Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My five month old seems to love me more than my wife. He smiles with her, and she gets him to laugh more than I can, but when I get home from work he lights up like nothing else. This makes her very envious, and she's stressed because she's not used to being a housewife (she'll start substitute teaching again in the fall; I hope this doesn't mean a long summer). Any advice for encouraging my wife and helping her see the positive? I really hope he starts lighting up for her more and this isn't a "familiarity breeds contempt" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for all the responses, goons. I had a feeling I wasn't alone, and I'll try and keep cheering her up and helping her out. I think if he'd nap for more than twenty minutes when it's just Mrs. ISB and son, that'd be a huge help. Of course, she's out of the house now and he's snoozing away.

Hi_Bears posted:

My son definitely prefers me but he lights up when "daddy's home!" - my husband says that he's like the fun friend who comes around occasionally to play with our son, hence he's like a novelty. But if anything is actually wrong my son will cry to me and run to me for comfort. I bet the same is the case for your son, plus at 5 months you can't make any kind of judgments yet.

I actually find it to be a huge burden that my son prefers me - I can't get a break because it's always freaking "mommy's turn" to hold him/play with him/read to him - and I'm already with him all day! He also has no boundaries around me and gropes me aggressively: hands down the shirt, up the sleeve, up my shorts/dress, climbing all over me. So yea that probably doesn't make you wife feel a lot better, but just to say grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Yeah, my boy is quite handsy, too: Mom gets groped, I get my chest hair pulled out, we both get our glasses stolen. The kid's got an iron grip.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sab0921 posted:

I'm stuck in a weird world of American consumerism at the moment - first kid is on the way in about a month and we need a stroller. I exist in a weird bubble of well to do professionals and the recommendation people keep giving me is the Uppa Baby Vista - which costs more than $1000 with the accessories.

Am I insane or is that way too expensive for a drat stroller? It seems like the others do just fine - and so long as you can strap the car seat in there it seems fine - am I dooming my child to a life of mediocrity by getting a cheap stroller? Is that UppaBaby really worth it?

If I remember correctly, this is rated as "Best splurge stroller." My aunts and cousins all went in on it for my boy's shower. It handles well,the adjustable stroller height is great for me and my wife, I like the car conversion, and it has space to expand for a second kid. The biggest downside is the car seat traps all the heat my boy produces, which is a lot. For you, make sure you keep reading reviews and test strollers out in the store. In spite of my praise, I don't think I would have spent that much myself. If you can get an all-in-one setup for cheaper and you like it, go for it. More money for diapers and clothes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

femcastra posted:

Really looking forward to the lack of sleep ending. My little one is in the middle of leap 4/4 month sleep regression.

She has never been easy to get to sleep and she is back to waking several times a night.

My favourite thing about this is when I share this with other mums whose kids are older who say things like ‘oh my babies always were able to be put down drowsy and just went to sleep’. As if I’m doing something wrong and that’s why my kid doesn’t do that.

Honestly I love the parenting thing and haven’t found it boring except sleep training. Still early days yet. The hardest part for me so far is definitely sleep and having 4 mins to do anything.

My wife is in your shoes with the smug internet moms and the sleep deprivation. He sleeps through the night, but makes so many noises he keeps her up. I also have zero idea what allows me to put the boy down for more than twenty minutes for a nap, while she's praying for five minutes to shove food in her face.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

screech on the beach posted:

Get one of these. It’s the only thing my son with reflux will sleep/nap in. It’s a miracle for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...pA1L&ref=plSrch

:emptyquote:

My in laws had bought one and it kept my boy asleep at their house until he grew out of it. I miss it. I'm impressed he's having such restful sleep while every Yahoo shoots off now legal fireworks.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

WarpDogs posted:

We're going for quantity over quality with our ~4mo naps. He refuses - refuses - to sleep more than 30min. He goes down super easy without any rocking or nursing or anything. But after his (seemingly very short) sleep cycle is up he will fight to the death if you don't take him out of his crib. So we just try to put him down 3-4 times a day and work with what we get out of him. Seems to work, and definitely is far better for our sanity than forcing longer naps (our original method)

Regarding the sleep rollers, our little guy did the same thing and all we did was take it as a cue to ween away the swaddle. Maybe it was a coincidence but with his arms freed he settled into only rolling on his side - I know it's not as safe as back but whatever, makes me feel better

One thing they don't tell you about babies: they take tossing and turning to the most literal level. I can't even comprehend how they move so much during the night, but inevitably I'll wake up for the 6am diaper change and little dude is at the opposite end of the crib I put him down in facing backwards with both feet sticking through the crib slats. What?!

My boy broke out of his swaddle from day one. Now he rolls around like Curly in a Three Stooges short seven months later.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Alterian posted:

This was pretty much my story with my first. I think the stress of trying and failing at breastfeeding hosed me up mentally more than I realized at the time. I just had my second baby and did formula from the start. I have had a significantly different mental state this time. Its been super awesome that my husband can help out with every aspect of childcare. My son also enjoys being able to help feed the baby.

I really disliked how I felt the constant need to justify my decision to not attempt to breastfeed to everyone, especially at the hospital. I physically can't produce very much, so I have an "excuse", but it shouldn't matter. I'm always surprised by how many other woman who are 100% for female body autonomy still feel its ok to guilt about breastfeeding.

I'm happy to hear goons are fed is best folks. My wife is similar, she stopped trying to pump after a few tries because nothing came out after several hours. She knew going into it there was a chance she wouldn't produce, she has the support or our families and yet from time to time she still feels guilty. On top of that, my kid had been eating more than "suggested" since almost day one; he'd be nursing forever otherwise.

E: trying to shitpost when boy demands bedtime is tough

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ben Nevis posted:

For what it's worth the Seventh Generation diapers are the exact opposite.

I had a similar problem with honesty company. We've stuck with Pampers otherwise because we don't want to gamble that the other diapers will irritate my boy.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

bollig posted:

Hey this is just an update, but we are taking this as an opportunity to sleep train. That seems to be the solution to the 4 month sleep regression: teach self soothing.

Keep it up. My boy is 9 months and we've at least got him to understand the cues we are putting him down for a nap. It doesn't always work immediately, but the bathroom fan provides good white nose for whining. He'll cry through a sound proof booth however.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Spadoink posted:

Not just mommy bloggers, lots of random strangers had OPINIONS on how my daughter was fed.

:same:

My wife couldn't produce breast milk, knew that ran in her family, and still feels a little bit guilty that we formula feed. She still has Mommy hearing, so the last 10 months she'll wake up to new noises coming from the boy.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

What is RSV, anyway? My wife took our 6-week-old in to the doctor because he's had what sounds like a cold for a day or two, and the pediatrician sent them to the hospital for x-rays because she wanted to rule out about meningitis, pneumonia, and RSV.

I'm a goon doctor, but an internist not a pediatrician. It stands for respiratory syncytial virus and is one of the many lovely viruses that come out more in the winter. As with adults, supportive care (hydrate, make sure the kid is breathing, wash your hands around the sick, etc.) is the mainstay. It goes without saying, please call your pediatrician if you're worried and don't just trust someone who spent 10bux years ago.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
When you get a formula he likes, stick with it. Wait to try different formulas every couple of days if you're not comfortable with one. My boy is a Similac pro advance kid, though I thought he was good with Enfamil too. We tried pro sensitive for a while but I don't remember that making much of a difference. The FDA regulates all the formulas tightly. Use the checks you get in the mail at Costco to maximize your savings on brand names. And don't let anyone put into your head to import formula from Europe.

Sometimes we a simethicon gas drops to the formula and I've noticed it cuts down on the belching/spitting. It can constipate more, so pick your battles. As for poop, it's similar to breast exclusive babies posted above: totally random, but some color/texture differences.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

VorpalBunny posted:

I had WAY too many clothes, too many bibs, shoes, etc.

Good god, how I wished someone warned me that the clothes buying can get crazy. I'm going to vacuum seal most of it in case a second kid comes around, but I'm going to have a hefty Goodwill donation somewhere in the future.

Heners_UK posted:

Let me make this perfectly clear, I agree it is unnecessary import formula from Europe or anything similar, absolutely no need exists for that. That said I did just buy a pack of Hipp Stage 3 (for when my one turns 1), inc shipping from the UK for less than typical formula cost here (i.e. CAD$22 for 680g vs. about $30 for anything the same size here usually). Obviously, shipping time is a few weeks but we have been ordering Hipp, which has a scoop that can make it in single ounces/30ml (vs. typically 2oz scoops), and is our outright favourite, for no additional cost.

In the one formula feeding group my wife joined on Facebook, she takes pleasure in pointing out American mothers who get murdered on shipping costs for Hipp. She also notes their admins are pretty trigger happy when it comes to bans and locking threads.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My boy has slowly been working his way up the weight percentiles. I know kids have higher metabolism, but watching him put away food without spitting it all back up makes me wonder where it all goes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

Sometimes you just gotta wrestle with 'em. It's not much fun, but what can you do?

I tell my son "don't touch the poop." Works just as well as when you say it online.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hurray for my son "sleeping in" today. :toot:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Newf posted:

Any recommendations on a photo / video sharing service that:

1) is (exclusively?) supported by user-pay (no advertising / surveillance)
2) allows creation of multiple 'sharing groups' ( eg, group one = [bill, suzan, fred], group two = [ bill, suzan ] )
3) keeps media behind some form of login / authentication
4) integrates with android gallery's "share" function
5) (optional) allows comments on items

Some failed attempts:

Shoebox - fails #3 - hosts shared albums in the open at a "secret url". Also won't allow video upload via mobile data (mine is unlimited and I don't have a wifi option)
FamilyAlbum - Fails #1. I can't find any $ options in the app. Also fails #2, since it only allows "share with everyone" or "share with partner"

I use Dropbox, it hits most of your requirements except #4 (even then you can still upload from the app). I realize it's more for sharing files than family photos but it's passable for me.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Koivunen posted:

My first two weeks were awful, anxiety and baby blues wise. My baby was great, but I was an absolute mess. I didn’t get more than 45 min to 2 hours total of sleep for the first ten days because I was so anxious and couldn’t turn off my brain. I got to the point where I was crying constantly, mostly for no reason, I couldn’t think straight, and my hands were shaking. I got permission from my midwife to take a Unisom and chill out while my husband syringe fed her. I slept for three hours straight and felt like a totally new person. Slept again later that night and it was like pushing the reset button. Then I went on Zoloft and had permission to take a Xanax every now and then if I needed it. The Zoloft has helped tremendously. I honestly felt like I was going to have a complete breakdown and/or die at the two week point. Now we are five weeks in and things are going much, much better.

My wife is nearly 17 months in and realizing maybe she should have spoken up more about how she was feeling. She feeling a lot better now, it thankfully never incapacitated her, and has had a ton of family support. It might have just been baby blues, but the docs didn't really actively ask about it beyond the screening questionnaire that says "ON A SCALE OF 1-5, ARE YOU GOING TO KILL YOUR BABBY?"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My son's tantrums don't start until I pick him up to change his diaper. If his aim were better I'd be getting kicked in the balls every two hours.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

2DEG posted:

He's become a goddamn junkie for the dye-free children's Motrin (berry I think). Big ol' smile and a little dance when he sees that poo poo come out.

My boy spits out Motrin now, real helpful during his first viral illness :smith:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Groke posted:

My seven-year-old wants to be a youtuber.

Either that, or an inventor so he can make some robots to do everything for him so he never has to get up off the sofa again.

Encourage the latter, buy the boy an account. When he's ready for pure, uncut Internet of course.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

BadSamaritan posted:

How does a baby turn themselves around 180 in their bassinet while swaddled? I mean, my swaddles aren’t great but :confused:

She’s not rolling over yet, but I’ve got a feeling the swaddle days are limited.

My boy would flail his legs, even swaddled, with such force that I swore he'd flop out of the bassinet like a fish. The force would also rotate him around and he'd end up in all manner of positions.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

BadSamaritan posted:

The Infant Optics DXR is really good, and is frequently available as an open box deal on Amazon if you want to save like $70. It works throughout the house and doesn’t rely on wifi.

I think I ended up with some burnt out infrared bulbs after mine fell to the ground one time too many, but they were good about replacing the camera within the warranty period.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

life is killing me posted:

Sounds like desitin

E: Desitin/Sudocrem is okay for mild diaper rash but it does jack for rashes like I described a couple days ago. It took twice daily sitz baths with baking soda, and three times daily butt paste plus antibacterial ointment, antifungal ointment and cortisone to get it to partially healed after two days.

I have seen Boudreaux’s here but don’t know what it has in it.

E2: looks like Boudreaux’s is the same as desitin...

Desitin is petroleum jelly based, butt paste is Castor Oil based. My boy seems to like the butt paste better.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
We cut half formula/half Whole milk, there may have been 1:2 or 1:3 cut in there too. After a month or two of that it was milk from then out. I forget when we started giving him water, I think once we started consistently giving him solids.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

BadSamaritan posted:

I actually lucked into a really decent, sane, science-literate mommy group through The Bump, of all things. As far as pregnancy forums went they had pretty strict community standards and were happy to call woo out for what it was.

They’ve been really helpful for support and advice. Not to say there aren’t batshit groupthink groups out there, but if you can find a good one they can be really positive, especially if you don’t have many irl parent friends/relatives.

My wife recently became a mod in a woo free evidence based parenting group. She likes the group well enough, but forums drama... forums drama never changes.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Me, but with Puppy Dog Pals:
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1201912762353569792

Though they did have a Henry Winkler-voiced Santa jump and inflatable shark...poo poo.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

My wife and I are the same way and it's really tough to explain to folks that no, we don't want you to come here and babysit so we can go out, we want you to take our kiddo for a few hours so we can stay in!

Dual introvert household crew represent. Our nights are a Mexican standoff of who doesn't want to get off the couch first. Not looking forward to the next three months of Stir Crazy, as our 2yo has infinite energy and this generation's answer to Discovery Zone doesn't open near our house for several more months.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Day 2 of nap boycotting from our 21mo old. What a joy

:smith::hf::smith:

Day five from my 26-ish mo boy. At least he sleeps but man afternoons suck. The best is when he shits himself right as we think he's going to drift off for a nap.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Like, what the actual gently caress, kid. You exist to gently caress with my mind.
:same:

The wife is doing the homemaker deal because we'd lose money if she went back to teaching, and her mind is fried from the fuckery. Gonna be real fun doing a second shift for a week and not being able to help with bedtime, then transitioning to a toddler rail next week. Wheee....

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Advice for transitioning off the bottle? He’s 15 months old and he’s fine going without the bottle during the day because he’ll eat solids and water from his sippy cup, but it’s part of his bedtime ritual and is one of the only things that soothes him if he wakes up in the middle of the night. We’ve tried giving him a snack after his bath and he’ll gladly take a banana and some water but you put him down and he’s like “gently caress no where’s my 6 ounces of milk?”

He doesn’t like his sippy cup with anything but water in it. He’ll occasionally take a cup of water if we hold it for him but that’s it.

We used doc brown straw cups, as well as a transition nipple on the bottle. It took a little while but he got the hang of it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My boy finally napped :unsmith:

... only to stay up late and still get up early :smith:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Stay at home log day sqrt(-1)

Toddler has found YouTube kids. Suspect he will be radicalized by sundown.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My son seems to be getting over a phase where putting a shirt over his 2.5 year old head was equivalent to cracking his head like a walnut. Otherwise, holy poo poo inflatable pools take forever, he'll spend 0.01% of the time it took playing in it I bet.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Dad not doing (insert hobby here, his I think is rugby?) since the kids were born is the one that speaks to me.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Three hours of m-80's going off every minute and the boy is still asleep :911::hf::tootzzz:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

wizzardstaff posted:

+1 for the Munchkin 360 cups. They also make fine "regular" cups if you screw the top off.

If you use them for milk, the o rings get nasty after a few repeated uses.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Pennsylvania going "open 'er up" on Memorial Day, with the exception of the mask mandate. Makes my decision about kicking the can down the road for preschool for the 3.5 year old from the June enrollment date to the September date slightly easier. Wife is at home, but the boy seems to have max Endurance, in summary:

L0cke17 posted:

I am very very tired.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
My son discovered the Socratic Method this week. He stopped after question five so I'm counting that as a Father's Day gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

citybeatnik posted:

I raise you the Baby Shark movie.

Nickelodeon thinks we need Baby Shark the Series in TYOOL 2021.