Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey all, glad I found this thread, just wanted to say anyone going nuts with a baby is that it sucks so much and you get more tired than you ever have before in your life and you just want to break down and cry but after the baby stage you will look back and say holy poo poo that is all a blur and it went by so quick looking back. I think this is an evolutionary trick our brains play because otherwise we would never have more than one.

My youngest is just transitioning to full on toddler stage and we really are done so I’m already missing the baby stage a little.

For a funny anecdote I was setting up one of those water table toy things yesterday with the kids all waiting for it. My middle child, who is the sweetest most empathetic person I’ve ever known was offering words of encouragement. Once it was done she says “good job daddy, you did great.. but you could have been much faster”. She’s gonna be a manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Our area has had a real decline in the number of active cases and overall we have had a very low rate of deaths and infections so I feel pretty comfortable letting my 8 year old go back to school for 2 days a week. They’re doing half the class 2 days, wed off then the other half. And really it’ll be less because some kids are not going back.

My son has become very conscientious about social distancing and hand washing so he’ll be a good example for the other kids to follow. The remote learning just hasn’t really been cutting it mostly because the teacher is utterly hopeless at technology.

It’s a sucky situation and whatever someone’s risk tolerances they are comfortable with is the important thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The flip side is often when they start talking they will literally never stop, it’s goddamn exhausting. So enjoy it while it lasts! :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I miss a couple hobbies but at least I can still get some gaming in between their bedtime and mine after feeding/walking the pets, taking out the trash, doing the laundry, getting lunches ready for tomorrow.. gotta make that 30 minutes of gaming count!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A lot of times when the battery dies in a toy that is especially loud/annoying we say “oh it’s broken now” and either put it away to bring out later or donate it. Good way to get rid of really annoying noisy toys.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 5 year old is still in nighttime pullups but we suspect her peeing in them is after she wakes up in the morning and is just too lazy to get up and use the toilet :effort:

So we’re gonna try no pull ups and have extra sheets ready for a bit..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Oh my god Bluey is so amazing. Thanks for the reco. My kids aren't all in yet but I love it.

Yeah same my kids are definitely in on it now, it’s great.

The one in the park where the dad is hanging back and letting all the various kids figure out how to do things on their own is pretty :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gvibes posted:

Well, one of my 19 month olds took his diaper off while staring my wife down, squatted, and shat on the floor while laughing. How is your day?

A born shitposter sounds like

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Life goal is to be more like Bluey’s dad imo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Disney+ is the main place I believe (outside of Australia)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

How are the 5-yo’s poops? We had similar incontinence issues with ours and it was because she was a bit backed up and her colon was full and pushing on her bladder. Some PEG laxative got things moving and we give her some fibre in a drink to keep things going and she seems much better.

We saw a paediatrician to find this out and she said it’s very common.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

My 3 y/o spent a long time on the potty this morning. She then called, full of pride, "Dad! Look at my giant poop!". The poop was indeed extraordinarily huge. My completely honest reaction was, "Wow! That is a huge poop!". If I had pooped a turd of the same relative size it would have been the size of a soccer ball. It was incredible.

That is my parenting story for today

Me personally I have never clogged a toilet but my 3 year old used to do it all the time, I could never figure it out. We had to keep a pack of disposable take out chopsticks handy to break up the poops before they would jam up the works. Otherwise it was a goddamn disaster.

Parenting is glamorous af!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just discovered the 5 year old has been getting up and taking off her peed overnight pullups and hiding them in the closet and putting on a fresh pair. I had no idea she was that devious, I’m kind of impressed tbh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a baby camera/monitor? Preferably ones with smartphone integration. Our twins are 5 months old and we’ll be moving them to their own room for overnight sleep soon. I’ve read a bunch of reviews and a lot of the products are hit or miss so I’m looking for a goon recommended one.

I would personally go for something like a nest or logitech that isn’t just baby cam marketed, I had a lorex one of those that was the worst goddamn trash.

I have a pair of logitech circles and used to have one pointed at the crib and it worked great, has a microphone/speaker and IR, integrates into homekit etc. I think they may be discontinued but I hear the nest is good too.

Bonus is when you don’t need the babycam anymore you can move it elsewhere.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Had my extremely aggro 2 year old daughter try to bite me hard when I was taking her out of the tub and I gave a big “OW!!! Owwwwwwwwww! No biting!” And she then went on the offensive trying to claw at my eyes while shrieking at 140dB? Possible devil child? :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Our 13 month hold bit my wife's nipple... my wife chastised him and he immediately threw a huge boob-strike-tantrum for like 2 hours. Went to sleep for two hours... woke up still in mid tantrum! At first we thought something might actually be wrong except he was perfect just before he got chastised. I thought "Moana always brings him to attention... lets see if that works." Worked like a charm at 4 in the morning. He was fine the next day. Kids are assholes.

Yeah I just told her “no biting” again while putting on her diaper then let her cool off a little in the crib in her favourite snuggly blanket and within 5 minutes of me puttering around tidying up her room she quietly said “sorry daddy” like she really meant it and I went and played with her for a bit while she was chilling before milk time. She’s alright just gotta know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now work out the relative size of that dump if it was from a fully grown human!

My 3 year old would clog the toilet on the reg, something I have never done as a large adult.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 2 yearold seems to have a habit of fake-sneezing at other kids she is mildly annoyed at which is kind of mortifying in these challenging times :eek:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hadlock posted:

:golfclap:

Are you gonna buy them an account next

No way man I don’t want to get (more) cyberbullied! :haw:

Between not having anyone nearby with similar age kid and her probably going to have a later preschool start now we’re a bit concerned about her social skills with other kids her age. She just brutalizes her older sister despite our best efforts (but then also sticks up for her and protects her when she feels her sister is in trouble, it’s weird). She’s alpha as heck, totally unlike her siblings. Youngest child syndrome!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Imagine getting humiliated and dunked on, and then finding out it was your own kid.

Patton Oswalt had a bit on this how his greatest fear would be to have a jock kid who would call him a big nerd and throw his replica sword(s) on the roof. My wife actually references it frequently how I already get owned by my 2 year old girl :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So my kids like this Abby Hatcher show and I catch a glimpse of her watch aka “fuzzly spotter”

That’s a goatse snuck in there right

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Just wanted to post a reminder that it is important to make sure your car seats are installed properly. Safety first!!!

*camera pans over to kid wedged in footwell*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

I know I can Google it, but what is the forward-facing age?

“Delayed as long as possible” is what I’ve always been told. Depends on the weight and height more than age, and is only when it’s basically impossible to fit comfortably in rear facing. Each jurisdiction has their own official guidelines if you want to go by those and they probably have some small differences.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah I just did some research and it looks like the advice is "until you can't" which for the seat we have means 7 more pounds or a few more inches in height.

Yeah some kids are long and light and others short and heavy so it could be one or the other limit gets hit first. All our kids still were well below the weight limit but the leg positions were basically impossible at a certain point.

Then forward seat is usually good to 65lb but we usually outgrow it in height first too and get a booster with a back and 5 point that can convert to seatbelt. That’ll be good til practically the tween years!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup and so much of the baby equipment is totally superfluous. I think it was my sister who told me the wipes warmer would only ever be bought by someone who has never actually had a kid, either for the first or for a baby shower.

And it’s true, all the baby shower gifts from people who already had kids were the more useful things, stuff like more small blankets or clothes and not gizmos or toys (which can be incredibly hit or miss and they don’t even care about them before 3 months anyway).

If it has batteries it will either be useless or annoying (or both). (Not including baby monitor handsets)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I’m tall too and it really sucks, we had enough space between kids that they were already in the forward facing but even with forward facing behind my seat I have to put it forward to a less than comfortable spot.

I will be so happy when I can ditch all the carseats and booster seats in.. 10 years or so :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Having 3 kids now makes me wish we did get a minivan, the extra seats and sliding doors would be so useful. I have a 7 seater crossover and the far back seats are fine for kids in a booster but still a huge pain to get to especially with a carseat on the rear passenger side, the only side that flips forward. The oldest will now scramble in through the rear liftgate as the 3rd row splits, and he likes having a nice row to himself. But it’s not really convenient.

Hoping there are good options for plugin electric minivans when I need to get something new in 3-4 years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Minivans may not be cool but they are good. Of course my wife drives the minivan on a daily basis and I have a much more fun RWD car to drive so I don’t have much to complain about. There’s no way I can fit all three carseats/boosters in the back of mine but if there’s a scenario where I need to drive them all we just swap cars.

The 8 person capacity will be handy when we get to the point of bringing friends along places or whatever.

Yah definitely, the practicality can’t be beat!

I hate that some dealerships have amazing deals on totally non practical fun cars these days dammit wait til the kids move out (haha I’ll be dead then)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bomb posted:

What do Euros do about 3 children?

Ok Hans time to get into the trailer!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

All our kids have grown up with cats and dogs (who have always been incredibly tolerant of kids and no “dangerous” breeds) and we’ve really instilled into them to be respectful of the animals space and to let the animals come to them. Never had a bite or scratch incident except for an accident where a kid’s hand was just resting on the cat tower and the cat ran up the tower and gave her a bit of a claw from a back foot launch.

We would always have introductory interactions when everyone was calm and relaxed and even a little bit sleepy - after the dogs ate their evening meal was a great time because they were chill. Just gentle pats on the side while they were lying down. The most important thing is always give the animal an avenue to just leave if they feel stressed. No using the dogs as pillows or trying to ride them!

I have a niece who is obsessively dog crazy and has been nipped a few times because she just overwhelms the dog and tries to get it to stay while she is lavishing it with attention. Just too aggro. We put our dogs away when they visit, more for their sake. I am pretty confident they would not nip her (although I would break it up before it got to that point) but she obviously just stresses them out with her weird manic animal obsessive energy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There are some cooler fabric swaddle options that use velcro to get a nice tight swaddle instead of a lot of fabrics, those worked wonders for us.

Also whatever the replacement for those auto rocking cots are, our youngest loved those before they got recalled just when she grew out of them. With the music and vibration feature they were really great, I assume a safer solution is on the market now..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not sure if this helps but my 2yo and 4yo love sharing a room, which became necessary with our third newborn. Although there were initially some nights of resistance/regret on their part.

Having a minivan is a huge convenience.

We love having all three, but it's very understandable if your situation doesn't make it easy. I am very tired.

SO tired, 3 definitely takes a lot out of you especially for the “I thought I was done with this!” Factor.

We’re trying to figure out the room sharing too, right now the 8yo (B) and 5yo(G) share a room with a bunk bed and the 2 yo(G) has her own. We would like to put the girls together in a room but the 2yo is a complete tyrant and brutalizes her older sister who justifiably is really wary of her little sister.

That said the interplay between the 3 of them has been fascinating to watch and really quite heartwarming most of the time. I come from a 2 kid family so it was not something I was used to. We’re pretty convinced the youngest will be both the protector and tormentor of her older sister.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Family loving up schedules is a consistent annoyance with us too, to the point of we’ve essentially just banned drop-ins without any prior notice (even before covid) because of how disruptive it is. It would usually be my dad who would do it, leading to me getting poo poo from my wife, so I just told him look you can’t do this anymore. We have a schedule. If you can come during this time when she’s up awesome otherwise gonna have to wait til she’s older.

Feels good to stick to it and reduce one element of the nonstop chaos of life.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

marchantia posted:

We don't gently caress around with naptime. It's a hard boundary and if people are salty about it they can kiss my whole rear end because they aren't the ones dealing with the fallout.

:agreed: doubly so when they know you have a schedule and still show up whenever or show up hours late and it is impinging on naptime. Tough poo poo, sorry we’re closed!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My work buddy just found out they are having a boy in a few months, they have an 18 month old girl right now. My main advice: if you let down your guard for a second you WILL get peed on. (You will probably get peed on regardless)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 2yo is becoming an expert in trolling her older (5) sister. Like, master level stuff.

2yo playing with a ball, running around and tossing it to herself

5yo: Hi want to play with me??

2yo: No

5yo: Please?

2yo: Go way. I busy.

5yo: But whyyyyy won't you play with me?

2yo: *pauses, leans in* you too noisy

5yo: *softly, beginning to choke up* I am not

2yo: *finger to lips* shhhhhhh, quiet!

5yo is now despondent, crying

2yo: you too noisy

I mean goddamn

(I should add the 2yo is by FAR the loudest)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man my kids (and I!) love that Bluey show. It’s crazy good. Just catching up on Season 2. So many “no I’m no crying, kids!” moments, laff.

E: omg in “the show” where the balloon pops and bandit takes chili’s hand, holy crap.

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 29, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

remigious posted:

This thread is legit terrifying to read sometimes as someone expecting their first child. My big takeaway is stick to a schedule no matter what!

Two more takeaways are: it seems like it takes forever when you’re in it but after you’ll be amazed on how fast things actually happened, 0-3 is a goddamn blur

And

You’ll miss the good parts of it when they get bigger

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

In tantrums always assess via HALT. Is the subject hungry, angry lonely or tired. If its not one of these four then its something to work on. Works on adults too.

& G for Gassy (also me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those must be some spectacular poops!