Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not sure if this helps but my 2yo and 4yo love sharing a room, which became necessary with our third newborn. Although there were initially some nights of resistance/regret on their part.

Most of my mom's side of the family, from grandparents to current cousins, all grew up 2 or three to a room, I dunno about the last 15 years but in the past it's been very common, and probably still doable today

That said yeah with family planning, if right now is not the right time... Then that is fine. It's not at all uncommon to take firm steps for family planning like you're suggesting. There's no wrong answer here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I love being in the middle of a pandemic and then getting minimum 2 day boil water notice because e coli is detected in your water system. Why not make things more of a challenge?

PacoTheThird
Oct 23, 2008

BonoMan posted:

God I love being in the middle of a pandemic and then getting minimum 2 day boil water notice because e coli is detected in your water system. Why not make things more of a challenge?

We had a water main break nearby when we had a three week old, also forcing us to boil our water for a week. At least we weren't also simultaneously dealing with a pandemic, but I still feel you. It was awful.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

He is 3 months old and just slept 8 hours straight at night for the first time.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

L0cke17 posted:

He is 3 months old and just slept 8 hours straight at night for the first time.

Hi I just finished rocking a 6 week old to sleep for the 8th time since 2 am and I just would like to say :bang:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I watch a lot of cartoons on my phone when I'm rocking my babies to sleep.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I watch a lot of cartoons on my phone when I'm rocking my babies to sleep.

I read all of y the last man while rocking my son to sleep when he was an infant.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I found that 22-minute episodes of King of the Hill were the perfect length for rocking a newborn to sleep.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I played games on my Wii u. The room I rocked my son in was just close enough that I could take it with me. Parents nowadays could just play switch.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I watched a lot of netflix or browsed a lot of imgur.

She's almost 2 so we do still have some bad nights from teething but it's rare.

It gets better. I know that doesn't help and I used to get irritated when someone would tell me that, but now I get it.

Mini family rant: Very long story short, daughter missed her nap yesterday because of my family. Her nap always, ALWAYS starts at noon. (ALWAYS!!!!). She has a very tight schedule and it's not my doing. Naptime is all because of daycare, that's when they do it. But as far as bed time and wake up, that is all her. She wants to go to bed at 7p and wake up at 6a. I don't know why, but it makes her happy. She is a stupidly happy toddler. Why does my family have some sort of weird problem with this? Did me and my siblings, cousins, etc just do whatever our parents did? Did we stay up until 10 pm because there was a family gathering? Maybe. Maybe that's why my family is so messed up. Is it just me that believes in schedules and that sleep is actually a GOOD thing?? (I'm the only one in the area that has a very young child right now). That we shouldn't run around sleep deprived and make our children sleep deprived too?? :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Family loving up schedules is a consistent annoyance with us too, to the point of we’ve essentially just banned drop-ins without any prior notice (even before covid) because of how disruptive it is. It would usually be my dad who would do it, leading to me getting poo poo from my wife, so I just told him look you can’t do this anymore. We have a schedule. If you can come during this time when she’s up awesome otherwise gonna have to wait til she’s older.

Feels good to stick to it and reduce one element of the nonstop chaos of life.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm blessed that the guy seems to conk out faster with me than with my wife. She's rewatching Scrubs as her go-to sleepy baby media.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

I read all of y the last man while rocking my son to sleep when he was an infant.

I think I did that too!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We don't gently caress around with naptime. It's a hard boundary and if people are salty about it they can kiss my whole rear end because they aren't the ones dealing with the fallout.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

marchantia posted:

We don't gently caress around with naptime. It's a hard boundary and if people are salty about it they can kiss my whole rear end because they aren't the ones dealing with the fallout.

:agreed: doubly so when they know you have a schedule and still show up whenever or show up hours late and it is impinging on naptime. Tough poo poo, sorry we’re closed!

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
I've blunted some of the construction truck toddler obsession with dinosaurs, but it was intense there for awhile. As a bit of a birder, this kid is going to get a heavy dose of birds/nature whether he likes it or not.

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/1276509803217653760

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I showed my toddlers Star Trek today and there were a lot of questions, starting with "why aren't they all floating?" ("Because it's too hard on the actors.")

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My mom is a real fucker about putting rusty down for naps when she watches him (“I don’t want to waste any time with him”). I’m never early to pick him up, this meltdown at 5pm is your doing.

We are currently shifting from two naps to one (wife seems convinced that THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS NOW) despite him always being tired at 0800 and 1400 and sleeping from 18-1900 to 0600. He misses two naps and she’s like “guess he just does one nap now”.

She’s back to work and I’m the M-F baby watcher so we will see what happens now...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My son found a big, lumpy potatoe at the grandparents place and now he wants to keep it as a pet/stuffed toy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’d encourage that as kids toys can be so expensive in relation to how easily they break.

I don’t know how to get my kid on a normal sleep schedule as he’ll sleep late but take 4 hour naps that are unfortunately in the late afternoon/early evening which makes it difficult to get him to sleep when everyone else is trying to sleep.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

TV Zombie posted:

I’d encourage that as kids toys can be so expensive in relation to how easily they break.

I don’t know how to get my kid on a normal sleep schedule as he’ll sleep late but take 4 hour naps that are unfortunately in the late afternoon/early evening which makes it difficult to get him to sleep when everyone else is trying to sleep.

I would start waking him up at a set time in the morning and try to get naps to end a set amount of time before you'd like him to go down at night. This might mean waking him up but it really works itself out after a few admittedly stressful days of schedule shifting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My toddlers aren't allowed to have any friends during the pandemic but they have lots of cardboard boxes to play with.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Big Taint posted:

My mom is a real fucker about putting rusty down for naps when she watches him (“I don’t want to waste any time with him”). I’m never early to pick him up, this meltdown at 5pm is your doing.

We are currently shifting from two naps to one (wife seems convinced that THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS NOW) despite him always being tired at 0800 and 1400 and sleeping from 18-1900 to 0600. He misses two naps and she’s like “guess he just does one nap now”.

She’s back to work and I’m the M-F baby watcher so we will see what happens now...

How old is Rusty? At some point, most kids do move naturally from napping morning and afternoon to just afternoon. It could be any time between 10 months and 15. (Maybe even later? I haven't heard of that because most kids here will have started preschool then, where they normally only get one nap.) I'd suggest trying if he already missed the morning nap twice. You'll know very soon if it was too early for him or not.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The sad thing about kids and toys etc is they get soooooooooo excited about things and for a day or two it's the best thing ever, and then it's like "meeeehh I guess it's OK, what else you got"

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Our schedules are so set in stone it's not even funny. Even trying to push his bedtime back by half an hour (hoping he'll sleep in longer in the mornings lol) has led to disastrous results. He has been napping for a solid two hours a day on the weekends though thanks to the daycare schedule, which is amazing

I can't wait until this kid is old enough to explain his dreams to me a little better, because last night he woke up sobbing inconsolably about "doggy shirt" ??? He doesn't even have a shirt with a dog on it, so maybe that's the problem, but I'm truly at a loss

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm slightly terrified about all this scheduling stuff. I was reading some of these posts out loud to my wife and her comments were along the lines of, "well we can't plan more than a week in advance, so I wouldn't plan on keeping a regular schedule with the baby" which I don't disagree with

We have pets and while I've been pretty strict about their feeding habits and what rooms they can go into etc for a decade before I met my wife, they've always been very obedient about rules etc, but in four years already trained my wife to give them treats whenever she comes out of the bathroom and making her let them in to the bedroom etc

I can't even imagine what a child capable of full conscious thought is going to be capable of

Contrast to her work where she's a pretty high level manager in charge of lots of people. Kind of weird how there's such a divide between work and family

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I mean with newborns you do need to be kinda go with the flow. Feed them when they are hungry, put them to bed when they are sleepy, etc.
You’ll probably have a routine for many months as opposed to a strict time schedule while the baby figures out how the hell life on the outside works.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We're several days in now of consistent 7.5-8 hour sleeps in a row at night. Now if we could only get him to shift from 9-5 to like midnight to 8am our lives would be so much easier. We're both night owls and waking up at 5 is awful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My work buddy just found out they are having a boy in a few months, they have an 18 month old girl right now. My main advice: if you let down your guard for a second you WILL get peed on. (You will probably get peed on regardless)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

priznat posted:

My work buddy just found out they are having a boy in a few months, they have an 18 month old girl right now. My main advice: if you let down your guard for a second you WILL get peed on. (You will probably get peed on regardless)

My son tried to pee on me yesterday and he’s three. So... yeah.

(Wading pool play and splashing gives him all KINDS of ideas :derp: )

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

I'm slightly terrified about all this scheduling stuff. I was reading some of these posts out loud to my wife and her comments were along the lines of, "well we can't plan more than a week in advance, so I wouldn't plan on keeping a regular schedule with the baby" which I don't disagree with

We have pets and while I've been pretty strict about their feeding habits and what rooms they can go into etc for a decade before I met my wife, they've always been very obedient about rules etc, but in four years already trained my wife to give them treats whenever she comes out of the bathroom and making her let them in to the bedroom etc

I can't even imagine what a child capable of full conscious thought is going to be capable of

Contrast to her work where she's a pretty high level manager in charge of lots of people. Kind of weird how there's such a divide between work and family

Some kids and families do better with strict schedules - it's definitely not a must do. You may find more consistent sleep with a schedule, but if you have an easy sleeper it may not matter. Also...newborns don't do schedules anyway, so you are good for a while. I personally thrive on routines so having an idea of when nap and bedtime are going to be helps me tremendously.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Also I’ve never had my kids on a strict schedule and they’ve always been fine. Every kid + family combo is different! I can skip naps or shift bedtimes around (or locations, or etc) and it’s generally worked out. I can tell from looking at the kids if they need a nap or a break or whatever.

You won’t know what you’ve got until you’ve got it, so no sense stressing yourself out about it!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I’m in the middle of switching bedtime routine around so that bath time is the same for toddler and 8 week old. Used to have dinner at 6, then bath and bed for toddler. Baby conks out at 6 for the night, so I ended up doing bath time twice and it was messing with my ability to cook dinner and feed baby etc etc.

Since Friday we have done bath at 5, breastfeed baby, baby down just before dinner at 6, then toddler can play with us until 7. Brush teeth, story, bed. It’s made things a lot saner, but it’s taken a bit of getting used to for the toddler. Had a tantrum in the bath the first couple of nights because she thought she was missing out on play to go straight to bed. Last night was considerably easier.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

priznat posted:

I've been very lucky to not get peed on by my son. He used to pee within 30 seconds of bare bum time as a real youngster though (including once on his own face) and occasionally pees en route to the shower when I let him hoon naked down the hallway.

I'm currently somewhat worried about the little kid toilet seat we got him though. He loves sitting on the toilet but the little seat rim thing does not come up anywhere high enough for him to pee sitting down without holding himself down as well. If he let rip he'd piss all over the floor and door instead. I feel this is a design flaw.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Our 6 month old slept through the night for the first time. What a glorious day (night).

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

priznat posted:

Family loving up schedules is a consistent annoyance with us too, to the point of we’ve essentially just banned drop-ins without any prior notice (even before covid) because of how disruptive it is. It would usually be my dad who would do it, leading to me getting poo poo from my wife, so I just told him look you can’t do this anymore. We have a schedule. If you can come during this time when she’s up awesome otherwise gonna have to wait til she’s older.

Feels good to stick to it and reduce one element of the nonstop chaos of life.

Holy gently caress am I feeling this.
We have a specific sleep and nap routine that varies daily based on how well my daughter sleeps each night, and my mom simply doesn't care. A couple weeks ago my mom was coming into town (they live an hour away) to go to the farmers market (stupid) and as an excuse to see the kid (they shouldn't need an excuse but whatever). We both agreed that coming by early in the morning would be best because the kid would likely be napping around 11am. They finally roll around at like 10:45 and I'm pissed, because they not only disregarded what I told them, but they obviously have zero concern or compassion for the kid's schedule. They got mad at me when I made them leave at 11 so she could nap, saying "we drove an hour, give us a break." Lady I gave you a break when I told you when the kid was going to nap.
She also keeps trying to guilt me into bringing the kid to their house, knowing full well that she didn't travel well before the pandemic, and now she's had even less practice at riding in the car for months, an hour drive is going to be a major drain. And if the kid needs a nap that day (for which she needs a dark, quiet room that my mom can't really provide) then we gotta turn around as soon as we get there to get back home for nap time, so basically going to my mom's house is a huge pain for us, and has been every time we've gone.
So I wind up dreading every weekend because I know the guilt trips my mom is gonna lay on me, and the antics she will pull, and planning anything with her feels like it basically blows out that whole day for us doing anything else. They can't just come visit the kid at our home on our schedule ever, apparently. It must be always on their terms and gently caress whatever us or the kid need so long as grandma gets to see her.
Getting really tired of it.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

I've been very lucky to not get peed on by my son. He used to pee within 30 seconds of bare bum time as a real youngster though (including once on his own face) and occasionally pees en route to the shower when I let him hoon naked down the hallway.

I'm currently somewhat worried about the little kid toilet seat we got him though. He loves sitting on the toilet but the little seat rim thing does not come up anywhere high enough for him to pee sitting down without holding himself down as well. If he let rip he'd piss all over the floor and door instead. I feel this is a design flaw.

You have to teach them to hold it down (bending forward helps too). Even after my son was potty trained it took a long time for him to find the proper positioning. Sometimes he would point down but not enough and it would spray out between the seat and bowl. There was so much pee on walls and floors :sigh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh boy, I guess that's what I have to look forward to. Our 22-month-old just switched daycares since the woman running the in-home one he was attending is moving. Now he's in a big daycare center with his older sister. Suddenly, he's wanting to pee in the toilet at daycare, when he has barely even sat on the training potty at home.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Hi_Bears posted:

You have to teach them to hold it down (bending forward helps too). Even after my son was potty trained it took a long time for him to find the proper positioning. Sometimes he would point down but not enough and it would spray out between the seat and bowl. There was so much pee on walls and floors :sigh:

Ah thank you! This intel was missing in my family, my sister basically just taught her boys to pee standing up (sprayed everywhere) and their daycare centres appear to have handled the sitting down to pee part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

They can't just come visit the kid at our home on our schedule ever, apparently. It must be always on their terms and gently caress whatever us or the kid need so long as grandma gets to see her.
Getting really tired of it.

My in-laws are bad any this, and they're like, why do his parents get to keep the kids but we can't? And my wife is like, because you don't loving listen!