Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Newf posted:

Hello thread. My wife and I are expecting our first in mid November.

Does thread have feelings or general impressions on cloth vs disposable diapers? Clicking around about it online has made my eyes glaze over.

Anecdotally: our daughter has been potty trained (except overnights) since just after turning 2. Of my friends with kids we're the only ones who cloth diapered, and our daughter potty trained a year sooner than any of their kids.

Out of everything that stressed us out as new parents, cloth diapering was a breeze. We did prefolds to start, but once they aren't going every 30-60 minutes, all-in-ones made things as easy as disposables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Panfilo posted:

Costco is great for Formula as well.

They also have giant inexpensive bottles of wine. Parenting essentials.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

nwin posted:

Question on bed time for a 4.5 month old...

So...if he’s not crying when we put him down, and looks wide awake and smiles, what the gently caress do we do? Also-when we bring him back downstairs or start holding him again, he will rub his eyes, yawn, and usually start crying again which makes us think he is tired.

Leave him. He'll figure it out, especially if the room is dark.

Kids will wake up in the middle of the night and just look around, acting wide awake, them just pass back out. As long as their in a crib, and can't get out, don't worry.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

On trouble with transitioning from being held to put in crib- jostle them while you hold them to sleep, they might wake up, but they'll get used to movement, and start learning to get themselves back to sleep. Also if there are other signs, maybe they have an ear infection. Ours showed no other signs except sleep issues for a few days, but it was their equilibrium being thrown off.

We also have a kid who would put their feet out of baby jail in their sleep, and end up waking because of it. We got mesh crib bumpers, and they worked wonders. I know they say not to get bumpers, but it's mesh, and she turned it ok.

In the end your kid will have to figure out how to sleep, and picking them up when they're pissed off is reinforcing not figuring it out. You know your kid, you know when they're crying for comfort and when they're actually in distress.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

hooah posted:

How can se get out toddler to stop swallowing her toothpaste?

we have a game to see how loud ours can spit in the sink when we tell her, and we have her spit halfway through brushing,

on twins: our twins were hell up until recently, when they slept through the night, about 11 months. I'd also recommend a baby brezza formula pro, if/when you need to supplement.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

hospitals know the reality of their advice; it's best if it works for you, but do what you have to to survive those first months.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

re: in-laws
you'll eventually have to give them the ultimatum of not seeing kids, so sooner is better.

but also pick which battles you want to make that stand on. safety issues, like following doctors orders, and not telling you when they're sick, aren't something you should compromise on. but your kid is going to interact, and be taken care of by other people soon, and you'll have to be flexible on your preferences.

i deal with this with my in-laws when they see my kids. they're certain the way they raised kids is the only way anyone should, and that any modern science is bullshit... until i flipped on my mil for leaving stuffed animals in a 3 months old bed at night, and threatened to never have her in my home again.
i am clear is something is a preference though... i know they give them more sugary foods than i want, and buy toys, and clothes we don't want, but that's not going to hurt my kids, and they're little things that make my in-laws feel good.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

wizzardstaff posted:

Through the Fire and Flames was my go-to song for getting my kid to calm down at 2 months old. Just tried it again at 8 months and it still works. From crying to soothed in seconds. She just needs something to focus on.

protip: starting at like 9 months, for bedtime, sing to them a song they would never normally hear (no regular kids songs). do it nearly every night until they're like two.
i had a long drive with my four year old recently, and she was refusing to sleep. so i sang the song and she was out after the first verse. i don't song it at bedtime anymore, but it's ingrained in her now.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PerniciousKnid posted:

My daughter turned 3 and declared herself too old for naps. She spends the afternoon stumbling around and crying about everything but NO NAPS TOO BIG FOR NAPS.

we did "rests" when ours did this. we told her her body needs some rest time, and she could spend her rest time in her room coloring, doing a puzzle, but it had to be quiet time, with only a little lamp. a lot of times she would fall asleep on her own. she liked that it wasn't called nap time, and we still got a break.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Levitate posted:

Any recommendations for sources of toddler/kids music like streaming stuff? Kind of eh on YouTube for stuff but if there’s a good channel then I guess that works too

Or like cool takes in kids music done with guitars etc

caspar babypants has two albums of beatles covers that are mostly great. his other stuff is good to, but my 4 year old likes the beatles songs. i didn't know until recently that he's also the lead singer of the presidents of the united states of america, so he's got that going for him.

we have a couple amazon echos, and a spotify subscription, and i have to recommend just getting both. spotify has all kinds of playlists, and you can just ask alexa to play acoustic baby songs, and it'll come up with something. and spotify recommends music if you find a particular artist you like.

it has also significantly cut down on tv time. we can usually chill out for a little bit with some songs they like for a while, and it's nice having in the background. no getting or the phone, or turning on a computer to turn something on. also as kids get older they feel empowered by the voice control to control something like music without having to ask you.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

we did "gentle touch" like that too, and it worked okay.

if he knows "owie" for hurt, then you can play up being hurt, saying "owie" and crying. our kids would laugh initially, to see if it's a game, but we'd keep crying saying "owie!" that worked for all of them, and sometimes they'd obviously feel bad they'd hurt us...

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

it might be dreams, but sometimes it's growing pains that can cause thrashing and can keep a kid up, or wake them up at that age. you could try some ibuprofen before bed.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

our 18 month olds have molars, but they have trouble swallowing the carrots once they're chewed into little bits. i think our oldest was like two and a half before she got the hang of it.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

found my 19 month old twins naked in their cribs, one standing in a puddle of pee, the other holding his diaper full of poop. i knew the naked phase was going to happen, but my god they got there in style...

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

some of you might have legitimate sociopaths for partners, but a lot of you sound like your partners have postpartum depression and anxiety. it can go on for years, and it's not their fault their brain broke.

when our twins were born my wife didn't like being around them. she felt awful about that, but then made excuses to not be around them. there was a lot of stigma for us to get past, and financial barriers, and lots of honest discussions about feelings. eventually she was able to see a therapist, and got some medication, and things have improved significantly.

try not to judge your partners too severely, especially if the two of you are talking about how they feel as a parent. they might be carrying a lot of guilt, because they can't be the parent they want to be right now, and they might not know why they feel that...

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i was being flippant.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

life is killing me posted:

So my kid is now thrashing and hitting and kicking each diaper change with or without rash, and it’s super fun to continue to be ignored when I tell him not to do something. He’s also doing the thrashing at nights after the bath which doubles the time it takes to get him dressed for bed. We have made a point of only doing time out when he does something he’s not supposed to and/or ignores us if it’s carrying a possibility or risk of hurting himself, otherwise we are trying to teach him stuff and I really hope the willfulness is a phase.

Also how is everyone dealing with the MINE MINE MINE phase? This is terrible and I know it’s normal at this age but holy gently caress.

one of mine does not like laying down to change diaper or clothes, and thrashes like yours. depending on the grossness of the diaper we change him standing up. sometimes we have to put him down, and we tell him that he needs to lie down, and about half the time he complies, and half the time he doesn't.

as far as the "mine" phase: it's going to happen, but see if he's communicating something else if it's constant. maybe he needs a space of his own, or maybe he wants to flex his independence, and you can find some way to show him to be more independent (like picking his own clothes). is there a certain place, or time it happens, or an object he's especially focused on?
i really think kids are usually frustrated about failed communication when their behavior gets exhausting for parents.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i am going to be traveling for work for 5-6 weeks. I'll be returning home a couple of weekends, but mostly I'll be away. I've been prepping my 4 year old for it, but the twin 1 year olds won't comprehend... it's going to be hard to miss month 20, they're learning words daily, and they'll be so much more developed when i get back.

any survival tips for being away from young kiddos? or something i can do for my wife since so much if the parenting will be in her?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mostly to vent: so the positive count is going up in my city, and the governor is talking about lifting restrictions... while we haven't even maybe peaked. anyhow we've been sending our 1yr old twins and our 4yr old to daycare, but we're getting nervous about keeping them there with the increases and the restrictions lifting (we're still under 100 confirmed in the city). Spouse and I are both are able to work from home now, but... when daycare was closed for 2 weeks at the end of March everyone in the house was going extra, and I'm not sure we could do that for an extended period without one of us quitting/losing our job.

and I bring this anxiety up to parent friends/coworkers, and I'm told I'm crazy for wanting to keep them in daycare. like no one I know has three under 5 with both parents working full time, they're not chasing two toddlers and a preschooler while trying to file their loving reports. I'm certain we're doing what best for our family, but god drat I just want some understanding, and less judgement!

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

dirty epic posted:

video games meltdowns. Is this one of those things that you just have to wait for them to grow out of?

when my oldest plays games i'll ask her if she wants to play for 30, 45 or 60 minutes (whatever amounts we're comfortable with her playing that day), and she decides on one of the options and she tells our echo to set a timer for that time.

when it goes off, i'll ask her to shut it off. if she resists, i'll give her the option to shut it off now, or she can have another 2-5 more minutes to finish up whatever plan she was working on. if she wants more time she sets another timer.

after that time is up i tell her to shut it off, or I'm shutting it off in 10 seconds, then i slowly start counting to 10. i don't engage in arguments/pleading, just slowly count to 10 and then turn off the game.

she'll shut it off in her own 30% of the time in the first alarm, 30% on the second, and 30% before i reach 10. the remaining 10% of the times is me shutting it off, and that leads to tears, and sometimes meltdowns...

giving her options, and making it her decision on how long to play has cut down on meltdowns so much. she really responds well when it's her responsibility instead of something we impose.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hadlock posted:

Is there a good book on parenting,

I like "how to talk to kids so they will listen," and a few other books by faber and mazlish. it's all about feelings and communication of feelings, and mutual respect between parent and child.

i don't believe books that say "if you do this you'll get this kind of kid." that's stupid. your kids will pick up on your values, and worldview, and it'll seems schizophrenic because you're trying to parent in a way, from a book, that's not really what you believe. but if you can be authentic with them, and have some kind of respect for each other, they're more likely than not going to develope shared values with you.

but in the end your kid might date a motorcycle-man or get a stupid degree, and you might have to accept them regardless. parenting sucks.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Steely Dad posted:

vague cry for help

my oldest has loved khan academy kids app. we have her tablet set to 30-60 minutes depending on the day. would 100% recommend for preschool aged. and just generally kids books you and nanny read to them.

but really get them some water colors and crayons and a heap of blocks. preschoolers are developing their fine and gross motor skills preparing them for things like writing, and wiping their own butts.

and schedule their days, with outside times, art time, reading time, app time, free play time. part of developing socially is developing the skills to work and learn within a schedule.

in the end give yourself and your kids some grace; no one is being their best selves during this, and your kids won't be ruined if they have one weird year without formal preschool. you're thinking about it, and trying, and that's going to be enough.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 11, 2020

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DaveSauce posted:

Nothing we've tried is truly leak proof. Best luck we've had is with the Munchkin 360 cups:

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-2pk-miracle-360-trainer-cup-7oz/-/A-54256964

singing this praise too.

one caveat is if you're kid bites the cup while they drink the silicone will crack in the edge, and once that happens the seal is broken and it just leaks, and you'll need a new lid.

also the oring is easily removed with a butter knife for cleaning.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 11, 2020

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think kids can gum stuff like Cheerios without teeth? Is that true?

kids gums have all their teeth right under them so it's a different experience than an adult with no teeth. as long as it's not nut hard food they can manage chewing... the choking concern is because of tongue dexterity.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

a diaper found its way into the wash, and I've been wiping diaper goo out of the washing machine for a while now. how're yalls nights going?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

like everything else in parenting, it depends on the kid, but you're fine.

as long as they didn't get child protective services involved... i get that their work is extremely important when is needed, but I've worked with enough cps workers to see that many of them just look for reasons to make your life shittier.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

^^^that article is solid. in the end your kids will decide to eat what you give them simply because there's no other option. unless they are already developing or have an eating disorder, your children won't starve themselves.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

get one that converts and does both .
little potties are so much easier for littler toddlers, and the consistence of still using the same seat make the transition to the big toilet easier for our oldest.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

does he still nap?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

life is killing me posted:

About an hour a day or less now. He’s not yet three and WILL nap that hour, so we decided not to do away with his nap but it feels like he’s weaning himself off naps slowly. He did the same thing with my wife’s boobs, then her milk, then his paci. Why not his naps next. I don’t know how early is too early. He just rarely goes past that hour no matter how tired he is, and same for the night wake ups—it will still happen even if all the other planets aligned and if not it’s a fluke

when our oldest was starting to ween off her naps she'd get up in the middle of the night on the days she took her nap. we started putting her to bed later on those days, and it helped.

we got a sounds machine for our twins when they started to wake up in the middle of the night and wake the other up with their babbling. homedic make a really loud one that works well. if your kiddo is a light sleeper maybe he's hearing something that wakes him, or scares him.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hadlock posted:

I heard a rumour from the early childhood training lady the hospital provided, that cloth diapers are really miserable to stew in your own poo poo, even momentarily, and might be a good carrot/stick to get kids to want to potty train; I guess the logic being that modern diapers are so good and convenient that kids would rather put up with diaper changes thane change their routine, but I'm not willing to empirically test this myself

we did cloth for our oldest, and this was definitely the case; she potty trained very quickly. when we had twins we couldn't keep up with cloth, so we went disposable, and potty training has been tougher.

for the question about letting the kids know about potty training: we also have an... open door policy in the bathroom with the kids. around one and a half they loved following us into the bathroom, and we'd just talk to them all about toilets, and how they'd go potty some day, and they've been (mostly) excited about using the toilet. i think if they're interested in you doing it, and see your interest in it, they'll be more interested in doing it themselves.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

5 months for gas issues to resolve sounds right. it's one of those things that slowly gets better so gradually you can't really say when it stops.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

try as we might our youngests would rip their masks off as soon as we put one on them until 2 and a half recently. i haven't seen anyone successfully masking a child under 2 for more than a minute.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

what kind of food does your 4 year old make? my 5 year old is interested in cooking, and i got her some nylon knives for kids, so she helps me cut while i cook, but I struggle to find her things to make that are at her level. she's done tortilla roll ups, and pbj, but i know she wants to make more.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

the first week my oldest (4 at the time) wore her mask she licked it so much it was covered in spit, and it was not easy for her to breathe in after.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i tried explaining it, then just said it's a stupid game grownups like to play, which she seemed to get more than anything else i said.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tamarillo posted:

Transition to toddler bed + a "toddler barrier" thing you can put on the edge of the bed that provides several inches of roll-out-prevention.

we used a pool noodle under the sheet on the open edge for the barrier. one of our kids just could not get the hang of not rolling out of bed.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

my 5 year old has started hitting me and her siblings as her very first response to getting angry this week. we've been working on all the regular recommend responses; talking through her feelings, trying to give her a more appropriate outlet, calming strategies, taking videogame privileges as a consequence. she'll calm down, but as soon as she gets one little frustration she's consumed with rage again. she started biting the last two days now.

wife and i are so confused by the change, and how sudden it happened, and all the book/website/smart parenting advice is not working. we've talked with her teacher, and there's nothing different happening at school, and she's not around any other people.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sibling chat: my wife wanted at least two, I wanted no more than two, so our whole 5/10/50 year plan involved two kids.

Then her second pregnancy ended up being twins, and now we have three kids, and the twin's first year and a half were excruciating, and our life plan is a big shrug (which is getting better, but those first two years were survival mode).

My wife says we're a cautionary tale to those who can't decide if they want more kids.

All that to say: sometimes planning for kids just doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

A ten year old park kids called my three year old a bitch, and threatened to stab my wife because they wouldn't get off the swing she wanted. Unattended groups of preteen park kids are the worst.