Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

calandryll posted:

Same, but she'll clean up at school. When we ask her at home it takes 3 days for her to move 3 feet to put something away.

At times, I think it's just karmic justice for being a shithead teenager.

Same on that karma front. There was a a day where I showed toddler boy that we had to make a winding path to walk around the scattered toys and blocks. Had a flashback to when I was a wee lad and made my own lil walking path in my room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

External Organs posted:

My kid has been reaching into her pullups to scratch her rear end recently and yesterday got a ton of poo poo on her hand. After I changed her and washed her hands, she proceeded to rub her eyes for like 25 seconds straight. I hope I washed her hands good enough! :stonklol:

Ugh

Goddamn

Kids really get the gently caress IN THERE when they rub they eyes too, it's hellish

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a hand sanitizer dispenser on the way out the door from daycare, I use it every day

I know in the end it won't protect me, but I like to pretend it helps

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Finished up a 2 hour bedtime routine that included 90 consecutive minutes of screaming. Trying a Ferber type approach but have moved him into the pack and play by the foot of our bed so that when he wakes up in the middle of the night he sees us and just goes back to sleep.

After 90 minutes of ceaseless melodramatic screeching and wailing, he said “water please”. I turned on the bedside light, handed him his water bottle, he drank it, handed it back, he rolled over, and he went to sleep. What the gently caress.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

After 90 minutes of ceaseless melodramatic screeching and wailing, he said “water please”. I turned on the bedside light, handed him his water bottle, he drank it, handed it back, he rolled over, and he went to sleep. What the gently caress.

Ah yes the brief moment of clarity, "I'm not going to bed without some kind of perceived win"

I alternate between reverse psychology and putting a third option by the door and then asking them to choose between choices 1 and 2 and then give them the third choice when they think they're being clever asking for #3 (because pick a or b doesn't work any more)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Our good little sleeper has started screaming bloody murder after we turn off the lights and leave the room for bedtime, and also wakes up an hour earlier. I am sure he will go back to his usual routine just in time for more teeth to erupt.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Our 1 month old seems to really only sleep well on the breastfeeding pillow cuddled up against mom. If we transfer him to a bassinet, he's usually awake again within 15 minutes and fusses until he's back on mom again. I am apparently not a suitable substitute from his POV, and also I need to be working during the day. This means my wife ends up spending pretty much the entire day sitting on the couch holding him, and increasingly doing so in the night too as he's started waking up again 30 minutes after a feeding. She basically prefers to just sit there in a funk with the lights off because "it works" but I feel like this is basically a perfect recipe for depression.

I know that at this age, things are changing frequently, but any suggestions would be welcome. We have him swaddled when we put him down. He doesn't seem quite big enough to be interested by the toys we show him etc., so it's a bit of a challenge to figure out what might keep him entertained (read: not screaming) when awake in the bassinet. The doctor gave us the OK to try pacifiers at the 1 month appointment, but he's only interested maybe 20% of the time.

edit: yesterday he spent like 15 minutes mostly happy in the bouncy chair and even accidentally spun the little toys that mount to it! Then he started to scream.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I feel like one month olds are mostly sentient potatoes and just want to eat and be held. Have you tried a wrap or a baby carrier? That way your wife can do stuff while holding the baby or like, go for a walk. Our baby basically lived in Tula Free-to-Grow during the day from when he was two weeks to two months. (At 3 1/2 months he can entertain himself in a baby björn or play mat for 40 minutes).

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Yeah, I was going to suggest a baby wrap or carrier of some sort. I liked the baby k'tan for our first as a sort of more structured wrap, and I grabbed a mesh konny wrap for our second since she'll be a summer baby. No idea how it compares since baby's still got a few weeks to cook.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We have been using a Tula something-or-other occasionally and it works pretty well although he mostly just sleeps. We've used it for meals and for walks. I will suggest that she try it more often, thank you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turn on the TV really loud and put on some trashy show like the Jerry Springer show. I'm not joking. It might be too quiet, the womb is crazy loud, most people compare it to having a vacuum cleaner running 24/7. White noise machines exist too. Baby probably is used to hearing moms heartbeat and breathing.

Also you can think about switching to formula so Dad is an equal caregiver and take some load off mom. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons that's been discussed to death here already

Agree with sentient potato, although I usually say houseplant

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We have SO much white noise going.

If nothing else takes, I get my son to sleep by putting on youtubes of monster trucks. Loud and monotonous seems to do it.

Edit: oh, right, he's two though not... a baby... anymore... :smith:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Hadlock posted:

Turn on the TV really loud and put on some trashy show like the Jerry Springer show. I'm not joking. It might be too quiet, the womb is crazy loud, most people compare it to having a vacuum cleaner running 24/7. White noise machines exist too. Baby probably is used to hearing moms heartbeat and breathing.

Also you can think about switching to formula so Dad is an equal caregiver and take some load off mom. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons that's been discussed to death here already

Agree with sentient potato, although I usually say houseplant

Don't even need to swap fully, just one or two feedings to give your wife some time to sleep baby free can do real wonders. Only downside might be a reduction in milk production, but she can pump to get it back up if needed. Seconding the white noise too, it can really help.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Weirdly, the only two things that ever worked for my baby daughter were smoothed brown noise or LOUD HIP-HOP. No in-betweens. Put on some bassy rap and she'd be out in seconds.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
And above all, like you said - this changes fast. A day can seem super long in the trenches, but soon the baby will nap for substantial periods and you can even get stuff done. One day there will even be a bedtime and some reasonable expectation of sleeping through the night, and potentially trading off days waking up at 5-6am instead of all night with the other sleeping till 7:30 or 8. The luxury!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gremlin had his first PT session to help with his torticollis and it didn't go as bad as I thought it was going to go. The lady was super nice with him and he took to her immediately. She taught my wife and I some easier ways of doing the neck exercises that would help and he didn't lose his poo poo immediately.

PT says that he's not as bad as she thought he was going to be and she even brought out some stuff to read that explained where he should be at 5 months (he's 7 months but we have to adjust 2). Another session is scheduled for Thursday, the goal right now is to try for 1-3 minutes of tummy time (which he absolutely hates lol).

I'm hopeful for the little man :unsmith:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the jump from 30 days to six weeks feels like forever but the baby chills way the gently caress out in those ~14 days as their stomach grows to a reasonable size.

Someday, very soon probably, you'll poke or wake up the baby because you thought it was sleeping too long or couldn't wake up on it's own or something absurd like that

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Very cool how most tips people have for the first couple months is "keep your head down and just survive" lol.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Converting our toddlers crib into a toddler bed has resulted in him hanging out next to the door from 8:00pm to 10:00pm, intermittently yelling out to be included, then passing out.

I usually check on him throughout, especially since he poops at 8:20 frighteningly consistently. I put down a pillow for him to crash on.

Mom and Grandma keep wanting me to lift him into bed as soon as his head lays on the ground and I keep having to explain that "No, he is tricking you, he is not asleep yet, wait 15 minutes before getting me" as he pops up like a daisy and latches onto an adult's leg. His lil Solid Snake trick works on them perfectly like they're two different generations of Johnny the Diarrhea Having Guard.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

We have SO much white noise going.

Most nights our bedroom has the fan going, the white noise thingy in the bassinet running, and the Hatch playing ocean noises ($70 for a Bluetooth noise generator & nightlight and it can't stream music like a $20 BT speaker? whatever, somebody bought it for us).

I'm not sure if it helps the baby much but it's surely training me to need a womb-like sleeping environment.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Skeezy posted:

Very cool how most tips people have for the first couple months is "keep your head down and just survive" lol.

I wish I would have been able to get in that mindset myself because I drove myself crazy trying to "fix" things and get us on a schedule that felt sustainable but like, it's a fools errand. Newborns don't do schedules and it didn't have to be sustainable because it's a short time (even though it feels endless) It does get easier and you will be able to figure out routines. But those first two months you just gotta get yourself into survival mode, whatever that looks like for you and your family.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

marchantia posted:

I wish I would have been able to get in that mindset myself because I drove myself crazy trying to "fix" things and get us on a schedule that felt sustainable but like, it's a folks errand. It does get easier and you will be able to figure out routines. But those first two months you just gotta get yourself into survival mode.

I hit a point where I just got tired of reading the blogs and using stupid apps to min/max baby care. Eventually I realized that naturally my wife and I were making schedules and doing all that without even worrying.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Brawnfire posted:

Weirdly, the only two things that ever worked for my baby daughter were smoothed brown noise or LOUD HIP-HOP. No in-betweens. Put on some bassy rap and she'd be out in seconds.

Purely anecdotal but I've found anything with loud thumping bass is soothing, probably because it sounds like a heartbeat

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Skeezy posted:

I hit a point where I just got tired of reading the blogs and using stupid apps to min/max baby care. Eventually I realized that naturally my wife and I were making schedules and doing all that without even worrying.

My life got easier when I realized that things like Wonder Weeks are bullshit, wake windows are mostly made up, and 90% of the sleep schedules you read online use the maximum of whatever range of sleep is normal at a given age. It’s all built to convince parents that (a) their kid is abnormal in some way and (b) buying this specific product will solve all of their problems.

The first 3 months are basically survival mode. Try to keep the baby fed and diapered, and try not to kill yourself (or your marriage / other support systems) in the process. Everything else is a pleasant surprise.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xand_Man posted:

Purely anecdotal but I've found anything with loud thumping bass is soothing, probably because it sounds like a heartbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEAiV9MatA

Makes me go *snoooooor* "mimimimimimimi*

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

in_cahoots posted:

My life got easier when I realized that things like Wonder Weeks are bullshit, wake windows are mostly made up, and 90% of the sleep schedules you read online use the maximum of whatever range of sleep is normal at a given age. It’s all built to convince parents that (a) their kid is abnormal in some way and (b) buying this specific product will solve all of their problems.

The first 3 months are basically survival mode. Try to keep the baby fed and diapered, and try not to kill yourself (or your marriage / other support systems) in the process. Everything else is a pleasant surprise.

Yea this basically

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just had a scary thing happen, looking for some input since googling isn't helping.

Took my 2yo to the outdoor pool this afternoon. The ambient temp was 82 degrees and it has been mostly sunny today but when we got there it was cloudy and a little breezy. It got sunny again after 10 min.

She played in the wading pool and splash pad thing for about 20-30 min then very suddenly started shivering and arms legs became purple/blue ish, obviously very very mild start of hypothermia. Pulled her out of her suit and swim diaper, put dry clothes on and held her with the towel and she stops shivering, legs and arms return to normal after I rub them a little with the towel.

We're at home and she's very normal, core is and was always warm, legs and arms feel cool ish but they're normal color and toes etc look pink to me now. She's acting fine.

A: should I still take her to the doctor because this happened?
B: is there anything else I should be concerned about in this case?
C: what the gently caress? I know little kids are obviously susceptible to temperatures but it was like very sudden and I'm flummoxed.

Feeling like a real rear end in a top hat right now

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

in_cahoots posted:

Put this is da OP

hallo spacedog posted:

Just had a scary thing happen, looking for some input since googling isn't helping.

Took my 2yo to the outdoor pool this afternoon. The ambient temp was 82 degrees and it has been mostly sunny today but when we got there it was cloudy and a little breezy. It got sunny again after 10 min.

She played in the wading pool and splash pad thing for about 20-30 min then very suddenly started shivering and arms legs became purple/blue ish, obviously very very mild start of hypothermia. Pulled her out of her suit and swim diaper, put dry clothes on and held her with the towel and she stops shivering, legs and arms return to normal after I rub them a little with the towel.

We're at home and she's very normal, core is and was always warm, legs and arms feel cool ish but they're normal color and toes etc look pink to me now. She's acting fine.

C: what the gently caress? I know little kids are obviously susceptible to temperatures but it was like very sudden and I'm flummoxed.

Nah this sounds pretty normal to be honest. I wouldn't worry.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, very normal.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

hallo spacedog posted:

My toddler would get surprisingly shivery/chattery in pools on occasion, never turned blue/purple. We live in south Florida so it was always really hot. I think it’s just their small body mass or kid temp regulation or something. He always bounced back immediately.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much if they’re acting normal now. Maybe just limit time in the water next time if it’s chilly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

then very suddenly started shivering and arms legs became purple/blue ish, obviously very very mild start of hypothermia.

We have a pool and ours likes to hang out (supervised) on the first and second submerged steps of the pool. The pool water is 70-74F so far and haven't experienced that with her in the water, but she wears a life jacket. This is like a 2-3 time a week thing

After she comes inside, after her life jacket is off she'll start shivering in the time it takes me to walk across the room to get the towel and come back "i'm cold"

Haven't seen purple/blue coloration yet

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The lil lip tremble shiver is the saddest thing in the world. I understand freaking out about it, but you did the thing and warmed em back up. They will let you know if they are about to lose a finger or toe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

It makes sense; also mommy was spittin' mad fire when she was in the womb so that's also comforting

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

space uncle posted:

I think it’s just their small body mass or kid temp regulation or something.

Kids have a way higher surface area : body mass ratio than adults, so they cool off really fast. Water's a way better conductor of heat than air, so even a "warm" pool is sucking out body temperature.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Kids have a way higher surface area : body mass ratio than adults, so they cool off really fast. Water's a way better conductor of heat than air, so even a "warm" pool is sucking out body temperature.

Ah that’s a way better explanation, you’re right. Good ole square cube law. Somebody throw a bunch of toddlers into ANSYS and let me know what it looks like.

Of course the physicist’s children are all featureless black spheres but you’re not allowed to call them ugly.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Just another voice saying don't worry about chilly baby. You noticed quickly, it was fixed quickly and before she was in any serious danger. Parenting working as intended, don't beat yourself up about it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My three year old somehow learned a kid at daycares last name (Mitchell*) and told me she was reading a "chapter book" called "Oliver Mitchell is stinky"

We weren't sure how she learned his last name until she was pretending to talk to him and said OLIVER MITCHELL STOP HITTING [my kids name]. So I guess that's why he's stinky.

*Not actually his name I don't want to dox a three year old

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

marchantia posted:

Just another voice saying don't worry about chilly baby. You noticed quickly, it was fixed quickly and before she was in any serious danger. Parenting working as intended, don't beat yourself up about it.

Thanks, to everyone who is saying that same thing. It's easy to get inside my head about stuff since she is my first/only

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

in_cahoots posted:

Oh and this never ends by the way. Kids have a magical sense for when is the worst time to alter sleep. My son dropped his 2nd nap on Thanksgiving. He dropped his remaining nap on my first day of a new WFH job. Now he suddenly decided to start waking up 2hrs earlier just a couple days after his baby sister came home.

I love it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Me: I just gotta finish this up real quick and I'll play with you, bud.
My son hears: I shan't stoop to play with you, ever! I weary of your tedious requests! Begone, foul wretch! Cease thy prattle, and stop thy tears!!!