Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Love to wake up to my almost 2-year-old digging in her dirty diaper. Sweetie, can we move the BM a couple hours later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

The “give them a choice” strategy only seems to work for us when it’s really a threat. “Do you want me to sing you to sleep, or put you in the crib and let you cry?” And it only really works if I’ve followed through on the threat before. Makes me feel like a real great dad, coercing my darling kiddo with threats.

It’s extra funny though when it falls flat. The other day I tried to get her to stop climbing on the table by threatening to put her in another room away from her toys. She opted for the other room.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Alterian posted:

My 8 year old likes to tell me about Minecraft. Kid, I've been playing that since before you were born.

It’s going to be weird when my kid gets to minecraft. “Kid, let me tell you how cows and chickens used to just spawn in the light!”

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Just freaked my toddler out by pretending to be a “broken robot” after having my “shutdown” and “turn on” buttons pressed too quickly. She did not like that Papa could be broken. Not. One. Bit.

Father of the year.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My kiddo just helped herself to a whole cheese danish from the groceries. She was helping unload them and dropped the danish container. She picked up a danish and was like, “WHAT IS THIS I JUST WON THE LOTTERY.”

So that’s what she had for dinner.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I just want to sing my kiddo’s praises and brag a bit about her. She sleeps like a champ. Recently she has decided that, when putting her down for the night, it’s totally cool for Papa to go downstairs and let her fall asleep on her own.

I still gotta sing “wheels on the bus” 5 (*precisely* 5) times while rubbing her back. But having an end in sight has been a tremendous quality of life improvement.

Gonna probably burn that all down when #2 comes along any second now.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Renegret posted:

Please stop making GBS threads in the bath.

Kiddo has done that 2, maybe three times? Each time she looks horrified that it happened. The first time she picked up one of the floating turds and tried to hand it to me while saying, “help, help, help”

It was gross but also really funny.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

There is a difference between teaching your kids that sometimes they deserve the consequences of their actions, and telling them it is ok to meet out consequences to others.

Fully functioning humans learn to do both in proportion, but a 2 1/2 year old is going to struggle with getting negative reactions, much less how to proportionately do that to others.

Like my 2 year old sometimes grabs the cat’s tail. We tell her no, but she also needs to learn that being swatted or hissed at by the cat means no too.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

After reading Cribsheet’s chapter on screen time, I’m pretty chill about screen time. There is literally zero evidence of any harm, and some evidence that high quality shows like sesame street actually help kids. All the studies that show any harm can’t distinguish between the effects of poverty and screen time, because poverty correlates with using a TV as a babysitter.

We do anywhere from no screen time to up to 2 ish hours a day. We stream Amazon shows or PBS kids, usually Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street. We also play some Switch games with her, like Zelda BOTW, Untitled Goose Game, or a coloringbook game.

We started a little after 18 months and Kiddo gets a lot out of it. She knows her numbers, her letters, and all sorts of things from TV.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

KirbyKhan posted:

Same and same. My main concern when kids don't learn about what these magical black mirrors mommy and daddy has. My sister placated my nephew with the cell phone, but she always set it up for him. So now he's like 15 and he doesn't know the button presses to install TikTok and that's big a problem.

I’m with you on this. Technology is big part of our culture and it’s good parenting to teach fluency in technology usage.

That’s why I’m installing Gentoo on all our devices. Kids make that work, they’ll be employed for a lot of money.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

life is killing me posted:

Definitely his pediatrician when his 3yr well check comes up in a month and a half.

He’s been growing a lot but he also seems to need nothing when we go in and goes right back to sleep, so seems somewhat incapable of returning to sleep by himself on the face of it. Sometimes he wants water which we’ve been limiting at night trying to get him out of night pullups. He seems to really want to sleep in our bed which we aren’t letting him do, but he got one inch a few times and now wants that mile.

Could be a myriad of things, but in my non-expert opinion a three year-old shouldn’t be waking multiple times a night for months on end with few breaks of sleeping all night. At this rate it’s once a week or less he sleeps all night and/or doesn’t try to come to our room, and we need sleep badly. The problem is he isn’t able to articulate what he needs, especially at night when he’s half-asleep. We’ve tried his favorite stuffed animals, talking to him during day and at bedtime about sleeping, we’ve kept his same routine with few exceptions. He knows what the light colors mean and what he’s supposed to do or not do, he just doesn’t do it like ever. So at this point we are at a loss and our brain power is hampered to really try to figure out what the deal is after being awakened at least twice 95% of the nights. It feels like we are going to go right into baby #2 without having had sleep through the night for months and he will probably be coming into our room at night and waking the baby also, so my outlook isn’t rosy at the moment

Ok, this may have been mentioned already so sorry if it’s a dead end, but have you played around with the color and intensity of the lights in his room?

Blue light wakes people up, and for some misbegotten reason every goddamn appliance has bright blue or blue saturated white lights on it. We took light-dimming stickers and covered every blue or white light we could find in our room and kiddo’s.

It sounds silly, but blue LEDs on a humidifier once totally ruined my sleep for a couple weeks before we covered it in tape.

Entirely separately, white-noise machines are magic.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Re: tantrums

The thing I found that works with my kiddo and tantrums is to be calm, do deep meditative breathing while saying “breath in, breath out”, and ask her questions about what she wants.

The breathing and questions are super powerful with her. The deep breathing worked when she was really young too. It’s at the point now that if she’s upset, she’ll usually want to breath with me to calm down.

I find that if I repeat back what she wants and ask her to confirm that I heard her right really calms her down. I don’t always give her what she wants, but I think by making her feel heard it takes some of the righteous anger away.

She’s not even 2, but she definitely understands some really complex explanations and is visibly comforted by getting them.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

hooah posted:

Looking for some advice for our daughter, who we're apparently raising to be an outspoken racist? She's 5.5. We recently moved from San Antonio, where her daycare had decent diversity, to Georgia, where it's less good (although not 100% white). Last weekend we had a guy over to do some yard work, and it's fairly clear English is not his first language. He told my wife twice that our daughter told him that he doesn't understand her that well.

Then this weekend, they're staying at my in-laws', and they're out for a walk in the woods and a black guy comes jogging up the path towards them. My daughter says "There's a black guy coming!". My mother-in-law said "Yes, we see him." "Ok, I just thought I should warn you."

We're of course far from perfect, both growing up white in America, but we thought we've been doing a decent job of raising her to be aware of race, but that it's differences between people that should be celebrated, not that differences are negative. We try to consciously ensure her books are diverse, and we try to make a point of discussing the races of the characters at times. We've also started pointing out some things that are racist in culture.

How should we approach this particular incident, and what kinds of things can we do going forward?

It’s a hard thing to get right. I wonder if spending so much effort talking about racial characteristics enforced that it was something important to pay attention to. So it was maybe a difference she was primed to see and just wanted to let you know about?

I’d start by asking her why she felt like warning your MIL that a black guy was coming. It’s likely just an innocent thing that you can let pass. But if she’s getting that behavior modeled for her then you need to nip it in the bud.

My plan for dealing with diversity was to have it present in books and media, but to not point it out for my kids. Treat it like something unremarkable and let them ask about it. We’ll see how that goes.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My toddler saw a little kid’s birthday party for the first time. She was ALL ABOUT IT and was upset that we weren’t invited and had to leave.

You know I came to party
Baby baby baby baby
I’m gonna leave this party
With somebody’s ukulele

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

nachos posted:

The sleep regression continues for this insane 16 month old child. For the last week she hasn't slept more than 30 minutes during the day and cries anywhere between 1-3 hours at night before finally passing out.

That age was tough. I think that’s when our kid consolidated to one nap. At night it took sometimes up to 45 minutes of singing and back rubs to get her to sleep without crying. And she’s a good sleeper.

Sea shanties are the way to go. Lots of verses and they are easy to sing.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Hadlock posted:

At what point should baby be eating solid food without it being a massive struggle

Right now baby is coming up on 6 months and resists sweet potato puree to the point that we're worried about giving her feeding aversion

But we were out on the patio the other day having mojitos, and she just couldn't stuff enough of the mint sprigs in her mouth (but not eat them)

We embraced the “food before 1 is just for fun” mantra with our first. We showed her food, let her play with it and get messy. No expectation that she’d be getting any real calories. It was just an activity. We loosely followed “baby led feeding” , mostly to pick a variety of age appropriate foods to play with.

By about 12 months, she was getting most of her calories from solid foods. It was kinda gradual and very low stress that way.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My not even 2 year old climbed a jungle gym that went over MY head. My heart was in my throat, but also good job kiddo.

Mobility is freaking scary.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Hadlock posted:

Dropped our kiddo off at sister in law's house, she feed Hadlock Jr. some sort of apple sauce berry thing in a squeeze packet. So I went to the store and bought some more

Kid went from no solid foods, to eating all sorts of non milk foods in about two weeks

Oh yeah, those pouches were a staple for us for like 9ish months. Super convenient. Super expensive.

We also got some reusable ones that you can put yogurt, applesauce, or homemade purées if you’re into that kinda thing. Our 2 year-old has basically stopped eating from pouches except for yogurt.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

nachos posted:

It hasn’t been this hard since the newborn days.

That’s a logarithmic scale. Going back to the newborn stage is harder the second time. The only solace is that you know it gets better.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m looking forward to when my baby is old enough that he doesn’t yell about the farting/pooping experience. Every. Morning. At 4:30.

:same:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

redreader posted:

Our son got into my wife's nail polish and my wife sorted it out because it was her turn to do early kids this morning. I was quite impressed with how he'd only got it on himself, until she pointed out that there's a patch on the carpet and it's impossible to get out. I'm sure the landlord will be fine with it.

My go-to chemical for this would be methyl acetate. It is compatible with nylon and a lot of plastics, but can still dissolve most nail polishes. It’s also pretty benign, health-wise.

Isopropanol isn’t likely to work, but is harmless to try. Methyl isobutylketone (MIBK) is good one to try too. It’s a ketone like acetone but a less good solvent, which may save your carpet.

If those don’t work, you can try methylene chloride or chloroform. That poo poo is toxic, so wear a chrmical rated respirator and use a fan to blow it out a window.

Mineral spirts / toluene/ xylenes will just stain your carpet and won’t pick up nail polish.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

L0cke17 posted:

We are in so much trouble.

Kiddo has learned to climb on chairs to get at things on tables he wants.

Kiddo has also learned to move chairs around.

We are 1 connected thought away from "I can move chairs to get onto tables or over baby gates".

He isn't even a year old yet.

Good kiddo.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

TFW your toddler misses your cornea by the skin of your blink reflex.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

God I hope I get a job at Lockheed because I’ve heard good things about the health insurance benefits offered there. UHC is poo poo.

I’m a current LM employee and I have some bad news for you. The insurance is only good if you are in one of the major offices. Dallas and Orlando are probably ok, but satellite offices have fairly poo poo insurance.

I’m on my partner’s insurance. Hospital network insurance is the way to go. Just had hernia surgery, $0 out of pocket. Paid nothing out of pocket of either kid.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

nwin posted:

I don’t think either hospital told us how much to feed the kids except to feed every 2-3 hours. In the hospital they had us use these little 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and the lactation consultants and nurses were saying how good we’re doing and how much my wife was producing. We just assumed it would be only a little more the first night. I think we should have been doing 1-2 ounces a feeding instead maybe? Right now on day 5 he’s between 2-3 ounces a feeding every 3 hours. If I remember right the goal is 24 oz a day.

We had to supplement with formula for #2’s first night of cluster feeding. Wife was just beat dead tired and couldn’t. The nurse was super great and tried really hard to reassure us that formula use is ok and “fed is best.”

She gave use these bottles of pre-mixed formula and was like “try and get him to eat 15 mL.” Little guy downed 35 mL and fell into a food coma.

I think there is wide variance in what infants need to eat.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

nwin posted:

Edit: reading further on this, he may not be ready to transition and doing it now with a new sibling is a horrible time to switch him up.

Not sure how we can make it so he stops pushing against us while holding him. Maybe I just need advice on how to just go from reading stories to putting him
In the bed and leaving?

I know this is a few pages back, but I have some advice for this. I used to rub my kids back in the crib and sing until she fell asleep. But she started just staying awake for like 45 minutes to an hour. It was getting untenable.

What I did was tell her that we were going to do things differently. She’s big now, so we’re going to do 5 songs and then I need to go downstairs. I brought it up all evening, over and over. Then I just did exactly that. She fell asleep like immediately after I left the room. In retrospect, I think I was actually keeping her awake.

So so my advice is to pick how you want the evening routine to look and talk to them about it. Then do it. You might be surprised how well they handle the change.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

They are literal bullseyes on your mothers chest and she is pointing them right at you little buddy.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Re: calming yourself down

I personally find breath control to be the best way to calm myself down. I take a deep breath in through the nose and exhale through my mouth while focusing on my core. I learned it from karate where it’s in literally every kata and I’ve used it to maintain my focus in fights, fires, and toddler tantrums.

The mind follows the body. Make your body be still and calm and your mind will follow.

I find it is really effective to tell my kiddo that I’m doing breathing and invite her to join. I’ll sit and breath in and out with her three times, and things will often reset or have the volume dialed down.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Teaching my 2 year old daughter that the clicking sound before a motion activated light turns on is a relay switching. She’s been really into the word “relay” and listening for the clicks when we sneak up on lights on our nightly walk.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Seriously, is there any way for us to help tangibly? Food? Hire you an au pair? A hitman?

The father owes you support. If he has noped out, he needs to pay to fill the labor gap. Sorry, I get really riled when I think of your situation. It was hard enough managing a toddler and a newborn between me, my wife and my MIL. I can’t imagine doing it solo.

Make a go fund me and I’m there.

Edit: Thought I was quoting Koivunen, hope it was obvious in context.

Dobbs_Head fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 19, 2021

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

KirbyKhan posted:

I am committed to not giving in to hug and hold terrorism. Son has exhibited the first desires to be held over the past week.

Dude… wtf?

Being cuddled is a primary need for a 4 month old. You can’t spoil a baby. They aren’t reasoning in a social dimension. He just needs cuddles and is crying because his need isn’t being met by a caregiver.

Unless you are trying to sleep train, cuddle your kid.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Our toddler had her first full week of daycare, which resulted in her being sick all weekend with a fever and a sore throat. Overall, it wasn’t so bad. But she’s refusing to swallow her saliva because her throat hurt, which is super gross.

She also peed on the floor twice because she wasn’t getting enough attention. I’m so sick of cleaning bodily fluids.

I have such a hard time with the attention peeing because it always happens when we are super busy trying to get food ready / clean / feed her brother / etc. and it’s just her making us stop and deal with her. It doesn’t matter how much attention we were paying her before.

It particularly pisses me off when I just played with her for over an hour and sat her on the potty 5 minutes before and NOW, when I need to plate food and change her brother, she decides to take a loving piss on the floor. My impulse is to get upset, but I know that just rewards her by giving her a reaction.

We’re having some success with stickers rewarding her for good pees/poos, though.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I’m so proud of my 2 year old. She’s going through a developmental phase where she gets really emotionally invested in getting things she wants and has a bunch of small tantrums. Thing is, she clearly doesn’t like being that upset.

Today she got upset about how we were playing. In the middle of her tantrum she said, “papa, pick me up to calm down.” I picked her up, she cuddled and calmed down, and we went back to playing.

I know adults who lack that emotional self-awareness.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I’m just reading your post and I can’t process it. I can’t imagine how you feel.

gently caress

Edit: this was re: koivunen.

Dobbs_Head fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 28, 2021

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

hellotoothpaste posted:

Got a 2 year old lil guy, currently says ‘yeah’ a lot in response to things that sound like questions, seems to have a vocabulary of a few of his own words he will use to identify things he wants, wants to do, doesn’t want to do etc.

Anyone have some tips on where I should look for resources on how to help him build out speech, whether I even should right now, or when it’s time to consider a speech therapist? Not to sound helicoptery or anything, it’s just really something that snuck on my radar once he started vocalizing so much and want to help if/when necessary.

I can say what I did with my kid, ymmv. She’s 2 and has a pretty good command of language.

I stopped doing things for her unless she said what she wanted. I’d make a big space in the conversation where I’d tell her I didn’t understand (even if I could guess) and asked her to say what she wanted. I avoid leading questions and sometimes did things she didn’t want me to in order to agitate her into talking. I also made clear attempts to listen to her and repeat back what I thought she said to make her confirm it. (I swear that active listening has stopped a lot of tantrum)

I was pretty generous about what counted. She still says “haaa” for yes and “natow” for “yellow”. But the strategy was to make her use language to get what she wanted, and then reward every success.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

:murder:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

TV Zombie posted:

Agreeing with the post. The husband is a jerk. I didn’t mean the poster is a jerk.

:moonrio:

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Slaan posted:

In less depressing news, my baby is getting discharged from the NICU after 2.5 weeks. No more ventilators, feeding tubes, antibiotics or anything else needed. Just normal baby stuff for a normal healthy baby :wooper:

I’m so glad that worked out.

Hopefully once all that stress is behind you infant care will feel like a breeze!

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I, a grown man, am about to cry on a loving plane

Power move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I’ve been on paternity leave for the past few weeks and I am starting to burn out doing childcare all day, every day.

Infant care is just so goddamn boring. And if it isn’t infant care, it’s toddler care which is more engaging but also more aggravating. Down time is hard to come by and I need to trade sleep to get it. Either that or I feel like I’m shirking household chores.

I just want to go back to work.