Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Gonna get my kid hooked on Dungeons and Dragons to socialize my child while preventing any teenage pregnancy. Same as I was taught, same as my forefathers.

Stealing this idea! On a serious note, I watched my dad play D&D when I was a kid and always wanted to join. I found a group to play in in high school but of course we grew up and apart. I would love to teach my kid to play someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Gonna get my kid hooked on Dungeons and Dragons to socialize my child while preventing any teenage pregnancy. Same as I was taught, same as my forefathers.

Didn't you hear? D&D is cool now.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

Stealing this idea! On a serious note, I watched my dad play D&D when I was a kid and always wanted to join. I found a group to play in in high school but of course we grew up and apart. I would love to teach my kid to play someday.

My baby already joins us for our online D&D sessions. My husband and I co-DM. Even though we are the ones with an infant, it’s always the other people who are super late or have to go to bed early.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nessa posted:

My baby already joins us for our online D&D sessions. My husband and I co-DM. Even though we are the ones with an infant, it’s always the other people who are super late or have to go to bed early.

This has been our experience too.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LOL if your baby doesn’t keep you to a strict schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Thanks for the input re: parenting styles and friendship.

The behaviors that kind of shocked me were mostly how physically mean the older kid was to his little brother, and how little of a reaction (if any) she had in response. I know that siblings fight, but the baby was just doing baby things like crawling around, entertaining himself with toys, standing up using furniture, etc. Then the older kid would randomly kick him in the face, shove him to the floor, repeatedly smash his head in our open baby gate, beat him with toys... and she hardly did anything about it. Me and my husband had stronger reactions, and were the ones saying “don’t hit” or “be gentle” or whatever. Maybe this is a normal boy thing, but I’ve never seen a little kid be so mean before.

He didn’t hit my kid, but he did forcefully rip several toys out of her hands, and ended up throwing stuff all over our house. Like things off the counter and dishes and food and whatnot.

She embraces the philosophy of having “free-range” kids, she even has a crafty sign in her house saying so, but it seems to be like she’s given up on trying to reign in her older kid at all, and she just lets him do what he wants. I have seen her punish him for doing dangerous things, like running into the street, or hitting adults while trying to hurt them, but the second he sees that she’s mad, he starts to melt down, and then she’s giving him cuddles and offering TV or candy or something.

I got some sleep today thanks to my husband taking over on entertaining or kid so I could nap, and I realize that my initial post was a lot more dramatic than how I’m feeling now. Her kid is kind of a terror, but I’m a mom too and I can control the situations I choose to put my kid in.