Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

zonohedron posted:

I've seen pacifier medicine dispensers, but never tried them because my older son never liked pacifiers and my younger son stopped liking them before he ever needed antibiotics. Has anyone had any luck with those? (I assume your kid's done with antibiotics already, KingColliwog.)

Never used one, but our doc recommended getting our kid to suck on the nipple of a bottle and just squirting the meds in there from the other side and it worked like a champ. I'd imagine they work similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
22 month old just pooped in the potty, looked me directly in the eyes and said, "Boom."

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

umbrage posted:

For nuts and bolts, if you know other parents, just find the pediatrician who gets wide-eyed recommendations from people, and use them and their staff. They're really the only people who see hojillions of newborns (and stressed-out parents), so they really have seen it all. You'll be seeing them at a pretty regular cadence in the first year, so you get plenty of Q&A time. It needs to be a provider that "gets" you, though, from a mindset standpoint.

In addition to this, ours has a 24 hour nurse line where you can call whenever and speak to a nurse. I'd highly recommend something similar.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
8 months and 2 teeth here too. Mostly he's doing vegetables steamed until squishy. Love carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, as well as raw banana and avocado. Lentils work (just cook them mushy) but he wants to hold the spoon which is messy as hell. I agree with Flashy in that basically anything that he can handle and manipulate himself is a lot easier to get him to eat. On the whole, I agree with mixing in something your kid likes with something unfamiliar. A mixed set of veggie cubes goes over pretty well as long as he knows a couple he'll tear through it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

In the same vein you could look into infant led weaning.

Yeah. My youngest is super iffy with a spoon, it just depends on mood, but if it's something he can grab and do himself, he's all over it. Most of it is cubes of various steamed root veggies, avocado, peas, banana, apples and pears (maybe microwaved briefly if they're pretty hard). As summer comes, we'll be adding a lot of squash and watermelon and other summer treats. As SpaceCadetBob suggested he loves those teething biscuit things too. One of those smeared with a little creamy peanut butter is one of his favorites.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

laxbro posted:

Our newborn was born with a full head of hair, and it is even longer now at 3 weeks. We just had her laying down on her mat in our living room, and she went from looking serenely out the window to screaming bloody murder. I ran over and she had a fist full of her hair scrunched up in her hand on the top of her scalp and was pulling it. The louder she screamed the tighter her fist wrapped around hair. Should we give her a haircut? Having her wear a hat all the time doesn't seem feasible. Will she soon learn that pulling her hair hurts? Any other ideas?

I feel like on some level newborns have Alien Hand Syndrome. A non-trivial amount of crying from both of mine was based on things like, "This hand is grabbing my ear, make it stop!" or "Why won't these hands stop hitting me in the nose!"

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I guess there is a specific bacteria that has been found in formula that can't survive above ~158° F

I mean, compared to the meat guidelines of 165 for an instant or 150 for 90 seconds, that seems pretty much inline with foodborne illnesses.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Friends of ours took their 4 and 2 year olds to see fireworks last night and invited us. We declined. They thought we were being overly cautious in not wanting to bring our 2.5 year and 2 month olds to see fireworks.

I definitely wouldn't take my 2 month old to a fireworks celebration, but are we depriving our 2.5 year old of an experience by wanting to keep to her bedtime schedule and avoid potential "loud noise" fears?

We took our 2.5 year old to one back in September. It worked out OK. I'd say it really depends on how they handle bedtime. She's pretty flexible with it. She's usually up the same time the next day, but her natural wakeup is around 9, so even getting home late she wasn't too too short on sleep. We made doubly sure she had a good nap the next day and it seemed fine.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

My son is almost 2 and we're planning a large ish birthday party for him with some rented picnic tables and BBQ space at a park.

What did you guys do for 2yr birthday parties? Should I plan some actual activities beyond "hey go play in the park?" We have a bubble machine so we'll probably bring that. Also what are some appropriate items for goodie bags?

My son also finally started saying some words: mama, dada and roomba. We're working on others but he only has a small variety of syllables he can do.

We went to a 3 year old birthday party earlier this summer at some picnic tables in a park. Other than donuts and something that wasn't really a pinata, the kids just played on the playground for the whole time.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

What are the best resources/methods to find and screen for a good local daycare? Any things to look out for specifically when choosing? I will also be a first time (super paranoid) parent soon and will likely need daycare at 6 months.

Yeah, recommendations from friends/neighbors is handy. I'm in Texas and the state maintains a public database of all daycare violations as well. That was nice, pretty much everywhere we looked had some, but there's a substantive difference between a minor violation for paperwork or whatever vs repeated violations for dangerous playgrounds or being out of ratio. One place we looked at had been cited a few times before for having too high of a student to teacher ratio. We visited anyways on the recommendation of some friends and they were too high (5 infants to 1 teacher) when we visited. Geez.

I'd definitely recommend visiting. We popped into a lot around here, some that were recommended, others that we'd just driven past. Every place we visited was willing to show us around, whether we'd called in advance or not. Talk to the teachers. See how they interact with kids. Like one place we went some kid was crying literally the whole time we were there and never got any attention from the teacher. Does it look like a place a kid might enjoy going? Are the kids enjoying it? Ask about teacher turnover. I feel like long term teachers probably like doing it. Ask about how they handle medication, sunscreen, and bug spray. There's places here that won't apply sunscreen, which means if they have a day with a lot of outdoor activity, you've gotta put it on before drop off and just hope it lasts. It's probably not relevant now, but a lot of them here had extra programs, gymnastics, Spanish, or whatever. See what's offered and at what cost. Definitely check on how they handle breastmilk/formula and how they transition to solids. One place I looked at they couldn't start eating off the school menu until 18 months. Forget that. Some we visited had iPads where every feeding, nap, and diaper changed was logged and can be accessed remotely for minute by minute updates through the day. Some have infant rooms that are remotely viewable.

Ultimately, go with the school where you feel most comfortable. You may have to make sacrifices, especially if you prefer cloth diapers or glass bottles or something, but figure out what's most important to you and go with it.

We wound up settling on a smaller school. It's lower tech than some, but that comes with a lower price tag too. They have a cook in house that makes meals daily and a widely varied menu (chicken nuggets only once a month!). Their infant room teachers were there forever, the lead for like 18 years. They do a lot of activities, this summer there's been multiple splash days, Pirate and Mermaid day, Luau day, etc. Part of what really sold us was seeing the director talk to one of the mom's picking up. She was running the joint but clearly knew the kid and the family and was interested. The big downside is their long rear end waitlist and now my second kid is in another daycare while we wait for a spot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BonoMan posted:

They said first grade hence the first grade readers... Just trying to make sense of it all!

It's not tied to grade. It's more like difficulty level. Pre-reader, Level 1, Level 2, etc. A lot of big series have a few different options. Daniel Tiger, Pete the Cat, and others all have sets of difficulty rated books. Ours isn't reading yet, but Elephant and Piggie play well and look to generally be rated for kids k-grade 2.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll vouch for Aldi diapers being dirt cheap and working well.

For what it's worth the Seventh Generation diapers are the exact opposite.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My kid was on coloring videos, then play-doh videos, and now it's sort of videos of people playing with paw patrol toys. It got crazy there for a bit and it's all being pared back down now.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not much suggestion there as we had about the same experience. Just be aware that long terms colds (particularly with colored snot) can turn into ear infections. Tugging at the ear, crying when laid flat, and a fever are some signs to look out for.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Due to scenarios involving contribution periods and bad predictions too boring to detail here, my wife and I find ourselves in the position of needing to spend $300 on FSA-eligible products within the next 48 hours. (And we need to spend another $1000 before the end of the year.) We're normally pretty healthy people but she's expecting our first kid in January so we figure this is a good time to stock up on baby supplies.

We've been browsing the FSA store and are aware of the big-ticket items like breast pumps and orthopedic support pillows, but what is some of the smaller miscellaneous medical equipment you found invaluable for a newborn, and what is just junk? I'm talking thermometers, nose cleaning enemas, rectal catheters to help with tummy gas, etc.

NoseFrida was my preference for nasal cleaning. My wife can't seem to use it, so we have a cleanable bulb syringe for her, but it's less effective. If she'll be pumping, breast milk storage bags (we found no real difference between Medela, Lansinoh, and Target brand except price), nursing pads, my wife liked the Medela Quick Cleansing Wipes when she was pumping at work. Honestly, you could probably blow 300 bucks on bags and pads and not be too bad off.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, one of our cats just spent about 6 weeks hanging out in the office instead of where the baby was. It just takes some time. That behavior was preferable to the cat who would come and get me when the baby cried, up to the point of biting me if I didn't attend to it. It didn't matter if mom had the kid, nope, cat's gonna bite dad to go fix it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
If you're really worried, I'd just sneak in after she went to bed and cover her up. Mostly if she's not losing sleep, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

Have you taken him to the doctor? He could have an ear infection.

That was my first thought as well.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

nwin posted:

She’s going to call a Lactation consultant for some advice and maybe a home visit. My concern is I can never tell if he’s eating enough on breast feeding, but I guess there’s a thing where they will weigh him pre and post feeding to give us an idea. She’s ok supplementing with formula though, and that’s what we’ve done today and yesterday. Her pumping numbers are up today though so that’s good.

We were kinda freaking out at one point because the kid was nursing for a very short period of time. There were other bits, but that was the root cause, and having someone come out and weigh the baby and realize she really was sucking down 3-5oz that fast was super comforting and did a lot for our peace of mind when we were tired, overwhelmed, and generally not in a good place to make reasonable decisions ourselves. It was money well spent.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

life is killing me posted:

I mean, last night our six month-old woke up at midnight and it took us an hour to get him back to sleep--one of the worst nights in remembrance when it comes to getting him BACK to sleep. Last night I found myself longing not just for the newborn days but also the thought crept in that I'd even take the early days of sleep regression as he sometimes violently refused rocking and kept bobbing his head back up and scratching his face seemingly just to keep himself awake for some unknown reason. Kids fighting sleep is nothing new, and it especially isn't for our boy--it'll be in the middle of the night, or super early morning, when he's sitting there rubbing his eyes and we've tried everything in the book and he's been comfort nursing for the past twenty minutes to the point he's biting Mom's nipple. We know he's tired, we know he needs sleep, and yet it feels like he's waking up and refusing to go back to sleep for the sole purpose of making us miserable to see how much we can take before we say, "gently caress IT" and leave him in the rocker

This was me last month. Wife was out of town for about 7 days nights in a 2 week span. 4 of them he woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep for 90 minutes. Wouldn't take a bottle, didn't want to be comforted, nothing. Just a contrarian 14 month old. Of course, when she was back, he was down to sleeping through the night. Of course, two molars and a stomach bug later and we're now back to a toddler who demands middle of the night comforting because he got used to it after molars and a stomach bug. Little dude, we'll all be happier if you just sleep through the night! That's you too!

I'm not saying that's why he had to wear a ridiculous halloween costume. All I'm saying is that dads have ways of getting even.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

FunOne posted:

Keep the items small and do not create a tangle risk. Wait till your kiddo appears capable of manipulating objects. Don't give them an adult blanket. Or a giant toy that can fall on them.

On pillow talk, we gave kiddo one about a year, maybe a year and a half. Doesn't really sleep on it, not even now that he has moved to a bed. They still help for story time and whatnot, so no harm in having them in there.

Yeah, ours got a pillow at one and a half or two. Mostly because she started asking for one. At 3.5 now and the pillow is pretty hit and miss. Maybe 40% of the time she's still on it in the morning.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

My poor itchy 5 month old was just diagnosed with eczema. He has cradle cap on his head/face too. The regiment of lotions we started not even a week ago has helped out significantly. Is there anything else we can do to alleviate his symptoms or help so he doesn't get a flare-up? He finally slept through the whole night last night last night. Part of me wonders if the reason he was waking up some nights was because of his skin.

Ours had awful eczema at that age, and at the worst point, nothing short of prescription hydrocortisone did anything. Generally it's been better since then. The doc always said it was worse in winter because the air was drier and running the heater also exacerbated things. The big recommendations were room temp baths, nothing too hot, with gentle soap and then lotion right after and if was particularly bad lotion and then a barrier cream (aquaphor/vaseline) on top of it. And coconut oil frequently on the scalp. I'd assume that a humidifier could help if dry air is an issue, though I don't specifically remember that recommendation. And yes, I heartily believe some of our sleep problems at that age were due to just general discomfort due to eczema. He'd just wriggle and wriggle like he was trying to scratch his shoulders against the bed.

Once we got past the initial outbreak, it was much better, just daily lotion on the bad spots and OTC hydrocortisone if it seemed to need it. Sounds like you've got some lotions that work, we struggled finding some at first, but settled on Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm. He's 18 months now and nothing was anywhere near as bad as that initial 4/5 month flare up. We were sort of worried this winter it'd spring back up, but it hasn't been bad, just the occasional dry spot. He has a few distinct problem areas, notably his shoulders and cheeks, so we just sort of routinely lotion those at night and keep an eye out for anything that looks like it's not responding.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

Does changing clothes detergent help? If so, are tide pods worth it or a waste of money?

We were already using some fancy detergent at that point, probably Biokleen, so I can't really say. I seem to recall we made sure we were doing non-fragrance, but that's about it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks to whomever recommended Tumble Leaf. My 3.5 year old kept wanting to watch and rewatch PJ Mask and we're off on a whole new and much better tangent with our bit of screen time.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sarah posted:

Since giving birth 3 months ago I’ve learned that babies have the Call of the Void. They are constantly trying to find ways to kill themselves.

Yup. One of my good dad moments was changing my daughter in public and she rolled off the changing table and I caught her mid-air by the ankle before she hit anything. Then when changing my boy on a bed, he literally turned over, crawled across and off the bed before I could even react. Like what the hell man?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Anyone with any advice on a rash that has turned into open sores? His diaper sticks to it and makes it worse, almost seems like it rips his skin off. It's raw and hurts my kid when I change his diaper. Luckily, pee is sterile and so we don't always have to wipe him with a wet diaper and we add more desitin as needed instead of wiping off, but this isn't enough. He's had thrush for over a week and while the nystatin is helping in his mouth, he puts his hands in his mouth and they go straight to his junk when I'm changing his diaper. So, he has what looks to be a yeast infection that nystatin cream isn't working on at all, plus the open sores. He has a bowel movement each morning almost like clockwork, which does nothing to help the sores either.

In addition to nystatin and desitin, we've been adding vaseline to it for an extra barrier of protection against the germs from his poop hindering his healing, but we are pretty close to taking him to his pediatrician if the sores and yeast infection don't improve soon.

I'd go ahead and go. Ours had a bad one that just wasn't getting better despite a variety of OTC antifungals, and we got a couple scrips that helped clear things up. Otherwise, diaper-free time is recommended often, get it all a chance to air out and whatnot. I think baking soda baths are supposed to help as well, but if you're looking at open sores and a week+ with no improvement, I'd see the doc.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Oooh, this is a good suggestion too. I wonder why Maalox? Is it the magnesium in it or something? Why ever it works, these are all things we will probably try in the next couple of days, but this is one I haven't heard and if it worked for yours then it can't hurt right?

This is an old school sort of rec. My mom had recommended just milk of magnesia on the spots. Similar to the baking soda baths, it's a base and can help neutralize any acid from excrement, and yeast generally prefer a slightly more acidic environment.

quote:

We might try diaper-free time, is this with clothes on or just naked baby?

We'd put a shirt on if warranted, but generally just kinda hanging out either outside if it's suitable or on a large beach towel or something.

On the dented head, if possible I'd just call the doc and see what they think. Something like that I think they'd be able to tell us over the phone whether it warrants a visit or not.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Just chiming in to that as a scandinavialiure, I'm so loving glad I'm not getting kids in the US. Your whole system appears to be actively hostile against getting and raising kids.

It's deliberately hostile against anything that may make you a less productive worker.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Can they/are they willing to check with other local CVS to see if anyone has the doses?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Both of mine take/took shoes off. The oldest used to take shoes off the other kids in daycare too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

diapermeat posted:

As they get older they realize that it's grape flavor and delicious, at least mine did :)

Yeah, our kid vastly prefers dye-free and the grape flavor to cherry. I think he's right.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

So my parents were babysitting their grand nephew(?) and after he pooped, he got on all fours and stuck his butt in the air to be wiped. Apparently his daycare taught him that but it just sounds weird to me. Has anyone ever seen that wiping method before?

Sounds handy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

laxbro posted:

Are temper tantrums in 14 month olds normal? My daughter is about 3 months ahead of schedule size and development wise, but I was hoping that epic tantrums wouldn't start in earnest until she was two. My wife and I have been caught off guard this past week - we haven't really planned how we will "parent" through a tantrum so we end up reinforcing the tantrums by giving in to whatever she is throwing a tantrum about. For example, she usually throws a tantrum if we don't pick her up. She will follow us around latching onto our legs and pushing her head between our legs until she gets picked up. Something else that I'm at a loss with is during a tantrum, she will start arching her back and throwing her body backwards without any regard for whether she might hurt herself. Any tips for how to deal with this?

The past few days have been pretty overwhelming so any tips, resources, or books on toddlers would be appreciated. Any behavioral red flags to watch out for? She's generally a happy kid, but she had a fever last week and got injured at daycare today so these past few days have been really rough for her and we are kind of at a loss at what to do besides making sure that she feels safe and loved.

"Terrible Twos" is a really optimistic name for "Terrible 1 and change through till 3 and a bit." It depends on the kid, but once they realize they can push those boundaries, they start. They won't nicely wait until their two, unfortunately.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Pinus Porcus posted:

My 16 month old is currently wearing clothes ranging from 6 to 24 mos. All depends-Carters seems to mis-cut a lot of clothes-I've got 12 and 18 month stuff that I swear are the same size. Also, I have found that the clothes my sister-in-law buys in Alabama (she buys in store brands that I can't get here in the PNW without ordering online) run really big compared to things like Carters.

We found with our first that some Carters ran smaller than others based on where they were made. I want to say Cambodia was smaller than other places, but it's been a couple years.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Consignment stores and sales are a great source of cheap clothes. In the DC area there is a bi-annual consignment sale called the Wee Sale which has a LOT of good stuff for cheap.

In Dallas area it's Divine Consign and it's awesome. Just so many clothes. And other stuff. The bulk of our kids gifts and clothes comes from their every year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

2DEG posted:

Hey ya'll, gently caress molars. gently caress them so hard. Bub's got both lower 1st molars and canines coming in and goddamit I just finished night weaning him and was finally, finally starting to see longer stretches of sleep. Fuuuuuck.

As discussed previously, the apparently best tasting tylenol is Target's dye free grape.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Am I imagining things, or was there not a flavorless Tylenol on the market in the late 80s/early 90s? My wee dude is cutting four molars at once,2 top 2 bottom, and he loathes the grape so much it will send him into a screaming fit that ends in puking. I’ve googled and called pharmacies and nothing, though lots of people in their mid-30s seem to remember it existing.

No clue. In tylenol we've only seen awful cherry and moderately less awful grape. Pretty sure I've seen Berry motrin, but no unflavored. If I recall, the acetaminofen is somewhat bitter, so I imagine all of them are sweetened and flavored.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
We always just went with socks on the hands.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

If you don't know, the theory here is not to focus on negative behaviors because children view attention as value neutral, so eg responding to whining or tantrums just makes them stronger. My question is, in pre-vocal children, how do I differentiate "Actually Needs Tending" cries versus "manipulative infant sociopathy" cries?

Like they literally can't be manipulative until a year old or something like that. Even after that it's a stretch. They're mostly pretty obvious. And they do cry a fair bit. Tantrums and whatnot are manipulative sure, but most of it is just that kids don't have the emotional calluses we do. Everything hits them harder.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Renegret posted:

Even once they're a toddler and they get old enough to throw tantrums, the vast majority of tantrums are due to communication problems, usually because they don't have the words needed to express themselves.

Yeah, definitely this. With my 2 year old, I've gotten a whole lot of mileage out of "Show me" when he gets frustrated and can't figure out how to say what he wants. Granted, sometimes that does result in a meltdown when the response is "No, you can't have more rice krispies. I'll be vacuuming until your mom gets home!" but still, that's an easier thing to deal with then him being frustrated because he realizes I don't know he wants rice krispies to get everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Just curious - do your daycares provide lunch/snacks, or do you send your own?

Another FB group mom posted about packing her 14 month old's snack box and the way that everyone else chimed in made me realize that maybe it isn't the norm in that a daycare provides all food (except breastmilk, obvs)? I'm not always 100% thrilled with some of the food choices at mine, but honestly I don't care if he eats donut holes once a week if I means I don't have to worry about sending food yet

Did 2 daycares. Both provide snack, lunch, snack, with whole milk at lunch. That seems to be the norm here, though I know at least 1 that doesn't do snacks. Quality varies. We toured some that was very elementary cafeteria type stuff with Pasta-Sandwich-Mac&Cheese-Chicken nuggets-Pizza in that order every week. The one we ended up at tries to do healthier stuff and and basically doesn't repeat any meals over the course of the month.