Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Isn't potty training great

Took 10+ minutes in a public bathroom trying to convince my kid to pee and getting a fresh pull up on while I really had to pee myself. So of course in a full earshot of a crowded bathroom

"LOOK DADDY GOING PEE PEE"

yes bud

"IT'S YELLOW"

...yeah that's right

"WHY"

...because daddy didn't drink enough water today

"WHY".

ugh
*quiet laughing from next stall over*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The phrase "two year old that got food poisoning" should be one of those things that strikes fear in any parent's mind.

24 hours later, finally things return to normal.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

unknown posted:

The phrase "two year old that got food poisoning" should be one of those things that strikes fear in any parent's mind.

Holy poo poo, that sounds terrible. Poor kid, and poor parents

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

2DEG posted:

I straight up declared that if we had twin boys they'd be Petya and Seryozha because that Marshak poem is still firmly lodged in my brain from childhood.

Pasha and Sasha.
Masha and Anya.

unknown posted:

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. 24 hours? What could you tell a parent that might prepare them because that is a huge fear of mine for the little person.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 29, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

24 hours? Whiskey for you, cocomelon, wet wipes and a case of diapers for them, maybe benadryl to knock them out

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure there's an elaborate cover up happening at the middle and high school levels,

I swear that parenting gives you literal brain damage so that we can get through it as a species.

I cannot recall very many negative or traumatic moments during the first 18 months, despite knowing deep down that there were moments of projectile feces scattered across the room. Brain damage. It's all positive memories. All moments were fantastic and I want MORE children so I can revisit those golden months once more.

I know that this is Utter madness.

It's the stupid rewards center of the brain. We are people acting out this madness because children are wonderful and it's a wonderful thing to raise them. So says our lizard brain.

When I asked my in-laws, my sister, my parents, why didn't you warn me how hard this is?! -- they replied universally, "We don't remember the hard stuff...not fully. Sorry."

Collective brain damage.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The brain damage is especially true for the first 3 months. I don’t remember much except what I wrote down in sleep logs and other random musings. And the loving googling of purple crying, witching hour, and oh god it’s all coming back fuuuuuuck

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was severely alarmed in the 3 months leading up to childbirth, absolutely nobody remembered anything for advice of any value. After childbirth got a lot of "oh yeah, that happened to us. Sucks. You'll get over it"

First six weeks is an absolute grind. That's my only advice to new parents now: take tons of pictures, sleep deprivation inhibits memory formation; and, "just get through the first six weeks, once you're past that, things improve dramatically"

Our government really needs to step the gently caress up. I look at population growth flat lining or even decreasing and I am not even the slightest bit surprised given how hard it is for a lot of families to not only provide for their family, but also be an effective parent, and be present for their kids

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I clearly forgot how awful colds are from daycare. With masks and keeping the rooms separate during the height of the pandemic, I really stopped getting sick from my son. My daughter is making up for it in spades from the infant room, jfc. At least their pink eye has been gone a week and my drops end today?

Oh and the water softener drain line popped out and saturate part of the finished basement. You know, the part my son loves playing in. At least all the fans are great white noise?

I had taken the week as PTO to have some time to get things done I wanted to do. I did none of them.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Our twins start daycare on Tuesday and I’m nervous as hell. I’m worried they won’t eat, I’m worried they won’t nap, I’m worried they will cry all day because they miss us, I’m worried we’re all going to get sick, I’m worried I’m going to forget to pack them something they need, I’m worried their teachers aren’t going to know what to do with them, etc.

I know most of these are probably normal worries that will go away after a few days but man I thought I’d be more excited to get them started. Doesn’t help that my wife is going to be out of town the first week they are at daycare either.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

A Bad King posted:

I swear that parenting gives you literal brain damage so that we can get through it as a species.
My daughter is 18 months and finally slept through nights last week.

Only last week ....

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Only last week ....

Mine didn't sleep through the night until he was 2.5

He'll be nine next month and when I think back I honestly do not know how my husband and I got through that. I don't think i.could do it again..

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Someone gave me the advice of needing lots of energy drinks during the first month and boy was he ever right.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mind_Taker posted:

Our twins start daycare on Tuesday and I’m nervous as hell. I’m worried they won’t eat, I’m worried they won’t nap, I’m worried they will cry all day because they miss us, I’m worried we’re all going to get sick, I’m worried I’m going to forget to pack them something they need, I’m worried their teachers aren’t going to know what to do with them, etc.

I know most of these are probably normal worries that will go away after a few days but man I thought I’d be more excited to get them started. Doesn’t help that my wife is going to be out of town the first week they are at daycare either.

These are totally normal fears and worries, don't sweat it. Kids love to be around other kids but it might take a few days for them to get used to it. Don't forget the folks working there deal with kids for a living and have been doing so longer than you've been a parent in all likelihood. They've certainly seen whatever quirks your kids might have and can handle it.

Personally, I found not lingering during drop off very helpful to both of us. The kids might cry for a bit but it seems to be easier if I just give mine a quick goodbye smooch and just leave.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah first week of daycare is rough, it's a big change, there's a lot more going on at daycare with 10 kids squirming around compared to the pretty chillax environment of your comparatively sleepy living room

Kids adjust really fast though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

In “hosed up things that happened today”, my wife and I took the kids to Home Depot and were pushing one in each stroller.

Out of nowhere, this small older Asian lady comes up and goes loving Gaga over my one year old. She starts tickling his feet and tickling his stomach and I’m just blown away. She looks at my confused face and says “oh he’s adorable-I’m a nanny!”

loving great-please don’t touch my son. Then she goes to kiss his feet and I told her “please don’t do that.” And she looked at me like I had three heads. She stopped and walked away at least but gently caress.

My son wears shoes everywhere from now on.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

A Bad King posted:

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. 24 hours? What could you tell a parent that might prepare them because that is a huge fear of mine for the little person.

"Dad, my tummy hurts" starting about 30min after consuming/sharing a smoothie with mom (who then proceeded to head to the washroom herself) while out at the farmers market. Dad survived by having a different flavour.

The next 8 hours was the walking on eggshells watching the kid slowly get sick - then finally the explosions started for the next while. Kid's input of any food/beverage over the day goes to zero (more correctly: in then out) due to extra tender stomach. Silver lining is that kid's immune system has learned to get the bad stuff out. (mom was fine though)

Fortunately, slept well overnight (due to no energy most likely) and the next morning is slowly reintroducing foods and more importantly liquids - the kid is massively dehydrated at this point.

Lunch was a McDonald's happy meal burger that got devoured in about 15 seconds flat almost taking fingers with it. Back to normal at this point basically.

I'm fortunate in that our mini kid generally has a very happy disposition - almost freakishly to good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If we end up having twins when we try for the next one I will convince my wife to name them Dave and Thomas so people think:

1. I love Wendy's
2. I love Bob and Doug Mackenzie

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Only last week ....

I've got a 3 yo (sleeps through, with the occasional wiggle around if waking up coughing/thirsty/cold) and a <1 to who walked up 1-3 times a night. It's not so bad if you're able to easily get back to sleep afterwards (which I usually am, fortunately).

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Our kid wakes at least twice a night, most nights. He's approaching 2. I've been told this is normal for some kids, and it will pass.

He's worth our patience and love but goodness does he struggle with sleeping through the night.

unknown posted:

"Dad, my tummy hurts"

Heart-wrenching words.

I'm not looking forward to food poisoning bugs. I remember reading in one of the many "prep for parent" books I consumed, and this one billed itself as "just the data, dad," that the data suggests breastfed kids are slightly less susceptible to short term gut infections and that's basically the only hard data for a plus we got on the topic of boob vs bottle?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: daycare. The first week is tough for everyone, and it’s totally valid to have those worries. However, once the kids and you adjust, life gets a lot easier. There will be difficult drop offs, but like it was previously mentioned, the shorter the better. Usually my daughter is happy to be at daycare, but sometimes she is besides herself. As I drive away, I can see into the daycare, and 99% off the time her meltdown is over in that short amount of time it took me to get back to my car and leave.

There are some parents who stay and try to comfort their kids, but from an observer’s point of view this only makes things worse. It ramps up the parent’s frustration and the child’s angst.

E: re: night waking. My 3 yo is 50/50 if she sleeps through the night. My 1 yo is up every few hours. My kids have extremely accurate internal clocks, and their night time wakes are very predictable. It’s also very predictable that my baby will be up at 4:45, and my daughter will be up at 6:30. I usually am able to cuddle with my son for a couple hours with him remaining content, but come 6:30, my daughter is turning on all the lights and going MAMA! MAMA! IT’S MORNING TIME!

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 30, 2022

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Today has resulted in some really amazing one-liners from the 4 year old:

*in the backseat* YEAH ROCK AND ROLL MAN *proceeds to rock out*

*riding a bike inside* WHAT ARE ALL THESE BOXES DOING HERE DUDE

I’ve been having a good time with her at least, even if I’m tearing my hair out with the toddler.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Koivunen posted:

Re: daycare. The first week is tough for everyone, and it’s totally valid to have those worries. However, once the kids and you adjust, life gets a lot easier. There will be difficult drop offs, but like it was previously mentioned, the shorter the better. Usually my daughter is happy to be at daycare, but sometimes she is besides herself. As I drive away, I can see into the daycare, and 99% off the time her meltdown is over in that short amount of time it took me to get back to my car and leave.

There are some parents who stay and try to comfort their kids, but from an observer’s point of view this only makes things worse. It ramps up the parent’s frustration and the child’s angst.

This is wise advice, follow it

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
If you are watching love death and robots, and you also have kids, do yourself a favor and skip “Pop Squad.” It is hosed up and made me cry.

In other news I just tested positive for covid. Kids are still quarantined from daycare but I have to pay…

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Koivunen posted:

If you are watching love death and robots, and you also have kids, do yourself a favor and skip “Pop Squad.” It is hosed up and made me cry.

Jesus, of all the stories from that collection to animate...

(Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi, it's a super good collection of eco-sci-fi short stories, highly recommend)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Koivunen posted:

In other news I just tested positive for covid. Kids are still quarantined from daycare but I have to pay…

I mean at least that whackjob half redeemed himself in the end? but if his partner radioed their position that lady is hosed six ways to Sunday.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Koivunen posted:

Do they have a discount rate for not present? Ours does half rate if you're not there for the week for vacation or whatever, and that applied to covid. If it's not policy, maybe ask?

When the closed the whole thing for 2 weeks in 2020, we argued into zero cost for those two weeks, no idea if all the parents got that or not though.

Definitely sucks a lot though. The baby definitely gave me something wicked, test came back negative though.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Our daycare has done away with just about all discounts except siblings, and they haven't had to drastically raise costs in the last two years like other places. The one time they did was when three employees got covid and they had to close, and enough people complained they discounted the rate that month.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter drew this just now lmao

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
The stomach flu was definitely the worst experience of parenthood. My toddler son got it from daycare, 12 hours later grandma got it, and 24 hours later both parents got it. I had it the worst, was literally unable to get out of bed or off the toilet. Wound up nursing the newborn on the potty while the room spun around me. The fact that we had it staggered was the only saving grace, because grandma was the only person who was able to take care of the toddler, and my husband was able to take care of me. If we had gotten it simultaneously I don’t know what we would have done.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Do long weekends ever get fun as a parent

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

nachos posted:

When your kid is old enough to roam freely with other neighborhood kids it is pretty great.

My kid is turning nine in a couple weeks and he and a few other houses with kids in the neighborhood have been forming the roving kid packs that play outside for the last couple of years. My son has been doing this for the last 5 hours or so today.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

nachos posted:

We decided to go out and do stuff as a family this weekend so naps got all messed up and while the kids had a blast I’m deeply unsure if we made the right decision.

I feel badly because at this point of the three days both of us parents are at the end of our ropes for similar but different reasons and it’s not great.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nachos posted:

"Fun", I don't know, but this one was tolerable, for us. Took a long train trip over to the in-laws, had them babysit the three-year-old while I caught up on some reading. They found a bunch of old toys in the attic so kid was over the moon about all these "new" things to play with.

Took everyone out to an expensive restaurant for Sunday lunch, and and she behaved herself pretty decently. (Didn't hardly touch her food but you can't ask for everything.)

Train trip home was a bit frustrating to her because we didn't bring enough stuff to keep her occupied.

In other news, I'm becoming more and more convinced that one child is the optimal number.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter drew this just now lmao

Kind of want that nightmare spongebob on a tshirt

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

sheri posted:

When your kid is old enough to roam freely with other neighborhood kids it is pretty great.

My kid is turning nine in a couple weeks and he and a few other houses with kids in the neighborhood have been forming the roving kid packs that play outside for the last couple of years. My son has been doing this for the last 5 hours or so today.

30-50 feral youngsters running into my yard

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

I'm sorry, that sucks.

My son is on day 9 and still testing positive (but faint line) and so far my daughter and I have tested negative everyday. Really hoping this is over soon and we don't have some ten day incubation.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I did it. I won a 2 hour battle of wills with my toddler who refused to sleep in her crib. She’s sleeping in her loving crib.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
When will this exhaustion stop God someone LIE white lies of hope to me.

It was a wonderful weekend. Little man had a blast at the beach, we ate our body weight in fresh fish and seafood and I felt like I was in heaven with the summer beer paired with that glorious sunshine, but holy guacamole do my feet hurt and why can't I lift my arms above my head. I should have started this before my thirties, wtf.

Why is it this hard. Why can't it be easier. Why is this how we continue on as a species. Couldn't they just be preformed and ready to take down an elk by year 3, like a wolf pup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

nachos posted:

I did it. I won a 2 hour battle of wills with my toddler who refused to sleep in her crib. She’s sleeping in her loving crib.

Hell yeah