty moving him out of our room.

We’ll probably do the same thing with the second one.

My wife breastfed for maybe a month with #1 and she’ll probably try for a little bit with the second one, but we’ve got no issue going straight to Kirkland brand formula like we did with the first one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Other end of the spectrum (well, almost,) we co-slept for roughly two years. I think at around 18 months we got a bed for our daughter's room which was "hers" but we didn't start putting her to bed in it until she requested it. For a little while after that she'd get out of bed and come in with us in the middle of the night, which we just went with and didn't put her back, and eventually that just dropped off and she started overnighting in her own room. No fuss at any stage.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

marchantia posted:

I really don't mean to be pedantic, but more infants under 12 months in the US die from SIDS than from all accidental deaths combined. (source - fig. 4) :eng101: I do agree on thinking of all risks as relative, life is full of risks!

Accidental infant deaths in this data set are about the same as SIDS deaths (which as we saw from the previous article are a mish-mash of true SIDS and suffocations from practicises ranging between egregious and safe-ish). Infants actually don't die in car accidents, for example, very often thanks to how safe their car seats are. But their parents do. That's also an important part of the risk calculation.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

cailleask posted:

Accidental infant deaths in this data set are about the same as SIDS deaths (which as we saw from the previous article are a mish-mash of true SIDS and suffocations from practicises ranging between egregious and safe-ish). Infants actually don't die in car accidents, for example, very often thanks to how safe their car seats are. But their parents do. That's also an important part of the risk calculation.

A very good point! I just think it's arguable that it's the most dangerous thing you can do with an infant, especially with the strict carseat laws we have in the US. Parental risk also worth considering though, absolutely. I just was shocked when I saw that stat so I figured I'd share.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

nwin posted:

Yeah we did a bassinet in our room for the first two months and then our pediatrician gave us the best advice: put him in his own room ASAP.

He was constantly making little noises through the night and since we were new to all this, we were hypersensitive and not sleeping because we’d hear him all night. Moving him to his own room with the baby monitor helped all of us sleep a lot better, plus there wasn’t as much difficulty moving him out of our room.

We’ll probably do the same thing with the second one.

My wife breastfed for maybe a month with #1 and she’ll probably try for a little bit with the second one, but we’ve got no issue going straight to Kirkland brand formula like we did with the first one.

I can't remember how long they say to room-in, but our pediatrician even told us for one of his kids they quit after 2 months because the kid was a loud sleeper.

Our first was a blur because she slept like poo poo and was colicky. Eventually got a Rock-N-Play and that made a world of difference.

Since that was recalled, we were more stubborn with #2 and worked hard on the bassinet. As of almost 1 week ago he's been sleeping in his crib in his room (he's 4mo and rolling now, so the bassinet is over with).

He slept through the night for the 2nd time (not in a row) last night :toot:

cailleask posted:

This risk calculation you keep talking about, I'm not sure you're quite looking at it right.

No, you can't eliminate all risk. But when there's overwhelming evidence that certain things are definitely safer than their alternative, I don't understand why you would choose the alternative.

Sleep is important for parents, and lack of sleep is bad and dangerous. And yes, it's difficult to get a baby to sleep on its own, but this isn't the binary choice you keep talking about. Sleeping on the couch with the kid on you is not the only alternative to known-dangerous devices. You're comparing extremes here as though there's no other option, when there are plenty of safer choices that may not be easy or perfect, but they can be made to work and are as safe as our current understanding allows.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We exclusively used a bassinet in our room the first 4 months, then moved the baby to her room/crib. Around 7mo we ran into some problems with her getting back to sleep in the early morning and did a little bit of cosleeping around that time (no high sheets/pillows/nobody drinks at all after 5pm) when the back-to-the-crib routine didn’t work.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m the mom or what, but my sleep was absolutely horrible and extremely light when she was in our bed, so I pretty much nixed the practice ASAP. I cannot understand long term cosleeping because I was nearly more of a zombie than if I had gotten up at 3am.

Also maybe a dumb question, but how do parents that primarily cosleep deal with their baby having an earlier bedtime? I feel like one whole benefit of the bassinet/crib is that you have them in a safe place with a monitor so you can have time where you exist separately from the kid.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

BadSamaritan posted:

Also maybe a dumb question, but how do parents that primarily cosleep deal with their baby having an earlier bedtime? I feel like one whole benefit of the bassinet/crib is that you have them in a safe place with a monitor so you can have time where you exist separately from the kid.

At the time we were living in a very small flat so we were either hanging out in bed with the sleeping kid reading or watching TV or whatever, or literally in the next room on the sofa doing the same. Never had a monitor. But there was a small upper limit on how separate we could ever really be, so it didn't feel like a big deal really.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
“He’s looking at me! This is a very upsetting event at this point in time during breakfast.” - 3 year old twin, paraphrased

Ok fine, whatever. *creates barrier*

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
We kept our dude in the bassinet until he measured 14+ lbs at his 2mo appt, which was just too close to the 15lb weight limit on the bassinet for comfort. After that we coslept until 6mo, at which point he got too mobile and we sleep trained him to his crib.

I for one slept WAY worse for quite a while once he was in his own room. I had gotten so used to his breathing and little baby noises, the absence of them kept waking me up for a while until I adjusted.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I coslept regularly with my first until we bought a bedside bassinet. We had originally been given a bassinet by my SIL, but turns out I hated physically getting up multiple times a night, so having the bassinet right next to me solved that issue. She stayed in that until 4 months old when it was clear she was too mobile and needed the space of a cot.

My second I coslept with I think 4 times, but pretty much only for the first sleep before a feed because she was a newborn and had issues detaching from the nipple.

She was also LOUD in her sleep for the first 2 months, like barnyard grunts. Took a while for my brain to tell the difference between grunting and digesting after a feed and stirring because she needs a feed. Thankfully she’s much quieter now at 3 months, but she’s also growing fast, so we’ll see how long she lasts in the bassinet.

I too wonder how long term cosleeping works with different bedtimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kids had pretty late bedtimes - between 8 and 9pm, usually. It worked the same way as it did for naps, in that a parent lays down with them for a bit, then leaves once they're out. Because it was routine to them, it didn't usually take much time to get them out and deeply sleeping.

Usually we could sneak away, but if we couldn't, well, that's why we put a TV in the bedroom. The noises almost never bothered them so long as it wasn't absolutely blaringly loud.

re: risk chat, my point is that it's NOT black and white, but a spectrum of risk. Couch sleeping == super dangerous. Dock a tot soft thing == moderately dangerous, 'safe' cosleeping following guidelines == moderately safe, alone in crib in parent room == very safe, etc. Ideal is to make the safest choice that doesn't aso severely compromise your risk in another dimension (parental exhaustion, mental health, etc).