Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I remember a friend of mine holding her less than one year old over the toilet trying to make the magic happen.

It might be a thing, idk. I don't have that kind of time..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I feel like we’re in a weird spot where our almost 2 year old is getting close to a lot of major transitions (potty training, toddler bed), but we’re desperately trying to hold off a couple months until our newborn is out of the worst of the newborn phase. Sorry, older kiddo, I really don’t want you to be able to get out of bed by yourself yet :(

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Renegret posted:

So what's everyone's experience with glycerin suppositories? Does it make your kid have a nice gentle wonderful poop that resemble roses and fairy sparkles or is there an unholy torrent of endless poo poo? I remember seeing some people talk about them in this thread before, just wondering what to expect.

Our doctor had us use them one time for a particularly bad bout of constipation.

At least for us he just sorta sat there for 5 minutes then pooped normally.

Our doctor definitely told us though we shouldn't use them consistently or often and they it was really only for this one occasion and to talk to her if his problems persisted.

Turns out the problem is a 7mo shouldn't have been eating 5 jars of solid food a day, which is bullshit because at his 6mo appt she said "feed him whatever he'll eat" but what she meant was "feed him tastes of solids so he gets used to them".

We found longer-term after the glycerin that 3-4 days of a quarter cup of miralax followed by apple juice and always giving him a prunes or pears solid food kept him from having any new issues since

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hadlock posted:

Why does my 4 month old thrash about like her soul will evaporate if she falls asleep, for about the last 30 minutes before she finally passes out. We've ruled out food, water, diaper physical discomfort etc. It's obvious it's time for a nap but it's like she's.... Fighting sleep?

Maybe they are experiencing nightmares and don't want to go to sleep as a result?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

BadSamaritan posted:

I feel like we’re in a weird spot where our almost 2 year old is getting close to a lot of major transitions (potty training, toddler bed), but we’re desperately trying to hold off a couple months until our newborn is out of the worst of the newborn phase. Sorry, older kiddo, I really don’t want you to be able to get out of bed by yourself yet :(

We are doing the exact same thing. My daughter turns two next week and her baby brother is due in June. We are keeping her in the crib and are only doing very casual potty training until the newborn stuff is over. I think she is ready for both, but I would lose my mind if it were the middle of the night and the baby got woken up by a toddler bursting into our bedroom.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe they are experiencing nightmares and don't want to go to sleep as a result?

Some babies just do that. Nobody knows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Since that post, my wife showed me One Weird Trick to calm baby, which is to gently/loosely hold her wrists at her sides/hips and magically after struggling for 10 seconds just passes the gently caress out

I'm wondering if this is related to sleep sack training

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My kid is 3 years and 1 month and we transitioned her to the toddler bed about 3 weeks ago. Her little sister is almost 10 months old.

It’s awesome. We introduced a gro clock when she turned 3 so she knew when to wake up and when it was sleep time, and to avoid too many barge ins. It’s working well and she likes the independence of being able to get out of bed.

She hasn’t been a terror with it at all, and because she’s used to not being able to get out of the cot, she takes being in bed pretty seriously.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

femcastra posted:

My kid is 3 years and 1 month and we transitioned her to the toddler bed about 3 weeks ago. Her little sister is almost 10 months old.

It’s awesome. We introduced a gro clock when she turned 3 so she knew when to wake up and when it was sleep time, and to avoid too many barge ins. It’s working well and she likes the independence of being able to get out of bed.

She hasn’t been a terror with it at all, and because she’s used to not being able to get out of the cot, she takes being in bed pretty seriously.

Our 3.5 year old daughter will not sleep or stay asleep if not in the bed with me. We let her sleep with us because it was an easy way to let us sleep through the night from early on but we're ordering for it now. I'm hoping I can reason with her when she's 4 and understands what we're trying to do...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 9, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Looking for some advice for our daughter, who we're apparently raising to be an outspoken racist? She's 5.5. We recently moved from San Antonio, where her daycare had decent diversity, to Georgia, where it's less good (although not 100% white). Last weekend we had a guy over to do some yard work, and it's fairly clear English is not his first language. He told my wife twice that our daughter told him that he doesn't understand her that well.

Then this weekend, they're staying at my in-laws', and they're out for a walk in the woods and a black guy comes jogging up the path towards them. My daughter says "There's a black guy coming!". My mother-in-law said "Yes, we see him." "Ok, I just thought I should warn you."

We're of course far from perfect, both growing up white in America, but we thought we've been doing a decent job of raising her to be aware of race, but that it's differences between people that should be celebrated, not that differences are negative. We try to consciously ensure her books are diverse, and we try to make a point of discussing the races of the characters at times. We've also started pointing out some things that are racist in culture.

How should we approach this particular incident, and what kinds of things can we do going forward?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My daughter just asked "why is that lady fat?" Kids have to learn that people don't always like being identified by their physical characteristics. But we haven't had much chance to discuss it during the pandemic.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

hooah posted:

Looking for some advice for our daughter, who we're apparently raising to be an outspoken racist? She's 5.5. We recently moved from San Antonio, where her daycare had decent diversity, to Georgia, where it's less good (although not 100% white). Last weekend we had a guy over to do some yard work, and it's fairly clear English is not his first language. He told my wife twice that our daughter told him that he doesn't understand her that well.

Then this weekend, they're staying at my in-laws', and they're out for a walk in the woods and a black guy comes jogging up the path towards them. My daughter says "There's a black guy coming!". My mother-in-law said "Yes, we see him." "Ok, I just thought I should warn you."

We're of course far from perfect, both growing up white in America, but we thought we've been doing a decent job of raising her to be aware of race, but that it's differences between people that should be celebrated, not that differences are negative. We try to consciously ensure her books are diverse, and we try to make a point of discussing the races of the characters at times. We've also started pointing out some things that are racist in culture.

How should we approach this particular incident, and what kinds of things can we do going forward?

I think I would ask my daughter (why she felt she needed to do these things first (or where she learned then from). I'd probably approach it differently if she's just copying (or misinterpreting) something she saw on tv vs if she really feels it's necessary to warn your in laws about black people, (or if someone taught her that). vs. nothing actually malicious involved at all. I can also see the conversation with the landscaper as her just being blunt about what she's feeling and more an issue of politeness.

That being said I only have a 3 year old so I'm not as familiar with what a 5 year old is capable of.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 10, 2021

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I’ve got third trimester insomnia BAD. Didn’t fall asleep until 3am ish, my daughter who usually sleeps fine woke up at 3:45 crying her eyes out and wide awake, I spent until 5 reading and rocking before I could put her back in her crib, and I was awake until she woke up again for the day.

She was in daycare today because I was supposed to deep clean the house for her birthday tomorrow, but I took an hour nap instead, and woke up feeling like garbage. I went to Target to pick up some snacks and brownie mix for her (small, fully vaccinated) party tomorrow, and when I went to check out, my card didn’t work.

The lady behind me, without hesitation, paid for my stuff. The hormones and sleep deprivation and gratitude hit full force and I ugly cried in the check out lane. It was like $55 too, not just a couple bucks. I cried all the way home.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Koivunen posted:

I’ve got third trimester insomnia BAD. Didn’t fall asleep until 3am ish, my daughter who usually sleeps fine woke up at 3:45 crying her eyes out and wide awake, I spent until 5 reading and rocking before I could put her back in her crib, and I was awake until she woke up again for the day.

She was in daycare today because I was supposed to deep clean the house for her birthday tomorrow, but I took an hour nap instead, and woke up feeling like garbage. I went to Target to pick up some snacks and brownie mix for her (small, fully vaccinated) party tomorrow, and when I went to check out, my card didn’t work.

The lady behind me, without hesitation, paid for my stuff. The hormones and sleep deprivation and gratitude hit full force and I ugly cried in the check out lane. It was like $55 too, not just a couple bucks. I cried all the way home.

Melatonin is the only thing that has ever helped my insomnia, which got much worse when I was pregnant.

Also, bless that queue angel behind you :3:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

hooah posted:

It’s a hard thing to get right. I wonder if spending so much effort talking about racial characteristics enforced that it was something important to pay attention to. So it was maybe a difference she was primed to see and just wanted to let you know about?

I’d start by asking her why she felt like warning your MIL that a black guy was coming. It’s likely just an innocent thing that you can let pass. But if she’s getting that behavior modeled for her then you need to nip it in the bud.

My plan for dealing with diversity was to have it present in books and media, but to not point it out for my kids. Treat it like something unremarkable and let them ask about it. We’ll see how that goes.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hadlock posted:

Since that post, my wife showed me One Weird Trick to calm baby, which is to gently/loosely hold her wrists at her sides/hips and magically after struggling for 10 seconds just passes the gently caress out

I'm wondering if this is related to sleep sack training

We’ve had a lot of luck with sleep sacks, and it certainly seems to prevent the ‘thrashing demon’ phase of the sleep cycle.

I’m a little worried about our house. We bought because we wanted to start a family, but we didn’t quite think thru some of the finer points. It feels on the small side, at 1250sqft, tho I’m hoping we can get rid of some junk to reclaim some space. The biggest concern is that the kitchen is centrally located, so I feel like I have to tiptoe thru every motion- cleaning the dishes, making coffee, feeding the cats. The nursery also shares a wall with where we watch TV, so we’ll have to find some solution for that when she transitions to her room. The floors are also squeaky as poo poo and it really sucks at 4am. It’s probably a bad habit to try to muffle or prevent sounds, and better to get her used to normal house noises... but I’d rather not wake up the baby. I’m trying to picture a toddler running and screaming with toys and i feel bad there won’t be enough room to really let loose. I know people do it around the world all the time, but how do people raise kids in even smaller homes?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 10, 2021

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

We’ve had a lot of luck with sleep sacks, and it certainly seems to prevent the ‘thrashing demon’ phase of the sleep cycle.

I’m a little worried about our house. We bought because we wanted to start a family, but we didn’t quite think thru some of the finer points. It feels on the small side, at 1250sqft, tho I’m hoping we can get rid of some junk to reclaim some space. The biggest concern is that the kitchen is centrally located, so I feel like I have to tiptoe thru every motion- cleaning the dishes, making coffee, feeding the cats. The nursery also shares a wall with where we watch TV, so we’ll have to find some solution for that when she transitions to her room. The floors are also squeaky as poo poo and it really sucks at 4am. It’s probably a bad habit to try to muffle or prevent sounds, and better to get her used to normal house noises... but I’d rather not wake up the baby. I’m trying to picture a toddler running and screaming with toys and i feel bad there won’t be enough room to really let loose. I know people do it around the world all the time, but how do people raise kids in even smaller homes?

We live in a house that is 90m2 so apparently ~970sqft. We have never tried to tiptoe around our son, we go about our normal business when he's asleep and he just... sleeps through it (the only caveat is that we turn the TV down if we're watching something late at night). We have a dog that makes a hell of a lot of noise over truly trivial triggers so the kid was doomed to endure periodic noisiness from day dot. Most of our son's toys are in the living room in drawers under the coffee table and he spends most of his time at home in the shared kitchen/living area. His bedroom is small, so the only activities he really does in there are reading and playing with his blocks.

While the noise factor hasn't really been an issue for us, it is a bit snug sometimes. I don't care so much about the size of the actual house (my childhood home was huge but only about half of the housing footprint was actually used space), its that the living/kitchen area where we spend most of our time is too small because they squeezed in a 3rd bedroom.

It's going to be chaos if we have two kids but the goal is to move in a few years anyway.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 10, 2021

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

meanolmrcloud posted:

I know people do it around the world all the time, but how do people raise kids in even smaller homes?

Our house is a little bigger, about 1500 sq ft, but it honestly works out fine. Babies and toddlers are pretty tolerant of ‘normal’ noise, especially during the day. Our 1800s floors creak, but they don’t wake the kids (nor do the stampeding cats that jump down the central staircase at speed). We have a quiet stick vacuum we can use during naps. We watch streaming tv at a low volume but with closed captions.

As far as managing space goes- purge your junk asap, get stuff off the floor, and be thoughtful about what you bring in (or keep, giftwise). It’s really easy to amass toys and clothes and have the whole house turn into a crazy playroom. Our baby and toddler share in the family space- each has a smallish bedroom, but the bulk of toys and activity stuff is in our family room, so we have to be careful about not letting too much pile up. Makes it a better playspace and easier to clean.

There’s problems with it, but honestly the Marie Kondo stuff can make a really helpful guideline for making room and creating a multifunctional space that feels good to be in.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My toddler saw a little kid’s birthday party for the first time. She was ALL ABOUT IT and was upset that we weren’t invited and had to leave.

You know I came to party
Baby baby baby baby
I’m gonna leave this party
With somebody’s ukulele

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We had a 1400sqft house for two adults and two (small) kids until this summer. Keeping organized and making sure everything has a ‘home’ to be returned to mattered the most! We never tip-toed around either, and the kids just learned really fast to sleep through it.

Not gonna lie though, having bigger bedrooms and a dedicated play area for toys has made things much simpler (also dedicated offices since we both work from home now). But it was fine and totally manageable up until the WFH point!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

meanolmrcloud posted:

My Carpool buddy (from the before-times) has 4 kids and she told me, the one thing she wanted to tell me as a father to be: "don't be quiet around your baby when they're asleep, because if you do you will end up with a fussy sleeper baby" (or whatever she called it) so we never tried to be quiet unless we're in the actual room with them while they're asleep. It seems to have worked. Often a cat hides under the bed in the kids room (there is one room for a 10 month old and a 2.75 year old) and starts meowing and scratching the door, which, when we open it, makes a massively loud sound, and when we walk up to it the floor creaks like a motherfucker. Often we let the cat out very noisily and both kids remain asleep.

They sleep from 7pm (baby) 7:30pm (toddler) until 6:45am - 7am.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think our baby has ever woke up from deep sleep due to every day noises. I guess if we dropped a pot or pans in the kitchen and then screamed really loud she might wake up

Our living room big screen tv is bolted to the same wall that is shared with the crib in the nursery, and we made zero changes to our tv and wine schedule/volume and the baby just sleeps right through everything

We have one of those hatch rest baby white noise generators and I'll put that on if our also-fully-vaccinated close friends come over for the evening or whatever

The more noise you make around them, the better :colbert:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tried to wake up baby from deep sleep by using his head as a microphone for a kareoke. Didn't wake, it is kinda amazing.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Tell me about your experiences with changing friendships after kids came into the picture. Particularly if you both had kids around the same time.

To try to make a long story short, my best friend of seven or so years pre-kids has a very different parenting style than I do, and I don’t want it to affect our friendship but I can’t see how it won’t. She has two boys, ages 3.5 and 1 year. The 3.5 year old has always been a handful, more so than other kids, but I also feel like she lets him get away with a lot of stuff and sometimes encourages bad behaviors.

Our kids hung out together for the first time in a long time, and I could give a hundred examples of things he did that mortified me but she had no reaction to. Now, at 3 AM, of course I’m analyzing things and my sleep deprivation and hormones are making me feel awful about it, but I don’t know if I want to hang out with her with our kids any more. We’ve had a couple girl nights in the past few months, and those have been great, but I straight up do not enjoy being around her older kid, and I don’t really want my daughter being influenced by his behaviors.

I feel for her because he really is a difficult kid, and she knows it, but at the same time, it sucked to watch him be naughty or mean and not have her do anything about it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Koivunen posted:

Tell me about your experiences with changing friendships after kids came into the picture. Particularly if you both had kids around the same time.

To try to make a long story short, my best friend of seven or so years pre-kids has a very different parenting style than I do, and I don’t want it to affect our friendship but I can’t see how it won’t. She has two boys, ages 3.5 and 1 year. The 3.5 year old has always been a handful, more so than other kids, but I also feel like she lets him get away with a lot of stuff and sometimes encourages bad behaviors.

Our kids hung out together for the first time in a long time, and I could give a hundred examples of things he did that mortified me but she had no reaction to. Now, at 3 AM, of course I’m analyzing things and my sleep deprivation and hormones are making me feel awful about it, but I don’t know if I want to hang out with her with our kids any more. We’ve had a couple girl nights in the past few months, and those have been great, but I straight up do not enjoy being around her older kid, and I don’t really want my daughter being influenced by his behaviors.

I feel for her because he really is a difficult kid, and she knows it, but at the same time, it sucked to watch him be naughty or mean and not have her do anything about it.

How old are your kids by comparison? Are they also boys? I only ask because seeing our friends that have a girl the same age as our boy-they’re on totally different wave lengths, so if you had younger girls, depending on ‘what’ exactly is happening, maybe for a 3.5 year old boy it’s not so bad? Being mean and hitting should be corrected for sure-I just don’t know enough.

We only have one friend like that, but we barely knew each other before, so it’s not a big loss. Her son and ours are within a few months, but we’ve been different from the start. She admitted to occasionally smoking weed and drinking while pregnant, if her kid has an outburst at a restaurant pre-COVID she yelled out loud right at him saying “are you loving kidding me”, they’ve hit him in the past.

COVID helped a lot with coming up for reasons to not hang out and time has slowly moved us away from each other.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It really depends on the behavior since parents have different tolerances or things they think is bad. Being mean and violent is a giant no for us, but my kids have a lot of energy so they can run around and be loud sometimes. We try to channel it to appropriate places, but sometimes you just can't stop kids from being excited.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s interesting because since having kids myself I am so much more sympathetic to other parents dealing with outbursts in public, we’ve all been there and if you are dealing with both the kid and your worry about other people it can be doubly hard.

However there are also often clues about the parenting style just from their kids regular behaviour that can raise red flags. My wife’s nephews were so badly socialized we would not go to places in public with them because they’d act like little obnoxious shits and stress out everyone in the area with their behaviour. The parents would do nothing and often it was my wife or me who had to take action to keep things from getting worse.

Meltdowns happen and I’d never judge a parenting style based on that it’s the rest of the time that is useful to see if you want to be around them at all. I’m not going to lecture them on their kids behaviour I just start declining invitations for anything kid related.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Someone already coined the phrase "hell is other parents", else I might have.
I love most of the kids (and by extension, their parents) at our coop daycare, but I have such a hard time around some other parents that we're either related to or that we used to enjoy hanging out with before they had kids. Conversely, pre-covid, I was regularly hanging with people from work with whom I have little in common except kids the same age, and I enjoyed that a lot because we turned out to have similar view on parenting.

You're not alone in feeling it, Koivunen. I guess it's part of life that we make some new friends and lose some old ones when we start families.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
We're looking to move from Germany back to the states this summer, and I'm looking for educational apps (web or iPad) to help make sure our soon-to-be-4th-grader will be at the right level of different subjects (especially reading, writing, and math).

Does anyone have any suggestions for apps that are ideally as self-teaching/self-evaluating as possible? Of course we'll be helping him sometimes, but the more he's able to practice and improve on his own, the better.

We'll specifically be moving to the Seattle area, if that's relevant.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We just submitted an application for preschool after our two-year-old has spent most of her life utterly alone in lockdown, and I'm fairly terrified that she's going to end up being the feral unsocialized child that all the other parents hate.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

We just submitted an application for preschool after our two-year-old has spent most of her life utterly alone in lockdown, and I'm fairly terrified that she's going to end up being the feral unsocialized child that all the other parents hate.

I'm with you buddy. I took the toddlers to the park today, and any time another kid came within 20 feet mine ran away. Which is obviously correct, but I'm afraid it'll be a problem down the road.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's smart to fear park children. We just got back from one near us and as we were wrapping up this stout, sleeveless boy came in with a group looking like the bully from an 80's kids movie. My wife looked back as we were leaving and he was throwing a shoe at someone.

Mine will be two next month and we haven't even talked about preschool yet. I'm just gonna raise him antisocial and goony like me I guess. Today he even said "Dada eat Mountain Dew in the mouth." Boy do I ever, kid.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid is also terrified of strangers / other kids and gets super clingy. We’re putting her in daycare at 18 months, hopefully that takes care of it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gonna get my kid hooked on Dungeons and Dragons to socialize my child while preventing any teenage pregnancy. Same as I was taught, same as my forefathers.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Mine was super clingy and stranger danger until recently. She'll be two in May. It's a developmental stage for a while. She's now saying hi to every living thing (human, dog, squirrel) she sees and has warmed up to new adults easier as well. She was under a year when COVID started but she's had a few kids to interact with in our childcare/nanny bubble at least. It's been a hell of a year, man.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Park Kids can definitely be a problem, I was at the park with my youngest holding her hand while she goes across a balance beam and another kid probably 6-7 came the other way and demanded she move and tried to push her off with me right there holding her hand. I shudder to think what he's like to other kids without their parents right there. I told him politely but firmly to back off, do not touch her, and wait your turn and he glared at me like I'd just smashed his bakubans or whatever that age range is into now. Sheesh.

The only good thing was my daughters reaction when he went to push her was to go full banshee NO! scream and aggressively yell at him. She takes no poo poo from bullies!

This is at a really new and amazing park near our house that frankly I can't take the kids to during covid times because it is way, way too packed for me to feel comfortable even masked up. But people just don't give a drat. And of course it's the park the kids always beg to go to :sigh:

The other parks nearby are nice, clean adventure playgrounds but boring in comparison to this one so they practically have to get dragged to them!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cicero posted:

We're looking to move from Germany back to the states this summer, and I'm looking for educational apps (web or iPad) to help make sure our soon-to-be-4th-grader will be at the right level of different subjects (especially reading, writing, and math).

Does anyone have any suggestions for apps that are ideally as self-teaching/self-evaluating as possible? Of course we'll be helping him sometimes, but the more he's able to practice and improve on his own, the better.

We'll specifically be moving to the Seattle area, if that's relevant.

Lol if you think a German-schooled kid isn't gonna be ahead of a US class in every topic except English.

(Ask me about my experience with German English teachers. No, actually, don't ask.)

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

priznat posted:

Park Kids can definitely be a problem, I was at the park with my youngest holding her hand while she goes across a balance beam and another kid probably 6-7 came the other way and demanded she move and tried to push her off with me right there holding her hand. I shudder to think what he's like to other kids without their parents right there. I told him politely but firmly to back off, do not touch her, and wait your turn and he glared at me like I'd just smashed his bakubans or whatever that age range is into now. Sheesh.

The only good thing was my daughters reaction when he went to push her was to go full banshee NO! scream and aggressively yell at him. She takes no poo poo from bullies!

Wow, that's grounds for hauling the kid to their parent, if not something more drastic.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

A ten year old park kids called my three year old a bitch, and threatened to stab my wife because they wouldn't get off the swing she wanted. Unattended groups of preteen park kids are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Lol if you think a German-schooled kid isn't gonna be ahead of a US class in every topic except English.

(Ask me about my experience with German English teachers. No, actually, don't ask.)
He's in a fancy private school currently (we didn't intend on it, but our hand was forced), but looking at math standards the things he's doing now seem like pretty much the same as common core for third grade.

edit: if you go to the more high end, academic track of German middle/high school I think it's true that it's more advanced than the American equivalent, but I'm not sure that's true for elementary school