Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Has anyone tried gDiapers, the ones with the flushable (or reuseable) inserts? I'm thinking of switching from sposies, and these seem like the best bet.

Chicken McNobody posted:

What I am having trouble dealing with is watching how tired he is and how much he wants and needs to sleep but just refuses (or doesn't understand how) to do it.

I just want to chime in that this is the absolute worst. I get this with my kid, and it's like, dude, you're loving EXHAUSTED, and if you could just figure out to close your eyes for 3 seconds, you'd be out like a light. Nope, we're just going to scream bloody murder every time we try to put you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

MoCookies posted:

I haven't tried those specific ones, but have a bunch of other cloth diapers. My favorites are still the BumGenius 4.0s with snaps. I looked into the gDiapers at first too, but I think I would now find that style too fussy compared to pocket diapers - and they're just as expensive. Our diaper stash is about half pocket diapers, and half prefolds with covers, and then a handful of things I just have one of because I wanted to see how much I like them. Prefolds are pretty awesome because they're super inexpensive, easy to wash, and easy to grab and use as a burp cloth or changing pad. Green Mountain Diapers has a great reputation for their prefolds.

car dance posted:

I use the Thirsties Duo Wraps (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AJXY2E/) and just normal cloth prefold diapers. It has been super easy. No diaper rash. Unexpensive. We have 6 covers and about 40 diapers and wash every two to three days. We also have a diaper sprayer which will save your life with the poop diapers. All in all, I'm glad we chose it. Much cheaper.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely take a look at those too. Basically, I'm looking for something easy, and would rather flush the poop than keep it in the (largely ineffective) Diaper Genie. Have either of you gone the reusable wipes route? That's something that's beginning to look not-so-crazy.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I've been looking at the online tutorials, and the wipes seem easy. My line of thinking is that if I'm throwing the inserts into a wetbin at home anyway, the wipes wouldn't really be any extra work, since I cant flush the disposable ones anyway. I love prefolds. I make all of my baby shower gifts with them, where I sew bright fabric on them for burp cloths. They're just good for everything. The receiving blanket suggestion is awesome, thanks! I don't really use them as much anymore, and some of them are worth saving, but there are some decidely mundane ones that could be repurposed.

We were keeping the diaper genie on the patio, since the smell seeped through all the time. Maybe my kid just has spectacularly awful poo. But I'm in an apartment, which is huge, but no patio right now, so I don't want to have to run to the trash every time I get a poopy diaper, or deal with the odor.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I have tried gDiapers (they were a gift), and they're absolute poo poo. They leak like crazy--I've seen online reviews saying the same thing. Really, just using Flip or World's Best covers with prefolds folded up inside is very simple, absorbent, and relatively cheap.

Yeah, the gDiapers seem to get really mixed reviews. Maybe it has to do with certain shapes of babies? The other thing I was told about them is that they're super brand specific, you pretty much have to use g inserts, since nothing else will fit properly, which I could see being a pain. I do have a couple gdiapers coming to me from someone who loved them, so we'll see. Their kid is a totally different shape than mine.

I did try using a Flip diaper today with their stay dry insert. Seemed pretty good so far. Sticking to the disposable ones at night for now though, at least until he gets used to the "wet" feeling of cloth diapers. Of course, his dad will stick with disposables, so we'll be using both.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

There's a new Fisher Price chair out that's supposed to have WIPEABLE STRAPS. I can tell you, I would trade any highchair for one with that feature.

Oh god, I don't even want to think about what's on ours.

:(

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

It's pretty hard to deal with the pressure of people telling you not to spoil your baby. When my son was born, his dad was constantly berating me for going to pick him up when he was crying, because (direct quote), "then he'll just learn that if he cries you'll come pick him up!" Which I thought was kind of the point of having a baby. It really got to me, because my instincts were telling me to pick him up, but he was insistent that I didn't, and would get my old-school family to back him up ("well, your mom babied your brother, and now he's marrying that guy out in Montreal because of it!") So then when I was alone in the house, it felt like I was sort of secretly picking my son up and holding him. So, so messed up.

Point is, if you parent the way other people tell you to, you'll probably regret it. And it's not like they'll change whatever their opinion of you as a parent was before you followed their advice or not. So, uh, follow your heart. Or whatever.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Toadpuppy posted:

That's awful - they managed to combine the crazy idea that babies can be spoiled with the crazy idea that being nice to your baby turns him gay. It's terrible that they made you feel bad for acting on your perfectly normal maternal instincts.

Yeah, it was weird. Kind of like I would have felt more supported if I had no support. Oddly enough, it was probably the least compatible guy that I ever dated who managed to knock me up, in retrospect. Next baby is just going to be done on my own (in the doctor's office - sperm catalogues are a trip!), and I'm not even going to bother telling some of my family. Obviously they'll find out eventually, but I figure I'll at least have some peace and quiet for most of my pregnancy.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Toadpuppy posted:

My daughter was a late talker, too. We had her evaluated just in case, because the doctor said she didn't see anything really wrong with her but not having something like 30 words by age 2 is a good reason to have her checked out. Her hearing was fine, and the evaluation showed that she understood perfectly well, she just didn't like talking. I would highly recommend an evaluation because at the very least it will put her parents' minds at ease.

This I would totally agree with. Thing is, if you go to get them evaluated, you'll either get a green light, or, if there is some sort of developmental disorder or other factor, you can start doing something about it. Usually kids are totally fine, and even if they are, often the people doing the assessment will give you some proactive things to do (maybe some signing or book recs, whatever), which if nothing else, makes you feel more proactive.

My kid might be on the spectrum, and at his age (under two), we do lots of play based therapy, which certainly doesn't hurt.

ETA: Does anyone have any recommendations for children's music that doesn't drive you insane? I like Jack Johnson, and Bobs & Lolo have been pretty popular, but some of it drives me insane.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 28, 2012

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Thanks to everyone that gave music recommendations, I'm definitely going to check them out (I really like the "C for Conifer" song!) I've been out of town the last couple days, so it was a few pages back. We pretty much listen to everything, but I have no clue about kids stuff, and I figured there had to be some decent things out there.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Our maid is wonderful and we couldn't run the house without her. I feel very bad for her because she (and my wife and I) haven't gotten a full night of sleep in a year and a half. Right now my wife is out with her friends at a Sting concert, so I'm looking after 2 babies, mine and theirs. Andrew's constant screaming is upsetting the younger baby, who is already scared enough at sleeping in an unfamiliar house with unfamiliar people.

Part of it could be a phase. Kids seem to go through phases of liking one parent over the other, and she's pretty much the 3rd parent. So as far as his attachment to her, I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep in mind that she's part of the (Filipino?) nanny network in Hong Kong, so when she takes him out during the day, he's surrounded by other nannies and their kids, so those are the interactions he's exposed to the most. It's like one giant playdate. Just do your best to spend quality time with him. My nanny did 12 years in Hong Kong prior to coming here to work for me, and the expectations from Chinese families are wildly different. If it makes you feel better, your nanny has pretty much won the lottery. They all want to work for Americans over Chinese.

Because my schedule is kind of random, I sometimes take my son to activities, and sometimes his nanny takes him. It's kind of funny, because sometimes I'll be the only mom with 10 nannies, and sometimes it's the reverse.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Does everyone pretty much do the Santa thing? We're not there yet, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea. At the same time, I remember how great the idea of Santa is. Is there some sort of middle ground? Like, telling them it's a big group pretend?

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Interesting - the Santa thing seems to run the gamut. I'm sort of tossing around the idea of doing "Santa" but right away talking about "pretending" Santa. The part about how other people believe in him is probably important. I do like the stockings and stuff, I figure we can go through the motions without the deception part. It's probably harmless, but the idea is uncomfortable. Also, those "elf on a shelf" things are awful.

I guess it's going to be good practice for how the Exodus isn't an actual historical event (I learned not everyone realizes that the hard way last year.)

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

AlistairCookie posted:

Sightly off topic, but I just read in Parents magazine that 60-some percent of parents they surveyed believed that religious faith is essential to teach morality. Essential. So it's impossible to teach to be a good person without the fear of divine punishment? And so, while I indulge in the magic of Santa, it is not tied to behavior.
I've actually started to read up on secular parenting and morality. I can explain it to an adult, but I'm interested in how other secular parents have addressed issues like morality, death, etc. One book I read is essays from various parents on how they handled these issues. It seems a bit more complicated, because I don't really have a secular reference for a lot of parenting things.

ETA: Although I do remember visiting my maternal grandfather when I was very young, and his version of things (Adam & Eve, dinosaurs drowning in the flood, hellfire in general but particularly for my mother-who-cut-her-hair-and-married-outside-the-faith), didn't really jive with things. My dad just basically said that where there's a difference between what granpere said and the National Geographic popup books, just go with those. I didn't particularly like the idea of having to wear awful dresses and having yucky hair like my cousins and aunts, so I was happy with that.

Chandrika posted:

My daughter is 3 and we are not doing the "sees you while you're sleeping" Santa. We've explained the concept to her, and told her Santa is pretend the way the Cat in the Hat is pretend. That doesn't mean we can't have fun pretending, but he's a character, not real. We decided on this for a number of reasons - but primarily truth. We reinforce to Autumn that we tell her the truth about everything, and this is a bit of a credibility destroyer.

This is a big one for me. I don't know if kids look back and base credibility on the Santa thing, but I don't want it to be an issue.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2012

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

It's weird. I have these moments where I tear up a little looking at tiny baby pictures, or coming across old clothing (or seeing other babies, and realizing that my kid used to be that small), but then I have other times where I can't wait until we can do awesome stuff like rides at Disneyworld, or snowboard/surfing and go to rad museums and stuff. It's a weird combination of feelings.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

It mostly makes the strange combination of sad and impatient feelings go away, if I remember how awesome he is right now.

Oh, I'm not just sitting around crying or impatient, it's just I get these feelings sometimes. Case in point about present being hilarious - we didn't have a good time with Santa photos today:

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Cake on birthdays is pretty standard. I don't see how it's a problem.

Inlaws feeding crappy food all the time though? That's a different story. Going to visit his dad's relatives was pretty trying. "Oh, you can't raise kids without french fries, I ordered these just for him!" Seriously? He's not even 18 months, and you think that french fries and ice cream are something he should be eating every day? Of course, most of the cousins on that side are pretty obese (think a 250lb 11 year old :( ), so I'm not really confident in their nutritional expertise.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

I think it can be hard to strike a balance. I know that I grew up in a house with a mom constantly on a diet, and it messed me up around food for years.

My ex sister-in-law's kids are elementary age, and at least one of their little friends is terribly restricted at home. Result? Whenever she's at my ex SIL's house, she runs to the pantry looking for "good food", and starts gorging on whatever she can find, while promising not to tell her mom. She's 8. The same kid brings her own all organic bullshit cupcakes to parties and the like, and has to walk home across the street to get her own organic milk during snacks, she's not allowed conventional milk.

Then you have kids that eat nothing but french fries and microwave pizzas. Not much better.

Sometimes community centres and the like offer free workshops with dieticians on feeding toddlers and babies, which might be of use. Here they're offered at Whole Foods as well, and they're totally free. Maybe there's something like that in your area.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

I remember that a lot of the kids I went to school with were walking to and from school on their own in grade 1. Playing in the front yard is pretty normal I would think.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

This is great, and I think it's pretty spot-on. Another one in the same vein is "Free-Range Kids." Much of it is about not being a helicopter parent, but there's a lot of talk about the actual stats and what makes an actual street smart kid.

ETA: All of the assaults, abductions etc. that I know of personally through friends, were pretty much always via someone that was trusted. The only two ones I personally know of involving strangers were flashing incidents (which are kind of "drive-bys" so to speak), and even one of those was a neighbour.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 5, 2013

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

SassySally posted:

She backed me up on no cereal and said that when babies learn something new, they often wake up extra. (I don't think I saw that mentioned here.)

This is so true. My kid has some communication delays, and the most recent example of this is that he recently came up with signs for songs (Slippery Fish, Zoom Zoom Zoom, Itsy Bitsy Spider.) So he would wake me up at two in the morning to make me sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, he was so excited. Same when he could pull himself up or other milestones.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Alterian posted:

We just give our kid something to eat when we eat our meals even if he doesn't really eat it and plays with it. He's still working on the swallowing thing, but he's into putting things in his mouth and chewing and having it fall back out.

This is pretty much what I did. Not sure if I really half assed it or not, but it's pretty much what was recommended by a local dietician who would host workshops on infant/family feeding. Basically letting them eat off the side of your plates and getting them used to different textures.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

It also depends on your car - beyond the infant car seat, my car simply could not fit a rear-facing seat (this was a sports coupe), unless it was pretty much upside down. My kid went over the weight limit on his bucket seat at about 6 months (and you can't do forward facing before a year here, if memory serves), so there were a few months where if we were planning a car outing, I had to take him in his dad's car. Even when he was a year, I had to spend a good chunk of time with the installer at the car store to find a seat that fit and installed properly in my car. The manufacturer's website did have a list of seats that would fit in the car, but most of them were American, so it wasn't all that helpful.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

My biggest thing that I learned with sleep "training" (the word has pretty negative connotations, but I'm referring to getting used to a bedtime routine, this is night vs day, etc), was to not change his diaper unless it was soaking or soiled. The diaper changing is kind of an awake activity. Once I stopped doing that, it was much easier to settle him back down after a nighttime feed (also leaving the lights off, not making lots of noise, etc.) Just piled on the diaper cream with the last change of the day.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Has anyone ever done this with two kids? My toddler (he'll be about 32 months when new baby arrives), comes into my bed in the middle of the night, which I'm fine with. He can be a little kick-y, but generally sleeps through the night at that point.

I'll have a bassinet beside the bed for the baby, but with nursing, etc., the baby will probably be moving into the bed with me at some point. Should I just get rails for both sides and keep myself in the middle? Should I wean my kid off of coming into bed with me? I don't really have a desire to buy a cosleeper (and most of them were recalled here anyway), but I don't think the mesh side rails are designed for small babies, more toddlers.

I could also possibly rotate my bed so that the side is up against the wall, rather than the head being against the wall.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I didn't let the older kids sleep in the bed when the baby was a newborn if I wasn't awake. I was uncomfortable with it because kids can sleep so deeply and can thrash about quite a bit. It also isn't recommended for safe cosleeping practices. I did put a crib/toddler mattress on the floor beside my bed and they were allowed to crash there. When the baby was old enough that it wasn't a worry anymore, the mattress went in the other room.

That makes sense - everything I've read has basically said toddler + newborn isn't a great combination. How old would it be when you felt it wasn't much of a worry?

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I wish that was an option, but unfortunately we either make the trip our we don't get to see my parents ever. It's a crappy situation, and we won't be doing it often for that reason.

Yeah, toddlerhood is the worst time for travelling. In retrospect, travelling with an infant is great, since they don't really have the independent thought thing going on. I have to fly to Buenos Aires in January, and I'm seriously considering leaving my son with his dad, since he'll be about three then, and just taking the baby, who'll be about 4 months at that point.

If possible, I find red-eye flights to be the best, and try and do those whenever possible, since you have a better chance of them sleeping. I also find that if my kid is physically restrained (such as with a CARES harness or carseat), he pretty much will accept that he can't go anywhere, and will be happier to just accept his fate. If it's just me relying on him staying still, or being held in my lap, it really doesn't work.

iPads are a lifesaver.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Grammar Fascist posted:

Our last flight with our then-13 month old was at night (9 pm to midnight) flight, and it was the only flight we've ever taken with him where he would not go to sleep, even though it was well past bedtime. The problem was that with the dark cabin, the bright glow of everyone's iPads was a huge distraction. During the day it's never a problem, and the engine sounds lull him right to sleep.

Oh god, that would be awful. I never even thought about that, and luckily it hasn't been a problem with mine. I guess you don't really know how your kid will react until you take him on the flight. I can't wait until my kid is old enough to watch full length movies, do puzzle books, etc. He's at the age where he needs to move. Short flights are ok, long flights I can find an overnight - the worst are the in-between ones.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

When my kid was going through the super squirmy phase during diaper changes (18-24 months or so I think?), I let him watch Gangnam Style on my iPhone. I figured I was going to have to suffer either way.

ETA: Totally unrelated, but holy poo poo. I can't even imagine someone doing this to my kid:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-vyktoriah/what-happened-when-my-son-wore-a-pink-headband-to-walmart_b_3696113.html

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 5, 2013

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

I'm apparently hard at work turning my son gay again. On Monday we were running some errands, and we needed to get some pullups. I try to let him pick his own stuff, and this time, for whatever reason, he wanted the Disney princess girl ones (he also picked out a Thomas the Train picture book.) I know how his dad feels about these things, but completely forgot about it on Tuesday when his dad picked him up for dinner, and I got a sternly worded email afterwards.

The thing is, I really don't think preferring a colour sometimes or all the times has anything to do with sexuality, and even if it did, hooray for him. I am a little concerned though about how concerned his dad is about it. His nanny was telling me about how the other week she had to change his shorts because his dad felt they were too bright an orange colour and didn't want to take him out like that. Is it just me, or is his dad being a little odd?

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Sounds like my father in law and I'm not sure if 'odd' is the right word, he's scared that pink will turn his little boy gay. Stupid is probably more accurate.

hepscat posted:

Even more irritating to me is a parent who thinks their kids' sexuality is something they have to keep from going gay. I don't know your home situation - sounds like you are separated - but I'd address that idiocy with the dad and do whatever you can to bring your kid up in an accepting environment.

Yeah, he often says/does things that are just far enough out there that I start to question whether I'm the crazy one. I'm kind of hoping that for my son's sake he ends up totally straight/cisgendered and into hockey so that he doesn't have to deal with his dad. He doesn't really have anything to worry about on my end, my brother and his husband are around a fair bit, my cousin is FTM, my other one is a lesbian (I do think that might be part of his dad's problem, since he seems to feel that my genetic contributions consist of gayness and a propensity towards sunburn), but I hope his dad snaps out of it at some point. I got court-ordered counseling for him that he's been dragging his feet on, but I really feel it's something that needs to be addressed.

OzyMandrill posted:

Ignore anything you read on the internet about vaccines, far too much scare mongering & bullshit out there.

End of the day, if you trust your doctor enough to prescribe drugs to your child, you should trust them enough on vaccines (which are considerably safer) ;)
This. Your doctor knows more than Dr Google. He's aware she's on the antibiotics, and feels it's ok. Doing your own research is awesome, but with vaccines there is just so much crap out there.

Interesting how that anti-vaccine pastor behind the measles epidemic in Portland has done a full 180 on his views.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

appleskates posted:

She's not, and what's funny is that she keeps trying to convince her Dada when she's here that Mama lets her eat chicken and cheese now. (She doesn't, we checked!) We hit up Whole Foods yesterday and stocked up on almond milk, fruits, cereals and stuff like that, but I was really wanting to make something for dinner Friday so we could all sit down together for our first family meal. My boyfriend's got the whole week to spend with her at Grandma's house before they're heading back to our place, so she will have plenty of Dada time and I will also have a week where it's just me and my kid. So hopefully it'll all go really well. I'm so excited. :)

For vegan foods, mediterranean and indian cuisine tends to do with quite well without trying to pretend to be meat. Chickpeas and the like give them substance. I cook a lot of food out of the book "Plenty" by Ottolenghi, and often inadvertently end up with entire vegan dinners that omnivores will eat without feeling like they're missing out. Eggplant and squash are starting to come out this time of year, and they tend to be a bit heartier. Maybe the cooking forum could help you out.

(I also eat tonnes of meat, but like variety.)

As far as helping a 14 year old... can you give her a "job" to help out? Like having her show how to hold the guinea pig and clean its cage, etc. Maybe ask her for her advice on how to help make a four year old feel less nervous being away from her mom. If she feels like she's helping out the grownups rather than sharing the attention with the four year old, it might reframe it a bit.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

I know there's been a few other parents with kids who have an ASD diagnosis. We're going in for the first part of an evaluation tomorrow (after a significant delay, I needed a court order since his dad wasn't giving consent), and a conversation today made me realize that his dad is building a "case" against a diagnosis (yeah....) He's also sent emails to the professionals currently working with our son that this is a "private family matter" and he's telling them not to be a part of the process, which has gone over AWESOME with them. I guess my question for anyone who has been through this is how much to the diagnosticians rely on their own observations, and how much on what the parents report? For example, if our son is flapping his hands, his dad says he taught him that for when he has a question (nevermind that we have no sentences...), or if he's walking backwards, it's because he taught him to moonwalk :downs: Also, I'm a little worried that he's going to alienate the professionals we're already working with, and I'm trying not to make any comments about him being an idiot, because if they don't like him, they aren't going to like working with him, and I'm really trying hard to get him on board and get over his "AIN'T NUTHIN WRONG WITH MA SON JUST YOUR BOOK LERNIN'..." thing he has going on.

It's so odd, because he keeps repeating this whole, "He's so smart!" line, and yeah, our kid does some pretty smart things, but I can't seem to make him understand that ASDs and cognitive impairment/global delays are two separate things.

Kubricize posted:

It will not poison them with chemicals or fructose or whatever other poo poo you find on natural news and other stupid websites, it will not make them dumb or delay development. TO say otherwise or to look down on the parents who do so is nothing more than playing at being the most bestest elitist hippy mom on the block. Parenting is not a competition, you do not need to prove how hardcore you are. Nor do you have to feel ashamed by some rear end in a top hat saying you are some how lesser than she is for daring to give your baby a replacement for breast milk.

This needs to be on pretty much every parenting forum out there.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting Sudocream out of hair? Or carpets for that matter.

My kid does this with vaseline at every opportunity. Creams in general, but vaseline is a particular favourite. At least with the vaseline, dish soap seems to work the best for hair.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Axiem posted:

Regarding "no touching", around 15? months (maybe 16?), what started working for us was just saying "If you touch the cat food (or whatever) again, you're going to be put in time out, okay?" Most of the time, she gets it and goes to do something else, instead.

My kid's almost three, and doesn't really respond to "no." I'm sure part of it is his ASD, but right now I work on just having a physical deterrent. He's getting a bit better, and I think part of it is I've just given up on the non important things at home and have turned them into a bit of a game (mainly to save my sanity), and focus on things which are important (like safety issues, property damage - I figured after 3 years, he cats can fend for themselves.) My favourite was when I was visiting my cousin who has a daughter born within a few months of my kid. I noticed she had no locks or other childproofing on her cabinets. When I mentioned it, her response was "Oh, she got curious about them last week, and I just told her no - hasn't touched them since!" Her daughter is like this weird robot kid that likes personal grooming, tea parties, and cleaning.

Not that I'm jealous, or anything. I try and console myself into thinking it must be really boring to not operate on high-alert all day.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

greatn posted:

Yeah if the plane crashes that car seat is gonna save his life.

Actually, there was a case here where the only survivor of a plane wreck was the kid in the carseat: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=812_1193735173

Alternatively, there have been cases where the only death was the unrestrained infant:
http://news.ca.msn.com/local/north/nunavut-crash-prompts-call-for-child-seats-on-planes

That being said, flights on the whole are quite safe, so your risk is ultimately low. Airlines put parents in a lovely situation by offering the entire lap child thing to begin with. Flights are so expensive for families, and buying a seat for your kid is considered a luxury. Especially since kids under a certain age with their own seat need a carseat for that seat, but you aren't guaranteed that it will fit, and it's drat near impossible to get the airlines to provide accurate seat dimensions. So even if you buy your kid a seat, if the flight attendants say no to your seat, you're out the money with nothing to show for it. Yet I'm not allowed to have my purse out, but a baby on my lap is A-OK. I'm flying to Chile with my youngest in about 10 days and I've booked the infant cot for him the whole time (usually this is only available on international flights), but that's really only useful when they're super young and flying with them is easy anyway.

My older one I started using a flight harness for him when he was about a year, and it works more or less ok. I do wish there were better options (like on-board 5 point harnesses or special plane seats) for kids.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

EVG posted:

I'll hit up a book store (if I can find such a thing still in existence) and look at what they have - was thinking maybe some beginner books with Greek or other mythology would be awesome, if I can find any for such an early age for readability and reduced swan-rape and the like. ;)

There are some books kind of like that - I got my kid a Jabberwocky board book. A couple places do some rad versions of classics for toddlers. Books are always my favourite gifts to receive.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

sheri posted:

You have said you like your job, want to make a career out of it, and that you don't have the patience to put up with two toddlers every day...so it seems like you answered your own question. Yeah, it sucks that they are sick all the time but would you rather have them be sick now or be sick when they would have to miss time from 'real' school?

There really is no avoiding it. The GP told me that my second would be sicker than my first, because my first is bringing home all the germs from preschool. The payoff though (well, hopefully), is that my younger kid will be less sick when they start preschool. You're going to get it now or get it later, but you're going to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

Not a teacher, but I've worked with a lot of classrooms part time over the last five years and there have been several times at break where I've pulled the teachers aside and asked about it particular kid. It's not uncommon to hear, "Yes, we've known about this for several years and the parents refuse an evaluation because they don't want the label." The problem with this attitude is that it's not just the teacher who is impacted. It's the kid themselves and the other students. Not just the neurotypical kids either. My oldest son is autistic, and one of the problems that the other autism parents encounter is that while they might have a full-time aide for their child on paper, if there's an undiagnosed kid in the class (be it ASD, ADHD, ODD, etc.), the aide is often pulled away from their child to help with the other one. It's not fair. No funding is allocated for a kid without a dx or code, and no help is offered unless you have that.

The other issue is when you look at the worst case scenario from both approaches. Worst case scenario, if your kid does not need the extra help, it's not going to be forced on them. School districts don't want to pay more for a service that's not needed. The IEP is constantly being reviewed. On the other hand, a kid who needs help might not get it. To me, that has far worse and long reaching consequences than someone getting more help than they need.