Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Wow, I had no idea we had a parenting thread. Do we do introductions here?? I have a 16 month old and a 4 month old and while we are still some ways off from them sharing a room, I'm curious as to the logistics of it. Anyone here have such experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Slaan posted:

Whelp, Baby #2 was started just 7 months after the 1st one came out. Gonna be interesting having an infant and a 1.5 year old at the same time...

My kids were born January 2019 and December 2019. It’s a hell of a ride but it’s very rewarding to see them being little friends with each other. They stay at home because of covid worries so it’s nice that they have each other to socialize with.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

any tips for helping a non-verbal toddler deal with covid? i ended up bringing it home a few days ago and despite our best efforts to isolate, our little guy got infected. right now we are making sure he gets fluids and liquid ibuprofen to keep his fever from getting too high. just wondering if there is more i can do :smith: its just really tough because he can't tell us how he's feeling, we just have to watch his body language and take our best guess. even between my wife and i, our symptoms were different so i'm not entirely sure what to expect in a little guy. it's his first time ever being sick too (not counting the effects of the vaccines) since he was born right before everything went into lockdown mode.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

one of mine insists on sleeping on the floor and the other sleeps half in/out on the bed. kids are funny

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Struggling really hard today. My son (he is on the spectrum) is 2 and is frustrated at times and will yell and scream and hit things. Today he was doing that and my MIL informed me that he will “have to be institutionalized because you clearly can’t handle him.” It led to a huge argument and it’s been like 5 hours and I’m still really really hurt over what she said. I can’t think of a more hosed up thing to say to someone who is doing their best to give their kid a chance at life…

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

This sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Your mil sounds awful

She really is. She’s a professional gaslighter with over 60 years of experience. Due to the pandemic we kind of got stuck living with her and she has been interfering with everything I do wrt the kids. Nothing I feed them is right, I feed them too much or too little, I take them outside too much or too little, I yell too much or don’t yell enough, and she has been training me for the past 3 years to believe that my emotions aren’t real and a figment of my imagination. Usually I can brush it off but that comment about my son hurt me in a way I haven’t been hurt before :smith: I feel like a failure to my kids for having moved them here with no way to get out yet.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 2 year old is also on the spectrum :respek:

Commentary from family or friends like that is frustrating as gently caress. It shows their ignorance on a bunch of different subjects like what the gently caress does "handle" even mean to lovely boomers?

You know what's best for your kid. She doesn't know poo poo. You are doing your best and she's unable to recognize that.

Prior to his birth she would say really ignorant poo poo like “autistic people don’t have feelings.” Now that her grandson has been diagnosed she decided that she’s an expert on everything autism. And yet she insists on interfering with his various therapies. He’s supposed to be starting an early intervention pre-k type of class next year and she is making me anxious as hell trying to talk me out of it, or trying to validate any fears I may have about it. It’s super frustrating because she cannot be reasoned or argued with. In fact, she has already decided that the big argument we had never happened. As far as she is concerned, I am mad at her for no reason other than my own mental illness. :(

As for the “handling,” she is really paranoid about the noises the kids make. My son especially is loud especially when he has a meltdown and she’s terrified that the neighbors will judge her (they don’t care obviously.) so yo her, handling your children is making sure they never make any noise and always behave. Good luck getting a 2 and 3 year old to do either of those things consistently.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My daughter is fully potty trained now and can use a public restroom, now we are trying to potty train our little ASD non verbal guy. I think we may need to try the picture exchange communication thing again (he had zero interest in using them previously) since that is the suggestion we have gotten from people. Just tough, he’s only 3 and a half but he’s built like a brick and if he doesn’t want to sit on the potty you absolutely cannot make him. Anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i live with my MIL and she has said similar things about our daughter, about her being manipulative because she does normal 4 year old things. its extremely frustrating. in my case, MIL is old enough that her mind is not as sharp as it used to be (which tbh was never great to begin) so having conversations with her about how telling our daughter that showing emotions is manipulative, and calling her negative things, often results in an old lady getting mad at people for ganging up on her and insisting that actually we are the hosed up ones because we are letting a 4 year old control us ("she has you wrapped around her finger!" is something that gets said often.) Our son is also non verbal ASD so you can only imagine the kind of hosed up opinions she has about that, for example: son has meltdown, goes back to normal almost immediately. MIL declares he must be some kind of psycho who will surely need to be institutionalized when he's older. I became furious and scolded her for saying something so incredibly hosed up, and i became the psycho who needs to be institutionalized for a while after that.

i could talk endlessly about my MIL and what a pain in the rear end she is and how she seems set on interfering with my parenting every step of the way but i wont. just wanted to say i know how you feel and it loving sucks. good luck with that conversation.

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My son brought something home from his kindergarten class, I think it's some kind of norovirus. I feel so bad for him, he is special needs and starting to find his voice so it was very upsetting to see him throwing up in the bathroom while saying WHY WHY STOP, though a part of me was relieved to hear him expressing how he felt as that used to be a thing he wasnt able, or didnt want to do. Thankfully he and my daughter seem to be through the worst of it but my wife and I have been making GBS threads and barfing all day. I really do love having kids, but the constant illnesses rampaging through my house is getting very old.

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2024