Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
My 18mo figured out how to unbuckle the chest clip of her car seat and also understands it's the absolute best way to get us to give her attention. Anyone got a solution? I feel like I need to wrap it in duct tape every car ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Sorry for the long vent post, but it's a week later and I'm still in a state of shock at the sheer incompetence. Last Friday, my son's preschool sent out an email welcoming families to the coming Fall season. School started this Monday. The email was the normal orientation stuff and some info about COVID precautions and how they're going to keep everyone as safe as possible. There's also a liability waiver parents need to sign, releasing the school from legal liability if there's an outbreak. Makes sense given that none of the kids can be vaccinated. Then this nugget:

quote:

We have supported and encouraged all of our staff to be vaccinated. The majority are fully vaccinated at the time of this letter. Vaccines and testing are not currently required by our Community Care Licensing and we will continue to follow their guidance.

We had assumed all the adults were vaccinated. I emailed the administration and said that was a surprising and disturbing thing to learn now, 4 days from the start of the school year, when we have zero chance of ever finding another preschool that could boast full vaccination (and there are a lot of preschools in California that use that as an explicit selling point). I needed to know if our son's teacher was vaccinated.

Them: "We cannot release private medical information about staff. The vast majority of the staff are vaccinated."
Me: "Yes you absolutely can, but fine. You don't have to name them, just tell me how many staff are vaccinated? You're asking us to assume risk, the least you can do is help us understand what that risk is."

Much hemming and hawing about how they're in an awkward position, blah blah blah TELL ME THE loving HEADCOUNT OF VACCINATED STAFF.

"Of our 20 staff, 4 have not yet been vaccinated". Loving the word choice here, as if those 4 are gonna get the shot any day now. No, they're anti-vax morons and they're never getting it. The administrator is useless, so I just email my son's teacher directly. I tell her we're excited for the school year, but this news came as a shock. The administrator says her hands are tied in releasing vaccination info so I'm asking her directly, are you vaccinated? No response all weekend. Finally, Sunday afternoon:

quote:

I am so excited to have <BOY> in my class!!! I have already started planning some of my curriculum around him and a couple of my returning students from the summer. <BOY> likes to know why and how? He comes up with so many great ideas.

To respond to your question, I am not able to disclose that information at this time. I completely understand your concern as a parent. I do know every teacher works very hard to keep the children safe and the environment clean and well maintained. If you feel uncomfortable please let me and the admin know we want the best for your family. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know. Sorry for the late response. I am returning emails today. Happy Sunday!

What loving planet do these people live on where they think they don't owe the parents of the kids in their care basic transparency about whether they're vaccinated against a deadly virus in the midst of a loving global pandemic? I wrote 5 different responses and had to trash all of them because they were way over the line. I should point out here that responses from everyone so far had this "if you feel uncomfortable let us know" but all that means is that they're happy to offer us a full refund and wish us luck. That's not a realistic option.

So we spent the rest of the day in anguish, wondering if we're horrible parents to expose our kid to this risk. But we need him in school. He really needs school and he loves it there. I took the morning off to take him to school myself. I never responded to her email and when I walked him into class I just ignored her dumb rear end because there's nothing to say. After dropping him off, I went to the administrator and calmly explained that this is not going to work for us. We need him in a class with a teacher who can positively affirm their vaccination status. She again explains that she can't reveal information, etc. I'm actually proud of myself for not melting down here, but just calmly explained that I don't care and I'm not asking her to reveal anything about her goddamn staff. I am asking her to use her personal knowledge of her staff to figure out how to fix this situation. She has all the information needed to make these decisions, I don't need to know any further details. She said she'd see what she could do but there might be an opening. Great.

By that afternoon, we got confirmation that he'd switch to a different teacher. She was happy to tell me she's vaccinated. Turns out it's also a much better classroom for him anyway so it all worked out. But man, I'm shook. This school's admin is hiding behind the law to do the absolute bare minimum for safety. Then they hide behind poo poo like HIPAA, which they don't even loving understand, to claim they can't reveal information to which I'm entitled. All in the service of... what exactly? It'd be really nice if 98% of the preschools in every part of this country weren't run out of the back of churches because I'm really, really tired of people like this.

Once we were fully switched over, I chewed out the first teacher as politely as I could

quote:

Unfortunately, we had to transfer <BOY> to a different class. We were excited to join you for the Fall season but given that we're still in the midst of an ongoing pandemic, it felt highly irresponsible to expose him to unnecessary risk. You're aware of this by now, I think, but I wanted to be straight with you instead of relying upon innuendo.

On that note, your refusal to give us a straight answer on this subject was really disheartening. I did not ask you what personal reason you've conjured in choosing to remain unvaccinated, that's none of my business. The fact remains that you've made a personal choice that impacts the rest of us. The least you could do is have the courage of your convictions and be honest instead of playing coy with this absurd "I am not at liberty to disclose" nonsense. As a result, telling me you completely understood my concerns as a parent felt disingenuous at best. I hope you can do better for the next family.

Best of luck in Fall season,
negativeneil

She never responded. Oh and I never signed their loving liability waiver and they never remembered to ask for it. Competence!

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 17, 2021

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Arkanomen posted:

They get further apart but I've noticed that every big jump in development is preceeded by 1-3 days of bad sleep and being a cranky poo poo until finally giving up, sleeping for 12+ hours and then waking up the next day being the sweetest angel and capable of doing so many new things.

This pattern persisted for about 4 years straight with our first kid. It's wild how consistent it was.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Took my kids to the beach and when we left my 2 y/o said VERBATIM, unprovoked: "I have so much fun! You saved me, dad!" (from the waves when she got knocked over). It's things like that which make it worth it.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2022

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

Halloween candy has turned my 5yo into a huge loving rear end in a top hat and my 3yo just alternates between "my belly hurts" and "can I have candyyyyyy????" Every 15 min.