Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

calandryll posted:

My wife and I were reading in bed last night when we heard some kitchen cabinets open and closed. Wife said it was probably the cats, I got up to check on the kiddo and nope not in bed. She moved like a ninja, we didn't hear a door open, or see her, or hear her footsteps, to get some more fruit snacks.

Rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

calandryll posted:

My wife and I were reading in bed last night when we heard some kitchen cabinets open and closed. Wife said it was probably the cats, I got up to check on the kiddo and nope not in bed. She moved like a ninja, we didn't hear a door open, or see her, or hear her footsteps, to get some more fruit snacks.

Hell yeah lol

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

calandryll posted:

This is my oldest, I keep telling him my heart's dodgy and not to sneak up on me like that. I never hear him, I'll just sense a presence at my elbow.

The younger is, to borrow an amazing phrase from another thread, about as stealthy as two skeletons loving in a trashcan.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't Wake Daddy, the game show

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One of the nice parts of living in an old house.

The floors and stairs squeak enough that you could wake the dead trying to sneak out.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

One of the nice parts of living in an old house.

The floors and stairs squeak enough that you could wake the dead trying to sneak out.

:Negativeman: I needed to preform a ballet everytime I put my kid down, figuring out what spots in the wood floor we over the beams so they wouldn't creak as much. One of these years if we don't move I'm gonna cut the ceiling below out and brace the subfloor to hell and back.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Walking without rhythm through the hallway of infinite creeks after I put a baby down.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I feel like an idiot for being clueless about this, but what are you supposed to do when your kid enters kindergarten, but my work hours are way different? The school district can provide transportation to kindergarten, but only if it’s within the district. My kid’s daycare is on the other side of the city… Am I supposed to be finding a different daycare for my older child? What happens in the summer when school is out but I’m still working? Like, two different daycares for different times of the year??

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid's school has before and after care at the school. Its significantly less pay than an daycare as well.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Alterian posted:

My kid's school has before and after care at the school. Its significantly less pay than an daycare as well.

Same here.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Most school districts have an aftercare program that is pretty cheap, yeah. They may or may not be very good. In my area there are also two afterschool programs (one run by a martial arts studio, the other run by a synagogue that also has a preschool) that pick the kids up for you and take them to the afterschool program.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Before and after care are the name of what you're looking for.

Our day care does it, but they only provide transport to a handful of schools and ours isn't one of them, so next fall our oldest is out. Probably come back for summer unless we find other arrangements.

Some of our local schools partner with the YMCA in the area for before/after care, and luckily our assigned school is a location where they do it at the school (rather than at a YMCA). Apparently it fills up fast, though, so you have to pay attention... we'll see. Registration isn't open yet, and if that falls through I don't know what we'll do. Might have to find another day care that does transport to our school I guess! That or radically upend our work schedule.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Before and after care are the name of what you're looking for.

Our day care does it, but they only provide transport to a handful of schools and ours isn't one of them, so next fall our oldest is out. Probably come back for summer unless we find other arrangements.

Some of our local schools partner with the YMCA in the area for before/after care, and luckily our assigned school is a location where they do it at the school (rather than at a YMCA). Apparently it fills up fast, though, so you have to pay attention... we'll see. Registration isn't open yet, and if that falls through I don't know what we'll do. Might have to find another day care that does transport to our school I guess! That or radically upend our work schedule.

I just remembered we sort of live in the same area because we are on the same Nextdoor. Now I am curious which daycare you are having issues with. I'm happy my kid's school does their own after school instead of doing the Y after school. He's gone to YMCA track out camps and is not super thrilled by them. Its unfortunate they are one of the few in this area that does track out camps for a reasonable price.

Edit: Is the initials of the daycare CDC?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Around here Boys and Girls Club will do an after school care, maybe even before day as well.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

What are people's thoughts on braces for young kids? My 7yo has several classmates in first grade with braces, and at her recent dentist visit, they said they may recommend them for her next visit. She's only lost 2 of her baby teeth. Am I too old school in thinking braces with baby teeth seems silly?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had braces when I was 8 and my teeth are still janky as hell. Just based off of personal experience it seems to work better for people who are older, but I am not an expert.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Heading off shortly to check out the in-home daycare. I think i'm officially done with our son's current school since he's spent the last week crying about going, running crying to us when we pick him up, and i think their push to get him to poo poo on the potty is just upsetting him more.

We could get him to sit on the potty over the weekend and earlier in the week and actually go. But now he's actively avoiding it. Time to just cut bait.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

What are people's thoughts on braces for young kids? My 7yo has several classmates in first grade with braces, and at her recent dentist visit, they said they may recommend them for her next visit. She's only lost 2 of her baby teeth. Am I too old school in thinking braces with baby teeth seems silly?

They've warned us that our 3yo is going to need braces due to him sucking his thumb. That seems like a problem for future Citybeatnik and not the ones within the next four years. Why bother if their baby teeth are still in place?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

This is dumb. Do not give your seven year old braces and switch dentists.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I wouldn’t say it’s too early. I probably should have had braces as a kid since my teeth came in so close together that one came jutting out the front of my gums. The braces’ job is to spread the teeth out to give more space for the adult teeth to come in.

I had to have dental surgery for a root canal and they just removed my “walrus tooth” tooth for me. Just weeks before high school graduation too. When I had another tooth removed, my teeth straightened out a bunch on their own.

I have no idea what people do with kids in summer and after school. My mom was a teacher, so our vacation lined up with hers. I just had to wait in the school lobby for her to pick me up until I was old enough to just walk home myself at 8 years old. Small town latchkey kid in the 90’s I guess.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Like kids skulls don't really set in right until puberty right? I dunno, like putting braces on at that age seems silly unless they have teeth jacked up to the medical definition point where it gets in the way of eating.

I got 2 year overbite braces at like 12 and it shfted back most the way by the time I left highschool. I think biosculpting your kids is cool, it just seems like a bad value proposition, those teeth will go back to hosed up during teenage years.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The dentist is trying to lock your kid in as their patient for the next 10 years. Cosmetic dentistry is full of con artists and it is not as well regulated or evidenced based as regular medical doctors. Unless your kid has very obviously hosed up teeth or an actual diagnosable medical issue and confirmed by multiple dentists that are well trusted, they are absolutely just trying to get money out of you.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My oldest is 7 and has a palatal expander, not necessarily braces, but still orthodontic. Her teeth were coming in twisted and pointing in and outward.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
When do the illnesses stop. When do the when do the illnesses stop. stop. When do the illnesses stop. please. please make it stop. stop. oh god. here's another cough.

I've never been sicker more frequently in with so many varieties of symptoms and strength degrees in my decades of life, I'm losing my mind! This winter is GARBAGE and I want and pray I can keep my poor boys from another week of sickies holy guacamole!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Never. By the time you become immune to your kid's diseases they will make newer kids with future diseases.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We started tracking my daughter with an orthodontist at this age because it was clear she had my genes and would need early intervention to avoid impacting (literally) teeth. He’s currently managing space by removing baby teeth if they don’t fall out on their own. He doesn’t recommend starting with braces until kids are older and have done more skull growing and have more permanent teeth. He said studies didn’t show any greater outcome in starting young, and much worse compliance and habits when trying to work with such young kids.

For reference my kid has and will have severe overcrowding and will likely need a pallet expansion and might need to lose some permanent teeth.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

OH YEAH and if your dentist is trying to sell you crap for managing teeth spacing or crowding, run. They seem to love over-functioning with mouthguards and ‘oh it’s about the airway so we can definitely mess with teeth spacing with this totally not-a-retainer’. Go get a consult with an orthodontist. They’re usually free.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
4am wake up call: MOM MY BACK BONE IS WOBBLY
4:30: Mom I want waaaaaaater
4:45: Mom, hey mom, hey mom, when I went potty yesterday I forgot to wipe my butt
5:00: Mom my tummy is angry that I drank that water

Well now I have to be up for work anyway.

This week has been absolute hell for sleep. Monday and Tuesday someone was up every two hours and was up for good at 4am. Wednesday was the worst, possibly ever, my daughter took 2.5 hours to go to sleep then was doing this weird whine/cry thing and kicking and going NO in a semi sleep state for LITERALLY THE ENTIRE NIGHT, and my son wouldn’t sleep unless he was on top of me, so I got zero sleep. Then last night was okay, except that my daughter was up three times and then again was up at 4.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry you're dealing with that. My kid has also been having a really awful sleep week so I feel you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

KirbyKhan posted:

Never. By the time you become immune to your kid's diseases they will make newer kids with future diseases.

This is the worst part. They're like little gene ambassadors who go out in the world with your genome sequence and expose it to attacks, then bring back the successfully targeted variant to destroy you

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm glad my kid inherited my iron clad immune system.

Because it's sure as hell not from good hygiene. Please stop handing me boogers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Koivunen posted:

I feel like an idiot for being clueless about this, but what are you supposed to do when your kid enters kindergarten, but my work hours are way different? The school district can provide transportation to kindergarten, but only if it’s within the district. My kid’s daycare is on the other side of the city… Am I supposed to be finding a different daycare for my older child? What happens in the summer when school is out but I’m still working? Like, two different daycares for different times of the year??

There should be a municipal social worker you should be able to ask this and who should help you sort it out if you're in Finland.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp, looks like we're going with the inhome daycare. Woman's been in childcare for 20 years, her business has 0 citations or violations, she's understanding re potty training, and she has 5 other kids (two 2yos, 3 5yos) so he'll be getting individual attention.

Breakfast, snacks, and lunch included. And the price is on par with what we're paying now as opposed to the "holy *poo poo*" increase for the commercial ones.

Koivunen posted:

4am wake up call: MOM MY BACK BONE IS WOBBLY
4:30: Mom I want waaaaaaater
4:45: Mom, hey mom, hey mom, when I went potty yesterday I forgot to wipe my butt
5:00: Mom my tummy is angry that I drank that water

Well now I have to be up for work anyway.

This week has been absolute hell for sleep. Monday and Tuesday someone was up every two hours and was up for good at 4am. Wednesday was the worst, possibly ever, my daughter took 2.5 hours to go to sleep then was doing this weird whine/cry thing and kicking and going NO in a semi sleep state for LITERALLY THE ENTIRE NIGHT, and my son wouldn’t sleep unless he was on top of me, so I got zero sleep. Then last night was okay, except that my daughter was up three times and then again was up at 4.

I feel you on this front so you have my sympathies. My SiL is visiting for the week and despite her actually spending a night in my daughter's room the kid *still* woke up at 3a and came into our room because she had a bad dream and needed an adult.

My wife and i have been *destroyed* this last week and it's stirred up my brain goblins.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 27, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

This is dumb. Do not give your seven year old braces and switch dentists.

Explicitly this. ^^

Our dentist recommended a thing called myobrace. It was like a football mouth guard to sleep in . Problem? Easily lost as it's clear silicone. Positive? It does seem to work and notably isn't braces. It's usually covered by insurance and also fits with kids at 8 losing their kid teeth and all that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dear god no!

I thought the sleeping was supposed to get better as time went on! I cant survive a newborn AND a toddler not sleeping. Last week was hell for ours because she was sick but shes been pretty routinely sleeping from 7pm to 5-6ish this week at least.

We must have a new snow plow driver in our area though because we've had loud as gently caress scraping noises outside our house all this week from a truck at like 3am.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddler hates sleep and we're having another one in July so I'm just never going to ever sleep again

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm just never going to ever sleep again

Thread title.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Dear god no!

I thought the sleeping was supposed to get better as time went on! I cant survive a newborn AND a toddler not sleeping. Last week was hell for ours because she was sick but shes been pretty routinely sleeping from 7pm to 5-6ish this week at least.

We must have a new snow plow driver in our area though because we've had loud as gently caress scraping noises outside our house all this week from a truck at like 3am.

So....take this as one small example, just one...but

We never did the "sleep training," thing for either child. One is 3 months so far; the other is terrific two, going on threenager. The two-year-old has finally found his comfort zone and sleeps through the night, but it only started after papa started sleeping in a twin sized bed beside his toddler bed.

He would often wake up for comfort prior to this. Now that he understands that papa is always with him, he began sleeping better and better each night.

It's an extreme example. It's hard to not sleep beside a partner, but it's better to get some sleep.

I am finally getting 7-8 hours of consistent sleep! It's amazing! He wakes me up at 6am on the dot and suggests that we go play, and that's what we do until the mama and baby brother wakes up. We have a consistent, persistent routine and it's everything I always dreamed of (and I'm dreaming again!).

My poor wife, however, she's still in sleepless purgatory. I feel a pang of guilt that I allay with breakfasts in bed and immediate support in the morning, but she is still on that sleepless sojourn in the dark as our new boy tends to wake for feeding every other hour. After a few nights where the toddler is finally sleeping through the night without a single wake-up or accident, we haven't decided on the next phase.

I like sleep.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
My daughter usually sings quietly to herself until she falls asleep. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That's a bit wild unless there are issues with impacted teeth, developing a serious overbite/underbite, jaw stuff, etc - I had braces for years but only after pretty much all my baby teeth had fallen out, which was helped by playing hockey constantly.

I was fortunate enough to win the genetic lottery with how healthy my teeth have been from the start, but I had an overbite and some serious crowding issues that took a long time to correct. At one point I had braces, used rubber bands, a retainer, and headgear but thankfully only at night. By the time I was in 7th grade or so, they were ready to come off and although my lower teeth crowded in just a tiny bit, it can't be understated what it does to confidence, your appearance, all that

We never had any weird stuff pushed on us like spacing teeth out unless it was absolutely needed, but my mouth was hosed up when I was younger so I'm thankful my family had the money to get it done