Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
We're having the same issue with coldness at night. I can't be 100% positive that's the problem since he's only 10 months and doesn't talk, but he's suddenly waking at 4:30 in the morning for no discernible reason, and the weather is the only thing that's changed. We go to bed later, at around midnight, so I might just start turning the heat on then. Right now we just put him in cozy fleece footie PJs and hope for the best.

imslandar posted:

I don't know what to do or what to say to her. I haven't slept right in two months, and I need her to engage.
Yeah, your baby needs to be held and needs to bond with his mom. (Which could totally be happening while she's hanging out on the couch!) It sounds to me like she's deeply in denial about the whole situation. I'm sorry that I don't have specific advice, but I've been thinking about you guys a lot and wanted to offer a voice of support. She really needs to be with her baby more, and you do need help for the depression. A support group sounds like a great idea for both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Ouch, the Element looks like a real bitch to accommodate a car seat. I'm starting to look into convertible seats too, but just for a Prius.

Easily shippable gifts a for one-year-old: books that aren't easily destroyed (so, not with paper pages), stacky anything, wooden puzzles...?

Speaking of gifts, here's a silly little question - what do you guys use for Santa Claus Wrapping Paper? I realized I get to pick some out today, and got all excited. I have fond memories of seeing gifts with the special wrapping paper under the tree in the morning at Christmas. My parents just used paper with a smiley Santa print. A friend suggested old-timey stuff, like brown paper with red and green twine, and that sounds pretty boss to me! (Cheap, too.)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

I heartily endorse Playtex brand sippy cups because they're easy to clean, easy to take apart/put back together, all use the same rubbery inside part (so you don't need to find and match a zillion specific parts) and have interchangeable lids. I didn't realize how important that kind of stuff was until I'd tried a few different brands that had 5 or 6 stupid fiddly parts to clean and not lose.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Professor Bananas posted:

Quick question for all of you who have done potty training! My little boy is starting to grab his nappy area and try to tell us something when he has to poo (or is pooing already? I'm not sure.) He's only 21 months and we're in no rush, he's also in full time day care so we don't want to try potty training too early. But I also felt a bit weird realising what he was doing today and reassuring him he could go in his nappy!

Is this time to buy a potty time, or just the early signs of him realising what needing to go feels like? Also he still doesn't know when he needs to pee and looks super surprised about it at bath time which is always hilarious.

Sure, why not? We introduced the potty early and he loved just sitting on it (with a diaper on). Just give it a try and see if he's interested. If not, you can always put it away for later. I see no reason not to start teaching him about going to the potty. My kiddo used to like watching this video on my tablet while sitting on the potty (skip to around 1:40 to get past the super long intro music).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLCVwCsEUQ0

Regarding eating out, here are some ideas:
- Go to pizza places or similarly casual restaurants
- Go early; there will be other families there. Try to go to non-super-busy restaurants; shoot for weeknights instead of weekends
- Ask if all food can come out at the same time so there's less waiting for different courses
- Don't bother with salads/appetizers, or ask them to bring the kid's meal at the same time as the appetizer.
- Order a pitcher of beer rather than having to order each one individually
- Make the kid sit in a high chair (if he still fits) so he can't escape
- Bring stuff for him to do, like books and toys. If feasible, use linky things to attach stuff to the high chair. I'm not above letting a toddler play on a tablet, as long as the sound is off
- Go to the dollar store or thrift store and get a bunch of new-to-him toys that would work in a restaurant. Bring a few with you when you go out; these should keep him engaged better than old toys. This has been a good strategy for car trips, too
- If the kid gets really rambunctious, take him for a walk (parents can switch off)
- See if you can get other friends/relatives who like kids to come with you. It's nice to have more people talking to him and keeping him from getting bored
- The buffet is a great idea!
- Keep expectations low, and accept going into it that it just might not work out. It's not the end of the world to pack up the food and take it home

You guys probably know all this already, though!