Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Really feeling the human hunter/gatherer history rn as my ~3yo stalks and hunts us through the house after I had to teach him about how some plants in the yard are spiky and we shouldn't touch them, but they won't hurt him if he is standing three feet away and hiding behind my legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So it’s literally the first night home and I need advice.

This kid is not sleeping tonight except when we hold him. Anytime he lays down, within 5 minutes he’s screaming. Today he was fine in the bassinet so I don’t get it.

We’re thinking cluster feeding and gas are the issues so right now I’m holding him for an hour and then my wife will trade off so she can feed if needed.

Working shifts works fine with just one kid, but I’m going to have to take care of our toddler all day tomorrow, which will suck without sleep.

We were both awake trying to help figure poo poo out but at 1 am when putting him down for the tenth time didn’t work, I said this is stupid having us both awake-one of us needs to rest, so I took the first shift since he just ate. 10 minutes in and he’s still asleep in my arms.

Any advice? I know we’re just in survival mode and once she can pump milk I can help out more with a bottle and we can do better shifts of we continue that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nwin posted:

This kid is not sleeping tonight except when we hold him. Anytime he lays down, within 5 minutes he’s screaming. Today he was fine in the bassinet so I don’t get it.

We’re thinking cluster feeding and gas are the issues so right now I’m holding him for an hour and then my wife will trade off so she can feed if needed.

Working shifts works fine with just one kid, but I’m going to have to take care of our toddler all day tomorrow, which will suck without sleep.

We were both awake trying to help figure poo poo out but at 1 am when putting him down for the tenth time didn’t work, I said this is stupid having us both awake-one of us needs to rest, so I took the first shift since he just ate. 10 minutes in and he’s still asleep in my arms.

Any advice? I know we’re just in survival mode and once she can pump milk I can help out more with a bottle and we can do better shifts of we continue that.

Are you guys open to using supplemental formula early on? We had to use it with our daughter because she was a premie and needed to gain weight and keep her blood sugar up ASAP. We couldn’t really wait for my wife’s milk supply in our situation.

One of the benefits was that I was able to do shifts right away without my wife’s involvement. We never planned on doing things with formula but it actually worked out really well for that first week. As my wife’s milk came in we used less and less formula. After like 5 days she was pumping enough that we dropped the formula in favor of expressed milk.

Other than that...yeah you’re in survival mode :negative:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ehud posted:

Are you guys open to using supplemental formula early on? We had to use it with our daughter because she was a premie and needed to gain weight and keep her blood sugar up ASAP. We couldn’t really wait for my wife’s milk supply in our situation.

One of the benefits was that I was able to do shifts right away without my wife’s involvement. We never planned on doing things with formula but it actually worked out really well for that first week. As my wife’s milk came in we used less and less formula. After like 5 days she was pumping enough that we dropped the formula in favor of expressed milk.

Other than that...yeah you’re in survival mode :negative:

Yeah we’re open to it and our last kid went full formula at one month old. My wife is producing WAY more with this kid though and she felt defeated last time. We have a pediatrician appointment in the morning and he’s completely healthy with normal weight loss after being born so far.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Koivunen posted:

In cheating husbands news, he’s flipping between being apologetic and being kind of rude and blaming me for the situation he’s in. He’s going to get therapy, so we will see if that makes any kind of difference. Tomorrow night I start my last stretch of work before I’m off for maternity leave. I have a few friend dates lined up for next week, and the support has continued to be amazing from friends this week. I haven’t been alone at all except for bed time. I’m so exhausted.

Thanks for the update, I've been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. Blaming you is super lovely on his part. Your friends sound fantastic, I'm so glad you have that support. Hope your last stretch of work goes well and you get to rest soon!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Day one at home means day two of new baby? My first had issues feeding but second was a champ.

Night two of her life, first night home, she was literally on the boob all night, I could not put her down and no other settling method would work. It’s cluster feeding so that the milk comes in strong, and it worked a treat. You’re not doing anything wrong, and it will pass. Sounds like you and your wife are doing everything right too.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Shifty Pony posted:

The swing was the only way to get our baby to daytime nap for more than 10 minutes for a stretch between about 6wks-12wks, possibly longer. One of us would watch him like a hawk while the other tried to get a nap or just some mental downtime. It sucked, but the alternative of fighting for 30 minutes to get a 10 minute catnap was so much worse.

It didn't seem to have any effect on nighttime sleep since he always went down very easy into his bassinet/crib with no rocking and slept just fine overnight, and once he got through the fourth trimester he was able to self sooth to the point that he was able to nap in the crib no problem. Once the sleep regression hit sleep training was easy peasy done in maybe three nights, none of which had us up doing progressive waiting for more than an hour or two.

Bless that swing, I wanted to give it a Viking funeral but it was still in working order and someone on our neighborhood buy nothing group had a swing break and needed a replacement ASAP.

My kid is the same way, he got a lot of swing time until he learned to self soothe and put himself back to sleep.

I’m watching him in there right now because he woke up early and wanted food and I’m trying to night wean.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have any tips on getting sunscreen on kids easily? I have 3 and I still can’t do it for poo poo. The youngest is the fairest and farmer tans up real fast so I try to get her slathered but she fights and yells and screams. This is the worst part about summer honestly.

My wife is darker and never uses sunscreen so she is absolutely no help (despite me telling her she should anyway).

Need some kind of sunscreen shotgun like that makeup gun in the Simpsons but that would probably be all “traumatic “ :haw:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

priznat posted:

Anyone have any tips on getting sunscreen on kids easily? I have 3 and I still can’t do it for poo poo. The youngest is the fairest and farmer tans up real fast so I try to get her slathered but she fights and yells and screams. This is the worst part about summer honestly.

My wife is darker and never uses sunscreen so she is absolutely no help (despite me telling her she should anyway).

Need some kind of sunscreen shotgun like that makeup gun in the Simpsons but that would probably be all “traumatic “ :haw:

I mean they have spray-on sunscreen, sport version even. I use it and seems to work. Might be a quicker way to get it at least on, then a quick smoothing out and you're good to go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vorkosigan posted:

I mean they have spray-on sunscreen, sport version even. I use it and seems to work. Might be a quicker way to get it at least on, then a quick smoothing out and you're good to go

I’ve been looking for a good alcohol free brand because the ones I have now I get the “aah! It burns!” and they always manage to get it in their eyes no matter how careful I am (Spray min hands, wipe gently onto forehead being careful about drips) so I abandoned that. Will look for that again but last time I was shopping there didn’t seem to be any, even the “kid friendly” ones which I tried.

The glue stick style might be good for faces but probably hard to get even coverage.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
You can pump and give the baby bottled milk as well just before you put them down. A NICU nurse told us when our first kid was 3-4 days old that nursing takes a lot of energy so the bottle will leave them a bit fuller for longer because they don’t have to work as hard. We did nursing during the daytime and in the mid-nights but had one or two bottles before big naps or sleep and it seemed to help the baby stay asleep.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone with the Hatch Rest know if there’s a way to manually start a program when your toddler keeps unplugging the goddamn thing and you don’t notice until after the program is supposed to switch on?

Because I haven’t yet found a way to manually start a program. As far as I can tell if the thing is unplugged when the program is supposed to start there’s no way to get it going manually once you’ve plugged it back in. Missed the time window because your toddler hosed with the device and unplugged it? Well gently caress you, our programs only work when its on at the specified time!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Just set the start time of the program to one or two minutes from now. And set the current settings to whatever the program is

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I have a video a friend of mine posted on FB that I'm trying to coax him into letting me share.

His kid won't try Rice-A-Roni so he and the mom basically take a strong stance in the "gotta try one bite of everything." Video starts with her clearly upset and in tears but gathering up the courage to take a bite. They're being very encouraging and cheering her on.

She takes a bite. Does the kid "I'm freaking out like there's a live lizard in my mouth" dance. Swallows the bite.

STANDS UP IN THE CHAIR.

Takes a beat.

And then vomits on the kitchen table.

It's like... Parenting.mp4

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our local pool just opened up and we've been long vaccinated

Besides a swim diaper, what should we bring for a 6 month old to an outdoor pool

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hadlock posted:

Our local pool just opened up and we've been long vaccinated

Besides a swim diaper, what should we bring for a 6 month old to an outdoor pool

Sun hat -- preferably one with both a visor and a neck flap, and mineral sunscreen. Long sleeve rashie top. You'll still want sunscreen on their hands and face even with the hat because light will reflect off the water. Hello from South Florida with two pale as gently caress kids, one of whom we suspect is a secret ginger (he's still pretty bald).

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe some arm floaties just in case because there's always potential for disaster near a pool and some swim shoes because the area around a pool can feel so rough on the feet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Our goal is to avoid the "gotta try it" ultimatum. Mrs pony is a pediatric dietitian and has seen it backfire too many times (although of course she's only seeing a self-selecting group of people who are having issues).

I know he isn't in the super picky phase yet but we've definitely hit the point where he doesn't immediately shove anything unfamiliar into his mouth and I've been having comically good luck with the "oh you aren't eating that? Score, more for me!" strategy. Dude does a literal double or triple take when he sees me steal some of his new food and eat it then immediately grabs and chomps on whatever chunk I reach for when I come back for another piece.

I don't look forward to him figuring out he's being played.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shifty Pony posted:

Our goal is to avoid the "gotta try it" ultimatum. Mrs pony is a pediatric dietitian and has seen it backfire too many times (although of course she's only seeing a self-selecting group of people who are having issues).

I know he isn't in the super picky phase yet but we've definitely hit the point where he doesn't immediately shove anything unfamiliar into his mouth and I've been having comically good luck with the "oh you aren't eating that? Score, more for me!" strategy. Dude does a literal double or triple take when he sees me steal some of his new food and eat it then immediately grabs and chomps on whatever chunk I reach for when I come back for another piece.

I don't look forward to him figuring out he's being played.

Yeah we def don't do a gotta try it for young kids. For our 6 year old we will have a reward for trying it which works. This was probably a 7 or 8 year old girl. He actually gave me permission to share it, but now I kinda feel bad because she's upset about having to try it. And while it's funny to see it escalate to actual vomit and we can all commiserate... I feel icky about showing a kid when they're actually upset.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My parents did the same thing in the Rice a Roni story to me with green peas.

Same result, vomit everywhere. To this day I really hate green peas. I can eat them in a stew or samosa or pot pie or whatever but I’ll definitely pick around them. Snap peas and edamame are cool though.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Once they get older, there's a pretty obvious difference between 'meh I don't think I want to try this because it's different / Tuesday / whatever' and 'holy poo poo this smell offends me'. For the first one, we ask pretty firmly for a single adventure bite. For the latter, we usually let it slide.

My seven year old will roll her eyes and huff over things in the first category, and squeals dramatically over things in the second like I served her a still-moving cockroach. Definitely a pick-your-battles option.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have to do the "taste it" with our 8 year old because he will refuse to eat things I know he would / does like. It's really frustrating. He thinks if he doesn't eat his dinner he can get a snack 30 minutes later even though this has never been a thing in our house so we have to stand firm. There are things I won't force him to try because I know he doesn't like such as mushrooms. The last one I can remember off the top of my head was I made pot roast, which he likes (and I am a good cook). He swore up and down he hated it and didn't want to eat it. I told him he has to try one bite. After a big ordeal he finally does and he ends up eating the whole thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

We have to do the "taste it" with our 8 year old because he will refuse to eat things I know he would / does like. It's really frustrating. He thinks if he doesn't eat his dinner he can get a snack 30 minutes later even though this has never been a thing in our house so we have to stand firm. There are things I won't force him to try because I know he doesn't like such as mushrooms. The last one I can remember off the top of my head was I made pot roast, which he likes (and I am a good cook). He swore up and down he hated it and didn't want to eat it. I told him he has to try one bite. After a big ordeal he finally does and he ends up eating the whole thing.

Things my 6 year old won't eat:

Mac'n'Cheese
Hot Dogs
PB&Js.

Like the three childhood staples... she won't eat.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

For my kid I think it's a control thing. He didn't pick it himself so even if he likes it / wants it, he gets mad he didn't get to say he wanted it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid told me today that it's a thing at school to see who can get the highest score on the dinosaur game. He's referring to the running dinosaur thing on Chrome when there's no internet connection. I'm not even mad he pulls it out on the school bus to play it. I'm pretty impressed with the ingenuity.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alterian posted:

My kid told me today that it's a thing at school to see who can get the highest score on the dinosaur game. He's referring to the running dinosaur thing on Chrome when there's no internet connection. I'm not even mad he pulls it out on the school bus to play it. I'm pretty impressed with the ingenuity.

The dodging net nannies to play neopets spirit lives on. That warms my heart to see everyone being able to play that version of Mario that ran on the ultra fancy calculators.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Met another parent in the wild in my neighborhood yesterday. Managed to have a whole-rear end conversation.

Saw them again today. They're vaccinated, were vaccinated, baby may be getting a friend soon.

I'm kinda shocked my social skills havent atrophied to nothing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I forgot Chrome did that. Good on him

re: fancy calculator games, I remember literally coding in Space Invaders on my TI86 in pre-calculus, and there was a bunch of us in pre-cal and physics who had it and we’d be constantly playing in study hall. I even rubbed it in my classmate’s face that I had hosed his score sideways. Joke’s on me, he was the valedictorian of the entire class of 2003 and was accepted into Harvard

But I beat his scrub rear end Space Invaders score so gently caress him

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Posted in my local fb neighborhood group.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’ve been reading the Rebel Girls books to our six year old and tonight’s story was about an author that wrote about apartheid in South Africa, worked with Nelson Mandela, etc. we had a good conversation about why apartheid was wrong (which it gave good examples of), and she also floored me that she knew it was still happening in the world today. “I read it in a book.”

Then as I was humming she interrupted me and said “daddy, if that ever happened in this country I would fight against it, even when you’re in heaven.”

Goddammit it feels good to know you’re doing something right.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 15, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
drat she loving rocks. I hope our daughter will be the same way when she's that age. I've purchased a few women in science books for her when she was born that I need to bust out for our bedtime reading.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
A+ parenting right there, great job.

When it comes to Women In Science(/Activism/Politics/Culture) books, I can’t recommend enough the Little People, Big Dreams series. The books are very nicely illustrated and are interesting enough to keep a parent engaged. Kind of pricy but a great deal if you can find them on sale or used.

Last night we read Marie Curie and Ada Lovelace, the night before was Ella Fitzgerald and Frida Kahlo.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

So me and my SO have been running into an issue with our daughter. She's 2.5 months old (adjusted age is a little over 1 week) and she's been struggling to sleep. I suspect she's only getting 8-10 hours a day. We switched her a couple weeks ago to a mixture of nutramigen and breast milk. Pretty much every day she doesn't sleep, and at night we can eventually get her to sleep at midnight (though sometimes it's even later than that). She was sleeping up until 2 or 3 weeks ago. We make sure to check her diaper, burp her, rock her, even give her some extra food. We've tried gripe water, but it doesn't seem to help either. Are there any other things we can do to help her sleep?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

When it comes to Women In Science(/Activism/Politics/Culture) books, I can’t recommend enough the Little People, Big Dreams series. The books are very nicely illustrated and are interesting enough to keep a parent engaged. Kind of pricy but

Last night we read Marie Curie and Ada Lovelace, the night before was Ella Fitzgerald and Frida Kahlo.

Thanks! Just picked up six of these

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HolyDukeNukem posted:

So me and my SO have been running into an issue with our daughter. She's 2.5 months old (adjusted age is a little over 1 week) and she's been struggling to sleep. I suspect she's only getting 8-10 hours a day. We switched her a couple weeks ago to a mixture of nutramigen and breast milk. Pretty much every day she doesn't sleep, and at night we can eventually get her to sleep at midnight (though sometimes it's even later than that). She was sleeping up until 2 or 3 weeks ago. We make sure to check her diaper, burp her, rock her, even give her some extra food. We've tried gripe water, but it doesn't seem to help either. Are there any other things we can do to help her sleep?

That early early week 1 was dominated by guilty cosleep. My only advice is to louden the white noise and darken the rooms. They're kinda like hawks in that they don't know what day or night is yet so if you just exist with them in a super dark room that might help. Silence has never helped.

Edit: spouse chimed in: warm baths took it out of our son. Knocked out like Tyson was the rubber ducky. Also skin to skin. Diaper baby, on you chest, robe over the top of the both of you. Baby will squirm for a long while, these skin to skin actions lasted for an hour before we could transfer to crib.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 15, 2021

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

In a monkey’s paw type of scenario, the baby slept a 6 hour stretch. Then basically refused to sleep after 3:30am, choosing instead to demand eye contact.

Kids, man.

e: fell asleep just in time for the toddler to wake up cool cool cool

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 15, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

citybeatnik posted:

And yeah that's what i figured with my stepdaughter. She's just developed a mean streak at times and is pushing more boundaries. We're under a lot of stress (same as every other parent) and are worried about rear end in a top hat taking the entire month of July again so my wife's especially anxious.

FWIW, I've read in a book on developmental psychology that most personality disorders can't be diagnosed until the late teens, because kid's personalities are so fluid (and are supposed to be fluid) up 'til then. I'm talking actual personality disorders like psychopathy/antisocial, borderline syndrome, dependent PD, narcissistic PD, etc, not just someone being kind of a dick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

After only a few days with the newborn home I’ve realized I’m a fan of the toddler phase more than the baby phase. Sure my toddler doesn’t listen to me 90% of the time and drives me crazy, but at least he’s not making GBS threads and puking everywhere.

At least we realized we were woefully underfeeding the kid the first night (like 10 ml a feeding plus whatever he got through the boob). Now my wife’s producing more milk and we’re supplementing formula and he looks way better.

I don’t think either hospital told us how much to feed the kids except to feed every 2-3 hours. In the hospital they had us use these little 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and the lactation consultants and nurses were saying how good we’re doing and how much my wife was producing. We just assumed it would be only a little more the first night. I think we should have been doing 1-2 ounces a feeding instead maybe? Right now on day 5 he’s between 2-3 ounces a feeding every 3 hours. If I remember right the goal is 24 oz a day.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 15, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

nwin posted:

After only a few days with the newborn home I’ve realized I’m a fan of the toddler phase more than the baby phase. Sure my toddler doesn’t listen to me 90% of the time and drives me crazy, but at least he’s not making GBS threads and puking everywhere.

At least we realized we were woefully underfeeding the kid the first night (like 10 ml a feeding plus whatever he got through the boob). Now my wife’s producing more milk and we’re supplementing formula and he looks way better.

I don’t think either hospital told us how much to feed the kids except to feed every 2-3 hours. In the hospital they had us use these little 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and the lactation consultants and nurses were saying how good we’re doing and how much my wife was producing. We just assumed it would be only a little more the first night. I think we should have been doing 1-2 ounces a feeding instead maybe? Right now on day 5 he’s between 2-3 ounces a feeding every 3 hours. If I remember right the goal is 24 oz a day.

Yea, we had a similar experience where it wasn’t super clear how much we should be feeding. The 24oz/1 per hour was recommended to us in her 2nd or 3rd week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, we had a similar experience where it wasn’t super clear how much we should be feeding. The 24oz/1 per hour was recommended to us in her 2nd or 3rd week.

Yeah we’re just a little pissed that we had our pediatrician appointment and the doc said he lost more weight but never bothered to ask how much we were feeding because he “should regain it in the first two weeks”. A little info could have saved a bit of stress!