Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's everyone's opinion on earlier (3 years old) schooling? I'm assuming no objectively right answer but figure there's probably some good personal experience here. We have a 3.5 year old and only child who had been moving around with us (we're military) and we finally bought a house and settled down somewhere. We'd like to start her in a preschool program, and they offer full day (8 to 5) and half day (8 to 11) options and we're not sure which to take. We're not worried about the education or learning as much as social and structured classroom interaction with other kids and adults that aren't me and the wife.

I feel like a full day might be unecessarily much for a 3 year old that doesn't nap (but I'm envisioning rigid classroom schedules which might not be true), but I'm also not sure what 3 hours a day twice a week makes it worth the tuition over just going to the playground. I started kindergarten at 4 but I think the age has changed nowadays so looking at what might be best fit for her until she starts pre-K at 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of moving, man I love making big decisions like this for the family. Where everyone hates you and you constantly feel like you're doing the wrong thing. It's such an awesome great feeling. Just today we had our semi-annual teacher's conference (where she again told us how good she's doing and how awesome she is) and then I broke the news we were moving over the summer and even her teacher started crying.

Feelin' like a real champ lately.

I'm glad our daughter was not yet in school so I didn't have to deal with this (and also so she didn't get shocked from everything closing with COVID). We moved every one or two years until college and I hated every single one but now I can't stay in one spot for more than a couple years without getting bored. For what it's worth I loved that we moved so much, I just didn't realize it until I was 21 so you might have they going for you!

priznat posted:

She just goes from 9 til 1pm so it isn’t too tiring and she can still have an afternoon nap.

I feel like this is perfect. I think my main issue is my options are all day which I think is too long, or 3 hours which I think is too short, I need a nice half-day middle option.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 8, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
On potty training chat I need some wisdom before I lose my mind. Our 2.5 year old daughter took to the toilet quickly; she wouldn't tell us she needed to go and hold it, but we could put her on the potty seat and she would go and get a candy. Found out that she doesn't like to pee without a diaper on so could somes get her to warn is if she wasn't wearing one and wasn't distracted. She's always distracted so lots of peeing on the floor but still progress.

By the absolute worst luck, the first time she tried to poop on the toilet she was badly constipated, and since then she hates sitting on the toilet and is scared of trying to go anymore. Am I doomed forever or do I need to spend a week with her non stop with no diaper to hopefully make her HAVE to use the toilet? Please recommend a magic solution to solve everything here.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 3yo regressed after initial potty success so I just gave up for a year.

Well the goes my preschool enrollment. I feel like she's actively trolling me half the time she doesn't go anymore.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have three kids so I don't have the energy to do that, but good luck.

I don't work so I tried this, I lasted 3 days.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

femcastra posted:

My kid is 3 years and 1 month and we transitioned her to the toddler bed about 3 weeks ago. Her little sister is almost 10 months old.

It’s awesome. We introduced a gro clock when she turned 3 so she knew when to wake up and when it was sleep time, and to avoid too many barge ins. It’s working well and she likes the independence of being able to get out of bed.

She hasn’t been a terror with it at all, and because she’s used to not being able to get out of the cot, she takes being in bed pretty seriously.

Our 3.5 year old daughter will not sleep or stay asleep if not in the bed with me. We let her sleep with us because it was an easy way to let us sleep through the night from early on but we're ordering for it now. I'm hoping I can reason with her when she's 4 and understands what we're trying to do...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 9, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

hooah posted:

Looking for some advice for our daughter, who we're apparently raising to be an outspoken racist? She's 5.5. We recently moved from San Antonio, where her daycare had decent diversity, to Georgia, where it's less good (although not 100% white). Last weekend we had a guy over to do some yard work, and it's fairly clear English is not his first language. He told my wife twice that our daughter told him that he doesn't understand her that well.

Then this weekend, they're staying at my in-laws', and they're out for a walk in the woods and a black guy comes jogging up the path towards them. My daughter says "There's a black guy coming!". My mother-in-law said "Yes, we see him." "Ok, I just thought I should warn you."

We're of course far from perfect, both growing up white in America, but we thought we've been doing a decent job of raising her to be aware of race, but that it's differences between people that should be celebrated, not that differences are negative. We try to consciously ensure her books are diverse, and we try to make a point of discussing the races of the characters at times. We've also started pointing out some things that are racist in culture.

How should we approach this particular incident, and what kinds of things can we do going forward?

I think I would ask my daughter (why she felt she needed to do these things first (or where she learned then from). I'd probably approach it differently if she's just copying (or misinterpreting) something she saw on tv vs if she really feels it's necessary to warn your in laws about black people, (or if someone taught her that). vs. nothing actually malicious involved at all. I can also see the conversation with the landscaper as her just being blunt about what she's feeling and more an issue of politeness.

That being said I only have a 3 year old so I'm not as familiar with what a 5 year old is capable of.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 10, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

redreader posted:

We haven't started looking at schools yet and we know literally nothing about schools or how to judge schools or whatever. I don't want to do charter schools because from what I can tell they're not any better than normal schools and often exist just to allow racial segregation / make money?

How do we judge schools? What 'school review' site is good? Etc.

We use Niche and Schooldigger. Niche gives a rough above/below average/highly rated based on various factors that in not familiar with, but I really go there because they list the percentage of students proficient in math and reading. This isn't perfectly correlated to school program and could also reflect demographics/backgrounds/attending the school, but it's a start. Schooldigger will rate the the school out of all schools in the state (ie: 200 of 1500 elementary schools) based on more factors I haven't broken down. Both sites have a million more ratings you can look at if you want, but I usually just do that to make sure I'm comfortable with a school vs. trying to pick between two different ones.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Koivunen posted:

We are going through the “everything hurts” phase right now too. The most minor of bumps, and often nothing at all, she’s going “Ouch!!! Kiss it?!?” Then holding out various body parts.

She turned two a few days ago, and the morning of her birthday, woke up at 2am fully awake. My husband tried to get her back to sleep until 4am, then I took over, and finally at 5:30 I gave up and brought her into bed with me for the first time ever. She slept until 7. Now every night since she has woken up between 2-4am, fully awake, asking to sleep in mommy’s crib. Bedtime has also suddenly become a struggle, she does not want to let go of me and there’s wailing and tears and it’s just.... uuugghhh. Welcome to Two.

Our 3.5 yo still sleeps my bed with us because we both worked and having to choose between sleep training or an easy full night rest at 2 yo was an easy decision at the time. We're paying for it now but I don't think we would have survived back then. I figure it's going to suck whenever we do it, but at least now we can talk to her and let her know what we're doing and we know she's screaming at us because she's mad at having to use her bed vs something else.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
3.5 yo potty training done(?)! Only took 4 days tied to her the whole time but apparently the missing step was just to just get rid of the diapers because she didn't want to pee or poop if she wasn't wearing anything; 2 days later she's in underwear without any accidents so now I just need to ween her off the jellybeans she's been getting everytime she pees, and figure out how to use disgusting public bathrooms where I don't want to touch anything (that's more training me).

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Our daughter is 3.5 now and just stopped napping from sometime when she was 2. We never figure out why; she napped in day care, but at soon as we pulled her out and she was was home with us she never did it again. Not sure if it was something we did or if it's a bad thing for her growth/development, But she goes to bed fine wakes up in the morning in time, and isn't crabby around when naps are supposed to be so we were told not to worry about it. My wife tried driving her around every day around nap time to get her to fall asleep but that lasted maybe 10 days and I gave up trying to force it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I finally got my daughter (mostly)potty trained this week. I thought we were done and finished but seeing these posts scares me since we are moving to our new home in a month and I didn't know potty regression was a thing...

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Our daughter had been doing daycare since 3 months old and never 'adjusted' in that she always cried when we dropped her off in the morning for 2 years straight. She recovered and was just fine really quickly after we left and happy the rest of the day and couldn't care less that we were gone, it's just the act of actually watching us leave her she never accepted. Best way to do it was to sneak out once she was distracted.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the difference between 4 and 4t underwear sizes for kids? Daughter doesn't wear a diaper and I can't find anything that tells me what I'm supposed to be getting her.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Made it 3.5 years without baby putting things in her nose but here we are; Somehow got a gigantic ball of Play-Doh all the way in the back beyond where I can see our reach and had my first introduction on Google to the 'Mother's Kiss.' I was skeptical but man it was a worked incredibly well and should be standard parent training.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We eventually gave up trying to sit on the toilet every hour, asking every hour, etc. because there was pee everywhere all the time. Eventually we noticed that our kid would get upset and hold it if she had to pee but wasn't wearing anything (diapers or pants) and I guess was just used to going in her pants. Took the plunge and just stopped putting on pants or diapers and stuck to her all the time so as soon as she started yelling that she needed to pee but wasn't wearing her pants we'd put her on the toilet and she'd go because she had to instead of trying to make herself pee. After that it took maybe a couple weeks and a couple more accidents before she got it down.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Decided it's time to get our 5 yr old to start sleeping in her own bedroom since it's cheaper than buying a king bed so she can stay in our bed and still turn 90 degrees in her sleep and kick us. If course, it also means we don't sleep either. She doesn't cry in her room, she just walks into our room every hour and I've probably walked a mile just walking her back to bed this week. What's the secret to get this over with and get our sanity back? I even floated the idea on whether getting a dog that would sleep in her bed would work...

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What board games and card games so your kids like playing? I have a 5 year old daughter that I wanted to get the Disney princess uno and pretty pretty princess, regardless of whatever the box recommended ages are, and I'm hoping I'm not jumping into something that'll be to hard or frustrating for her.

I guess I'm also wondering how you handled competition and losing. I'm not planning anything like purposefully crushing her as a lesson or anything, but man she hates competing and losing. And to date over only done coop games with her.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

davebo posted:

Could she have heard someone using "nerts" as a fill-in for nuts or gently caress, because I've done that. Didn't Tina Fey do that in 30 Rock a lot?

Also, yesterday we went to our first indoor park (like those ones Blippi always goes to) and it was awesome. Then today after he suggested we go again I had to explain to him why we can't really do that every day like how we ride the bike and carriage to the park by our house, since one thing is free and the other costs over $20.

All the kids in our playgroup have been walking around saying what sounds like oh poo poo for the past ever. Finally got to the bottom of it today and turns out they're just copying "sheets, oh, sheets" from the bluey housework episode