Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
What's up "rough night" buddy? I also had a rough night last night. Bubs is 11 weeks and must be about to have another growth spurt and so was up about every hour to eat. That's not the rough part, I can handle that fine. The rough part was coming downstairs to prepare some auxiliary formula and discovering the dog had had diarrhea'd in a perfect circle on the carpet. I admit, I cried a little. But I got it cleaned up and baby fed and back to bed. He took a massive poo yesterday after three days of only wet diapers so I shouldn't have to clean any poo diapers today, which is nice! And since it's a bath day, and he sleeps so so well on bath days, hopefully I'll get a straight 4 hours tonight. Pray for me, goons.

Pray that this little monster slumbers peacefully tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Ugh.

My daughter (2 years old and change) locked herself in her room. The doors are old as poo poo, and lock with a push button. There's a little hole you can push a pin in to unlock them, so I wasn't concerned.

Turns out... these doors are old as balls and the mechanism to unlock from the outside was broken.

She thought it was hilarious at first. After I had spent fifteen minutes or so fiddling with it with various tools, she started to get nervous.

After five more minutes or so, with me talking to her to try to keep her amused, she starts freaking out.

She didn't understand what was going on. She kept pleading with us to open the door. "Dad, open the door. Dad, pick up MyName. Dad! Pick up MyName!". She had gotten so upset. So I got a crowbar and just destroyed the door knob. The noise made her freak out even harder, but at least it didn't take long to open the door after that.

I must have gotten a huge spike of adrenaline, because the rest of the day I was extremely tired, sluggish, and my arms felt weak.

Feel bad man. She wasn't in any danger, her room is kidproof, but she just didn't understand what was going on, and she was terrified. My kid being scared and me being unable to come to her help is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

If any of the doors in your house lock, and you have a toddler, please, make sure that you can open them from the outside without resorting to a crowbar. Actually test each door in your house to make sure the unlocking actually works. :(

My mother has a similar story about me in the laundry room. I locked myself in somehow, and in that room there is bleach, detergent, bug spray, glue, all sorts of fun substances. She ended up breaking the door to get to me. She said I was calm and she was the one getting emotional. The laundry room had a very elaborate kid- proofing after that.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I use boudreaux butt paste and it works fast and well.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
50/50 breast and bottle here too. Also Kirkland. Love having the best of both worlds. We are very lucky he has 0 digestion problems for the moment. He is eating right now actually, he's got that sleeping while eating thing going on now which means I will be able to get some stuff done around the house today.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Crazyweasel posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice earlier on milestones. His looking / smiling / cooing is definitely on point now, and we are trying to find some tummy time alternatives that still let him work on his neck strength, but I’m feeling better on that front

We just are at the end of physical therapy for my 4 month old's torticollis (a common neck muscle disorder) of which tummy time played a huge part in due to a muscle at the back of the head that rounds the skull naturally if it is activated. He HATES tummy time, only tolerated it for about 5 minutes until he's purple in the face mad about it. Our PT told us that as long as the baby is at at least a 45 degree angle then that muscle is working and so are his neck muscles, so we kept that in mind while holding him and he has completely recovered from his torticollis and his head is nice and round!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Have you ever spread peanut butter over a toaster waffle and then put syrup on it? VERY NICE

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Anyway, my baby's butler wants to spend Thanksgiving with his family. Anyone have any resources to find help with guaranteed no family?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Our 6 month old got a toy laptop from a family friend and he loves this laptop so much. It makes noises and lights up and even though he has other toys that do that he will spend over an hour at a time everyday playing with it.

I'm raising a goon.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Why is it that every single morning, without fail, five minutes into feeding bubs breakfast I need to take an immediate and present poo poo?

Doesn't matter the time, doesn't matter how I feel prior. It's like clockwork and I am so tired.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

Ahhh molars. Our nights currently remind me of the sweet, hazy, totally sleep deprived newborn days.

This is currently me. Saturday was the start of it. Woke up 5am refused a nap even though it's usually 3x a day, went to bed at 8. Then woke up every couple of hours screaming. That continued to last night.

Oh and my partner went out town till Friday... I am a zombie.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I can't imagine having more than one kid. Pregnancy sucked! Giving birth SUCKED! I love my kid but when I am so sleep deprived and he just won't stop fussing I want to cry and that sucks!

My sister has 2 kids two years apart and she has told me stories of the worst days and... I do not have the strength for that. There is no way. My grandma had 5 kids. She has dementia now. Her husband was an alcoholic. They are the lucky ones.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
We took the kid on a plane over Christmas and he was great, absolutely perfect until 30 minutes before landing he starts a tantrum. He's 6 months old then so at least he couldn't punch and kick but at one point he screamed so loud and angry that I looked over at our seatmate and he was this young guy and he had this look on his face that said "I am never having kids". That tantrum lasted less than 2 minutes but it was extremely loud and incredibly close.

On the way back he was great again, no crying. We land and are waiting to de-board and I stand him up on my lap, all proud of him and he looks at me and smiles as a huge stream of spit up gushes from his mouth.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Between Corona and little guy turning 10 months old soon and not yet crawling, my anxiety has been peaking this week. I've always been able to regulate it fairly well, but I keep welling up with tears and my mind floods with irrational and depressive questions.

Questions like, did switching to formula at 5 months delay his development? Should I put him in daycare so he can see other babies crawling? Is he now more at risk for infection because he hasn't had the exposure to other people to build up his immunity? Can he sense that Im stressed out and is that ruining his self confidence? Do babies even have self confidence? Should I take him to that doctor's appointment next week? And on and on and on.

Normally my mind is clear and relaxed, I hate this. It reminds me of when I used to do coke but far less fun.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Oh I know he is fine. That was an example of anxiety fueled questions. I realize that there is no rationality there. I know that formula fed babies are completely normal and on par with their breastfed peers.

He is moving a lot! He turns over, he can scoot around in a circle, he can even go backwards! It's just forward locomotion is coming slowly (it feels). He could flip onto his back since he was 3 months, I really just thought he would be crawling by now but i've heard a lot of things like boys develop slower physically, babies sleep on their backs now and that leads to a lot of babies skipping crawling completely, crawling can start as late as 10 months, etc.

If the coronavirus wasn't happening I doubt I would have these little episodes. A lot of my anxiety is from seeing how my country collapses under the slightest pressure and how no one in charge really seems to give a poo poo.

Anyway, I feel better since I posted that original post. Having a fantastic, supportive partner and this space where I can express myself without fearing judgement is really great! Thanks to you all in here.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Charming movies/shows for little kids that seems not a lot of people know about :

Netflix- Klaus, Raising Dion

Hulu- Over the Garden Wall

Prime- Ronja: The Robber's Daughter

That's only a few, so if you know some lesser known titles let me know!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I have an 11 month old and I have no idea how you toddler-havers are doing it. I have one small baby and I'm exhausted! He is getting so bored of his toys and me and the house I can really tell he misses the park and baby hour at the library. Now it's just wake up, breakfast, try to make it to first nap without breakdown. Wake up, go outside if it's nice, lunch and then GOOD LUCK. He has been fighting afternoon nap to hard lately. I just don't think his brain is being stimulated enough so he doesn't need the break so he's bored and tired and hates everything.

The past two weeks have featured Little Baby Bum in chunks of time just so I can clean things, prepare meals, and go to the bathroom. Thank god for those creepy doll people and their nursery rhymes, he just stares at the tv, totally transfixed while it is on. It makes me feel a bit bad, but it's better than him freaking out while I have to leave the room for a couple of minutes. I honestly need the break from him too. His development is exploding rn and he is a handful, he can't crawl yet but he is a drat handful.

Also his first two teeth are coming in at the same time! So.... it's been a real treat here.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
So I had a large family, three sisters, and a close extended family with 18 cousins around my age and then about 6 more younger cousins. Family is a beautiful thing, most of the time, and i had a great childhood, but i have had my one kid and that's where I am stopping. I had to take care of a lot of young children when I was a kid and I think I got my fill!

I am only 30 so it miiiight change, but after seeing parents raising young children two or three at a time so many times in my life I am very happy with saying that's all. Maybe in like ten years I'll give it another go, but honestly I bet that won't happen. I'm sure it's all worth it to see them play together but I just don't want to deal with the rest of it at all. More power to those that do.

I also hated being pregnant and giving birth. So doing it all over again would be torture. Maybe if I get really rich I'll have a surrogate and a nanny and I can see the children an hour a day and really live the dream.

Husband also came from a large family and has bitter feelings about always being a bit neglected. He doesn't talk to his brothers really. But they are Trump supporters so ya know.

Anyway, other goons, please keep procreating, we must outstrip the Mormons at all costs.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

Extremelty vivid dreams where you watch your child drown and can do nothing to stop it is something noone warns you about before you have kids.

Ugh yeah my stress dreams are out of control especially since the pandemic hit.

His 1st bday is in two weeks and my mom is for some reason set on making me feel terrible about the fact we are quarantining during it. I didn't plan this, mom! Maybe try loving off a bit and see if that makes you feel any better?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Renegret posted:

"AHHHHH THAT'S WEIRD"

I hate having my belly button touched and he gets deep in there if I'm not expecting it.

He does the same thing to my nipples. Kid just loves pushing buttons.

Put a shirt on, my guy.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I just used tape to secure the edges. Not a lot of tape, just a strip of double sided tape. You can't even tell it is taped when you look at it and it was super easy to do.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Remind him that he will be able to run and play very soon! Collecting cast signatures from his actions figures and stuffed animals could be a fun time.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Minivans are super cool! Do what my parents did and give your kid the minivan for their high school car (after totalling the honda). It's got a great sound system, can fit all of your stupid friends, cops don't even see minivans, perfect for hot boxing, take out the seats in the back and it's basically a studio apartment, great for tailgating and drive-in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
It's absolutely fine to get a minivan with minimun 0 kids if you want to. You can fit so much poo poo in them it's insane. They have hybrid ones too if that's your bugaboo about them, soon it will be battery powered. After that the singularity happens and you can become one with your mvan.